inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Summer of 2016 - Summer of magic?

Written By: Dankmemer420 on 04/08/21 at 2:04 am

I’ve seen a lot of posts about this in the r/GenZ and r/generationology subreddits but no matter if they were born in 1995 or 2008 people on there most people say that they remember the summer of 2016 being a magical summer that goes down as one of their favorites all time. In my case, I was 12/13.

There are a few other summers that I would say had some of this magic (2011, 2015, 2017, and 2019) but none of them came close to 2016.

For me from like May 10 to September 10 there was just something special in 2016.

The first thing I remember was reading The Outsiders in English class in school and doing this plant project in my science class to close out the school year (seventh grade), we had a lot of fun with it and I remember being really edgy with my friends during it.

Then the second to last weekend in May I went on a camping trip with my Scout troop and we spent most of the time screwing around. A lot of funny stuff happened that made it one of my favorite camping trips ever.

Then the first week in June we had our school field trip to the zoo and because my mom was chaperoning she let my group get away with using our phones to take selfies and pictures (which the school were sticklers about).

Then the next week I advanced a rank in Scouts and my team in Little League won the World Series in my last year being able to play which was really cool. I think the McJuggerNuggets Psycho Series ended right around here which also was exciting for me to watch.

Then the week before school ended, I remember it vividly being June 17, we had our grade wide toga party where we played games like the Greeks and the Romans and it was so much fun because we got to walk around the middle school like we owned the place, our school was 5-7 so we were the kings anyways. I got to by my sister’s classes (fifth grade) and tease her which was fun. But I also remember getting to know my crush better while hanging out with my good friends too.

Then when school actually ended the next week, we had a party the following weekend where my friends, my crush, and my sister’s friends all came over for a party. There’s pictures of me and my crush spraying each other with water blasters in the pool from this.

Then in July, my family went on vacation to this resort by the beach and we got to play lots of mini-golf and hang out by the pool, which was pretty cool for me. I also remember my mom being adamantly against me playing Pokémon Go and reconnecting with one of my classmates who moved away in fourth grade.

Then the first week of August I went to summer camp for Scouts and while it was hard leaving my family for a week at first I got past it and had so much fun. At the end of the week my parents brought up a cake and we had a celebration for my 13th birthday, which was cool. I remember people being all excited about Suicide Squad because it was the same day that that came out.

Then the next week I actually turned 13, which was a big step for me, and the week after that I got my braces which really made me feel like I was a teenager.

Then two weeks after that it was back to school and we were really excited to start the year and I remember it being a rush and the next few weeks of school were too before it wore off.

Even two years ago I would have called you crazy if you told me I’d be super nostalgic for 2016 now, but here I am. Sure it was super awkward and cringe inducing but I still miss it a lot because of all of the fun moments I had then.

Does anybody else feel the same way about summer 2016? What about other summers?

Subject: Re: Summer of 2016 - Summer of magic?

Written By: violet_shy on 04/08/21 at 2:43 am

For me, it was Summer 1993. I was 12 and then turned 13 and the beginning of 8th grade. It was that perfect, Idyllic Summer. The antics, the experiences, the fun, the music. Summer 1993 was magical too.

Maybe it has something to do with our being 12 or 13 years old.

I was well into my 30s in 2016. But to me the Summer of 2015 was more amazing!

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/08/21 at 11:39 am

For me, it was Summer 1993. I was 12 and then turned 13 and the beginning of 8th grade. It was that perfect, Idyllic Summer. The antics, the experiences, the fun, the music. Summer 1993 was magical too.

Maybe it has something to do with our being 12 or 13 years old.

I was well into my 30s in 2016. But to me the Summer of 2015 was more amazing!

For me it was Summer of 1992 as I was that same age, 13 and in between my 7th and 8th grade years. A lot of good memories.

Actually it used to be that every summer that had the Summer Olympics were magical, including 1988, 1996, 2000, 2004, 2008, and even 2012 (the magical feeling started to dwindle in the later ones as I got older). 2016 finally seemed to break the trend as turned out rather depressing for me toward the end as my close aunt had terminal cancer (and passed away in September). Of course we all know how 2020 went.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 04/08/21 at 7:02 pm

That summer was such a mixed bag for me. I just finished my GCSEs and was $h***** bricks everyday thinking I failed and that I would get kicked out or something. But in July I got my PS4 which I had been waiting 2 years to get which took my mind of the pain. I also went out with school friends for the very first time since primary school(I was a recluse). 

Written By: Slim95 on 04/11/21 at 3:33 am

There was nothing magical about the summer of 2016 besides Pokemon Go if you are into that kind of thing..

Written By: Slim95 on 04/11/21 at 3:35 am

That summer was such a mixed bag for me. I just finished my GCSEs and was $h***** bricks everyday thinking I failed and that I would get kicked out or something. But in July I got my PS4 which I had been waiting 2 years to get which took my mind of the pain. I also went out with school friends for the very first time since primary school(I was a recluse).

Same it was a mixed bag for me too. I remember that summer specifically was really cold and rainy. We barely got any sun all summer which really sucked.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 04/11/21 at 9:40 am

Same it was a mixed bag for me too. I remember that summer specifically was really cold and rainy. We barely got any sun all summer which really sucked.

What country do you live in? Even in the UK we got a lot of sun that summer.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/11/21 at 12:35 pm

Over the years I have always enjoyed the Olympics, Summer and Winter, and in 2016, at the time of Rio Summer Olympics. I was in a far-eastern country, and was unable to watch the sporting events, for it was only on pay-to-view channels. Even now, I cannot tell you who won what.

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/11/21 at 6:54 pm

Summer 2016 I magically survived. I just moved in here and was trying to get my other house fixed up and sold. Making 2 house payments and 2 utility payments plus repairs. Plus the $500 child support payments. My savings was dwindling down to nothing. I got lucky I sold the house quickly and before winter.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/11/21 at 6:55 pm

What country do you live in? Even in the UK we got a lot of sun that summer.

I live in Canada

Check for new replies or respond here...