inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New Black Eyed Peas Song

Written By: Wink-182 on 08/22/22 at 12:18 pm

I was listening to the radio, and I was passing by the top 40 stations and I heard the beginning of this song. I didn't give it much thought until I heard it again another day while I was driving. I noticed it was by The Black Eyed Peas judging by the name scrolling by on my car radio and I thought it was a song from 10-13 years ago that I happened to miss whenever it was popular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v4GQQrU_qw

This actually was released June of this year when I looked it up later that day, totally fooled me. Sounded like an electro-pop hit you would have heard on the radio in 2012.

Subject: Re: New Black Eyed Peas Song

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/22/22 at 1:09 pm

I was listening to the radio, and I was passing by the top 40 stations and I heard the beginning of this song. I didn't give it much thought until I heard it again another day while I was driving. I noticed it was by The Black Eyed Peas judging by the name scrolling by on my car radio and I thought it was a song from 10-13 years ago that I happened to miss whenever it was popular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v4GQQrU_qw

This actually was released June of this year when I looked it up later that day, totally fooled me. Sounded like an electro-pop hit you would have heard on the radio in 2012.

I actually thought that song reminds me of their 2009 hit, I Gotta Feeling.

Written By: Wink-182 on 08/22/22 at 1:12 pm

I actually thought that song reminds me of their 2009 hit, I Gotta Feeling.

I wouldn't be surprised if the group considered it a spiritual sequel to I Gotta Feeling, it does have that feeling going towards it.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/23/22 at 4:06 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the group considered it a spiritual sequel to I Gotta Feeling, it does have that feeling going towards it.

In general it has the positive vibe to it, with the lyrics.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/25/22 at 9:01 pm

This sounds straight from the '90s... 1999 like the song Better Off Alone. Which fits with the whole retro pop craze going on now.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/25/22 at 9:27 pm

This sounds straight from the '90s... 1999 like the song Better Off Alone. Which fits with the whole retro pop craze going on now.

It's not a "craze" it's a pattern. It's the "end of history" model I have been speaking of where nothing is new, just an endless caretaking/curating cycle of what has come before. You speak now of the "retro pop" craze going on, but in months to come you will be speaking of the "early 2010s thing going on which was a retro 80s thing". You will know exactly what it is and from whence it came. There will not come a time when you say "this is something nobody has ever heard before, wow-ee, this changes everything". Because unlike the 20th Century (and centuries prior) that no longer happens, nor do people expect it to. They simply caretake the museum. Hence the "today we see a resurgence of the retro pop craze of 2018 which was largely the sound of late 93", etc, etc, etc. It's textbook end of history.

"In the post-historical period there will be neither art nor philosophy, just the perpetual caretaking of the museum of human history. I can feel in myself, and see in others around me, a powerful nostalgia for the time when history existed."
-Francis Fukuyama

Written By: Slim95 on 08/29/22 at 11:27 pm

It's not a "craze" it's a pattern. It's the "end of history" model I have been speaking of where nothing is new, just an endless caretaking/curating cycle of what has come before. You speak now of the "retro pop" craze going on, but in months to come you will be speaking of the "early 2010s thing going on which was a retro 80s thing". You will know exactly what it is and from whence it came. There will not come a time when you say "this is something nobody has ever heard before, wow-ee, this changes everything". Because unlike the 20th Century (and centuries prior) that no longer happens, nor do people expect it to. They simply caretake the museum. Hence the "today we see a resurgence of the retro pop craze of 2018 which was largely the sound of late 93", etc, etc, etc. It's textbook end of history.

"In the post-historical period there will be neither art nor philosophy, just the perpetual caretaking of the museum of human history. I can feel in myself, and see in others around me, a powerful nostalgia for the time when history existed."
-Francis Fukuyama

I agree except for the part where you said unlike the 20th century. Because the same case case happened in the 20th century where they borrowed music from the 19th century. And the 19th century where they borrowed music from the 18th century. Etc. Elements of music has always been recycled in some way, but that doesn't mean creativity and originality are dead.

I agree we're at the end of history. But not because of the music. But because of everything that his happening in the world now, we don't have much time left.

Check for new replies or respond here...