inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Solar Eclipse of 2017

Written By: Slim95 on 06/11/21 at 5:01 pm

Do you guys have any memories or stories of what you were doing during the Solar Eclipse of 2017? I remember I was woth my brother and he was saying how he felt the White Walkers were on their way as it looked eerie (in reference to Game of Thrones). I also remember my mother texting me and saying how it feels like nighttime (even if it was in the middle of the day). I also remember how goggles were sold out everywhere. My father used welding goggles at his work. I myself built a special telescope to view out of. What were you guys doing?

Subject: Re: The Solar Eclipse of 2017

Written By: BotleyCrew on 06/11/21 at 10:10 pm

I remember the bits of light shining through the trees became crescent shaped and I got a lot of good pictures

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/11/21 at 11:11 pm

I made a special trip to the best place I could think of to see it. Chester Illinois. Had nearly the longest duration and wasn’t busy. I camped in my Jeep. They gave out free eclipse glasses. I went out driving back roads with nothing but farms and fields. I watched it from the driveway of this abandoned farm house. Nearest people were half mile away. First time I’d ever seen a total solar eclipse. It was so blistering hot and humid the whole time that I was barely hanging on. But lucky it was a clear day. The eclipse saved me, it cooled off quite a bit. It was really pretty, it looked so much smaller way up there than a sunset looks. Definitely looked like an eye in the sky. Another thing that was pretty was the 360 degree sunset. Going home it started fine then the traffic backups hit. Entire freeways were closed because the traffic was backed up so far. Then the clutch failed in my Jeep. Not burning it up in traffic, but rather the clutch seized on the input shaft and it wouldn’t disengage. I ended up limping it to Mt Vernon Illinois and the Midas fixed it the next day. Really nice and reasonable folks. So I stayed at the nearest hotel which was a Super 8 and it stunk so bad of mold. I ended putting coffee and wipes over the AC to try and filter out the smell.

In 2024 I’m going to the next one. It won’t be as far. I’ll also make it a point to not try and go home the same day.

Written By: nally on 09/11/21 at 11:18 am

Just three weeks ago, was the 4th anniversary of it. I remember it quite well; it could be seen from where I was.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 09/11/21 at 3:21 pm

I dont think I experienced this one.

Check for new replies or respond here...