inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Republic of Doyle 2010-2014

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/24/23 at 9:23 pm

I've been watching this show for a number of months on the CBC afternoon block from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm EST and 6:00 pm to 7:00 PST.  It's a good show that stars Allan Hawco and Sean McGinley who star as a father/son sleuths Jake and Malachy Doyle who get themselves into all sorts of trouble, Jake more so than Malachy.  Jake's hires Desmond "Des" Courtney, played by Mark O'Brien, as an apprentice to help him with a lot of the technical grunt work.

lVtwqEXV5bw

Rose Doyle nee Rose Martin, played by Lynda Boyd, is first Malachy's girlfriend and then his wife.  She has some problems with her ex-husband Martin Poole, played by Nicholas Campbell, and tries to enlist Rose's help for some issues that he's been having with some people.  But Malachy doesn't like Martin and he warns others "not to mess with his family."

The final member of the Doyle family is Katrina "Tinny" Doyle, played by Marthe Bertrand, who is Kathleen Doyle, played by Krista Bridges, and Kevin Crocker's, played by Paul Gross, daughter and Jake's neice, and Malachy's granddaughter.

Then are the Doyle family enemies like Crocker, and Maurice Becker, played by Gordon Pinsent, who is a big time con-man and arms dealer.

I like this show a lot but when it's aired on the CBC they don't warn about the violence.  They just warn about mature subject matter.  My mom and I like to joke about how, when a show warns about mature subject matter, I can't watch because my mind is too young and inmature.  However, I'm just so desensitized to any violence that it doesn't really upset me as much as it would have.  Jake and Malachy getting themselves socked in their chins. Jake accidentally shooting Des.  Jake and Des getting knocked out by someone using a taser.  ETC.

Subject: Re: Republic of Doyle 2010-2014

Written By: whistledog on 02/26/23 at 2:03 pm

Russell Crowe was in an episode (with Scott Grimes).  Russell is close friends with Alan Doyle of the east coast band Great Big Sea and got Russell a guest spot on the show.  To return the favour, Russell got Alan a small part in his movie Robin Hood.

I never watched Republic of Doyle when it originally aired on CBC but I've since seen reruns and I think I need to get it on DVD.  It's kind of like a Magnum PI for Canada

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/27/23 at 1:51 am

Russell Crowe was in an episode (with Scott Grimes).  Russell is close friends with Alan Doyle of the east coast band Great Big Sea and got Russell a guest spot on the show.  To return the favour, Russell got Alan a small part in his movie Robin Hood.

I never watched Republic of Doyle when it originally aired on CBC but I've since seen reruns and I think I need to get it on DVD.  It's kind of like a Magnum PI for Canada

I never watched its original run on CBC either.  I found out it was on Crave TV and their streaming service but I also found it on CBC Gem Streaming service.  It's also on MTV Canada and CTV Life Channel.
I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "Magnum P.I. for Canada"  yes Malachy and Jake are PIs but there's more to Malachy and Jake than just being business partners.  They're family and they look out for their own.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/03/23 at 12:33 am

I heard Jake Doyle use a very interesting insult toward Garrison Steele, Victor Garber, and his Editor was complaining about how Jake was supposedly turning Garrison Steele into a "clown" and Jake says "Oh, believe me.  He was a clown before he even met me."  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...