inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Real life nostalgia cycles (I think I've figured it out)

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/02/20 at 3:31 pm

1970s
Primary nostalgia: 40s
Secondary nostalgia: 50s

1980s
Primary nostalgia: 50s
Secondary nostalgia: 60s

1990s
Primary nostalgia: 60s
Secondary nostalgia: 70s

2000s
Primary nostalgia: 70s
Secondary nostalgia: 80s

2010s
Primary nostalgia: 80s
Secondary nostalgia: 90s

2020s
Primary nostalgia: 90s
Secondary nostalgia: 2000s

2030s
Primary nostalgia: 2000s
Secondary nostalgia: 2010s

This is why, despite there being a ton of 80s nostalgia in the 2010s (Stranger things, Drive, synthwave, Kung fury), there was also a lot of 90s nostalgia (X-files, 90s are all that, 90s kid craze/debate on social media, Surge and crystal pepsi, Pokemon go). In the 2020s, there will be mostly 90s nostalgia, but paired with 2000s nostalgia. In the 2010s, it will be 2000s nostalgia with 2010s nostalgia. Etc.

Subject: Re: Real life nostalgia cycles (I think I've figured it out)

Written By: rhubarbcustardcola on 01/02/20 at 3:53 pm

I think I'd have to disagree with a couple of these up till the 2010s. I would argue, for example, that the 2000s had little to no nostalgia for the 70s, but instead had primary nostalgia for the 80s and then secondary nostalgia for the 90s towards the second half of the decade. Instead, the 2010s had stronger nostalgia for the 70s, but you don't mention the 70s under the 2010s at all. I would say, in many ways, the 2010s are almost nostalgic for many decades, but particularly the 70s and the 80s, above and beyond the 90s.

Similarly with the 90s, the imagery that always comes throgh in movies and TV is the 70s, not the 60s

I'd also be a bit iffy about classifying the 40s being the 70s strongest nostalgia, seems to be more like the 50s to me.

I think you nailed the 80s, strong 50s imagery, I can't really comment as to the 60s as secondary nostalgia though.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/02/20 at 4:04 pm

In the '70s, the '50s was a big thing. There was Happy Days, Lavern & Shirley, & M*A*S*H. I also remember my sisters going to a sock hop where they dressed like the '50s. I thought it looked like fun and I was so jealous that I was too young to go.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/02/20 at 4:15 pm

The case can be made that nostalgia goes back further than that.

I don't know why I didn't realize it until fairly recently, but I believe that the reason the Western genre of movies was so popular from the 1930s through the 1960s was that people back then were nostalgic for the Old West.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/02/20 at 4:19 pm

In the '70s, the '50s was a big thing. There was Happy Days, Lavern & Shirley, & M*A*S*H. I also remember my sisters going to a sock hop where they dressed like the '50s. I thought it looked like fun and I was so jealous that I was too young to go.

Cat

I think that what really kicked off the 1950s nostalgia craze in the 70s was the 1973 George Lucas movie American Graffiti.

Although the movie was set in 1962, the soundtrack was overwhelmingly 1950s music, and the 1950s greaser/hot rod culture was still predominant.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/02/20 at 4:23 pm

I don't think there is a rule. The 2010s had a bunch of 1970s nostalgia too with the return of funk and disco for a bit in 2013.

Written By: Dundee on 01/02/20 at 4:29 pm

I would argue, for example, that the 2000s had little to no nostalgia for the 70s
I strongly disagree with this assertion. A lot of the noughties' fashion, for instance, took either direct (Boho chic) or indirect (bell-bottoms, bedazzling) influences from the 1970s. In music, so many genres like the whole post-punk revival and garage revival things tried to re-emulate bands from the era. Funk and soul songs were heavily sampled by hip hop and r&b producers, while pop artists took many influences from the dance divas of back then.
4H5I6y1Qvz0

Not to mention, electronic music was all about that disco revival back then with genres like french house (Daft Punk) and funky house emerging and being popularized.
Heck, a genre called "nu-disco" was conceived in the 2000s.

Written By: rhubarbcustardcola on 01/02/20 at 4:48 pm

I strongly disagree with this assertion. A lot of the noughties' fashion, for instance, took either direct (Boho chic) or indirect (bell-bottoms, bedazzling) influences from the 1970s. In music, so many genres like the whole post-punk revival and garage revival things tried to re-emulate bands from the era. Funk and soul songs were heavily sampled by hip hop and r&b producers, while pop artists took many influences from the dance divas of back then.
4H5I6y1Qvz0

Not to mention, electronic music was all about that disco revival back then with genres like french house (Daft Punk) and funky house emerging and being popularized.

There was definitely some nostalgia for disco for a while in the early 2000s, but as far as I remember, it died rather abruptly, and was not lasting.

I also won't argue that 70s influences were prevelant in music, because they have been ever since the 70s happened - it never stopped. My first time at university, there was a professor who had "his time" in the 70s and he would always go on about how every decade after the 70s coppied it extensively, and I remember thinking at the time he gave some compelling arguments.

But beyond influences, I still assert there was very little overt 70s nostalgia in the 2000s. Nobody ever mentioned the 70s, it was rarely if ever portrayed in popular media, and mentions of it were usually derogatory, that it was a decade of gross shaggy carpets and too much facial hair.

The single exception I can think of to this would be That 70s Show, which notably started in the 90s and went into that early 2000s carryover, but that seems to have mostly been a US craze, as nobody ever acknowledged its existance where I live, but nobody would shut up about it when I lived in the US in the early 2010s.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/02/20 at 5:04 pm

I think that what really kicked off the 1950s nostalgia craze in the 70s was the 1973 George Lucas movie American Graffiti.

Although the movie was set in 1962, the soundtrack was overwhelmingly 1950s music, and the 1950s greaser/hot rod culture was still predominant.

I'd forgotten about that. There was also Grease which opened on Broadway in 1972 and the movie came out in 1978.

There were also the books That Was Then and This is Now & The Outsiders. I know the time frame is off but they did have the feel of the '50s. (The movies came out much later.)

Cat

Written By: mc98 on 01/02/20 at 5:17 pm

4H5I6y1Qvz0

Don’t forget the shaggy/emo cut is inspired by the long hair in the 70s.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/02/20 at 5:44 pm

There was also nostalgia for disco in the 2010s. 2013 was full of disco and funk songs from Bruno Mars, Pharell, and some other singers. So 1970s nostalgia never fully went away.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/02/20 at 5:50 pm

Here's something you all need to remember about nostalgia: They sanitize the sh!t out of the past.

Back in the 1980's when I was a teenager, anything 1970's related (except for the hard rock) was pretty much taboo. If you had dared to play any disco in the halls of my school back then, not only would you have been ridiculed and shunned but you quite possibly would have gotten your ass kicked. Everything 1970's-related looked utterly ridiculous to us back then, and I never dreamed it possible that it would ever come back. Yet it did, in the early 90's, to a degree. But it was heavily sanitized. I was a little shocked when I first started seeing women wearing bell bottoms again, and I was especially shocked as to how sexy they looked. But they weren't wearing vintage 1970's bell bottoms, rather they were wearing a new, 1990's era interpretation of bell bottoms.

Now granted, I grew up in a small town in Nebraska and our attitudes weren't exactly tolerant back then. On the other hand, our disdain for the 1970's wasn't entirely unfounded. There was a lot of ridiculously tacky, ugly, gaudy fashion in the 1970's and it stayed back there where it belonged. As much as the 1970's had suddenly and unexpectedly become cool again in the 1990's, polyester leisure suits never came back in vogue, not even for a brief moment.

But you know what? It would be funny as hell if they did unironically come back in the 2020's. I doubt I'd wear any of that crap myself but I'd love to see another tacky, kitschy decade like the 1970's again, complete with shag carpeting and baby poop green kitchen appliances.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a4/b2/99/a4b299abda5b459a1003250b367f1c4e.jpg

Viva la Maximalism! 

;D ;D ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 01/02/20 at 5:57 pm

I wish in the 2020s we have a 2010s backlash the same level as the 1970s backlash in the 1980s. Or the level of 1980s backlash in the 1990s. We didn't have that in the 2010s in regards to the 2000s really. I hope in the '20s, people will bash people who play trap music or make fun of people who look like hipsters lol.

Written By: Mascot on 01/02/20 at 6:09 pm

I wish in the 2020s we have a 2010s backlash the same level as the 1970s backlash in the 1980s. Or the level of 1980s backlash in the 1990s. We didn't have that in the 2010s in regards to the 2000s really. I hope in the '20s, people will bash people who play trap music or make fun of people who look like hipsters lol.

We need a new counter culture movement. Hipsters looked outdated by 2018. I better not see hipsters well into the 20s.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/02/20 at 6:16 pm

We need a new counter culture movement. Hipsters looked outdated by 2018. I better not see hipsters well into the 20s.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but hipsters have always existed in one form or another, and they'll never completely go away.

Written By: Mascot on 01/02/20 at 6:23 pm

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but hipsters have always existed in one form or another, and they'll never completely go away.

I'm aware. But it was the 2010s where hipsters were more common (according to google research anyways... :-\\).  Most sources dates the peak of hipster culture to be the late 00s - early/mid 10s. I don't think Hipster culture would go away, but it'd probably become less common to see them.

Written By: wixness on 01/02/20 at 6:32 pm

Spot on. I've always felt the 2010s to be 80s inspired in many aspects. I do hate though that fashion is very gendered in the 2010s and that rock and metal seem to have died out.

Written By: Mascot on 01/02/20 at 6:45 pm

Spot on. I've always felt the 2010s to be 80s inspired in many aspects. I do hate though that fashion is very gendered in the 2010s and that rock and metal seem to have died out.

I'm not much of a rock guy (well except for maybe pop punk), but I do hope rock returns in the '20s.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/02/20 at 7:19 pm

I think you nailed the 80s, strong 50s imagery, I can't really comment as to the 60s as secondary nostalgia though.

According to Wikipedia:

The 1980s and early-to-mid 1990s witnessed a 1960s revival with Hairspray, Grease 2, Mermaids, Matinee, That Thing You Do!, Shag, a revival of the cartoon series The Jetsons with new episodes and a movie, the power pop of the decade being influenced by 1960s pop rock, the garage rock revival (with bands like The Cynics), and 1960s hits covered by various artists. Examples of such covers are "You Keep Me Hangin' On" by Kim Wilde, "Where Did Our Love Go?" and "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell, "Spirit in the Sky" by Doctor and the Medics, "Harlem Shuffle" by The Rolling Stones, "Dancing in the Street" by David Bowie and Mick Jagger, "The Shoop Shoop Song (It's in His Kiss)" by Cher, and "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" by Tight Fit.

Written By: rhubarbcustardcola on 01/02/20 at 7:51 pm

According to Wikipedia:

The 1980s and early-to-mid 1990s witnessed a 1960s revival with Hairspray, Grease 2, Mermaids, Matinee, That Thing You Do!, Shag, a revival of the cartoon series The Jetsons with new episodes and a movie, the power pop of the decade being influenced by 1960s pop rock, the garage rock revival (with bands like The Cynics), and 1960s hits covered by various artists. Examples of such covers are "You Keep Me Hangin' On" by Kim Wilde, "Where Did Our Love Go?" and "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell, "Spirit in the Sky" by Doctor and the Medics, "Harlem Shuffle" by The Rolling Stones, "Dancing in the Street" by David Bowie and Mick Jagger, "The Shoop Shoop Song (It's in His Kiss)" by Cher, and "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" by Tight Fit.

What article is that? Genuinely curious

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/02/20 at 8:23 pm

1970s

I'll disagree - for this reason.  The 70's is when "nostalgia" as is exists today first took hold - before that, there was no such thing.  Sure, old people liked their old stuff (as my many arguments with my Mom and Dad attested), but nobody was "pushing" old music on young ears until the mid 70's, when 50's pop culture suddenly caught on.  Before that (and I can only attest to mid-60s on, the extent of my first-hand experience), new music was cool and old music was square.  That's about the size of it.  I'll add that the popularity of movies like American Graffiti and Grease, plus TV shows like Happy Days did a lot to change the interest level of the average young 70's person towards early rock and roll music.  Thus there was never a significant amount of 40's nostalgia in the 70's or prior.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/02/20 at 8:47 pm

1980s

In the eighties, nostalgia for 50s and 60s was probably closer to 50/50.  It's when oldies radio stations took the country (speaking U.S.A.) by storm - they certainly grabbed me.  Such an engaging "new" old sound - as a twenty-something college student, hearing music I hadn't heard before or barely remembered as I tuned in to Dick Biondi and other big name DJs spinning sounds from the mid-late 50s, 60s and very early 70's all day.  (There wasn't much of any 70's nostalgia in the 80's to speak of; too recent.)  Of course in programming these stations, the professionals had the pick of the litter.  When these stations first hit, they sported very lengthy playlists, before the "consultants" came in and ruined them IMO.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/03/20 at 1:05 am

I think you guys are reading too much into it and thinking too much about it. Nostalgia just comes when people wanna use their free will to reminisce there isn't any rule to it.

Written By: Dundee on 01/03/20 at 4:40 am

There was also nostalgia for disco in the 2010s. 2013 was full of disco and funk songs from Bruno Mars, Pharell, and some other singers. So 1970s nostalgia never fully went away.
What if I told you that the Bruno Mars and Daft Punk stuff actually sounds closer to general spaciness of the synth-funk, boogie and post-disco of the early 80s rather than the raunchy funk and more basic disco of the 70s ;D?
Lrle0x_DHBM
jtMHsNhQBvI

Probably to closest to an actual 70s sound would be "Blurred Lines".

Written By: shrinkingviolet on 01/03/20 at 11:06 am

I hope 90s nostalgia stays in 2010s. People are starting to get sick of the 90s with all the reboots.

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/20 at 11:23 am

The case can be made that nostalgia goes back further than that.

I don't know why I didn't realize it until fairly recently, but I believe that the reason the Western genre of movies was so popular from the 1930s through the 1960s was that people back then were nostalgic for the Old West.

1890s (and 19th century) nostalgia was huge in the 1920s. In the UK it was lionized as the Victorian Era, in France as La belle époque and in the US as the Gay '90s. Reading "1914: The War That Ended Peace" I can't blame them. The Western world was at peace and life was making dramatic improvements before it came crashing down with the Great War. Late 19th century is a really underrated era in history.

Similarly, 1920s nostalgia was big in the 1950s/1960s. But I think we all know that.  :D *does the Charleston*

To respond to the OP, I don't think nostalgia dies out unless the people who remember the era itself die out. 1950s nostalgia was still big in the 1980s/1990s, it took a long time to go away. I think we can expect 1970s-1990s to take a long time as well. One era I hope nostalgia never dies out for is the 1960s; it was tumultuous but totally badass.

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/20 at 11:32 am

I'll disagree - for this reason.  The 70's is when "nostalgia" as is exists today first took hold - before that, there was no such thing.  Sure, old people liked their old stuff (as my many arguments with my Mom and Dad attested), but nobody was "pushing" old music on young ears until the mid 70's, when 50's pop culture suddenly caught on.  Before that (and I can only attest to mid-60s on, the extent of my first-hand experience), new music was cool and old music was square.  That's about the size of it.  I'll add that the popularity of movies like American Graffiti and Grease, plus TV shows like Happy Days did a lot to change the interest level of the average young 70's person towards early rock and roll music.  Thus there was never a significant amount of 40's nostalgia in the 70's or prior.

My dad had Elvis Presley hair in 1977/1978 or so (before he got a perm LOL). For the longest time I thought Elvis was a 70s icon, but in reality he was '50s star whose popularity was revived in the '70s due to his disappearance.  :o

Written By: Mascot on 01/03/20 at 5:55 pm

I hope 90s nostalgia stays in 2010s. People are starting to get sick of the 90s with all the reboots.

I hope so too. Surprised people aren't already sick it.

Written By: shrinkingviolet on 01/04/20 at 11:59 am

I love 90s culture, but I can't stand the people who grew up in that decade.

Written By: deloresthegreat on 01/04/20 at 12:20 pm

As a member of Gen Z... 90s nostalgia will probs start poppin this decade.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/04/20 at 1:04 pm

Haha they were being pretty abusive to us back in the day. It's really nice to know us 2000s kids are not doing the same to 2010s kids and we're more mature than that. Even though early 2000s kids are nothing like late 2000s kids and 2010s kids, we are not putting them down and we don't have a superiority complex like many '90s kids had back in the day (they don't anymore, but back when they were teenagers and in their early 20s most did).

Written By: shrinkingviolet on 01/04/20 at 2:42 pm

Haha they were being pretty abusive to us back in the day. It's really nice to know us 2000s kids are not doing the same to 2010s kids and we're more mature than that. Even though early 2000s kids are nothing like late 2000s kids and 2010s kids, we are not putting them down and we don't have a superiority complex like many '90s kids had back in the day (they don't anymore, but back when they were teenagers and in their early 20s most did).
Most of them still have a superiority complex, it's just in a different way now.

Written By: Mascot on 01/04/20 at 7:23 pm

90's kids and the excess amount of nostalgia for the 90s that the 10s had is what killed 1990s culture for me (aside from maybe a small list of things.)

Most of them still have a superiority complex, it's just in a different way now.

The people who can remember the entire 1990s vividly are in their 30s - early 40s. You telling me these 30/40 somethings are still on the internet making fun of younger people because they didn't grow up with Nirvana or Captain Planet?

If I see 00s/10s kids making fun of 20s kids (yes, they now exist) then I may quit the internet. Only a matter of time...

Written By: Slim95 on 01/04/20 at 9:49 pm

If I see 00s/10s kids making fun of 20s kids (yes, they now exist) then I may quit the internet. Only a matter of time...

Why would 00s kids make fun of 20s kids? They are young enough to be our children. We would be in our 40s by the time they are old enough to be made fun of. They have nothing to do with us. The making fun thing is done by the decade right before it, not 2 decades before.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/05/20 at 12:40 am

Reboots/remakes are seriously one of my main gripes of the 2010s. They often show a lack of originality from Hollywood. *ahem*The Lion King*ahem*

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/20 at 12:49 am

Why would 00s kids make fun of 20s kids? They are young enough to be our children. We would be in our 40s by the time they are old enough to be made fun of. They have nothing to do with us. The making fun thing is done by the decade right before it, not 2 decades before.

I actually notice that it's late 2000s kids who trash 2010s kids the most. Early 2000s kids like us have no reason to pick on 2010s/2020s kids. My 2005 born sisters aren't young enough to be my kids, but raising them, they may as well have been my kids. I don't feel threatened by them. I actually think a lot of the things they grew up with are pretty cool. I mean, yeah there's a lot of trash, but it's not like DBZ or Beyblade or the things I played are winning Oscars either if we're being honest ;D

Written By: shrinkingviolet on 01/05/20 at 1:22 am

90's kids and the excess amount of nostalgia for the 90s that the 10s had is what killed 1990s culture for me (aside from maybe a small list of things.)

The people who can remember the entire 1990s vividly are in their 30s - early 40s. You telling me these 30/40 somethings are still on the internet making fun of younger people because they didn't grow up with Nirvana or Captain Planet?

If I see 00s/10s kids making fun of 20s kids (yes, they now exist) then I may quit the internet. Only a matter of time.
They don't exactly make fun of us, but they still claim to be the best generation who had  everything. Many of them think younger people have nothing going for them, because of the pop culture they grew up with and social media. They just give off an arrogant vibe in general and they do this in real life too.

Also, it irritates how they basically steal the 90s from Generation X. In my opinion if you were born after the early 80s, you don't belong to the 90s.

Written By: shrinkingviolet on 01/05/20 at 1:53 am

I actually notice that it's late 2000s kids who trash 2010s kids the most. Early 2000s kids like us have no reason to pick on 2010s/2020s kids. My 2005 born sisters aren't young enough to be my kids, but raising them, they may as well have been my kids. I don't feel threatened by them. I actually think a lot of the things they grew up with are pretty cool. I mean, yeah there's a lot of trash, but it's not like DBZ or Beyblade or the things I played are winning Oscars either if we're being honest ;D
Why would they make fun of 2010s kids? If we're going to be real here, the late 2000s had some of the weakest animation since the 1970s. The 2010s was a pretty good decade for cartoons, and the late 2000s was not much different from the 2010s. It's just so stupid to make fun of people over something they have no control over.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/05/20 at 3:34 am

I actually notice that it's late 2000s kids who trash 2010s kids the most.

Just curious, where are you noticing this? I think it would be very petty of someone my age or a few years younger to be making fun of people who are not even in high school yet. Sounds real immature to me.

Written By: imrane on 01/05/20 at 4:25 am

As a 90's kid I don't trash talk anyone. I just hate it that some generations hijack trends as if to say you aren't able to enjoy them due to being either too young or too old.

As a 1988 born I've enjoyed lots of 80's and older music and TV originally made before my time (reruns and VH1 Classic), I enjoyed the 90's as they happened and the 2000's and early 2010's. Actually I liked the mid-to-late 2000's more culturally.

Many people online are so intolerant they can't gasp how someone in college could watch Disney Channel in 2007-2011 and enjoy Suite Life On Deck or be in top 40 music in 2013/14 aged 25. The YouTube comments are very ageist, like they claim only a 2000's born was enjoying Gotye, Fun etc. Thank God in real life no one is that ageist and close-minded.

Written By: Howard on 01/05/20 at 6:53 am

Reboots/remakes are seriously one of my main gripes of the 2010s. They often show a lack of originality from Hollywood. *ahem*The Lion King*ahem*

This is what the people want, I don't mind one unless it's pretty good and it might be worth viewing.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/05/20 at 9:43 am

As a 90's kid I don't trash talk anyone. I just hate it that some generations hijack trends as if to say you aren't able to enjoy them due to being either too young or too old.

As a 1988 born I've enjoyed lots of 80's and older music and TV originally made before my time (reruns and VH1 Classic), I enjoyed the 90's as they happened and the 2000's and early 2010's. Actually I liked the mid-to-late 2000's more culturally.

Many people online are so intolerant they can't gasp how someone in college could watch Disney Channel in 2007-2011 and enjoy Suite Life On Deck or be in top 40 music in 2013/14 aged 25. The YouTube comments are very ageist, like they claim only a 2000's born was enjoying Gotye, Fun etc. Thank God in real life no one is that ageist and close-minded.

Yeah, I pretty much expect some people down in YouTube comment sections of songs from the past to criticize the present-day culture.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/05/20 at 5:35 pm

It already happened lol. Now you've got older zoomers hating younger zoomers online, saying "2000-2004 born gang RISE UP, 2005 was the start of Fortnite Jake Paulers", "Minecraft kids are better than Fortnite kids", "Minecraft good Fortnite bad", "In my day we had Big Time Rush, not BTS", "So glad I grew up on Just Dance and not Cardi B", etc.

Feels kinda weird since I remember when late 00s-early 10s culture was widely hated, but now it's beloved. It's an endless cycle, lol. In 10 years I predict seeing "Fortnite good, Geraldine's Bronze Shootypunch Funhouse bad" or something like that.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/05/20 at 5:45 pm

The term "Early 2000s kid" got messed up on the internet, similar to what happened to "90s kid". Now I see people literally born in the early 2000s using it to describe themselves. Like I see people on Reddit calling Minecraft an "Early 2000s kid thing".

Whereas before 2018, "early 2000s kid" meant people born around 1993-1997 since they were in elementary in the early 2000s. But that ship has sailed.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/05/20 at 7:03 pm

Man I miss the early 2000s so much.  :(

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/06/20 at 8:45 am

Man I miss the early 2000s so much.  :(

Looking at my childhood photos from 2000-2003 is weird because those photos are genuinely on the cusp of being old school if they’re not already. Feels like a different world - all the cars look old, all the kids and teenagers wore lose-fitting clothes and chunky sneakers (which are making a comeback now), TVs and computers were huge, VCR was still common..

I loved my early 2000s childhood. I’d love to go back just for one day with my (almost) 25 year old mind and spend one more summer afternoon playing with my old school friends, pretending to be characters from Digimon or Pokemon..

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/06/20 at 9:26 am

Yeah, I don’t agree with this. If anything 90’s nostalgia was probably the biggest nostalgia of the 2010’s, especially with all these reboots of movies from then.

Written By: GameXcaper on 01/07/20 at 1:36 pm

1970s

1980s

1990s
Primary nostalgia: 60s
Secondary nostalgia: 70s

2000s
Primary nostalgia: 70s
Secondary nostalgia: 80s

2010s
Primary nostalgia: 80s
Secondary nostalgia: 90s

2020s
Primary nostalgia: 90s
Secondary nostalgia: 2000s

2030s
Primary nostalgia: 2000s
Secondary nostalgia: 2010s

This is why, despite there being a ton of 80s nostalgia in the 2010s (Stranger things, Drive, synthwave, Kung fury), there was also a lot of 90s nostalgia (X-files, 90s are all that, 90s kid craze/debate on social media, Surge and crystal pepsi, Pokemon go). In the 2020s, there will be mostly 90s nostalgia, but paired with 2000s nostalgia. In the 2010s, it will be 2000s nostalgia with 2010s nostalgia. Etc.

I said the same thing not too long ago, and posted links where others came to the same conclusion. The only problem I see with your post is that the secondary and primary nostalgia should be reversed. The primary nostalgia for a decade is for the decade that occurred 20 years prior and the secondary is for the one that occurred 30 years prior.

Check for new replies or respond here...