inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Roaring '20s: Will 1920s culture/history have any impact on culture of 2020s?

Written By: Anwawesome on 01/01/20 at 8:33 pm

I've heard from a lot of my friends and family members that many people were having Roaring '20s themed NYE parties, with everyone dressed in 1920s styles (e.g. many young women/girls dressed as flappers), presumably there was jazz music (I don't know for a fact though because I haven't gone to any of these parties), many references to the Great Gatsby and more.

Along with that, many people have been referring to the new decade as possibly the new "Roaring '20s". From what I've seen on social media, many people have made reference to this as well (and as I mentioned before, endless Great Gatsby references).

Do you guys think nostalgia/throwbacks to 1920s culture and history will have any impact on what will eventually be 2020s culture just for the sole fact that we are once again in a '20s decade? I would like to know everyone's thoughts.

Subject: Re: Roaring '20s: Will 1920s culture/history have any impact on culture of 2020s?

Written By: Mascot on 01/01/20 at 8:40 pm

I've heard from a lot of my friends and family members that many people were having Roaring '20s themed NYE parties, with everyone dressed in 1920s styles (e.g. many young women/girls dressed as flappers), presumably there was jazz music (I don't know for a fact though because I haven't gone to any of these parties), many references to the Great Gatsby and more.

Along with that, many people have been referring to the new decade as possibly the new "Roaring '20s". From what I've seen on social media, many people have made reference to this as well (and as I mentioned before, endless Great Gatsby references).

Do you guys think nostalgia/throwbacks to 1920s culture and history will have any impact on what will eventually be 2020s culture just for the sole fact that we are once again in a '20s decade? I would like to know everyone's thoughts.

A lot of people are really excited to see the new 20s. Will this be a roaring 20s? I can't say, but if it is then I hope it doesn't end in a Neo-Great Depression. I'd love for some new age Art Deco and a Jazz revival.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtepWkaakhk
This was live between December 31st 2019 to January 1st 2020.

The 2020s seems to be having the same effect the 2000s did with how excited everyone is for it. New decade means new trends in music, fashion , design, tech and much more. I don't think the 2020s will be the same as the 1920s, however, I wouldn't be surprised if some old 1920s trend came back, but in a new remixed way. Pop culture is known to recycle old ideas and make them into unique new inventions unconsciously.

Subject: Re: Roaring '20s: Will 1920s culture/history have any impact on culture of 2020s?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/01/20 at 8:42 pm

Highly doubtful the 1920s will have any influence/impact on this decade or it's culture. If there are references to this decade being the new "Roaring 20s" it sounds strictly like a media creation. And a desperate sounding one at that. This decade will unfold in it's own way without any help from the 1920s.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/01/20 at 8:57 pm

YES I hope so. I hope electro swing becomes the new form of mainstream music. I've always wanted that for the 2020s.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/01/20 at 8:59 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtepWkaakhk

This is off the chains!  8)

Written By: Slim95 on 01/01/20 at 9:09 pm

I predicted many many years ago electro swing would be the defining main genre of the 2020s in mainstream music. If that's the case then I will really enjoy the decade. I can picture it being popular.

Written By: Mascot on 01/01/20 at 9:21 pm

I predicted many many years ago electro swing would be the defining main genre of the 2020s in mainstream music. If that's the case then I will really enjoy the decade. I can picture it being popular.

I've always been an Electro Swing fan. I'm not sure how much of a presence it would have in mainstream culture, though. The genre had some success in Europe a few years back according to google research, but in the US it mainly stayed a online genre.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/01/20 at 9:25 pm

Highly doubtful the 1920s will have any influence/impact on this decade or it's culture. If there are references to this decade being the new "Roaring 20s" it sounds strictly like a media creation. And a desperate sounding one at that. This decade will unfold in it's own way without any help from the 1920s.

I just hope nobody tries to force a roaring twenties theme on it. Let it evolve into it's own thing.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/01/20 at 11:21 pm

I've always been an Electro Swing fan. I'm not sure how much of a presence it would have in mainstream culture, though. The genre had some success in Europe a few years back according to google research, but in the US it mainly stayed a online genre.

I enjoy electro swing as well. But I can't see it become huge in the mainstream this decade. It's more of a niche genre.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/01/20 at 11:40 pm

I enjoy electro swing as well. But I can't see it become huge in the mainstream this decade. It's more of a niche genre.

I can see it getting big and being used in the same way dubstep was used in popular mainstream songs in the early 2010s. Dubstep was also seen as a niche genre and the mainstream incorporated it into music a lot in the early 2010s. They can do the same with electro swing for the early '20s at least adding elements of it or parts of it in songs. But it would be cool if entire songs of the genre got mainstream too. I hope mainstream music gets better anyway. I know electro swing was popular for a while online and underground but it would be cool if it came to mainstream music in North America and if it got more popular this decade.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/02/20 at 5:24 am

That would be awesome.  Women wearing "flapper" outfits.  And at the rate things are going, we could see a prohibition of alcohol again, like we are seeing with vapes.  Speakeasies where the establishment is behind a secret door, where you have to know the secret word to gain admittance, could see a revival.

The Italian Mob could see a resurgence as the 1920's were their glory days.

Written By: Anwawesome on 01/02/20 at 7:23 am

The genre had some success in Europe a few years back according to google research, but in the US it mainly stayed a online genre.

Yeah. I think everyone remembers "We No Speak Americano", which came out in 2010 (wow, 10 years ago).

Written By: fusefan on 01/02/20 at 7:53 am

The 1920s are interesting... but I’d rather have this decade have it’s own separate identity. People in the 1920s weren’t making it look like the 1820s, they were embracing then new things.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/02/20 at 7:53 am

Yeah, I saw this during New Years too.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/26/20 at 10:04 am

Looks like we skipped straight to 1929 and started the Great Depression II, mixed with 1918 with the pandemic.

Written By: Dundee on 03/26/20 at 3:00 pm

Looks like we skipped straight to 1929 and started the Great Depression II, mixed with 1918 with the pandemic.
If this can be any consoling, the Spanish flu pandemic was still roaring by 1920.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/26/20 at 3:16 pm

Maybe the 2020's will be the 1920's in reverse.  :o :o :o

Written By: Howard on 03/26/20 at 3:25 pm

I feel this week I just stepped into a different century. :o

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/26/20 at 4:38 pm

Doubt it. The 1920s were closer in feel to the late 1800s. The only century that this 21st century comes close in vibe to is the 20th century (the worst part of it—the late 90s).

Written By: Sman12 on 03/26/20 at 5:16 pm

I feel this week I just stepped into a different century. :o

Same here. The 2020s mindset started off right on time.

Written By: 2001 on 03/26/20 at 6:32 pm

If this can be any consoling, the Spanish flu pandemic was still roaring by 1920.

Yep, there was a killer pandemic in 1920 just like in 2020. There was also an economic depression in the early 1920s, the decade didn't really start "roaring" until 1922 or thereabouts. So other than amazing revolutionary music or Prohibition there are some interesting parallels.

It's a shame à woman didn't win the Democratic primaries. Women receiving the vote and the right to run for federal office in 1920 and finally getting a woman président in 2020 would've been a really cool parallel.

Written By: Dundee on 03/27/20 at 8:33 am

Yep, there was a killer pandemic in 1920 just like in 2020.
Ironic part is that the Spanish flu actually comes from... China.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/27/20 at 8:52 am

Ironic part is that the Spanish flu actually comes from... China.

Well, researchers actually don't know the original source of the flu, but it was still a pandemic that killed millions and sickened millions more.

https://www.history.com/news/why-was-it-called-the-spanish-flu

Written By: Howard on 03/27/20 at 2:30 pm

Well, researchers actually don't know the original source of the flu, but it was still a pandemic that killed millions and sickened millions more.

https://www.history.com/news/why-was-it-called-the-spanish-flu

Did Woodrow Wilson or William Hale Thompson make any speeches about the pandemic like they do now? ???

Written By: 2001 on 03/28/20 at 1:58 am

Did Woodrow Wilson or William Hale Thompson make any speeches about the pandemic like they do now? ???

Wilson was even worse than Trump. He banned health officials from talking about it because he didn't want to decrease morale during the World War. In the end, more people died in the pandemic than in the war.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/28/20 at 12:19 pm

Wilson was even worse than Trump. He banned health officials from talking about it because he didn't want to decrease morale during the World War. In the end, more people died in the pandemic than in the war.

Trump is way better. In fact, recent polls came out and the majority of people approved his handling of the coronavirus: https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/

While I'm glad he's getting more serious about this virus, I do think that his Easter deadline proposal is really premature, and I hope he scraps that idea.

Check for new replies or respond here...