inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is this the most hectic turn of the decade since ww2?

Written By: Fearsword on 01/03/20 at 12:24 am

I don’t recall a change of decade in my lifetime that has been overshadowed by huge world events. For example, the bushfires in Australia have pretty much dominated news over here. My local news station on New Years pretty much covered he fires the whole bulletin and only made a brief mention of the new year celebrations. The iconic New Year’s Eve fireworks in Sydney were quite controversial too with many calling for them to be cancelled out of respect to the victims of the bushfires. Elsewhere, New Years celebrations were subdued in Hong Kong due to ongoing protests. In America, Trumps impeachment and the potential war with Iran have dominated headlines.

The y2k and 00s into 10s I don’t recall had any major world events happening around that time. Even the y2k bug was a big non-event.

Subject: Re: Is this the most hectic turn of the decade since ww2?

Written By: wixness on 01/03/20 at 12:31 am

It's armageddon, or alternatively, what happens if you let market and religious fundamentalists run and ruin this world (or in the case of China, communists in name only who pursued only economic gains).

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/20 at 12:35 am

I think the Haiti earthquake happened early in 2010, IIRC.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/03/20 at 1:10 am

I don’t recall a change of decade in my lifetime that has been overshadowed by huge world events. For example, the bushfires in Australia have pretty much dominated news over here. My local news station on New Years pretty much covered he fires the whole bulletin and only made a brief mention of the new year celebrations. The iconic New Year’s Eve fireworks in Sydney were quite controversial too with many calling for them to be cancelled out of respect to the victims of the bushfires.

Quite possibly, but it's pretty easy to see why. There isn't much reason to celebrate when here in Australia, over 500 million animals are estimated to have been wiped out and 17 people have lost their lives. We're running out of water and the bushfires are out of control; there's no end in sight. Many people would have been peeved off if Seven, Nine and Ten had decided to focus more on the fireworks celebrations over covering the bushfire crisis. I'm glad that the 2019 NYE celebrations were so subdued.

Written By: Fearsword on 01/03/20 at 6:01 am

I think that shows how bad these bushfires really are. There was even a small grass fire in my hometown which was thankfully extinguished quite quickly. The bushfires in east Gippsland have managed to generate their own weather, raising the air temperature and generating thunderstorms which in turn leads to more fires.

Quite possibly, but it's pretty easy to see why. There isn't much reason to celebrate when here in Australia, over 500 million animals are estimated to have been wiped out and 17 people have lost their lives. We're running out of water and the bushfires are out of control; there's no end in sight. Many people would have been peeved off if Seven, Nine and Ten had decided to focus more on the fireworks celebrations over covering the bushfire crisis. I'm glad that the 2019 NYE celebrations were so subdued.

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/04/20 at 6:07 pm

I'm actually worried that this could be a decade of war.

Written By: duenas8 on 01/05/20 at 10:56 am

Fireworks in Chile also were canceled due to massive protests around the country. People are just tired of the neoliberal system and the 2020s won’t seem to get peaceful

Written By: wixness on 01/05/20 at 1:12 pm

Fireworks in Chile also were canceled due to massive protests around the country. People are just tired of the neoliberal system and the 2020s won’t seem to get peaceful
The sooner neoliberalism dies, the better.
Plus, according to my parents from what they've seen on the news (BBC, CNN, Sky News, occasionally Al-Jazeera and NHK all as part of their cable TV service), the UK have decided to team up with the US again for war. Just like the 2000s, but without the good stuff about then.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/13/20 at 4:16 pm

I don't know how many of you recall how I have been saying that we (as in humanity WE) are at a crossroads. I have used the analogy of when I was in the service. I was working in telecommunications-and at one time I was even a telephone operator for the base-using an old cord board. I just happen to be working the evening they retired the old board. In the back room was where the entire phone system for the entire base was. As the new system was turned on, the old system basically fought it and MAN WAS IT LOUD! As the new system started to take hold, it got quieter and quieter until it took over the entire operation and the old system died. (BTW, I have the old dialer of that board as a souvenir.) That is where were are now. The old system & the new system are fighting it out and it is LOUD! You see it with all the protesting that is going on around the world. But COVID-19 may be one of the catalyst that precipitates change. 

I am going to make another one of my predictions. I predict that there will be a new world order within the next ten years. I believe that some of these authoritarian regimes-like Iran & Saudi Arabia will fall-especially when the world moves away from fossil fuels more and more. Also I think the COVID-19 has hit Iran hard and I think it will get worse before it gets better. Not saying that I wish that will happen but it is already happening and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if their "Supreme Leader" also gets wiped out by it. Also, this price war on oil that the Saudis are playing, I do believe will come back and bite them in the ass. I believe the Russians will grow tired of their economic situation (because their economy is also built on oil), they will overthrow Putin. 

Here at home (well, in the U.S. that is), we will FINALLY have universal health care and paid family leave (COVID-19 has shown that we really need both). We will also learn not to depend on China for so much of our goods. We will also create new jobs in the green industry as we move away from fossil fuels.

Of course the biggest question is will we survive the next 10 years?  :-\\

Cat

Written By: Fearsword on 03/13/20 at 7:26 pm

I don't know how many of you recall how I have been saying that we (as in humanity WE) are at a crossroads. I have used the analogy of when I was in the service. I was working in telecommunications-and at one time I was even a telephone operator for the base-using an old cord board. I just happen to be working the evening they retired the old board. In the back room was where the entire phone system for the entire base was. As the new system was turned on, the old system basically fought it and MAN WAS IT LOUD! As the new system started to take hold, it got quieter and quieter until it took over the entire operation and the old system died. (BTW, I have the old dialer of that board as a souvenir.) That is where were are now. The old system & the new system are fighting it out and it is LOUD! You see it with all the protesting that is going on around the world. But COVID-19 may be one of the catalyst that precipitates change. 

I am going to make another one of my predictions. I predict that there will be a new world order within the next ten years. I believe that some of these authoritarian regimes-like Iran & Saudi Arabia will fall-especially when the world moves away from fossil fuels more and more. Also I think the COVID-19 has hit Iran hard and I think it will get worse before it gets better. Not saying that I wish that will happen but it is already happening and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if their "Supreme Leader" also gets wiped out by it. Also, this price war on oil that the Saudis are playing, I do believe will come back and bite them in the ass. I believe the Russians will grow tired of their economic situation (because their economy is also built on oil), they will overthrow Putin. 

Here at home (well, in the U.S. that is), we will FINALLY have universal health care and paid family leave (COVID-19 has shown that we really need both). We will also learn not to depend on China for so much of our goods. We will also create new jobs in the green industry as we move away from fossil fuels.

Cat

If there any sign that the 2010s are dead and buried and the cultural 20s are here, then the covid19 pandemic is it. It’s amazing how I thought that life was changing rapidly even before covid19 really got out of hand.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/13/20 at 10:08 pm

If there any sign that the 2010s are dead and buried and the cultural 20s are here, then the covid19 pandemic is it. It’s amazing how I thought that life was changing rapidly even before covid19 really got out of hand.

This all does have an “oh, you thought the LAST decade was scary?” vibe to it.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/14/20 at 12:21 am

Exactly. Things like this actually make me more nostalgic of when we didn't have this pandemic, like last year.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/14/20 at 12:37 am

Cat
Already I am in self-isolation, it is scary for me.

Written By: temaichi on 03/14/20 at 12:42 am

Exactly. Things like this actually make me more nostalgic of when we didn't have this pandemic, like last year.  ;D

Never thought i would ever say this, but take me back to 2019. I am serious!! :(

Written By: Sman12 on 03/14/20 at 8:50 am

Never thought i would ever say this, but take me back to 2019. I am serious!! :(

I just hope the virus doesn't persist for the entire year. I heard that a team of Canadian scientists isolated strains of the virus and are now searching for treatments and vaccines, so that's a good sign.

Written By: StrangeShape on 03/14/20 at 11:53 am

:D I'm really trying to stay optimistic, man but it seems like this isn't slowing down anytime soon.

But eitherway, do you think coronavirus will make a drastic change in society and the world when it ends?  :-\\

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/14/20 at 12:16 pm

The fact that a person who contracted and then got over COVID-19 can get it again leads me to believe this will not “simply blow over” by the end of the year. This could end up being an annual thing, meaning we must get this under control, in all developed nations.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/14/20 at 3:29 pm

:D I'm really trying to stay optimistic, man but it seems like this isn't slowing down anytime soon.

But eitherway, do you think coronavirus will make a drastic change in society and the world when it ends?  :-\\

Most likely. Schools are closed, country borders are locked (Denmark, Spain, and others), gathering bans, sports leagues and games postponed or cancelled, entertainment is at a standstill and other things.

Like with Pearl Harbor, WWII, JFK assassination, and 9/11, things won't be the same in the world now.

Written By: Howard on 03/14/20 at 4:22 pm

I just hope the virus doesn't persist for the entire year. I heard that a team of Canadian scientists isolated strains of the virus and are now searching for treatments and vaccines, so that's a good sign.

just find something cause it's getting out of hand.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/14/20 at 7:06 pm

More of a reason why Neil Howe and William Stauss’s Generational Theory, or “The Four Turnings”, have so much weight. If the 2010s were a generational mirror to the 1930s, then there is reason to believe that the 2020s are to be a generational mirror to the 1940s.

Written By: duenas8 on 03/15/20 at 1:09 pm

More of a reason why Neil Howe and William Stauss’s Generational Theory, or “The Four Turnings”, have so much weight. If the 2010s were a generational mirror to the 1930s, then there is reason to believe that the 2020s are to be a generational mirror to the 1940s.

Glad to see more people who are aware of that theory. The Crisis of the 2020s introduced in the book seems to be real

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/15/20 at 2:36 pm

I'm aware of their generational theory, it just happens to be gobbledigook.

Written By: youngbull316 on 03/15/20 at 6:36 pm

Exactly. The Crisis of the 2020s, like they predicted is gonna be so huge. Their generational theory makes the most sense to me, compared to the demographers who simply label generations by merely pop culture, birth year, and technology, but there is much more than that. Recently, I have been reading their books lately. You should check it out.

By the way, I really think that this coronavirus is not as big as people make it out to be, but the government and people in the higher-ups want to condition the masses for the New World Order and the Mark of the Beast, as prophesied in the book of Revelation.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/15/20 at 6:44 pm

LMFAOO literally.  ;D

Written By: Sman12 on 03/15/20 at 7:08 pm

Exactly. The Crisis of the 2020s, like they predicted is gonna be so huge. Their generational theory makes the most sense to me, compared to the demographers who simply label generations by merely pop culture, birth year, and technology, but there is much more than that. Recently, I have been reading their books lately. You should check it out.

By the way, I really think that this coronavirus is not as big as people make it out to be, but the government and people in the higher-ups want to condition the masses for the New World Order and the Mark of the Beast, as prophesied in the book of Revelation.

Italy was an afterthought three weeks ago when they had only 200 cases.

But now it has over 24,000 cases and 1,809 dead, according to Worldometer.

Dr. Fauci, the director of National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said that deaths in the US could be in the "millions" in a worst case scenario.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/15/20 at 9:13 pm

Hoo boy, did this post take a sharp left turn.

Written By: xenzue on 03/15/20 at 10:18 pm

This whole coronavirus pandemic is probably the event that will officially shut the door and end the 2010s. It's decade-defining and it's definitely one of the defining moments for Gen Z

Written By: xenzue on 03/15/20 at 10:36 pm

Like the terrors of the 2010s almost seems cartoonish compared with the apocalypse of today. School shootings, police brutality, and online addiction vs plagues, complete economic collapse, and catastrophic damage to the earth's climate. Hundreds of millions of people in Africa, the Middle East, and South Asia have food shortages because locusts, the west's hospital system has completely collapsed, our entire economic system is being questioned as billions of people see how fragile everything really is, and petro warfare 2.0. Not to mention that the world is expected to enter a recession by summer. I think a lot of our world will be unrecognizable by 2023.

The good that may come in 1-5 years:

- Automation will massively increase due to service jobs being unreliable and expensive to operate. The COVID-19 pandemic is motivating businesses to switch to a more automated work environment.
- UBI will become a serious topic as millions of working age people become unemployed due to automation.
- Working/Studying from home becomes normalized.
- The world collectively becomes cleaner and more environmentally friendly.

Written By: imrane on 03/16/20 at 4:55 am

^Do you think most back office/business operations jobs will be automated? I hope huge open space offices stop being trendy (too many germs and stress!) and teleworking becomes the norm at corporations.

And anyone from the kitchen - what about arts and entertainment?

I feel it's high time I pursue my artistic dreams as even in the future singers (YouTube) and models will be needed (web banners). Not sure about thetre actors though. Is it bas timing?

The funny thing is back in 2013 people thought I was nuts for putting my scarf over my mouth and nose. Now it's sth completely normal along with face masks.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/16/20 at 8:35 am

As I am typing this, stock trading has been immediately halted and the DOW is down near 10% due to virus fears.  :(

Written By: Sman12 on 03/16/20 at 10:14 am

This whole coronavirus pandemic is probably the event that will officially shut the door and end the 2010s. It's decade-defining and it's definitely one of the defining moments for Gen Z

Oh yeah, the 2010s are pretty much done after this.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/16/20 at 1:00 pm

I feel like this coronavirus epidemic is already ending the cultural 2010's. I can't believe I'm even saying this, because just back in December I predicted 2020's culture wouldn't start until 2021. It just goes to show you that life is extremely unpredictable. December 2019 already seems like a while ago from a March 2020 perspective.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/16/20 at 1:04 pm

Certainly a change is occurring, literally not to go out only for essential reasons.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/16/20 at 1:24 pm

Certainly a change is occurring, literally not to go out only for essential reasons.

It feels like the walls are closing in on us. More restaurants are closed for in-person dining and only serve takeout and delivery.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/16/20 at 2:32 pm

I feel like this coronavirus epidemic is already ending the cultural 2010's. I can't believe I'm even saying this, because just back in December I predicted 2020's culture wouldn't start until 2021. It just goes to show you that life is extremely unpredictable. December 2019 already seems like a while ago from a March 2020 perspective.

I might as well go ahead and add on this, but even when it comes to pop cultural movies and TV shows, there were a lot that ended in 2019 as well. Such as Avengers: Endgame, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, Game Of Thrones Season 8 (Final Season), and a lot of other TV shows that have defined the 2010's are ending or have ended throughout 2019 and 2020 that I know for a fact. I'm definitely starting to feel a strong cultural shift now, and it's only going to continue to shift with this current election year going on. Damn it's getting more bizarre, so buckle your seat belts.  :o

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/16/20 at 3:14 pm

Like the terrors of the 2010s almost seems cartoonish compared with the apocalypse of today. School shootings, police brutality, and online addiction vs plagues, complete economic collapse, and catastrophic damage to the earth's climate. Hundreds of millions of people in Africa, the Middle East, and South Asia have food shortages because locusts, the west's hospital system has completely collapsed, our entire economic system is being questioned as billions of people see how fragile everything really is, and petro warfare 2.0. Not to mention that the world is expected to enter a recession by summer. I think a lot of our world will be unrecognizable by 2023.

The good that may come in 1-5 years:

- Automation will massively increase due to service jobs being unreliable and expensive to operate. The COVID-19 pandemic is motivating businesses to switch to a more automated work environment.
- UBI will become a serious topic as millions of working age people become unemployed due to automation.
- Working/Studying from home becomes normalized.
- The world collectively becomes cleaner and more environmentally friendly.

Xenxue, I strongly disagree with three of these points that you've raised, that I highlighted. Look, I understand that the fundamentals of the global economy are going towards automation and those trends may very well accelerate due to the public health concerns that have been revealed due to the Covid19 crisis, but that doesn't suggest that a fully automated world is inevitable. In fact, this was one of my biggest grievances with Andrew Yang's candidacy for President, Why should we actively expect this doomsday scenario 'where automation controls the flow of production'? It's a defeatist notion of progress. The question we should be asking is; How do we create the tools necessary that in case there is another pandemic, that we are prepared to fight it? It's not to ignore the risks, as in how I am in favor of also implementing a UBI system, but yes while it's quite clear that we are in a 'Fourth Industrial Revolution' we shouldn't position our response to this crisis as a singular notion of how the world will ultimately end up.

By succumbing to this logic, you fail to truly operate out of the neoliberal economic framework we have been operating on for close to 40 years, which is part of how we got this issue in the first place. This crisis is a major indictment on the philosophy of capitalism that has been spurned by those in the Libertarian and Neoliberal macroeconomic thought. We have seen, as evident with the chaos that has ensued with this crisis, that the system, when not regulated, is ultimately unstable. When you immediately concede how this crisis on humanity can be seen as what could be "The good that may come in 1-5 years", you fall victim to the economic context of 'mild reforms' that don't actually offer real substantive solutions to billions of people across the planet.

Climate change will get worse, as a result, because in this assured reality that your logic falls contrived to; you're no longer managing complex, intellectually curious, and sentient human beings that have thoughts and opinions (regardless of how drastic or logical/illogical). Instead, those in the 'managerial class' will now have autonomous machines, that happen to lack morals and values, by existing, in essence, to serve the corporations and their grip of power. People would become too complacent due to the 'convenience' of services offered by these companies, and they would, thus, be less reluctant to change when the economy is completely automized. That would be exactly the moment when reality really 'slaps people in face' as when sh!t hits the fan. "The point of no return".

We have record disparities within income inequality, levels that haven't been seen since the 'Gilded Age' of the Late 19th Century (and arguably, based on inflation, things are considerably worse). I suggest everybody to read this editorial from Salon:

https://www.salon.com/2020/03/15/late-stage-capitalism-primed-us-for-this-pandemic/

"Late-stage capitalism primed us for this pandemic"

"As the concentration of wealth accelerated and the income gap opened up to a canyon, the balance of political power tilted increasingly to the forces of capital, costing organized labor its leverage. Over that time the world was increasingly made safer for U.S. multinationals who successfully played labor markets off of each other as they captured the regulatory and taxation regimes of sovereign nations.Everything was measured and governed by what encouraged economic growth and the amassing of wealth. Other vital spheres, from the environment to the public health, became secondary to the private pursuit of profit. Consider how hard it was to overcome the entrenched interests of the tobacco industry to provide the public health warnings on cigarettes."

We can't just solely depend on implementing UBI and to just expect that 'things will magically turn around', there has to be an honest conversation on our economy at large. You don't get to that place by being reliant purely on UBI, and if anything that is what exactly stifles progress and what could ultimately destroy our species.

Written By: StrangeShape on 03/16/20 at 3:17 pm

Do you guys think people will remember the coronavirus as a major event in history like 9/11 and teach it in school and etc in the future?

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/16/20 at 3:20 pm

Do you guys think people will remember the coronavirus as a major event in history like 9/11 and teach it in school and etc in the future?

Yeah, I think it'll definitely be taught in history classes 10-15 years from now.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/16/20 at 3:57 pm

I might as well go ahead and add on this, but even when it comes to pop cultural movies and TV shows, there were a lot that ended in 2019 as well. Such as Avengers: Endgame, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, Game Of Thrones Season 8 (Final Season), and a lot of other TV shows that have defined the 2010's are ending or have ended throughout 2019 and 2020 that I know for a fact. I'm definitely starting to feel a strong cultural shift now, and it's only going to continue to shift with this current election year going on. Damn it's getting more bizarre, so buckle your seat belts.  :o

Even arguably Adventure Time’s end in 2018 factors into this. That’s the end of an era for a lot of kids whose childhoods would have been defined by that show.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/16/20 at 4:11 pm

Even arguably Adventure Time’s end in 2018 factors into this. That’s the end of an era for a lot of kids whose childhoods would have been defined by that show.

There's an argument to be made that WAY MORE so-called 'iconic' 2010s television shows ended in 2018, rather than 2019. 2018 in many ways was the end of the Core 2010s.

Written By: Catherine91UK on 03/16/20 at 4:17 pm

Yeah, I think it'll definitely be taught in history classes 10-15 years from now.

It might be commemorated like the 1918 flu pandemic, but I hope the disease itself doesn't cause so many deaths!

Written By: Sman12 on 03/16/20 at 4:33 pm

It's so bizarre, but you're right on life being unpredictable. No one could even predict Kobe's death back in January, so we just gotta live life to the fullest.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/16/20 at 4:48 pm

There's an argument to be made that WAY MORE so-called 'iconic' 2010s television shows ended in 2018, rather than 2019. 2018 in many ways was the end of the Core 2010s.

Do you have any other good examples? I admit TV hasn’t really been my strongest suit.

Written By: Howard on 03/17/20 at 7:36 am

It feels like the walls are closing in on us. More restaurants are closed for in-person dining and only serve takeout and delivery.

Time to eat at home.

Written By: Howard on 03/17/20 at 7:36 am

I think this is something to remember by.

Written By: That2004Kid on 03/17/20 at 6:16 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't people super depressed from the Recession that shortly preceeded NYE 2010?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/17/20 at 6:41 pm

Do you have any other good examples? I admit TV hasn’t really been my strongest suit.

I made an entire thread about The Changing Television Culture within the Trump Era in 2017:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56023.0

2017-2018 was rather transformative in the realm of television, with the end of many iconic Core 2010s shows and the start of new shows that would define the Late 2010s. Iconic 2010s shows that ended in 2018 that come off the top of my head include New Girl, Portlandia, Scandal, The Middle, and The Fosters, among others.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/17/20 at 11:35 pm

I made an entire thread about The Changing Television Culture within the Trump Era in 2017:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56023.0

In other news, Tom Brady just announced that he's leaving the New England Patriots after 20 years of being with the team, which is a HUGE shakeup in the NFL and the sports world in general.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/18/20 at 6:24 am

This is from the Wikipedia page of the 2020s:

https://i.ibb.co/vkf3NTr/Screenshot-20200317-224851-Chrome.jpg

Looks like that this is another decade-defining event with significant repercussions.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/18/20 at 8:38 am

Like the terrors of the 2010s almost seems cartoonish compared with the apocalypse of today.

Calling those events "almost cartoonish" is downplaying it too much.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/18/20 at 10:32 am

In other news, Tom Brady just announced that he's leaving the New England Patriots after 20 years of being with the team, which is a HUGE shakeup in the NFL and the sports world in general.

Yeah I heard about that too. It's crazy really. For as long as I've been watching Football, Tom Brady had been the QB for the almost-unstobbale force of the New England Patriots. The first Superbowl that I can recall was Super Bowl XXXVI, following the 9/11 attacks. New England beating the Rams (back when the team was based in St. Louis), 20-17. The Patriots had been a juggernaut team in sports ever since. As a NY Giants fan, I HATED THE PATRIOTS, but funny enough, I HATE THE EAGLES MORE. We were the Patriots' KRYPTONITE, and those cow-s**t eating Eagles took that AWAY from us ;D. But I digress, while I hated the Patriots, I always respected Tom, best of luck to him in the future.

Written By: youngbull316 on 03/18/20 at 2:58 pm

Yeah I heard about that too. It's crazy really. For as long as I've been watching Football, Tom Brady had been the QB for the almost-unstobbale force of the New England Patriots. The first Superbowl that I can recall was Super Bowl XXXVI, following the 9/11 attacks. New England beating the Rams (back when the team was based in St. Louis), 20-17. The Patriots had been a juggernaut team in sports ever since. As a NY Giants fan, I HATED THE PATRIOTS, but funny enough, I HATE THE EAGLES MORE. We were the Patriots' KRYPTONITE, and those cow-s**t eating Eagles took that AWAY from us ;D. But I digress, while I hated the Patriots, I always respected Tom, best of luck to him in the future.

Exactly.

Written By: youngbull316 on 03/18/20 at 3:00 pm

Never thought I'd see the day, I thought he was gonna retire. I'm pretty sure he signed with Tampa Bay now.

Written By: MikeyYankeeMan99 on 03/18/20 at 8:53 pm

I've never thought this decade would ever turn out as more chaotic than anything the 2010s came out with. This is just remarkably frightening as a lot of businesses and schools would be closed due to this pandemic. I remember thinking that nothing would be worse than the 2010s (well, aside from most events in history, but in terms of my life). But this, this makes me wonder if we're even gonna have a future nearby.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/18/20 at 9:26 pm

I've never thought this decade would ever turn out as more chaotic than anything the 2010s came out with. This is just remarkably frightening as a lot of businesses and schools would be closed due to this pandemic. I remember thinking that nothing would be worse than the 2010s (well, aside from most events in history, but in terms of my life). But this, this makes me wonder if we're even gonna have a future nearby.

I'm a fellow New Yorker born in 1999. What's up? (besides the chaos of the world lol) ;D

I'm also a huge Yankees fan 8).

Written By: Sman12 on 03/19/20 at 10:15 am

Well, we still got long ways to go before things are normal again, but I think people will be more cautious about their well-being and health after the virus slows down.

Written By: MikeyYankeeMan99 on 03/19/20 at 12:32 pm

I'm a fellow New Yorker born in 1999. What's up? (besides the chaos of the world lol) ;D

I'm also a huge Yankees fan 8).

I'm good. Aside from the coronavirus stuff.

Written By: Shemp97 on 03/19/20 at 3:16 pm

The era ended when Phineas and Ferb, a much bigger show, ended in 2015. I see many kids say that 2015 was a depressing year.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/19/20 at 3:29 pm

That's great to hear! O0

Which borough do you live in? I live in Brooklyn.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/19/20 at 4:17 pm

Nice to see you again dude! Yeah, it's been a tough couple weeks for all of us! Trying to get used to these classes being full online now!

Written By: Howard on 03/20/20 at 8:45 am

That's great to hear! O0

Which borough do you live in? I live in Brooklyn.

I live in Queens, New York.

Written By: Dundee on 03/20/20 at 8:54 am

Some experts call this pandemic the biggest global crisis since World War II.

The post-corona period is very uncertain at this point and severe repercussions are very likely. So yeah basically the 21st century would likely be split between pre-corona and post-corona down the line historically.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/20/20 at 4:19 pm

The post-corona period is very uncertain at this point and severe repercussions are very likely. So yeah basically the 21st century would likely be split between pre-corona and post-corona down the line historically.

Just like there was a pre-9/11 and post-9/11 world. Wow.  :\'(

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/21/20 at 9:56 am

Just like there was a pre-9/11 and post-9/11 world. Wow.  :\'(

I remember when 9/11 happened, and I looked back at the year 2000 and thinking it gave me a false sense of "this new millenium is off to an awesome start" as if it was always going to be that way. But later I just thought of it as a continuation of the late 90's.

In the 2020 case, it's like things literally went downhill from Day 1. We had a rough January with the Australian wildfires, the Iran situation, Kobe, and the beginning of COVID-19.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/21/20 at 10:32 am

I was thinking that too. If you look at the big picture of the entire century, the 2000's and 2010's might be seen as a continuation of the 20th Century, just like how the first few years of the 2000s were a continuation of the 1990's.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/21/20 at 10:50 am

I was thinking that too. If you look at the big picture of the entire century, the 2000's and 2010's might be seen as a continuation of the 20th Century, just like how the first few years of the 2000s were a continuation of the 1990's.

This is a very interesting point. Depending on how different the post-pandemic world looks, it could be that the cultural 21st Century didn't really arrive until 2020. While people here were quibbling over minutia like whether November 2016 was importantly culturally different than February 2016 because of some completely insignificant mumble rap song and the latest fake pop star, the BIG CHANGE was just waiting to happen to change EVERYTHING for real.  I always thought it would take something like a UFO landing on Earth, but here it is.  :o

Written By: mqg96 on 03/21/20 at 11:30 am

I remember when 9/11 happened, and I looked back at the year 2000 and thinking it gave me a false sense of "this new millenium is off to an awesome start" as if it was always going to be that way. But later I just thought of it as a continuation of the late 90's.

In the 2020 case, it's like things literally went downhill from Day 1. We had a rough January with the Australian wildfires, the Iran situation, Kobe, and the beginning of COVID-19.

You want to know what I was doing the first hour of New Years Day 2020? (Central Time Zone)

Walking down Bourbon Street in New Orleans, and we got trampled from a fight that went down on Bourbon Street and lost each other for about a good half hour, that's how the first hour of 2020 literally started for me, and that in a nutshell my friends is how 2020 has started for everybody.  ;D

But in all seriousness, you're right. The Australian wildfires, the start of COVID-19, Kobe's unexpected death along with his daughter and everyone else on the flight (most unexpected death since Michael Jackson for most ppl but the sports version), the WWIII scare due to what went down in Iran, and due to this COVID-19 global pandemic, the NCAA Basketball Tournament is cancelled, the NBA is suspended til further notice and unfortunately more NBA players have caught corona now, this goes along with MLB and many other sports being suspended or postponed as well. The Olympics might be cancelled now.

It's affecting industries and jobs. Everyone has to stay home or work from home now. Restaurants and major sites closing down (including Disney World, Disneyland, and Six Flags all over being closed down). TV shows & movies have to stop filming and postpone dates, which means episodes of TV shows and movie dates are postponed now as well. College Universities are forced to shutdown and go full online the rest of the semester which means students are forced out of their dorms the rest of the semester.

The stock market is going down. Just look at Italy and other countries suffering from COVID-19, this is major. I mean we are living in a real life bio apocalyptic movie right now. I can't believe this is real, but it's happening, and there are few states that are on mandatory quarantines (where everybody has to stay in their own homes and can't go out anywhere by law) and soon that might be this whole country.  :-\\

Thanks to this global pandemic, 2020 is officially an epic failure, and with this real ugly upcoming election which will most likely be Biden vs. Trump that's about to go down, it's going to be extremely hard for 2020 to recover now. This year literally crashed and burned from day 1. You also bring up a good point, we discuss about cultural decades, but how about cultural centuries? You say that this COVID-19 pandemic might be the start of the real cultural 21st century, but what do you believe started the cultural 20th century? Start of WWI? Roaring 20's?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/21/20 at 11:55 am

You want to know what I was doing the first hour of New Years Day 2020? (Central Time Zone)

Walking down Bourbon Street in New Orleans, and we got trampled from a fight that went down on Bourbon Street and lost each other for about a good half hour, that's how the first hour of 2020 literally started for me, and that in a nutshell my friends is how 2020 has started for everybody.  ;D

But in all seriousness, you're right. The Australian wildfires, the start of COVID-19, Kobe's unexpected death along with his daughter and everyone else on the flight (most unexpected death since Michael Jackson for most ppl but the sports version), the WWIII scare due to what went down in Iran, and due to this COVID-19 global pandemic, the NCAA Basketball Tournament is cancelled, the NBA is suspended til further notice and unfortunately more NBA players have caught corona now, this goes along with MLB and many other sports being suspended or postponed as well. The Olympics might be cancelled now.

It's affecting industries and jobs. Everyone has to stay home or work from home now. Restaurants and major sites closing down (including Disney World, Disneyland, and Six Flags all over being closed down). TV shows & movies have to stop filming and postpone dates, which means episodes of TV shows and movie dates are postponed now as well. College Universities are forced to shutdown and go full online the rest of the semester which means students are forced out of their dorms the rest of the semester.

The stock market is going down. Just look at Italy and other countries suffering from COVID-19, this is major. I mean we are living in a real life bio apocalyptic movie right now. I can't believe this is real, but it's happening, and there are few states that are on mandatory quarantines (where everybody has to stay in their own homes and can't go out anywhere by law) and soon that might be this whole country.  :-\\

Thanks to this global pandemic, 2020 is officially an epic failure, and with this real ugly upcoming election which will most likely be Biden vs. Trump that's about to go down, it's going to be extremely hard for 2020 to recover now. This year literally crashed and burned from day 1. You also bring up a good point, we discuss about cultural decades, but how about cultural centuries? You say that this COVID-19 pandemic might be the start of the real cultural 21st century, but what do you believe started the cultural 20th century? Start of WWI? Roaring 20's?

What about the deaths of Paul Walker, Robin Williams or Prince?

Written By: mqg96 on 03/21/20 at 12:03 pm

What about the deaths of Paul Walker, Robin Williams or Prince?

That's very true, thanks for bringing those deaths up. I should have included all of them actually and maybe more. I had Robin Williams in my mind too, for the animation industry that was gigantically unexpected.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/21/20 at 12:28 pm

You also bring up a good point, we discuss about cultural decades, but how about cultural centuries? You say that this COVID-19 pandemic might be the start of the real cultural 21st century, but what do you believe started the cultural 20th century? Start of WWI? Roaring 20's?

I might venture that the widespread use of electricity (which only really happened in about the early 1920s) started the cultural 20th Century.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/21/20 at 5:54 pm

I might venture that the widespread use of electricity (which only really happened in about the early 1920s) started the cultural 20th Century.

Also things like driving your car to work, flying on a plane for business, or watching movies at the cinema; might also become things of the past.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/21/20 at 6:41 pm

Also things like driving your car to work, flying on a plane for business, or watching movies at the cinema; might also become things of the past.

Watching movies in a theater was already headed for extinction. This crisis is possibly the tipping point for a lot of things that were already headed in a certain direction but may have taken longer under normal circumstances.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/21/20 at 7:29 pm

Watching movies in a theater was already headed for extinction. This crisis is possibly the tipping point for a lot of things that were already headed in a certain direction but may have taken longer under normal circumstances.

I have a feeling that theater companies such as AMC and Regal will start to offer at home streaming for new release films for around the price of a movie ticket.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/21/20 at 7:36 pm

I have a feeling that theater companies such as AMC and Regal will start to offer at home streaming for new release films for around the price of a movie ticket.

I don't think they can do that. The theaters don't own the movies (or the streaming rights), the movie companies do. It will be the movie companies that will stream first run new releases, as they have in fact started doing in this crisis. The theaters have to suffer the loss.

Written By: Howard on 03/22/20 at 7:48 am

How much would that cost?

Written By: Sman12 on 03/22/20 at 7:57 am

I don't think they can do that. The theaters don't own the movies (or the streaming rights), the movie companies do. It will be the movie companies that will stream first run new releases, as they have in fact started doing in this crisis. The theaters have to suffer the loss.

I'm not sure how theaters will survive post-pandemic if movie companies that release new blockbuster movies digitally becomes the norm. It's already happened with Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, and others.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/22/20 at 8:15 am

I'm not sure how theaters will survive post-pandemic if movie companies that release new blockbuster movies digitally becomes the norm. It's already happened with Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, and others.
That could and probably will happen, in the UK Sky Movies is a subscribed channel for an extra cost what would be new releases be screened digitally.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/22/20 at 8:25 am

That could and probably will happen, in the UK Sky Movies is a subscribed channel for an extra cost what would be new releases be screened digitally.

It looks like we're in a new era, then. Home theaters, telemedicine, transferring to online classes, digital conferences, etc. I won't be surprised if these services become more commonplace in our society after this.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/22/20 at 8:49 am

It looks like we're in a new era, then. Home theaters, telemedicine, transferring to online classes, digital conferences, etc. I won't be surprised if these services become more commonplace in our society after this.

It is likely too that the content or style of movies will change as well. Finally we will have less of the Marvel Superhero type movies (thankfully), which are geared more towards big screens and big sound systems in big theaters. Movies might become artier and more character driven, more ambiguous. Like the type of content Netflix and oher streaming services are already creating.

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/22/20 at 8:50 am

Just a few weeks ago we had a guy with the flu and they wouldn’t let him work from home. The company had been so dead set against anyone working from home or being there less than 8-5. Now they are doing reduced hours, split shifts, encouraging people to work from home if they can. I can’t because I don’t have good home internet available but they still need at least someone to plot drawings and work with the shop. So I could be that guy. I think after awhile it will go to the wayside. After all they re-allowed smoking despite the smoke free workplace law. But I think it will make for some equipment changes. For years we have wanted to install remote access so we could troubleshoot equipment without having to send guys on the road all the time. And they were so against that. Now they might embrace doing that.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/22/20 at 9:23 am

Just a few weeks ago we had a guy with the flu and they wouldn’t let him work from home. The company had been so dead set against anyone working from home or being there less than 8-5. Now they are doing reduced hours, split shifts, encouraging people to work from home if they can. I can’t because I don’t have good home internet available but they still need at least someone to plot drawings and work with the shop. So I could be that guy. I think after awhile it will go to the wayside. After all they re-allowed smoking despite the smoke free workplace law. But I think it will make for some equipment changes. For years we have wanted to install remote access so we could troubleshoot equipment without having to send guys on the road all the time. And they were so against that. Now they might embrace doing that.

Sounds like my company. They are so stuck 20 years behind in technology that they don't have the means to do a lot of things remotely, like printing and scanning. I don't know why they just don't send documents electronically, other than a security issue. So as Help Desk, the head of IT Department still wanted us to be physically at the office for support even though most people are now remote. I told HR that if we die from the virus, we can just be replaced.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/22/20 at 11:38 am

Sounds like my company. They are so stuck 20 years behind in technology that they don't have the means to do a lot of things remotely, like printing and scanning. I don't know why they just don't send documents electronically, other than a security issue. So as Help Desk, the head of IT Department still wanted us to be physically at the office for support even though most people are now remote. I told HR that if we die from the virus, we can just be replaced.

That must be difficult for you and your workmates. It astonishes me how your company didn't even upgrade to technological standards of today. Does the company even have a social media profile?  :o

Written By: Howard on 03/22/20 at 2:55 pm

From movie theaters shutting down to department stores, shopping (food and clothes) shutting down and going bankrupt, restaurants we're having everything or just about everything online where we will never have to go out and do it, we will order them from our home and have it delivered to our own house.

Check for new replies or respond here...