inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most lighthearted and dark years of the 2010s?

Written By: NightmareFarm on 09/12/21 at 10:32 pm

Try to be objective about this rather than being biased by personal events. Go by the general vibe and events of the time.

I'd say:

Lighthearted - 2013. It felt at the time that things were changing for the better and pop culture seemed very vibrant.  Lots of new stuff came in which felt fresh and exciting even if some of those things didn't age so well in following years. The general vibe was just really positive. Really fun year. 2012 is a close second.

Dark - 2016. I've mentioned on my previous thread why that year was so transitional but it felt like a dark transition rather than a positive one like in 2013. You had the alt right become a serious threat, showcases of racist police brutality, politics becoming extremely divisive and toxic, self loathing suicide meme humor, etc and you also had the peak of internet bullying cringe culture that year. Honourable mentions to 2015, 2017 and 2018.

Subject: Re: Most lighthearted and dark years of the 2010s?

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 09/12/21 at 11:29 pm

Lighthearted: easily the first 3 years. Maybe, just maybe, 2013 as well.

Dark: 2018 felt like a black hole, or in other words, an inescapable place of despair. Any year would come second to this uniquely horrible year (when limited to the 2010s). 2016, 2017, and 2019 also fit the bill.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 09/12/21 at 11:56 pm

Lighthearted: easily the first 3 years. Maybe, just maybe, 2013 as well.

Dark: 2018 felt like a black hole, or in other words, an inescapable place of despair. Any year would come second to this uniquely horrible year (when limited to the 2010s). 2016, 2017, and 2019 also fit the bill.

IMO 2016 was the black hole and every following year in the late 10s is just the status quo established by that year which doesn't add much to the table, bad or good.

What happened that year, 2018?

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 09/13/21 at 12:04 am

IMO 2016 was the black hole and every following year is just the status quo established by that year which doesn't add much to the table, bad or good.

What happened that year, 2018?

For me, it was and is, mostly numeric. If you go long enough not seeing anyone remotely attractive according to your own standards of beauty, the latest year always feels like the worst. There merely was some optimism in 2019 because I thought such times were about to end.

More objective: plenty of forest fires started that year. If they didn't start in 2018, I think the Amazon rainforest fires became vastly widespread that year.

Check for new replies or respond here...