inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did things start to suck for children growing up in the 2010s?

Written By: Slim95 on 07/14/21 at 10:21 pm

You know how as kids in the respective decade we've grown up in we all have that one year in mind where we start to see a massive decline in pop culture? For the 2000s it's 2006, for the 1990s it's 1997, etc. What about for the 2010s? 2016? Or something else? What year would you see 2010s kids saying things started to decline and why?

Subject: Re: When did things start to suck for children growing up in the 2010s?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/21 at 12:54 am

I cannot say and have not notice in any decline in childhood culture, if fact my granddaughter is enjoying all aspect of her childhood.

Subject: Re: When did things start to suck for children growing up in the 2010s?

Written By: NightmareFarm on 07/15/21 at 1:47 am

There's no decline because pop culture sucked during the entire 10s

Written By: Slim95 on 07/15/21 at 11:12 am

There's no decline because pop culture sucked during the entire 10s

It's relative. Things get worse as time goes on but it's still relative.

Written By: CarCar on 07/16/21 at 1:30 pm

I cannot say and have not notice in any decline in childhood culture, if fact my granddaughter is enjoying all aspect of her childhood.

Isn’t this what it’s like for all kids tbh

This post is so unnecessary

Written By: Contigo on 07/16/21 at 2:57 pm

I think most children/kids are like that, its only when we get older that we start losing interest in pop culture. By the time I got married, children and a great job, other things became inportant,  I had less time for pop culture and it was around that time I thought it started to suck. And that was around the late 1980s. 

Written By: CarCar on 07/16/21 at 3:26 pm

I think most children/kids are like that, its only when we get older that we start losing interest in pop culture. By the time I got married, children and a great job, other things became inportant,  I had less time for pop culture and it was around that time I thought it started to suck. And that was around the late 1980s.

Wow, are you’re Kids Gen X ?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/16/21 at 5:09 pm

I was still single then but I agree I lost interest in pop culture in the very late 1980s.  My career was in full swing at the time.  To me, pop culture changed noticeably then (1988 and later).

Written By: violet_shy on 07/16/21 at 5:31 pm

You know how as kids in the respective decade we've grown up in we all have that one year in mind where we start to see a massive decline in pop culture? For the 2000s it's 2006, for the 1990s it's 1997, etc. What about for the 2010s? 2016? Or something else? What year would you see 2010s kids saying things started to decline and why?

To me, 1997 was the last great year of the 90s.

Written By: Contigo on 07/16/21 at 7:27 pm

Wow, are you’re Kids Gen X ?

I don't know the age-frame of Gen X is but my son was born in the mid 80s

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 07/18/21 at 7:17 am

I don't know the age-frame of Gen X is but my son was born in the mid 80s

By the definitions used by Pew Research and Gallup, someone born in the mid-1980s would be a Millennial.  Of course, there's always lots of disagreement on this subject.

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 07/18/21 at 8:47 am

I started to lose interest in (and also lose track of) pop culture in the mid-1980s, when I was in college.

I think it's interesting that AmericanGirl, Contigo and I all name almost exactly the same time frame, even though I think we're slightly different ages.  It makes we wonder if it's more than just a stage-of-life issue.  Perhaps there was also something inherent about the culture of the time.

It seemed that much of the entertainment was deliberately targeted at kids or teenagers.  Almost everything in the mainstream culture felt so bourgeois and decadent.  (I was going through my Marxist phase at the time.)  I remember thinking a lot of the fashion was hideous.  (I wasn't the only one.  I remember other guys making fun of the magazine and newspaper fashions, the yuppie look, the preppy look, etc.)  I became enchanted with the music of the 60s and 70s.  The PG-13 rating was invented and TV and mainstream movies became increasingly dumbed down, seemingly aimed at kids and teens.  I felt increasingly left out.  I began to appreciate pre-80s Hollywood as well as more indie-type films and foreign films.  I never truly melded with the vibe of the 1980s.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/18/21 at 9:40 am

I started to lose interest in (and also lose track of) pop culture in the mid-1980s, when I was in college.

I think it's interesting that AmericanGirl, Contigo and I all name almost exactly the same time frame, even though I think we're slightly different ages.  It makes we wonder if it's more than just a stage-of-life issue.  Perhaps there was also something inherent about the culture of the time.

It seemed that much of the entertainment was deliberately targeted at kids or teenagers.  Almost everything in the mainstream culture felt so bourgeois and decadent.  (I was going through my Marxist phase at the time.)  I remember thinking a lot of the fashion was hideous.  (I wasn't the only one.  I remember other guys making fun of the magazine and newspaper fashions, the yuppie look, the preppy look, etc.)  I became enchanted with the music of the 60s and 70s.  The PG-13 rating was invented and TV and mainstream movies became increasingly dumbed down, seemingly aimed at kids and teens.  I felt increasingly left out.  I began to appreciate pre-80s Hollywood as well as more indie-type films and foreign films.  I never truly melded with the vibe of the 1980s.

Add me to the list. I'm basically of the age group you mention, and it happened to me too in the 80s. Having experienced a lot that was deeply meaningful in the culture of the 60s and 70s, the 80s left me cold. I remember noticing that emerging rock stars started looking "cartoonish" to me, such as Billy Idol, who seemed more of an MTV version of a punk than an actual punk. (Even though he pre-dates MTV and his band, interestingly enough called "Generation X", were a boomer band from the 70s). I first saw Madonna one of the earliest times they broadcast her on MTV and I thought "This doesn't seem like rock & roll, she should be on Broadway or something". It seemed all artifice and no art. I remember watching a new late night talk show with this newish guy David Letterman and instead of the serious conversation one got in the 70s with Dick Cavett and David Frost, or the sophisticated banter one got with Johnny Carson, Letterman offered nothing but snark, good though he might have been at it. It was all such a tangible, palpable change from what had come so recently before. And, to me, it was not a change in a good way.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/18/21 at 2:18 pm

This post is so unnecessary

If you don't like it you can feel free to not comment on the thread though..

Written By: CarCar on 07/18/21 at 2:30 pm

Aren’t most 2010s kids still kids ?

I doubt they care that a bunch of 2000s kids pity them for they’re toys or apps tbh

Let the kids enjoy Jojo Siwa, Baby Shark and Roblox in peace

Written By: kitesarefun on 12/09/21 at 6:49 am

I was born in 1999. It was in 2014 (age 14/15) when I noticed that mainstream music and tv/film started to change and I didn't like it so I mostly stopped paying attention to it.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 12/09/21 at 3:18 pm

Unless living conditions are trash, kids tend to enjoy their childhood and pay no attention to if pop culture is "good" or not. I still think some eras were better to grow up in than others. The late 2000's/early 2010's was an AMAZING time to be a kid! The Wii/DS/3DS era, mobile gaming became a thing, great cartoons like Gumball & Regular Show, lots of music targeted towards kids/teens, old YouTube, etc. I feel like there was a dip in kid pop culture quality in the mid 2010's. Other than the pandemic (which is a huge decrease in life quality for kids growing up today), I think culture is great for them today. Kids today get to grow up with ENDLESS entertainment on multiple platforms in a way that kids 10 years ago today weren't able to

Written By: Slim95 on 12/21/21 at 11:49 pm

Unless living conditions are trash, kids tend to enjoy their childhood and pay no attention to if pop culture is "good" or not. I still think some eras were better to grow up in than others. The late 2000's/early 2010's was an AMAZING time to be a kid! The Wii/DS/3DS era, mobile gaming became a thing, great cartoons like Gumball & Regular Show, lots of music targeted towards kids/teens, old YouTube, etc. I feel like there was a dip in kid pop culture quality in the mid 2010's. Other than the pandemic (which is a huge decrease in life quality for kids growing up today), I think culture is great for them today. Kids today get to grow up with ENDLESS entertainment on multiple platforms in a way that kids 10 years ago today weren't able to

Um no that's completely wrong. I was 11 in 2006. Therefore I was a kid. That was the year I noticed pop culture went down the toilet and I started listening to underground music. So that's wrong what you said.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 12/22/21 at 8:25 am

I do not agree.. at all.. that 2006 was a bad year, but when it comes to this aspect of what Jacob said:

Kids today get to grow up with ENDLESS entertainment on multiple platforms in a way that kids 10 years ago today weren't able to

I would tend to disagree because I can't help but think 'until the online content takedowns happen.'

I think it was 2009 or 2008, at earliest, when things started to suck in the 2000s. Regarding the 2010s, I wouldn't be surprised if it was 2016, but I don't have an opinion on it, really, at least at the moment.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/25/21 at 3:02 pm

As for politics, sure Donald Trump was bad but I don't think anyone can honestly say Joe Biden is a good president... He belongs in a care home. It is pretty much elder abuse at this point. And life was not abnormal while Donald Trump was president.

Written By: Howard on 12/26/21 at 3:38 am

As for politics, sure Donald Trump was bad but I don't think anyone can honestly say Joe Biden is a good president... He belongs in a care home. It is pretty much elder abuse at this point. And life was not abnormal while Donald Trump was president.

You're right, I don't understand why they have presidents at Joe Biden's age, they're not going to last long anyhow.

Written By: youngbull316 on 01/01/22 at 5:00 pm

I'd say somewhere between 2013 and 2016 is where it started to suck growing up in the 2010s. And this is coming from someone who grew up entirely in the 2010s (born 2002).

Written By: ThatBitch1007 on 02/02/22 at 2:55 am

There's never been a time where it started to suck for 2010s kids. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Written By: NightmareFarm on 02/02/22 at 10:21 am

I hate the entire decade from an objective standpoint(as in not biased by personal life) but i'd say everything went complete tits-up around 2016.

Written By: Big Smoke on 03/23/23 at 8:36 pm

I don't think its a matter of when but I think it always sucked for child (and parents) since the beiginng of the decade IMO with the rise of SM/smartphones since 2010 we literally have computers in our pockets and most parents today GIVE their child BRAND NEW PHONES I remember growing up grade/middle school in 2010-2014ish????? I saw kids (as young as 10) with BRAND NEW iPhone 4/4s /5c (2013) (well new att,not new now of coarse) which had no parental controls or anything so unrestricted access to the internet I don't blame the parents, either with all this tech out a kid thats has no phone might get FOMO and beg their parents for one and I agree with the person above me 2016+ it's much worse now since Social Media has gotten more political than ever exposing kids to even more complex topics, its nothing new the "should kids have internet access/cell phones" debate has been going on since the early 00s but since then phones have been getting powerful more cablable and ever connected than just 10 years before the 2010s debuted but hey it can be done I spend the first five-ish years (2010-Mid 2016) (half of elemetantry/middle/early high school days) without a cell phone and I did fine my mom (and dad) always told me If I wanted a mobile device I WORK for it. but I digress I'd say my "childhood" was fine despite 2016 or whatever and my brothers kids are fine too they are raised right they aren't allowing to see certain things because they are too young (like 5-8), despite any time period a parent has to "adapt" to modern times to keep children in check and its hard due to info/tech/ FOMO crazed world we live in today . but childhoods don't have to suck AT ANY DECADE it really depends on the family, situation, etc at the given time.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/28/23 at 7:52 am

I do not agree.. at all.. that 2006 was a bad year, but when it comes to this aspect of what Jacob said:

I would tend to disagree because I can't help but think 'until the online content takedowns happen.'

I think it was 2009 or 2008, at earliest, when things started to suck in the 2000s. Regarding the 2010s, I wouldn't be surprised if it was 2016, but I don't have an opinion on it, really, at least at the moment.

2006 was lame pop-culture wise. It lacked in good music, movies, and TV shows if compared to 2005 or 2007. My personal life wasn't too great either and it is one of my least favorite years of the 2000's (only the post 9/11/2001-2003 was worse for me). But it was still the 2000's which were simpler times, so still not too terribly bad. Overall I'd give it about a 5.5/10.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 03/30/23 at 10:40 pm

2006 was lame pop-culture wise. It lacked in good music, movies, and TV shows if compared to 2005 or 2007. My personal life wasn't too great either and it is one of my least favorite years of the 2000's (only the post 9/11/2001-2003 was worse for me). But it was still the 2000's which were simpler times, so still not too terribly bad. Overall I'd give it about a 5.5/10.

I wasn't wanting to say anything, but then I decided to say at the beginning of my response here that I'm not going to put forth the idea that 2005 is "not as good" as 2006 objectively.

The reason I grimace at the suggestion that 2006 is bad is that in 2005, I was traumatized into becoming a more hateful person.

Since I became homeless earlier this year, I no longer have to live with the piece of crap who did this to me, and even then, he's responsible for making me lose access to some of my things since this year started.

I probably won't say what it was this living mistake did to me in 2005, specifically, or at least specify it any time soon, but 2006 gave me cause to think I'm not only smarter but have the capability of being way smarter than him.

And from what other things I do remember, it wouldn't be later than 2005 that I was turned into a way more hateful person.

I normally wouldn't even say this much, but since my housing situation isn't secure, I'm just going to keep as much hatred from starting anew in my mind as I can by explaining why I will never hate 2006.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 04/06/23 at 2:45 pm

Add me to the list. I'm basically of the age group you mention, and it happened to me too in the 80s. Having experienced a lot that was deeply meaningful in the culture of the 60s and 70s, the 80s left me cold. I remember noticing that emerging rock stars started looking "cartoonish" to me, such as Billy Idol, who seemed more of an MTV version of a punk than an actual punk. (Even though he pre-dates MTV and his band, interestingly enough called "Generation X", were a boomer band from the 70s). I first saw Madonna one of the earliest times they broadcast her on MTV and I thought "This doesn't seem like rock & roll, she should be on Broadway or something". It seemed all artifice and no art. I remember watching a new late night talk show with this newish guy David Letterman and instead of the serious conversation one got in the 70s with Dick Cavett and David Frost, or the sophisticated banter one got with Johnny Carson, Letterman offered nothing but snark, good though he might have been at it. It was all such a tangible, palpable change from what had come so recently before. And, to me, it was not a change in a good way.

This is a really good observation of how popular media has been degraded. A serious country needs serious media, not cleverness and snark.

Check for new replies or respond here...