inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The beginning of a new decade is always awkward

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/03/20 at 12:19 am

Because 90% of your pop culture and politics is from the previous decade. So its as if last year has never ended.

Subject: Re: The beginning of a new decade is always awkward

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/03/20 at 12:54 am

It's also still January.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/03/20 at 1:03 am

Because 90% of your pop culture and politics is from the previous decade. So its as if last year has never ended.

In this case, and in the case of the 1990s. This was not the same case for the 2000s and the 2010s, in which those decades started early and we were already firmly in the culture.

Right now, culturally we are still in the 2010s. So 2020s culture is still up in the air.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/03/20 at 1:10 am

In this case, and in the case of the 1990s. This was not the same case for the 2000s and the 2010s, in which those decades started early and we were already firmly in the culture.

Right now, culturally we are still in the 2010s. So 2020s culture is still up in the air.

I noticed that you and Early 90's Guy are really the only one's on this site who have believed 2000's culture started in 1999 or before the 2000's decade began. While I respect your opinion (along with his) I don't necessarily agree fully but it's great to see that you're giving 2000's culture a lot more love by thinking this way.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/03/20 at 1:41 am

I noticed that you and Early 90's Guy are really the only one's on this site who have believed 2000's culture started in 1999 or before the 2000's decade began. While I respect your opinion (along with his) I don't necessarily agree fully but it's great to see that you're giving 2000's culture a lot more love by thinking this way.

For sure man. I've always felt 2000s culture was not appreciated because people thought the 1990s were still around in the early '00s which isn't true. The new decade's culture started in 1999 with Y2K and I think that defines the 2000s in a big way. That's the first thing I think of when I think about the 2000s. And that's also when my core childhood started. 

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/03/20 at 6:12 am

Yeah, this is the case every year.

Written By: shrinkingviolet on 01/03/20 at 10:50 am

For sure man. I've always felt 2000s culture was not appreciated because people thought the 1990s were still around in the early '00s which isn't true. The new decade's culture started in 1999 with Y2K and I think that defines the 2000s in a big way. That's the first thing I think of when I think about the 2000s. And that's also when my core childhood started.
2000s culture already started by 1998 imo.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/03/20 at 6:03 pm

I think me, slim and shrinkingviolet all agree that the 90’s ended by 1998. 1998-2005 was more about bubbly pop, southern hip hop, r&b inspired by digital tech (y2k) and the millennium. When I think of the 90’s I think of dark lip stick/aesthetics, grunge, gangsta rap,  mom jeans and baggy pants (which were still in style during the first half of the 2000’s), and a more analog sense of living. By 1998 everyone was very optimistic for the new and improved. Teen pop craze started a new sense of pop music. Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, Michael Jackson,  and Shania Twain were no longer the faces of mainstream pop music by 2000 either. It was all about Christina Aguilera, Backstreet boys, Nsync and Britney Spears which in my opinion are 2000’s (or Y2K groups)rather than 90’s bands.

Written By: Mascot on 01/03/20 at 6:13 pm

When it came to the early 2000s the odd thing I've noticed is that none of the trends in the early 00s actually started and became popular in the early 00s. If you name almost anything that was big between 00 - '02/'03 there is a big chance it was already popular or at least already begun somewhere between '98/'99.

Early 2010s was slightly different, I guess. I could easily be wrong on this. In cases like Electro Pop that was already big in the late 00s. But in cases like Vaporwave that started in 2010 and got popular by 2012. But this is just a small example. Someone more knowledgeable on the early 2010s may speak up here.

Early 2020s? Errr.... Can't say for now since we're only on day 3 of the '20s. All I hope is that we get some new music styles happening on the radio. I'll make my own music if I have to (whether it'll be good is a completely different subject. ;D ;D)

Written By: Slim95 on 01/03/20 at 6:43 pm

When it came to the early 2000s the odd thing I've noticed is that none of the trends in the early 00s actually started and became popular in the early 00s. If you name almost anything that was big between 00 - '02/'03 there is a big chance it was already popular or at least already begun somewhere between '98/'99.

Early 2010s was slightly different, I guess. I could easily be wrong on this. In cases like Electro Pop that was already big in the late 00s. But in cases like Vaporwave that started in 2010 and got popular by 2012. But this is just a small example. Someone more knowledgeable on the early 2010s may speak up here.

Early 2020s? Errr.... Can't say for now since we're only on day 3 of the '20s. All I hope is that we get some new music styles happening on the radio. I'll make my own music if I have to (whether it'll be good is a completely different subject. ;D ;D)

To me the 2010s started in 2008. The 2000s started in 1998. The 2020s? Only the Lord knows lol. Maybe 2021 or maybe this year, we'll see. But probably soon because the 2010s culture is long in the tooth.

I guess it's similar to the case of the 1990s. Which I believe started culturally in 1991? That's what most people say so I guess that's what it will be like. Or it will be like the 1980s which I think started on time (1980). Maybe the '20s will be like that and the culture will start this year in 2020. Let's hope!

Written By: mc98 on 01/03/20 at 7:00 pm

Imo, the 2010s started in late 2009/early 2010. There is no way I'm gonna accept late 2008 as the starting point of 2010s just because Obama was elected.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/03/20 at 7:10 pm

Imo, the 2010s started in late 2009/early 2010. There is no way I'm gonna accept late 2008 as the starting point of 2010s just because Obama was elected.

It's not just about Obama... Lady Gaga came out with new music, the recession started, music sounded different, the new flat design started (Pepsi changed their logo that year to fit the design), fashion started to change and get more colourful and tight too. 2008 was transformational. It was the year when the 2010s decade started culturally.

Written By: violet_shy on 01/03/20 at 7:54 pm

I'm guessing by the Fall we could start seeing some changes. I could be wrong though. Just seems to me like the end of the year maybe. Who knows.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/03/20 at 9:47 pm

If talking about other than pop culture per se, it usually takes some kind of catalyst for changes to happen - big news-worthy events, changes in laws, major elections, new inventions, new important/influential people emerging on the scene, that sort of thing.  (Occasionally this includes major influential pop culture phenomenon, when it's major and influential enough.)

For example, why do people love their I-Phones?  People didn't just suddenly decide they need a little hand held device to love.  A big company's execs had a dream (or signed on to one of their underlings' dreams), they paid some smart engineers, the engineers applied their collective skill and developed an I-Phone, they put their phone on the market, marketed the phone, people bought it and then after all that, that is when people decided they love their I-Phones.  Before I-Phones were invented, nobody sulked about they didn't have an I-Phone (though some likely wished they had certain of the phone's capabilities).  All this to say, the invention preceded the societal change; it came first.  But that is normal.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/03/20 at 11:30 pm

I guess it's similar to the case of the 1990s. Which I believe started culturally in 1991? That's what most people say so I guess that's what it will be like. Or it will be like the 1980s which I think started on time (1980). Maybe the '20s will be like that and the culture will start this year in 2020. Let's hope!

80s culture started more like 1981, when Reagan was inagurated and MTV began, but that's still pretty close to on-time.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/04/20 at 2:20 am

80s culture started more like 1981, when Reagan was inagurated and MTV began, but that's still pretty close to on-time.

I guess but I heard many people said it started in 1980 because 1979 was Disco Demolition Night and people already were ingrained in the new decade's cultural mindset and ready for a new culture in 1980. So maybe something similar will happen this year in 2020.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/04/20 at 2:37 am

It wasn’t just Obama being elected, we had a recession that went global in September of 2008-2009 which changed a lot of things. I was in junior high at the time and remember it well. Teachers getting pink slips from left to right and coming in our classroom in tears, gas prices being skyrocketed, here in SF shopping/grocery  bags were being charged by 10 cents (which is now standard throughout the states), parents loosing their jobs/homes, etc. Remember this was global not just US centered. The atmosphere was just different. As a kid I wouldn’t expect many to really remember the impact of it all, however I was a preteen by that point and old enough to understand how economically depressed we were during the late 2000’s. Also it was around this time when southern hip hop was starting to loose it’s flair and culture was beginning to change. TV channels stopped servicing their channels through analog connections and made the switch to digital in 2008-2009 (here in the states). I’m gonna look at some yearbook photos and post them from that time.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/04/20 at 3:23 am

I guess my response to this thread is the beginning of a new decade is not "always" awkward, but in this case for the 2020s it is.  :)

Written By: rapplepop on 01/05/20 at 10:43 pm

I don't know, I feel like the 2010s have been fading for a while. Vaping is dying out, Sriracha and La Croix aren't cool anymore, EDM is basically dead or at least no longer mainstream popular.

I think early 2020 so far feels exactly like 2019 as you'd expect five days into the year, but different from say early 2018.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/06/20 at 6:51 am

I don't know, I feel like the 2010s have been fading for a while. Vaping is dying out, Sriracha and La Croix aren't cool anymore, EDM is basically dead or at least no longer mainstream popular.

I think early 2020 so far feels exactly like 2019 as you'd expect five days into the year, but different from say early 2018.

How so? Vaping just got more popular with Juul, and people in high school have been vaping in school bathrooms and there are lots of jocks and depressed people in my school who vape. If we talk about 2019, Juul would spring to mind, and pretty much a lot of people would agree. And plus, a typical stupid high schooler brags about vaping and would show a picture/video of them juuling. If you dont think vaping and juuling is the same thing, they are. Sorry if I was too explanatory here...

Written By: Sman12 on 01/06/20 at 7:06 am

I honestly hope that the late 2010s are different than the early 2020s (2020-2023) so that we wouldn't have a cultural identity carryover. I'm ready for a new culture to begin.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/06/20 at 7:31 am

You guys may disagree with me but here's how I view it:

The Bush 41 era (As #Infinity calls it): Fall 1988 to Summer 1991:
Music was heavily influenced by New Jack Swing with Bobby Brown, Bell Biv Devoe, New Edition, etc. However, Hair metal was still popular during this time with Guns & Roses. Hip Hop enters its golden era with NWA and Public Enemy. Vanilla Ice, Rob Base, and MC Hammer were also very popular during this time. House music becomes popular with Technotronic and Snap! Aside from music, Teenage mutant ninja turtles was very popular among children. Other shows like Family matters, Seinfield, and Roseann were released around 1988-89. The NES was at its peak during this period. Doesnt feel very 1980s but doesnt feel 1990s either.

The Y2K Era: Late Winter 1998 to May 2001:
Era begins with Britney Spears, Pokemon, Nu-metal, Ocarina of Time, Half Life, and Powerpuff girls entering the mainstream. The Sega Dreamcast was released, and peaked in popularity in 1999/2000. The Y2K scare was further amplified, but things become more optimistic for the new Millennium. Movies like the Matrix, Blade, Spy Kids, Pitch Black, X-Men, and others are representative of the Y2K vibe. Teen pop peaked around Late 2000 with acts like Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, NSync, Backstreet Boys, Dream, and 98 Degrees. Nintendo 64 and Playstation 1 were at its peak around 1998-1999. Fashion was very metallic as well. Doesnt feel 1990s but doesnt feel very 2000s either.

The Electropop era (Part 1): Fall 2008 to April 2011:
Electropop is very representative of this time with acts like Katy Perry, Usher, Lady Gaga, Kesha, Rihanna, and Taio Cruz dominating this era. R&B acts like Usher changed their style for a more Electropop appearance. Shows like Big Bang Theory, Breaking Bad, Glee were very popular. With cartoons, Phineas and Ferb was very popular, as well as Spongebob, despite being less influential as opposed to the Early 2000s, remained popular during the time (Still to this day of course), and Disney Channel was also still popular with Hannah Montana, Suite Life on Deck, Sonny with a chance, and Big Time rush. Call of duty was rising in popularity with Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops 1, and the Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii systems were at its peak. With children and teens, Club Penguin was very popular, as well as other flash games from Y8 and Miniclip. Fashion is inspired from the 80s with a neon appearance. Flip phones were still popular, despite smartphones slowly taking over. Obama becomes president, and the economy is in major recession. Doesn't feel 2000s, but doesnt feel extremely 2010s either.

For 2019/2020, well, this era is not finished yet and I dont know what to call it, but Billie Eilish and Lizzo are popular pop artists, and Emo Trap is popular. Disney+ is popular, and Mandalorian is a big hit. Doesnt feel super 2010s but doesnt feel 2020s either.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/06/20 at 9:17 am

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. I honestly believe 2020 will be 2010’s in everything but name alone. I actually don’t expect a cultural shift until at least 2021 at the earliest (especially if Trump loses) But I definitely think the second half of this decade will feel very different. In fact, I predict this will probably be one of the most culturally split decades since the 2000’s.

Written By: Howard on 01/06/20 at 3:15 pm

How so? Vaping just got more popular with Juul, and people in high school have been vaping in school bathrooms and there are lots of jocks and depressed people in my school who vape. If we talk about 2019, Juul would spring to mind, and pretty much a lot of people would agree. And plus, a typical stupid high schooler brags about vaping and would show a picture/video of them juuling. If you dont think vaping and juuling is the same thing, they are. Sorry if I was too explanatory here...

And I see a lot of commercials for them.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/07/20 at 1:52 pm

You guys may disagree with me but here's how I view it:

The Bush 41 era (As #Infinity calls it): Fall 1988 to Summer 1991:
Music was heavily influenced by New Jack Swing with Bobby Brown, Bell Biv Devoe, New Edition, etc. However, Hair metal was still popular during this time with Guns & Roses. Hip Hop enters its golden era with NWA and Public Enemy. Vanilla Ice, Rob Base, and MC Hammer were also very popular during this time. House music becomes popular with Technotronic and Snap! Aside from music, Teenage mutant ninja turtles was very popular among children. Other shows like Family matters, Seinfield, and Roseann were released around 1988-89. The NES was at its peak during this period. Doesnt feel very 1980s but doesnt feel 1990s either.

The Y2K Era: Late Winter 1998 to May 2001:
Era begins with Britney Spears, Pokemon, Nu-metal, Ocarina of Time, Half Life, and Powerpuff girls entering the mainstream. The Sega Dreamcast was released, and peaked in popularity in 1999/2000. The Y2K scare was further amplified, but things become more optimistic for the new Millennium. Movies like the Matrix, Blade, Spy Kids, Pitch Black, X-Men, and others are representative of the Y2K vibe. Teen pop peaked around Late 2000 with acts like Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, NSync, Backstreet Boys, Dream, and 98 Degrees. Nintendo 64 and Playstation 1 were at its peak around 1998-1999. Fashion was very metallic as well. Doesnt feel 1990s but doesnt feel very 2000s either.

The Electropop era (Part 1): Fall 2008 to April 2011:
Electropop is very representative of this time with acts like Katy Perry, Usher, Lady Gaga, Kesha, Rihanna, and Taio Cruz dominating this era. R&B acts like Usher changed their style for a more Electropop appearance. Shows like Big Bang Theory, Breaking Bad, Glee were very popular. With cartoons, Phineas and Ferb was very popular, as well as Spongebob, despite being less influential as opposed to the Early 2000s, remained popular during the time (Still to this day of course), and Disney Channel was also still popular with Hannah Montana, Suite Life on Deck, Sonny with a chance, and Big Time rush. Call of duty was rising in popularity with Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops 1, and the Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii systems were at its peak. With children and teens, Club Penguin was very popular, as well as other flash games from Y8 and Miniclip. Fashion is inspired from the 80s with a neon appearance. Flip phones were still popular, despite smartphones slowly taking over. Obama becomes president, and the economy is in major recession. Doesn't feel 2000s, but doesnt feel extremely 2010s either.

For 2019/2020, well, this era is not finished yet and I dont know what to call it, but Billie Eilish and Lizzo are popular pop artists, and Emo Trap is popular. Disney+ is popular, and Mandalorian is a big hit. Doesnt feel super 2010s but doesnt feel 2020s either.

I’d say the y2k era felt 2000’s. I think it was the start of 2000’s culture and makes up the identity of 2000’s culture. 90’s culture was way different. I agree with everything you said. Dream was popular around early 2001 and Spy Kids came out around 2001. I remember Mya’s case of the ex around that time too. O-town had a few songs and westlife were big but not in the US unfortunately:(. 2003/2004 was the last year of any y2k influences from what I can remember. The millennium era in general was a great time.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/07/20 at 4:33 pm

Y2K was 100% 2000s. I really wish it was seen as 2000s in mainstream culture and not '90s. Also that was my childhood and I am not a '90s kid I am a true 2000s kid. That culture in the year 2000 was the bomb.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/07/20 at 5:12 pm

I just consider Y2K...Y2K. It's own era separate from the "classic 2000s." I do consider the 'early 2000s' (specifically 02/03) as part of the classic 2000s. Not sure why people have to be so reluctant to include 02/03 with the classic 2000s.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/07/20 at 5:13 pm

Also I feel 2009 was more "awkward" than 2010 if that matters at all in this discussion.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/07/20 at 5:15 pm

I just consider Y2K...Y2K. It's own era separate from the "classic 2000s." I do consider the 'early 2000s' (specifically 02/03) as part of the classic 2000s. Not sure why people have to be so reluctant to include 02/03 with the classic 2000s.

Y2K and 2000 was also part of the classic 2000s. Both numerically and culturally. It defined the decade very well.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/08/20 at 12:07 am

Y2k was all about the new decade, the 2000’s. Everything became futuristic and optimistic because of the new millennium we were entering which is why I feel it is more apart of 2000’s culture. 2002 was still pretty Y2K feeling at least in terms of kid culture, it was  different from 1999-2002/2003. Politically 1999 and 2002 were a different ball game. Especially after 9/11. Fashion remained the same from 1998-2003ish.

Written By: MikeyYankeeMan99 on 01/08/20 at 3:12 pm

I would view the Y2K era from late 1998 to late 2001 to most people's experiences. 2002, 2003, 2004, and possibly 2005 could extend there as it did have some 90s/early 2000s influences in a way.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/09/20 at 12:01 pm

Let me just clear this up here. Y2K isn't just simply "Y2K", the Y2K era means the transition from 90's to 00's culture or the transition from late 90's to early 00's culture. That's what 1999 and 2000 in its entirety represented, or late 1998 to mid 2001. That was the Y2K era, the millennum era, or the late 90's to early 00's transitional era. I understand Slim95 and Early 90's Guy believe that we were in straight up early 00's culture by 1999, and that's okay, that's just them. They view the transition differently than we do. Pop culture from 1999 like Brittany Spears, Spongebob, Family Guy, and Pokemon represented the 00's, but at the same time, you CANNOT ignore the fact that in 1999, the fashion was still very late 90's like, a lot of the vehicle models being released still originated from the 90's, 5th generation gaming was still at its height which was a straight up 90's thing, in cinema & movies we were still in the late 90's culturally, the 00's culturally for movies did not begin until 2001. 1999 & 2000 had a perfect mixture of the latest 90's trends but the earliest 00's trends at the same time. That's what Y2K means. Don't look at Y2K as just "Y2K", look at Y2K as the 90's to 00's transitional period. The period was neither strictly late 90's culturally or strictly early 00's culturally. It was a perfect blend of both.

Written By: 2001 on 01/09/20 at 12:13 pm

2000 is '90s as the new decade did not start until 2001.

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/09/20 at 1:14 pm

This post is a little too sexual for this forum

Written By: Slim95 on 01/09/20 at 1:34 pm

Let me just clear this up here. Y2K isn't just simply "Y2K", the Y2K era means the transition from 90's to 00's culture or the transition from late 90's to early 00's culture. That's what 1999 and 2000 in its entirety represented, or late 1998 to mid 2001. That was the Y2K era, the millennum era, or the late 90's to early 00's transitional era. I understand Slim95 and Early 90's Guy believe that we were in straight up early 00's culture by 1999, and that's okay, that's just them. They view the transition differently than we do. Pop culture from 1999 like Brittany Spears, Spongebob, Family Guy, and Pokemon represented the 00's, but at the same time, you CANNOT ignore the fact that in 1999, the fashion was still very late 90's like, a lot of the vehicle models being released still originated from the 90's, 5th generation gaming was still at its height which was a straight up 90's thing, in cinema & movies we were still in the late 90's culturally, the 00's culturally for movies did not begin until 2001. 1999 & 2000 had a perfect mixture of the latest 90's trends but the earliest 00's trends at the same time. That's what Y2K means. Don't look at Y2K as just "Y2K", look at Y2K as the 90's to 00's transitional period. The period was neither strictly late 90's culturally or strictly early 00's culturally. It was a perfect blend of both.

I don't think the Y2K era was a transitional era I think it was literally part of the 2000s culture. In fact in my mind when someone mentions "2000s" the first thing that pops up in my head is Y2K and that futuristic feel from the year 2000.

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/09/20 at 1:36 pm

I don't think the Y2K era was a transitional era I think it was literally part of the 2000s culture. In fact in my mind when someone mentions "2000s" the first thing that pops up in my head is Y2K and that futuristic feel from the year 2000.

Ew.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/09/20 at 3:22 pm

September 1998 to May 2001 is the Y2K era.

Yes, there was a transition in and out of that era. September 1996 to August 1998 was basically a mixture of Core 90s and Y2K trends.

May 2001 to September 2001 is the transition out of it.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/09/20 at 3:31 pm

September 1998 to May 2001 is the Y2K era.

Yes, there was a transition in and out of that era. September 1996 to August 1998 was basically a mixture of Core 90s and Y2K trends.

May 2001 to September 2001 is the transition out of it.

It was not a transition. It was part of the 2000s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/15/21 at 10:38 am

It is always awkward for a new decade (or any year) is hard for it occurs in the heart of a bleak midwinter.

Written By: CarCar on 11/15/21 at 9:27 pm

To me the 2010s started in 2008. The 2000s started in 1998. The 2020s? Only the Lord knows lol. Maybe 2021 or maybe this year, we'll see. But probably soon because the 2010s culture is long in the tooth.

Sometimes I get the impression that 90s culture was born in the Late 80s with shows like Full House, Family Matters, The Simpsons, Gangsta Rap, Gameboy Advanced and New Jack Swing becoming more popular by that time. Of course some things like Grunge hadn’t come yet but the 90s is more then just that. The beginning of every decade is also exciting because it feels like the start of something new I’m not just day to day life but also officially on calendar

Written By: CarCar on 11/15/21 at 9:35 pm

In my view, somethings started in the previous but would like become popular in the upcoming decade.

Britney Spears for example. She started in 1998 but her career would go on to define the upcoming decade despite having a few hits in the end of it. We only now put her as one of the landmarks to decide when 2000s culture was forming.

The 2000s started in 2000 as the 1990s started in 1990 but there was somethings that were and weren’t around yet in each decade’s defining culture before we actually got there.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/15/21 at 10:02 pm

Funny how nobody predicted the worldwide pandemic on this post. Haha thanks for bumping this CarCar, feels nice looking back at more innocent times. I cannot believe this post isn't even 2 years old yet but feels like a decade ago.

Written By: CarCar on 11/15/21 at 10:16 pm

Funny how nobody predicted the worldwide pandemic on this post. Haha thanks for bumping this CarCar, feels nice looking back at more innocent times. I cannot believe this post isn't even 2 years old yet but feels like a decade ago.

Nobody saw it coming at all, who would have thought a virus discovered in the end of 2019 would turn into an epidemic the following year.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 11/16/21 at 1:50 am

Despite the massive changes to the world since the start of 2020, I still feel like we're kinda in the late 2010's culturally

Written By: Howard on 11/16/21 at 3:33 am

Nobody saw it coming at all, who would have thought a virus discovered in the end of 2019 would turn into an epidemic the following year.

And we're still in the pandemic as of 2021.

Written By: passthegabagool on 11/16/21 at 7:36 am

Way I see it is that 2019 was late 2010s with some music trends from the early 2020s popping up like TikTok, Lil Nas X, Doja Cat, etc.

2020 came with COVID and basically locked pop culture until early 2021 when some restrictions were lifted and things reopened.

2021 is half late 10s and half early 20s culturally IMO.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 11/16/21 at 3:57 pm

I wonder exactly how much of an impact Covid had on the advancement of culture. I thought it would accelerate things in a darker direction, similar to how 9/11 changed the 2000's but instead it seems like Covid just halted advancement

Written By: NightmareFarm on 11/16/21 at 4:14 pm

I wonder exactly how much of an impact Covid had on the advancement of culture. I thought it would accelerate things in a darker direction, similar to how 9/11 changed the 2000's but instead it seems like Covid just halted advancement

Ironically music headed in a brighter direction since COVID

Written By: JacobThePlante on 11/16/21 at 4:45 pm

Ironically music headed in a brighter direction since COVID

It looks like it did something similar to what happened after the 2008 recession. People were turning to music for comfort, so demand for uplifting music increased, and artists started making happier music

Written By: NightmareFarm on 11/16/21 at 4:47 pm

It looks like it did something similar to what happened after the 2008 recession. People were turning to music for comfort, so demand for uplifting music increased, and artists started making happier music

You have a point there.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/16/21 at 8:35 pm

That could be the case but we also have to remember the Weeknd and Dua Lipa's retro pop albums got released in late 2019. Their hits just got popular in 2020. But it is possible it wouldn't have done so well and wouldn't have paved the way for more upbeat dance pop if the pandemic didn't happen.

Written By: Howard on 11/17/21 at 3:51 am

And people were trying to get their minds away from COVID.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/17/21 at 5:46 am

I thought at worst it would be like another Zika, Ebola, Bird Flu, Swine Flu, or the SARS outbreak of 2003. Not something that would ruin the entire first two years of this decade.

That could be the case but we also have to remember the Weeknd and Dua Lipa's retro pop albums got released in late 2019. Their hits just got popular in 2020. But it is possible it wouldn't have done so well and wouldn't have paved the way for more upbeat dance pop if the pandemic didn't happen.

I think they would have been big hits regardless, especially big names like them.

Same with the early 1990's. A lot of people don't remember that one as it was nothing compared to the late 00's or the pandemic. Most just remember it as a time of upbeat culture.

Check for new replies or respond here...