inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think that there will be 2010s nostalgia in the 2030s and 2040s?

Written By: deloresthegreat on 06/09/21 at 5:10 pm

I turned 16 in April, so I'm obviously Generation Z.  I was born in 2005, and so of course my childhood was... well, pretty much in the 2010s (I'm a teen now, in 2021, and will graduate from high school in 2023, which is still early 2020s.  I guess I'll become an adult this decade, lol.) 

I know that the 2010s pretty much just ended, but I've personally noticed a lot of 1980s and 1990s nostalgia (I swear that 2000s nostalgia will be sweeping in if it hasn't already... I haven't been outside much in the past yr so I actually can't really tell?,) and have noticed that there is an every 2-3 decades rule in regards to nostalgia.  This makes me wonder about if there will be 2010s nostalgia (will I'm sure there will be?,) and what you can imagine that looking like.  I suppose that my generation would really be most nostalgic for the 2010s, I know that my older brother (who was born in late 1999,) must really miss certain aspects of the 2010s.

For me, it's difficult, because I've been depressed for much of my life though that doesn't necessarily mean that my view of everything that took place last decade was super bleak?  I think that the apps (Instagram, Tumblr, even Snapchat somewhat,) that I use will eventually go out of style, and that maybe in a sense even though I can't imagine it, we'll actually be nostalgic for them? Tumblr in particular has a very specific culture that I can think of, even though I probably wasn't as big of a user for it as some people, that I can see myself feeling nostalgic about.

And for me, when I think about how 2010s nostalgia might look... I also think back to the cartoons from the 2010s that I remember watching?  (I also watched a lot of 90s and 2000s cartoons, I def think that those three decades were better for cartoons than the 1980s even though I also really dig the 80s like the most of any decade?)  I remember "Steven Universe" and how special that show was to me (even though I never really finished it, lol.)  I remember "Adventure Time" to some extent too, even though I also never really watched it through fully... I do remember watching some of the episodes on Cartoon Network back when I was little.  I definitely remember "Regular Show" positively in regards to nostalgia and have actually recently started rewatching it, for some reason I remember "Regular Show" as being a bigger part of my childhood than the other two shows just because I remember when it used to come on back in the early 2010s and tuning in to watch it? 

Do you think 2010s nostalgia will pop up in the 2030s and 2040s? 

Subject: Re: Do you think that there will be 2010s nostalgia in the 2030s and 2040s?

Written By: NightmareFarm on 06/10/21 at 7:35 am

Assuming we don't get wiped out by a nuclear war or global warming or something then yeah.

Subject: Re: Do you think that there will be 2010s nostalgia in the 2030s and 2040s?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/21 at 9:27 am

If I am still around then, I'll let you know?

Written By: BotleyCrew on 06/11/21 at 10:29 pm

I've actually seen some nostalgia for 2010s meme culture on Twitter already. For instance, here's a hypothetical rage comic about covid:

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/807/606/008

Rebecca Black's Friday remix video was another example:

iCFOcqsnc9Y

There's also the popular account @oldmemearchive which mostly posts early 2010s memes.

Check for new replies or respond here...