inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 2010s are officially Cheugy

Written By: CarCar on 07/16/21 at 1:31 pm

https://youtu.be/Rtl78sE212s

The 2010s are corny to Gen Z

Subject: Re: The 2010s are officially Cheugy

Written By: BotleyCrew on 07/17/21 at 1:36 pm

To be honest, those "cheugy" fashions do look extremely out of date

Written By: Howard on 07/17/21 at 1:47 pm

What the heck is Cheugy?  ???

Written By: BotleyCrew on 07/17/21 at 2:16 pm

New slang for slightly out of date and uncool according to the articles. A lot of young people say no one says it and the media just made it up though.

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 07/18/21 at 5:49 am

Cheugy == Millennial (in terms of aesthetics)

In other words, from the perspective of Gen Z, old-fashioned, cringey, etc.

It's sort-of like how, back in the day, young Boomers thought of their elders' aesthetic sensibilties as being "square".

Written By: Howard on 07/18/21 at 7:29 am

New slang for slightly out of date and uncool according to the articles. A lot of young people say no one says it and the media just made it up though.

OK, I'm new to that slang word.

Written By: whistledog on 07/20/21 at 5:55 am

An up and coming hip hop singer

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/21/21 at 5:11 am

How is it even pronounced, like "chew-gy"?

Written By: Howard on 07/21/21 at 5:48 am

I have no idea.

Written By: karen on 07/21/21 at 9:02 am

Apparently it is chew-gee

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/21/21 at 9:43 am

I am glad to see that this article, in the New York Times of all places, indicates that I myself am decidedly NON cheugy.

"Things that are decidedly un-cheugy, according to its progenitors: thrifting, making your own clothes, handmade products, Levi’s jeans, Birkenstocks, home decor not found at Target. 'Looking good for yourself and not caring what other people think, that confidence exudes non-cheugyness,' said Gaby Rasson, 23, a software developer in Los Angeles who coined the term."

Except for making my own clothes (which I probably would if I knew how) and Birkenstocks, which are HIDEOUS, I do or embody all of the above.

Here is what the article points out as definitely cheugy:

"The Hype House, Golden Goose sneakers, anything associated with Barstool Sports, Gucci belts with the large double “G” logo, being really into sneaker culture, Rae Dunn pottery, and anything chevron."

Though I don't know what any of those things are except for sneaker culture and Barstool Sports, I'm glad to see that "sneaker culture" has finally fallen into the realm of the unhip. I still haven't been able to figure out for all these years why a basic (in the old sense of the word) item that I used to buy for under $10 and pay little attention to suddenly somehow became more valuable than gold and an object of fetishistic worship. Well, good riddance to sneaker culture.

The broader definition of cheugy given in the article is as follow:

"Cheugy (pronounced chew-gee) can be used, broadly, to describe someone who is out of date or trying too hard. And while a lot of cheugy things are associated with millennial women, the term can be applied to anyone of any gender and any age."

Read the entire article here:

www.nytimes.com/2021/04/29/style/cheugy.html

Check for new replies or respond here...