inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most Innocent Year of the 2010s?

Written By: Slim95 on 05/19/21 at 1:21 am

What would you say was the most innocent year of the 2010s and why?

Subject: Re: Most Innocent Year of the 2010s?

Written By: CarCar on 05/19/21 at 12:55 pm

What would you say was the most innocent year of the 2010s and why?

Probably 2010 least innocent has to be 2019 when Megan Thee Stalion released Hot Girl Summer while in 2010 Hey Soul Sister was at the top of the charts

Written By: passthegabagool on 05/19/21 at 12:59 pm

2010 comes to mind. 2017 seems like the least innocent.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 05/19/21 at 11:46 pm

2011. That year was very calm, lighthearted and filled with post-brunt of recession optimism vibes. Especially in the music at the time.

Least innocent was 2016 due to the rise of the alt right, pre trump hysteria and the beginning of mainstream political warfare.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/20/21 at 1:05 pm

I would say the early 2010s were not innocent since you had the recession and then the school shooting in 2012. And the announcement of Bin Ladin getting killed only raised more political distrust since no one believed it.

For this reason, I think the most innocent year of the 2010s was 2013. It was before the era of constant mass shootings and consistent political tensions online, but after the era of the great recession and bad music.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/20/21 at 5:08 pm

2011. That year was very calm, lighthearted and filled with post-brunt of recession optimism vibes. Especially in the music at the time.

Least innocent was 2016 due to the rise of the alt right, pre trump hysteria and the beginning of mainstream political warfare.

That's what I was thinking. For most innocent it was a toss up between 2011 and 2010. Both had that laid-back vibe and fun culture.

Written By: CarCar on 05/21/21 at 9:30 pm

I would say the early 2010s were not innocent since you had the recession and then the school shooting in 2012. And the announcement of Bin Ladin getting killed only raised more political distrust since no one believed it.

For this reason, I think the most innocent year of the 2010s was 2013. It was before the era of constant mass shootings and consistent political tensions online, but after the era of the great recession and bad music.

Didn’t 2013 start the whole trend though ? I remember people protesting in 2012-2013 because of Trayvon martin

Written By: NightmareFarm on 05/21/21 at 9:37 pm

Pretty much every era has had some dark aspects of it. In 80s you had cold war, in late 90s you had columbine shooting, in early 00s you had 9/11, etc. Early 10s was still overall a very optimistic time and this reflected in the arts.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/21/21 at 9:41 pm

Pretty much every era has had some dark aspects of it. In 80s you had cold war, in late 90s you had columbine shooting, in early 00s you had 9/11, etc. Early 10s was still overall a very optimistic time and this reflected in the arts.

No it wasn't. If you weren't a kid back then, you would know the recession was not optimistic. And the school shooting was very depressing. And the bad music was depressing too.

You were what, 10 years old? So of course it would feel optimistic to you due to your perspective. That is how I see 2005, even though it wasn't totally peaceful at that time. But for everyone who was not a kid it was clear. The early 2010s were not optimistic, the recession was in full swing and music was at its worst.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 05/21/21 at 9:46 pm

No it wasn't. If you weren't a kid back then, you would know the recession was not optimistic. And the school shooting was very depressing. And the bad music was depressing too.

You were what, 10 years old? So of course it would feel optimistic to you due to your perspective. That is how I see 2005, even though it wasn't totally peaceful at that time. But for everyone who was not a kid it was clear. The early 2010s were not optimistic, the recession was in full swing and music was at its worst.

The brunt of the recession was in 2008 and 9, right? After that the economy started to recover. And if we're bringing music into this say what you want about its quality(not a fan of early 10s music myself) but it was definitely optimistic in the early 10s. Colour started coming back into video games as well whereas late 00s games were just brown, beige and gray.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/21/21 at 10:06 pm

The brunt of the recession was in 2008 and 9, right? After that the economy started to recover. And if we're bringing music into this say what you want about its quality(not a fan of early 10s music myself) but it was definitely optimistic in the early 10s. Colour started coming back into video games as well whereas late 00s games were just brown, beige and gray.

Actually the recession started in '08/09 but it didn't fully recover in 2010. You were still dealing with the after effects of it in the early 2010s. And to make matters worse, in the early 2010s was when everyone pretty much had a smartphone and became way less social. It was just such a corny and depressing time.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 05/21/21 at 10:11 pm

Actually the recession started in '08/09 but it didn't fully recover in 2010. You were still dealing with the after effects of it in the early 2010s. And to make matters worse, in the early 2010s was when everyone pretty much had a smartphone and became way less social. It was just such a corny and depressing time.

Yeah which is why I said the brunt. 08 and 09 were the worst part of it, whilst it was far from over in the early 10s, it was still recovering which was something people were optimistic for. The smartphone boom in the early 10s was when it was still a novelty and there wasn't any widespread fatigue for it yet. I'm not making a case for why it's good because I don't think it is but at the time everything seemed a lot more optimistic. And much more optimistic than the mid and late 10s.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/22/21 at 12:32 am

Yeah which is why I said the brunt. 08 and 09 were the worst part of it, whilst it was far from over in the early 10s, it was still recovering which was something people were optimistic for. The smartphone boom in the early 10s was when it was still a novelty and there wasn't any widespread fatigue for it yet. I'm not making a case for why it's good because I don't think it is but at the time everything seemed a lot more optimistic. And much more optimistic than the mid and late 10s.

I don't see it that way. I think despite there being more violence in later years, the early 2010s was still pessimistic. There was a lot of problems back then as well. Sometimes putting on nostalgia glasses make people forget. But I'll never forget how horrible the early 2010s era was. Especially with the corny music and pop culture.

Check for new replies or respond here...