inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was the Obama presidency the calm before the storm?

Written By: thatretroman53 on 08/29/22 at 2:00 pm

Looking back in retrospect, I've noticed that the cultural and political landscape during the Obama era (2009 to 2015) was relatively tame compared to now. However, ever since 2016, it seems that everyone has become more self aware of their politics that has lead to division in recent years. How,when, and why did this cultural shift happen? What caused the explosion of the culture wars? Why is everything becoming more politicized? Why does the Obama era and post Obama era feel like two different worlds? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Subject: Re: Was the Obama presidency the calm before the storm?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/29/22 at 2:11 pm

No, the Obama era wasn't the calm before the storm, it was the beginning of the storm with the rise of the Tea Party. Then the Tea Party morphed into the MAGA party.

Cat

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/29/22 at 3:00 pm

The calm before the storm was ironically during the Trump years, the first 3 out 4 (2017-2019), which is why his supporters really like to talk about how those years were when "America became great again" until "Brandon" took over and screwed everything up.

There was also another storm not just 2016 but also 2015 and even 2014 (when Ferguson happened) was when tensions really started to rise between the alt-right and SJW's.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/29/22 at 3:48 pm

No, no, no.  ;D

At the latest, the 2008 stock market crash, and 2008 Presidential Election, was the beginning of it. Like someone posted on here the Iraq War might have been the beginning of it.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/29/22 at 11:31 pm

In the mid 2010s everyone started being obsessed with politics. I blame the higher ups for that (the guys above Obama and Trump, whose sole purpose and goal is to 'divide and conquer' and sow division).

But around 2014 you started hearing political lingo in mainstream pop culture and politics started becoming "cool" to average people. It really had nothing to do with Donald Trump. The tension was rising before that. In fact you can argue Trump was a result of the tension that has already been building up.

Written By: Emman on 08/30/22 at 12:40 pm

In the mid 2010s everyone started being obsessed with politics. I blame the higher ups for that (the guys above Obama and Trump, whose sole purpose and goal is to 'divide and conquer' and sow division).

But around 2014 you started hearing political lingo in mainstream pop culture and politics started becoming "cool" to average people. It really had nothing to do with Donald Trump. The tension was rising before that. In fact you can argue Trump was a result of the tension that has already been building up.

The Great Awokening is a large contributor to this division, I started noticing this uptick around 2013, 2014.
That was the aftermath of the Trayvon Martin trial and Gamergate controversy.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/30/22 at 4:28 pm

The Great Awokening is a large contributor to this division, I started noticing this uptick around 2013, 2014.
That was the aftermath of the Trayvon Martin trial and Gamergate controversy.

Can you explain what Gamergate is?  ???  Googling it comes up with very confusing and contradictory results.

Written By: Emman on 09/01/22 at 10:19 am

Can you explain what Gamergate is?  ???  Googling it comes up with very confusing and contradictory results.

Basically, it was drama between feminists and gamers, the beginning details are murky but it turned into a cultural war of stereotyping the gaming community at large as misogynistic by the mainstream news media.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 09/02/22 at 9:50 am

The Storm is Coming. Trust the plan .#WWG1WGA

Check for new replies or respond here...