inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2020s fashion: Return of tight tops and baggy bottoms

Written By: GameXcaper on 01/02/20 at 10:21 am

It's only natural that will happen. The 2010s were all about baggy tops and tight bottoms. Most pants were skinny or cuffed, and most shirts were long and flowing and were far from form-fitting. The only exception to this were suits. Suits were very slim and form-fitting. In one or 2 years everyone will be walking around in flares or baggy jeans, not JINCO level baggy, but still baggier than what we have now and especially compared to the mid and early 2010s. Straight cut jeans/pants will be the slimmest you'll find. Tight form-fitting tops that expose the muscles, chest, and abdomen will also become popular.

On top of this, I predict that flashy accessories will make a comeback, especially for men. Many clothing trends from the late 90s and early 2000s are going to make a comeback and will stay right till the end of the decade.

Subject: Re: 2020s fashion: Return of tight tops and baggy bottoms

Written By: VHSfan0101 on 01/02/20 at 1:39 pm

GameXcaper, for the past couple of months, I have been noticing that chest stripe shirts (These shirts: https://www.google.com/search?q=chest+stripe+shirt&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjy-uL-x4vmAhVIR6wKHSt3AOsQ2-cCegQIABAC&oq=chest+stripe+shi&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.1.0.0j0i8i30.18909.28174..31645...0.0..2.253.3327.5j21j1......0....1.......1..41j0i3j0i131j0i67j0i131i67j0i30j33i299.OtQuxfxoCuc&ei=DAnfXfLENciOsQWr7oHYDg&bih=508&biw=320&prmd=inv#imgrc=Or6NdBPdLKyJuM) have made a comeback. I have been seeing those type of shirts being worn on TV lately and I have also been seeing them being worn in real-life lately.

Written By: ilovethe2010s on 01/03/20 at 2:02 am

I do feel that this is inevitable, but I don't think widespread adoption will happen so quickly. I'm not even sure my age cohort (late 20s) will ever change. Personally, I'm keeping my silhouette for as long as I want. I had to endure two wretched decades (the 90s and 2000s) before I finally got to live through one where people actually looked good (by my standards), and I won't be going down without a fight!

Now, my friend's little sister, at 19, has already begun wearing bell bottoms and tight tops. I've seen this silhouette emerge in Urban Outfitters as well. I'll let the young generation chart their own course, but I'm ready to tune it all out. The 2010s were my favorite decade for fashion in the last 50 years, and I'm a little bitter people are ready to throw them overboard already.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/03/20 at 4:50 am

GameXcaper, for the past couple of months, I have been noticing that chest stripe shirts (These shirts: https://www.google.com/search?q=chest+stripe+shirt&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjy-uL-x4vmAhVIR6wKHSt3AOsQ2-cCegQIABAC&oq=chest+stripe+shi&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.1.0.0j0i8i30.18909.28174..31645...0.0..2.253.3327.5j21j1......0....1.......1..41j0i3j0i131j0i67j0i131i67j0i30j33i299.OtQuxfxoCuc&ei=DAnfXfLENciOsQWr7oHYDg&bih=508&biw=320&prmd=inv#imgrc=Or6NdBPdLKyJuM) have made a comeback. I have been seeing those type of shirts being worn on TV lately and I have also been seeing them being worn in real-life lately.

I have one with almost the same exact color except it's long sleeve, from Old Navy. I also have a rugby shirt.

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/20 at 9:39 am

I do feel that this is inevitable, but I don't think widespread adoption will happen so quickly. I'm not even sure my age cohort (late 20s) will ever change. Personally, I'm keeping my silhouette for as long as I want. I had to endure two wretched decades (the 90s and 2000s) before I finally got to live through one where people actually looked good (by my standards), and I won't be going down without a fight!

Now, my friend's little sister, at 19, has already begun wearing bell bottoms and tight tops. I've seen this silhouette emerge in Urban Outfitters as well. I'll let the young generation chart their own course, but I'm ready to tune it all out. The 2010s were my favorite decade for fashion in the last 50 years, and I'm a little bitter people are ready to throw them overboard already.

I like the 2010s look too but personally I was never a fan of baggy tops (at least on guys). I find even though most the new late 2010s clothes are "baggy" they are not like the 1990s/2000s where they looked 3 sizes too large and people's pants were sagging, instead they look very fitting.

Written By: Mascot on 01/03/20 at 5:59 pm

I like the 2010s look too but personally I was never a fan of baggy tops (at least on guys). I find even though most the new late 2010s clothes are "baggy" they are not like the 1990s/2000s where they looked 3 sizes too large and people's pants were sagging, instead they look very fitting.

If 00s Nostalgia hits the 20s like a trunk then don't be surprised when early-mid 00s hip hop baggy fashion comes back.
http://66.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzedbcumZW1roucnvo1_500.jpg
https://img.haikudeck.com/mi/6409BA2E-FF5C-43DB-93A4-05772749D23E.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhivSCACIAAGCAr.jpg

The early 00s Hip Hop throwbacks is upon us, folks. If you shirt isn't long enough to touch below your knees then you'll be considered an "uncool-fool".

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/03/20 at 6:07 pm

I really hope not ! I want our own cultural identity this decade and not one that is easily defined by a previous one. Of course comebacks are apart of every decade but I feel like the 2010’s has been all about revivals and nostalgia more than any other decade before it. It’s easy to tell the 80’s apart from the 90’s and the 90’s apart from the early 2000’s or y2k. I can see the 2000’s developing its own identity now but it is still not as strong as the decades before it.

Written By: Mascot on 01/03/20 at 6:19 pm

I really hope not ! I want our own cultural identity this decade and not one that is easily defined by a previous one. Of course comebacks are apart of every decade but I feel like the 2010’s has been all about revivals and nostalgia more than any other decade before it. It’s easy to tell the 80’s apart from the 90’s and the 90’s apart from the early 2000’s or y2k. I can see the 2000’s developing its own identity now but it is still not as strong as the decades before it.

That's what I hope as well. Comebacks/Revivals happen in many decades, but it felt like the 2010s is when it got out of hand. The 2010s has it's own cultural identity, but sadly part of that cultural identity is the trend on trying to revive and remake too many things from 1, 2, 3 decades ago.

The 2000s has its own identity. If every decade was a person who wore unique mask then the 2000s would be the one guy who constantly swapped masks because he saw being consistent as old and uncool.  ;D A lack of a consistent style is in itself a style. The 2000s stands out from this aspect alone as the decades around it didn't do this.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/03/20 at 6:55 pm

If 00s Nostalgia hits the 20s like a trunk then don't be surprised when early-mid 00s hip hop baggy fashion comes back.

The early 00s Hip Hop throwbacks is upon us, folks. If you shirt isn't long enough to touch below your knees then you'll be considered an "uncool-fool".

Guys sagging their pants is a pet peeve of mine. 8-P

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/03/20 at 8:51 pm

Welcome to late-stage capitalism

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/04/20 at 3:45 am

Maybe the ultra baggy look of the '00s will be seen as an "untouchable" for future generations; often mocked and occasionally donned for themed parties, but not seriously brought back into style. Kinda like '80s hair.  :D

Written By: GameXcaper on 01/04/20 at 11:01 am

The thing is... Those pictures you've put up are both Baggy tops and bottoms. I think the tops will be more akin to those in the 70s or 80s with a boxier look. The long, loose, baggy, formless shirt look has got to go. Also, I don't think anyone should wear pants THAT baggy ever again, and sagging should ALWAYS be avoided. I don't know who's bright idea it was to sag their pants, but it's ridiculous and it should be ridiculed forever so that no one ever does it again.

Written By: rapplepop on 01/05/20 at 10:47 pm

Maybe the ultra baggy look of the '00s will be seen as an "untouchable" for future generations; often mocked and occasionally donned for themed parties, but not seriously brought back into style. Kinda like '80s hair.  :D

I hope so. I hated it then and I hate it now. Never been a fan of the whole "thug" thing  ::)

Written By: goodbants on 01/06/20 at 1:48 am

I’ve personally already started to adopt this look. As soon as I saw baggy pants were cool again I was all on board. I love the look and I hate skinny jeans, they are so uncomfortable.

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/06/20 at 3:11 am

Why does the next look have to be baggy, though? Just because the previous look was skinny? Why do we have to go from one extreme to another? Fitted clothes would be nice.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/06/20 at 5:07 am

I hope so. I hated it then and I hate it now. Never been a fan of the whole "thug" thing  ::)

I kinda liked that look. Those guys were keeping it real.

Written By: 2001 on 01/06/20 at 2:38 pm

Why does the next look have to be baggy, though? Just because the previous look was skinny? Why do we have to go from one extreme to another? Fitted clothes would be nice.

They're not really baggy, they're just not skinny. I don't think skinny jeans are ever going away. They're essential now.

https://image.uniqlo.com/UQ/ST3/WesternCommon/imagesgoods/418225/sub/goods_418225_sub3.jpg?width=1632

Also the fashion is to tuck your shirt into your pants, so we are safe from sagging (for now) ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/06/20 at 3:11 pm

I'd rather go back to "casual dress".

Written By: imrane on 01/06/20 at 3:35 pm

I hope raver/military look on girls, emo, scene and ethnic fashion comes back to the mainstream. Rave and emo/scene girls looked uber hot!

I'd totally rock a red/white shemagh and a Slavic white shirt with red drawings like the one in the Belarussian flag combo. I love Arabic and Slavic cultures and a modern version of folk costumes can totally work.

Written By: mc98 on 01/07/20 at 1:49 pm

I saw a lot of flared pants, mom jeans, and other baggy pants the girls are wearing in my college campus.

Written By: woahjoey on 01/08/20 at 2:49 am

I saw a lot of flared pants, mom jeans, and other baggy pants the girls are wearing in my college campus.

Same with my campus in SF. A lot of the fashion worn by freshman girls (so 18-20yo) consists of straight leg denim jeans, somes times cropped just above the ankle, slightly worn, and a form-fitted tank, usually spaghetti string. Guys are a little harder to pin down, but I've noticed skaters are now wearing looser pants compared to the skinny jeans from 10 years ago.

I enjoyed the fashion in the 2010s compared to the 00s. Men's fashion became more form-fitting, which to me, is always best. I normally hang out in Queer circles and the fashion for queer men has gotten a lil more femme over the course of the decade. I hope the gender bending continues!

I wouldn't doubt we see another revival of maximalism if it hasn't already started.  :)

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/08/20 at 3:25 am

Same with my campus in SF. A lot of the fashion worn by freshman girls (so 18-20yo) consists of straight leg denim jeans, somes times cropped just above the ankle, slightly worn, and a form-fitted tank, usually spaghetti string. Guys are a little harder to pin down, but I've noticed skaters are now wearing looser pants compared to the skinny jeans from 10 years ago.

I enjoyed the fashion in the 2010s compared to the 00s. Men's fashion became more form-fitting, which to me, is always best. I normally hang out in Queer circles and the fashion for queer men has gotten a lil more femme over the course of the decade. I hope the gender bending continues!

I wouldn't doubt we see another revival of maximalism if it hasn't already started.  :)

I go to USF (San Francisco) and this is accurate. The boys dress very 90’s and all have curtain hair. I am in an MA program right now.

Written By: 2001 on 01/08/20 at 6:13 am

I go to USF (San Francisco) and this is accurate. The boys dress very 90’s and all have curtain hair. I am in an MA program right now.

Yep I don't go to school but walking around town I've seen that curtain hair everywhere. Typical 2019 look for dudes I'd say is that curtain hair, pink hoodie, black or grey ripped skinny jeans, and white tennis shoes.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/08/20 at 8:38 am

Haven’t noticed curtained hair here in the UK, but maybe it’s a trend with people younger than me. All of my friends (mid 20s to early 30s) just have a standard short back and sides.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/08/20 at 8:54 am

Baggy clothes like that is not going to return in any prominent way. I hope not.

Fashion has become less defined. People basically wear whatever these days. There are a few trends but people just put on whatever they want.

Some people have a more '70s inspired look, others '80s and other '90s. Then, other people have a "modern/current" look.

I think fashion (by the average person) is going to continue being this way for a while.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/08/20 at 9:32 am

Baggy clothes like that is not going to return in any prominent way. I hope not.

Fashion has become less defined. People basically wear whatever these days. There are a few trends but people just put on whatever they want.

Some people have a more '70s inspired look, others '80s and other '90s. Then, other people have a "modern/current" look.

I think fashion (by the average person) is going to continue being this way for a while.

I agree with you. I feel like people just wear whatever style they want these days.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/08/20 at 2:54 pm

Yep I don't go to school but walking around town I've seen that curtain hair everywhere. Typical 2019 look for dudes I'd say is that curtain hair, pink hoodie, black or grey ripped skinny jeans, and white tennis shoes.

Yep you hit the nail on the coffin. At my job middle school bots dress like this ! Also a lot if boys at my uni dress super 90’s. The common look for most at my school is oversized flannels, 501 levis, boots and curtain hair.

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/08/20 at 2:57 pm

Please no baggy crap!! Guys look SO much better in fitted jeans. 

Written By: Howard on 01/08/20 at 3:46 pm

I agree with you. I feel like people just wear whatever style they want these days.

The way I dress is more of a casual style.

Written By: 2001 on 01/08/20 at 11:41 pm

Haven’t noticed curtained hair here in the UK, but maybe it’s a trend with people younger than me. All of my friends (mid 20s to early 30s) just have a standard short back and sides.

Fashion trends can be very regional sometimes. I went to the UK in summer 2018 and thought the undercut was on the ascendant. But actually it was just a regional trend. Back over here in Canada middle parts has been slowly gaining ground since 2017 (back then the sides used to be short, but now it's full blown)

https://6.viki.io/image/1b43227d627047eeb3e4dd22e1946eae.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

There's also a 1980s-esque round golden frame glasses trend and I TOTALLY dig it. There was this embarrassing phase I had in 2012/2013 when black thick frame glasses was a full-blown fetish for me. You could put those on the ugliest man out there and I'd still fall in love.

Now it's happening again, but with the golden frame round glasses  :-https://cf.shopee.com.my/file/98fd54abef5465bf150b8d096db9d296

Also not sure if anyone else noticed but in the summer blue coloured and literal rose coloured reflective lenses were popular on aviators. I dug it!

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0024/1886/8322/products/Pilot-Sunglasses-Men-Women-Brand-Designer-UV400-Outdoor-Sport-Sun-Glasses-Goggles-Gold-Blue-Mirror-Oculos_800x800.jpg?v=1571708844

Written By: 2001 on 01/08/20 at 11:57 pm

I think that single stripe style peaked in 2017/2018 with the Gucci obsession.

Multiple stripes patterns though I do see catching on.

https://i1.adis.ws/i/boohooamplience/agg86911_white_xl?$product_image_main_mobile_3x$

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/3f/80/cc/3f80cc6f072abd5e03866324e6d96f9e.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/talkinggames.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/33-Mens-Style-Trends-You-Should-Undoubtedly-Try-10.jpg?w=736&ssl=1

Personally I haven't jumped on that trend because I feel it will flame out in a few years. If I don't see a trend lasting longer than 5 years I don't touch it.  :-X

Written By: 2001 on 01/09/20 at 12:07 am

Also not sure how long it's been a trend but in summer 2019 Toronto it felt like every guy had their top 3, 4 or even 5 buttons undone. I hope it's a trend that stays!  :-* ;D

https://i.imgur.com/goml0Xr.jpg

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/09/20 at 1:48 am

https://i1.adis.ws/i/boohooamplience/agg86911_white_xl?$product_image_main_mobile_3x$

https://i0.wp.com/talkinggames.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/33-Mens-Style-Trends-You-Should-Undoubtedly-Try-10.jpg?w=736&ssl=1

Personally I haven't jumped on that trend because I feel it will flame out in a few years. If I don't see a trend lasting longer than 5 years I don't touch it.  :-X

I think the single chest stripe is really reminiscent of the y2k era. https://d2h1pu99sxkfvn.cloudfront.net/b0/11106007/440743196_Cz7QLZoGyO/P0.jpg Remember guys wore these with a gold pendulum ? These were big from 1998-2003/4 ish ? Then started being replaced with sportier looks.

Written By: mc98 on 01/09/20 at 11:29 pm

You perfectly described my college in the summer of 2019. I feel like this look will get bigger this year.

Written By: annimal on 01/10/20 at 12:28 am

I tend to wear what I want and don't care what the look is.  I don't like baggy unless I want to make me look fatter in a costume

Check for new replies or respond here...