inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The late 00s culturally ended in June 2009

Written By: NightmareFarm on 11/15/21 at 5:00 pm

https://popedia.boards.net/thread/5385/late-00s-june-09-imo

TL;DR - The recession ends(The second half of the late 00s is defined by dealing with the recession in motion and the end of the recession marks the end of the era, the aftermath of it and the climb back up to recovery defining the 2010s), Swine flu is labeled an epidemic by WHO, MJ, the most iconic and influential pop legend of all time passes away. Core 00s style music is still going very strong if you look at the link with songs like "That's not my name", "Dead and Gone" and "Love Story" blowing up in the late part of 08 and early part of 09. Early 10s style electronic music starts blowing up(Stuff like "When Love Takes Over", "Down" and "I Gotta Feeling"). Late 08/Early 09 E-pop sound very different generally and kind of like a prototype phase for the real early 10s electropop music(Compare "Taking Back My Love" and "I Gotta Feeling" for example. Day and night difference). You had lots of tracks which were basically pop rock fused with electropop during that time. You could also argue this was when the novelty of a new president in office was wearing off as well.

Subject: Re: The late 00s culturally ended in June 2009

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 11/15/21 at 8:36 pm

I can see it. Some time in the summer of that year, I could see change in the air.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 11/15/21 at 8:46 pm

I can see it. Some time in the summer of that year, I could see change in the air.

Exactly. The vibe really changed in the summer. It definitely felt a lot different than the first 5 months.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 11/16/21 at 1:28 am

For drawing lines like this, I primarily go by gut feelings (like we all do). Even tho summer 2009 is when the first early 2010's vibes starting creeping in, I remember it still feeling dominantly late 2000's. It wasn't until the start of the school year (Sept 2009) that that bright early 2010's vibe had taken over.

Secondarily, I go to the good old Hot 100. I look thru the top 10 songs week by week until I get to the first week that "feels" more like early 2010's than late 2000's. For me that week is 8-22, pretty much correlates with my feelings of when the shift to early 2010's was complete.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 11/16/21 at 9:05 am

For drawing lines like this, I primarily go by gut feelings (like we all do). Even tho summer 2009 is when the first early 2010's vibes starting creeping in, I remember it still feeling dominantly late 2000's. It wasn't until the start of the school year (Sept 2009) that that bright early 2010's vibe had taken over.

Secondarily, I go to the good old Hot 100. I look thru the top 10 songs week by week until I get to the first week that "feels" more like early 2010's than late 2000's. For me that week is 8-22, pretty much correlates with my feelings of when the shift to early 2010's was complete.

Tbqh i felt the early 10 vibes creeping in august like you did but i think there is some bias there because there were songs that were hits in june like "when love takes over" that i didn't notice because i was in school at the time. And there's other objective reasons I believe it ended in june like the recession ending although as a kid I wouldn't have really noticed that.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/21/21 at 4:46 pm

Late '00s trends would still hover around in the early '10s but I would say by late 2008 when Obama got elected, that was the official end of the late '00s. But if you want to say it is when Michael Jackson died that's fine. Either way the shift occurred in the 2008 - 2009 school year.

Check for new replies or respond here...