inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favourite and least favourite year of the 2010s?

Written By: NightmareFarm on 04/08/21 at 8:10 pm

Favourite: 2013. I was 12 turning 13, old enough to have some freedom from my parents and starting to feel respected by everyone rather than hated(Kind of like Naruto) or avoided but young enough to not have many responsibilities and be judged harshly by society. I felt like I was coming into my own personally, becoming more competent and figuring everything out. Pokemon X and Y had been revealed at the very start of the year which got me on a raging hype boner that would last the duration of the year. Smash Bros for the 3DS and Wii U reveal got me even more hype. Then I got a 3DS for my 13th birthday which secured both games. For me, everything was exciting and perfect and although I got bullied a bit, it was still very happy and optimistic. Theres also a lot of other things I was involved in at the time which made it great for me.

As for the actual year itself I won't put on nostalgia goggles and sugarcoat it. Objectively it wasn't perfect and it shares glaring flaws other years of the 10s seem to have like boring, loud music and trashy youth culture(Look no further than Vine, aka Tiktok Beta). But the year had optimistic vibes and it felt fresh compared to previous years. Music shifted from electropop to indie and other stuff. Youtube started to feel different for better or worse.  In my area, Minecraft started to become very popular and we started having MC LAN parties at school. It was a massive transitional shift year for gaming culture. Wii U had effectively just launched, Pokemon X and Y released, GTA V released, TLOU released, Smash 4 was announced, Minecraft reached its peak in popularity, Next gen consoles released and we got to see the graphics of the new consoles. For better or worse fashion changed as the "paintbrush" hairstyle became mainstream. Objectively I wouldn't really say its a good year though, I mainly like it for personal reasons.

Worst: 2015. I won't delve into personal reasons that much but in short it was a complete hellscape filled with sorrow, decay and teen angst. Everything looked so bright and it all came crashing down. Sept-Dec 2015 wasn't too bad however since I got used to it and found new things to cope with like playing street fighter and people started respecting me somewhat again. My school timetable was much better than the previous year. Dragon ball super weekly was also pretty lit.

Objectively, like every other year of the decade I thought it was pretty bad. Music sucked as usual. Watch me nae nae is arguably the worst song I have ever heard in my life. Gaming was alright I guess. DB Xenoverse and Pokemon ORAS was lit. And there were some cool games I invested in for when I would get my PS4 the following year like MGSV and Mortal Kombat X. The memes at the time were fresh and funny. There isn't really much to say about the pop culture and stuff that happened in the year. Besides the start and rise of Trump's campaign it was a lifeless generic 10's year.

So yeah, thats my opinion. What about you guys?

Subject: Re: Favourite and least favourite year of the 2010s?

Written By: violet_shy on 04/08/21 at 8:50 pm

Favorite: 2015
Least favorite: 2010

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/09/21 at 12:53 am

Every year is blessing to be alive!

Written By: NightmareFarm on 04/09/21 at 7:23 am

Favorite: 2015
Least favorite: 2010

How come?

Written By: Wink-182 on 04/09/21 at 11:43 am

Favorite would be 2010: Lot of memories from that year, especially that summer, hearing about the World Cup and spending lots of time playing Addicting Games.com and watching TV and lounging around in the living room, a lazy summer, but one of my more vivid childhood memories.

Least Favorite: 2014. Wasn't a great year for me, Grandma on my Mom's side died and I was going through a lot of trouble at school.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/11/21 at 1:13 pm

2013 is my favourite. 2012 was my least favourite with 2018 coming at a close second.

Written By: violet_shy on 04/11/21 at 1:58 pm

How come?

Well, 2010 was a bad year for me personally. I even blocked it from my memory for good.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 04/11/21 at 2:12 pm

2013 is my favourite. 2012 was my least favourite with 2018 coming at a close second.

How come your favourite and least favourite year is next to each other?

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/12/21 at 12:42 pm

Funny thing is it was the exact opposite for me. 2012 was actually my favorite along with 2018 and 2015, while 2014 was my least favorite along with 2013 (actually the 2nd half of 2013 and the 1st half of 2014 was an absolute nightmare, worse than 2020).

Here's my reasons

2012 - Lots of traveling around Europe
2015 - Deployment and seeing places like Israel, and getting married
2018 - First full year of freedom after retiring from the Navy, lots of good vibes and some traveling

2014 - Waking up almost every morning knowing my day was going to be miserable. Lots of stress and anxiety from work, little to no rest. The second half things started to turn around, but not as a good as 2015.
2013 - Started with breaking off an engagement which resulted in mixed feelings, but mostly depression and wanting to go back. I was doing some things to help me forget like continuing traveling around Europe, but in the summer was when things went further downhill with my new work situation and continued into 2014.

Written By: duenas8 on 04/12/21 at 11:30 pm

Favorite: 2015. Simply I loved it, culturally and personally
Least favorite: 2018. Though I loved its music (one of my favorites, musically speaking) my life was really rough in that year

Written By: mqg96 on 04/13/21 at 8:48 am

Favorite: 2014 (2019 comes close at 2nd)
Worst: 2016

I wish I appreciated 2013 more as it was going on, the pop culture was excellent that year (and even in 2012 too even tho some ppl may not have liked 2012), but 2013 was really awful for me because I hated junior year and that summer as well. Fall 2013 is when life started improving for me again, thanks to my senior year starting.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 04/16/21 at 1:49 am

Favorite: either 2010 or 2011. Maybe even 2012.

Least Favorite: 2018: where hope goes to die.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/18/21 at 2:03 pm

How come your favourite and least favourite year is next to each other?

Funny it worked out that way but yeah it is.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/18/21 at 2:04 pm

Favorite: 2014 (2019 comes close at 2nd)
Worst: 2016

I wish I appreciated 2013 more as it was going on, the pop culture was excellent that year (and even in 2012 too even tho some ppl may not have liked 2012), but 2013 was really awful for me because I hated junior year and that summer as well. Fall 2013 is when life started improving for me again, thanks to my senior year starting.

Hey dude I haven't seen you in a long time.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/19/21 at 6:58 am

Funny it worked out that way but yeah it is.

Especially when you have a great year following a crappy one, it makes you appreciate it even more when things get better. That's why 2015 felt so much better for me after living through 2014.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/19/21 at 6:22 pm

Hey dude I haven't seen you in a long time.

I miss all of you guys and gals. I rarely pop on this site now because over the last (almost 2 years), I've found a new community somewhere else, and I've been having a great time. Sadly some of the closest friends I had on this site don't even pop on here anymore, but a few of you still do including you. So I still stop by every now and then. I finally graduate college this year, and when I do, I will let y'all know.

Check for new replies or respond here...