inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: what year did zoomer culture overtake millennial culture?

Written By: pucketbenson on 03/26/22 at 11:22 am

this reminds me of the 90s with a similar pattern where the 90s stared out gen x and and millennial. its seems to follow pretty much the same numerical pattern. the early and mid 90s being gen x cultural dominant and the late 90s being millennial cultural dominant. likewise, in the 2010s the early and mid 10s were dominated by millennial culture but the late 10s were dominated by zoomer culture. it looks like 1996 was the year millennial colure began to overtook gen x  culture, with 2016 being the year zoomer culture starting to overtake millennial culture.

Subject: Re: what year did zoomer culture overtake millennial culture?

Written By: NightmareFarm on 03/26/22 at 12:04 pm

2018 or 2019.

Written By: sonikuu on 03/27/22 at 6:31 am

2016 was still very millennial. Most older generations still mistook zoomers and millennials, and almost entirely focused on the latter, which is pretty indicative. "Zoomer culture" was already surfacing, but the zeitgeist was still millennial.

2017 saw a strengthening of zoomer culture, but I would still classify it as a millennial year for sure.

2018 was tilting toward zoomers, but millennials were still making their mark. I would classify this as the opposite of 2017 - zoomer culture being stronger than millennial culture.

2019 saw a definite zoomer takeover. It was the first nearly fully zoomer year.

Mind you, these are taken from a Western perspective. As someone who has lived in Asia, the generational lines are different.

In Japan, 2019 marked a clear shift toward the Reiwa generation. While the shift started as early as 2016, 2019 marked its completion when the "era name" literally changed with the new emperor's ascension.

In South Korea, the transition is still ongoing, but 2021 marked a definite shift, with 2022 looking to complete that. That said, in Korea a 23 year old and a 33 year old are considered broadly part of the same generation (the "2030 generation" - those in their 20s and 30s). In Korea, the dividing line is the pandemic - those who were in high school or below in 2020 are considered one generation, those in university (70% or so of Koreans go on to some form of college) are a bridge generation, and those who had graduated (graduation ceremonies being held in February) are another. If pushed, most would lump in a current 23 year old with the "2030" generation while considering the 20 year old solidly different.

To be honest, I feel like Korea's classification makes the most sense when looked at divorced from pop culture - the experience of online school or university, the canceled school events, etc. would be a very unique experience

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/22 at 12:12 pm

this reminds me of the 90s with a similar pattern where the 90s stared out gen x and and millennial. its seems to follow pretty much the same numerical pattern. the early and mid 90s being gen x cultural dominant and the late 90s being millennial cultural dominant. likewise, in the 2010s the early and mid 10s were dominated by millennial culture but the late 10s were dominated by zoomer culture. it looks like 1996 was the year millennial colure began to overtook gen x  culture, with 2016 being the year zoomer culture starting to overtake millennial culture.
Can you please define what 'zoomer culture' is?

Written By: woahjoey on 04/26/22 at 1:03 am

-At least for me, it felt like the Parkland shooting in early 2018 ushered in GenZers to the national stage. Suddenly the media were focused on these coming of age "youngsters" who were politically charged during a divisive America.

-Up until that point in time, it felt like I was only reading/hearing of "Zoomers" or "Gen-Zers" on this forum or other niche places online.

-I think mainstream outlets are finally realizing they need to reevaluate their advertising strategies to appeal to the coming of age Zoomers, who are a separate demographic from Millennials, of which, the eldest are pushing 40.

Written By: Wink-182 on 04/26/22 at 1:06 pm

-At least for me, it felt like the Parkland shooting in early 2018 ushered in GenZers to the national stage. Suddenly the media were focused on these coming of age "youngsters" who were politically charged during a divisive America.

-Up until that point in time, it felt like I was only reading/hearing of "Zoomers" or "Gen-Zers" on this forum or other niche places online.

-I think mainstream outlets are finally realizing they need to reevaluate their advertising strategies to appeal to the coming of age Zoomers, who are a separate demographic from Millennials, of which, the eldest are pushing 40.

I totally agree with you, before Parkland I feel Gen Z wasn't as talked about among the mainstream compared to how it is now.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/26/22 at 1:24 pm

I totally agree with you, before Parkland I feel Gen Z wasn't as talked about among the mainstream compared to how it is now.

Correct. Up to that point the mainstream media, woefully behind the times, was categorizing everybody under 30 or so as a "Millennial".

Unfortunately, in the other direction, I have also noticed in some youthful quarters that everybody OVER a certain age is described (usually negatively) as a "Boomer". Granted, those older than Boomers (i.e. the so-called "Greatest Generation", the so-called "Silent Generation", etc) are almost completely gone, but there are still some. As an example, in my early days on this site, I noticed somebody post one of, if not THE, single most egregious generational mistakes I have EVER seen, here or anywhere else. The poster (I have long forgotten who) posted that they "hated the Boomers" because, among other evils, "they sent so many kids to Vietnam to die." HUH?? The Boomers (as young men, median age 19) WERE the ones sent to the slaughter Vietnam. By the so-called "Greatest Generation"! WHAT do they teach for history nowadays??  :o  :o

Check for new replies or respond here...