inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: DVDs the VHS of the 2010s ?

Written By: CarCar on 05/18/21 at 2:40 pm

CD/DVDs were popular in the 2000s and were innovative in the 1990s but by the 2010s when streaming started to become a thing. DVD sales slumped by 67% between 2011-2018

Did DVDs go the way of VHS did in the 2000s ?

Written By: Dude111 on 05/19/21 at 1:01 am

I love VHS,I just watched DIE HARD III (1995) recorded from analogue cable  (Request (PPV)) and its beautiful!!!

Subject: Re: DVDs the VHS of the 2010s ?

Written By: Slim95 on 05/19/21 at 1:24 am

Yes but it was way less noticable in the 2010s than how VHS died in the 2000s. Even though DVDs are ancient technology, there are still people who aren't comfortable without a physical media device so it makes DVDs look less dead than VHS looked.

Written By: CarCar on 05/19/21 at 12:54 pm

Yes but it was way less noticable in the 2010s than how VHS died in the 2000s. Even though DVDs are ancient technology, there are still people who aren't comfortable without a physical media device so it makes DVDs look less dead than VHS looked.

Well until people find some solution for that I guess it’s still on the decline.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/19/21 at 1:19 pm

True. DVDs (and CDs) aren't really alive, they're just less dead.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/19/21 at 1:21 pm

True. DVDs (and CDs) aren't really alive, they're just less dead.
They certainly do not live and breathe?

Written By: NightmareFarm on 05/19/21 at 11:38 pm

Not exactly.

DVDs completely replaced VHS since it did everything VHS did but better.

Streaming on the otherhand doesn't replace DVDs since it's a different alternative to accessing media where you pay on a regular basis rather than buy it and then own it. Which is why DVDs are still being sold.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/21 at 4:04 am

Not exactly.

DVDs completely replaced VHS since it did everything VHS did but better.

Streaming on the otherhand doesn't replace DVDs since it's a different alternative to accessing media where you pay on a regular basis rather than buy it and then own it. Which is why DVDs are still being sold.
Indeed, DVDs are useful for those without Wi-Fi access.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 05/20/21 at 4:13 am

Indeed, DVDs are useful for those without Wi-Fi access.

Yeah and if they want to own media rather than merely rent it. I prefer DVD myself since I know can watch or play something whenever I want without having to continually pay.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/21 at 4:17 am

Yeah and if they want to own media rather than merely rent it. I prefer DVD myself since I know can watch or play something whenever I want without having to continually pay.
...you extras too, deleted scenes, a director's commentary, etc.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/31/21 at 2:58 pm

...you extras too, deleted scenes, a director's commentary, etc.
...and some go cheaply in the remaining record stores?

Written By: whistledog on 05/31/21 at 3:15 pm

DVDs are still quite popular, but mostly among those who have not upgraded to (at least) Blu-Ray yet.  Whenever my local wal-mart gets new releases, the DVDs sell quite fast

Written By: Slim95 on 05/31/21 at 3:34 pm

DVDs are still quite popular, but mostly among those who have not upgraded to (at least) Blu-Ray yet.  Whenever my local wal-mart gets new releases, the DVDs sell quite fast

Actually Blu-Ray is dead. Refer to my other thread and look at the stats Slowpoke posted on there. Blu Ray never surpassed DVDs and never will. It is about streaming now. If a person wants physicality then they would pick up a DVD since it is more versatile over a Blu Ray. But both options are still around. Blu Ray never fully replaced DVDs nor will it. No reason for it to since DVDs have the same capabilities as they are able to play HD as well. Both disks can still scratch. So DVDs haven't been eaten up by Blu Ray.

Written By: whistledog on 05/31/21 at 9:18 pm

Actually Blu-Ray is dead. Refer to my other thread and look at the stats Slowpoke posted on there. Blu Ray never surpassed DVDs and never will. It is about streaming now. If a person wants physicality then they would pick up a DVD since it is more versatile over a Blu Ray. But both options are still around. Blu Ray never fully replaced DVDs nor will it. No reason for it to since DVDs have the same capabilities as they are able to play HD as well. Both disks can still scratch. So DVDs haven't been eaten up by Blu Ray.

Dead means no one is buying it.  People still buy Blu-rays.  I still buy Blu-rays

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/21 at 1:03 am

Blu Ray is still being sold in the store HMV, and are available for purchase on it's website and other leading selling websites.

Written By: Howard on 06/01/21 at 6:51 am

...and some go cheaply in the remaining record stores?

That's what happens, they go in one pile to be sold for cheap prices.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/21 at 6:54 am

That's what happens, they go in one pile to be sold for cheap prices.
When my local store is open, I am always trying to find one film!

Written By: whistledog on 06/02/21 at 1:16 am

Film companies have been trying to phase out DVDs.  Most new release Blu-Rays come with the DVD, and most 4K releases come with a Blu-Ray.  With a DVD, you only get just the DVD and no Digital HD code

Written By: Slim95 on 06/02/21 at 1:20 am

Film companies have been trying to phase out DVDs.  Most new release Blu-Rays come with the DVD, and most 4K releases come with a Blu-Ray.  With a DVD, you only get just the DVD and no Digital HD code

Most people don't use either Blu Ray or DVD but stream instead. But for physical devices, both Blu Ray and DVD are viable options. Blu Ray isn't really replacing DVDs, it's just an alternative to it. But DVDs are still around. Just not popular not because of Blu Ray, but because of streaming.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/02/21 at 1:24 am

Most people don't use either Blu Ray or DVD but stream instead. But for physical devices, both Blu Ray and DVD are viable options. Blu Ray isn't really replacing DVDs, it's just an alternative to it. But DVDs are still around. Just not popular not because of Blu Ray, but because of streaming.
The majority of films I watch are recorded for television.

Written By: Dude111 on 06/03/21 at 9:40 am

Ya I prefer VHS if I can get a movie on VHS and all.........

Check for new replies or respond here...