inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Things 2020 will be remembered for

Written By: 2001 on 01/04/20 at 12:21 am

- The Australian bush fires.
- The assassination of Qasem Suleimani, commander of Iran's Quds Force, in Baghdad by the American military
- The United Kingdom leaves the European Union (January 31)

What a start to the decade eh  :o

Previous editions: 2019, 2018

Subject: Re: Things 2020 will be remembered for

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/04/20 at 2:33 am

Didn't the Australian Bush Fires start at the beginning of last month?

Written By: Slim95 on 01/04/20 at 3:31 am

The assassination is a bigger deal than people think. That may very well have triggered World War 3.

#ThanksTrump

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/twitter-is-convinced-world-war-3-is-imminent-after-u-s-kills-iran-s-top-general-1.4752020
https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-50982073

Written By: Dundee on 01/04/20 at 5:20 am

No way this is gonna end up in WWIII, no country is dumb enough to play into Trump's mess.
Twitter is being silly as usual.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/04/20 at 7:44 am

Yeah, and they continue to scorch homes, forests and other buildings further down southeast.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/04/20 at 8:47 am

- The assassination of Qasem Suleimani, commander of Iran's Quds Force, in Baghdad by the American military

Indeed the Australian bush fires are tragic. 

Written By: 2001 on 01/04/20 at 10:21 am

Yep, and they carried over to and reached their peak (or have yet to reach their peak) this month

Written By: Sman12 on 01/04/20 at 11:45 am

I think natunal disasters are usually forgotten or become less vivid with time if they're not affecting people locally. Yet, human-caused ones like terrorist attacks or big political events are remembered more.

Sorry to say it, but I don't think many non-Aussies will remember the bush fires vividly by 2029, as tragic as it is. Also somehow tsunamies, sinking cities and devastating earthquakes often make a bigger impression ton people abroad than droughts or fires for some reason.

I disagree. Australia is experiencing some of the worst wildfires in its history. People had to evacuate their homes by sea because of the rapid and raging fires. There are even wildfires that are the size of Manhattan. The damage cost is going to be ASTOUNDING. :o

Written By: wixness on 01/04/20 at 11:54 am

Previous editions: 2019, 2018
Well, this is what happens if we give neoliberals and fascists more power. That's what the 2020s would be remembered for I reckon.

Written By: 2001 on 01/04/20 at 12:06 pm

I think natunal disasters are usually forgotten or become less vivid with time if they're not affecting people locally. Yet, human-caused ones like terrorist attacks or big political events are remembered more.

Sorry to say it, but I don't think many non-Aussies will remember the bush fires vividly by 2029, as tragic as it is. Also somehow tsunamies, sinking cities and devastating earthquakes often make a bigger impression ton people abroad than droughts or fires for some reason.

I think now that the #ClimateCrisis is a huge social media movement, it will take a longer time to be forgotten. People are still talking about the Amazon fires (which were caused by humans rather than climate change) even though they happened a while ago. I think we can also expect forest fires to happen more often too.

Written By: wixness on 01/04/20 at 6:46 pm

Putting money over people's lives and the environment.

Written By: wixness on 01/04/20 at 6:46 pm

I think now that the #ClimateCrisis is a huge social media movement, it will take a longer time to be forgotten. People are still talking about the Amazon fires (which were caused by humans rather than climate change) even though they happened a while ago. I think we can also expect forest fires to happen more often too.
I can thank Extinction Rebellion in part for helping attention to this to persist.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/07/20 at 8:18 am

Earthquake in Puerto Rico. This really has been an eventful first week of the new year/decade.

Written By: 2001 on 01/13/20 at 9:44 pm

* #Megxit
* Iran shooting down PS752 (Ukranian International Airlines Flight 752).

Less important ones:
* Japan switches its name order (in English). Starting in 2020, Japanese family names are written first, and personal names written last. E.g. Shinzo Abe is now Abe Shinzo.
* Carlos Ghosn and his escape from Japan to Lebanon.
* Sultan of Oman, Qaboos bin Saïd Al Saïd,  dies.
* Pro-independence candidate Tsai Ing-Wen is re-elected president of Taiwan, to China's ire.

Written By: 2001 on 01/26/20 at 4:56 pm

* Coronavirus spreading from Wuhan, China
* The tragic death of Kobe Bryant

I hope 2021 lets up because this year is already too cursed af  :-\\

Written By: imrane on 01/26/20 at 6:30 pm

I can' believe he's gone! Hopefully this is the type of year that starts bad but improves to become good in the second half like 2013. I prefer this type to starting good and then turning bad like 2001, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016.

Here some less important/local ones:
* A bad earthquake hit Turkey - 31 victims so far.
* A city of more than 125 000 has water running out and its dam now looks like a tiny river.

* A weird, once-in-several decades type road accident here. A guy was smashed between two trams. What's the chance of a multiple vehicle colision involving 4 trams?

Tram No. 1 had a tech issue and stopped for fixing near a tram stop. Trams No. 2 and 3 each were waiting for the issue to be fixed behind it.

The person driving tram No. 4 didn't stop and crashed right into tram No. 3 as she didn't have time to react (the tracks are in a curve with bad visibility but she claims she suddenly felt sick (gut feeling of sth bad happening?)). A passenger was just crossing the tracks between trams No. 2 and No. 3. and he's gone. They say he was texting while crossing but even if he wasn't the plave and time were wrong. The driver, other passengers and drivers were hurt but are OK.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/26/20 at 7:29 pm

There are always celebrity deaths every year. Coronavirus is the big thing they're talking about this month.

Written By: nally on 01/26/20 at 7:34 pm

There are always celebrity deaths every year. Coronavirus is the big thing they're talking about this month.

And this morning I heard that there were some recently discovered cases of it in California, from people who had traveled to and from Asia. :o

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/26/20 at 10:10 pm

And this morning I heard that there were some recently discovered cases of it in California, from people who had traveled to and from Asia. :o

I hope they can contain the illness! I don't want to see it around here.  :o

Written By: exodus08 on 01/26/20 at 10:37 pm

Just think we’re still in January and a lot has happened. I wonder what the rest of the year and decade have in store for us.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/26/20 at 10:53 pm

I was really hoping for 2020 to have a great start.  :-\\

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/26/20 at 11:37 pm

Gotta be honest, I had never heard of Kobe Bryant until yesterday. Basketball isn’t a big sport in the UK though.

Written By: imrane on 01/27/20 at 3:47 am

It's much fun to play compared to European football/socker imo.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/20 at 5:17 am

Would this be the worst virus than other past viruses?

Written By: Howard on 01/27/20 at 5:18 am

Just think we’re still in January and a lot has happened. I wonder what the rest of the year and decade have in store for us.

We'll just have to wait and find out.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/27/20 at 7:46 am

Well, in terms of sports and overall entertainment, Kobe's death is gonna be the big thing this month.

But in other news, the coronavirus is swift and deadly, so I do get your point on that.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/27/20 at 1:18 pm

Like any year you have to take the good with the bad.

I was really hoping for 2020 to have a great start.  :-\\

Just because the news mentions negative things doesn't mean good things aren't happening too.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/27/20 at 2:25 pm

Like any year you have to take the good with the bad.
Just because the news mentions negative things doesn't mean good things aren't happening too.

Well, of course. I wasn't trying to imply there were always bad things that happened thus far in 2020, but I'm really not impressed with most current events such as the coronavirus, peak US/Iran tensions, the Ukrainian airliner shootdown, the impeachment trial, and now Kobe's helicopter crash.

And pop culture right now is pretty much an extension of the late 2010s, so I wasn't really too excited about things anyway.

At least my family and friends are still alive, so that's one positive thing.

Written By: nally on 01/27/20 at 5:47 pm

I hope they can contain the illness! I don't want to see it around here.  :o

Agreed!

Written By: imrane on 01/27/20 at 5:47 pm

Sman12, makes .e think why not spend less time watching TV and being online and rather spend more time with peope in real life. It's those memories we have with them that matter. :)

Written By: Sman12 on 01/27/20 at 7:12 pm

Sman12, makes .e think why not spend less time watching TV and being online and rather spend more time with peope in real life. It's those memories we have with them that matter. :)

I'm glad I have you guys. You all honestly make me feel better with your optimism on things. It's just that after my late mom died and my stepmom becoming an insufferable jerk, I just feel more depressed than happy. I guess I'm just emotional. And don't worry, I have been into therapy sessions, but my stepmom and I are really in a strained relationship right now.  :-\\

Written By: violet_shy on 01/27/20 at 7:32 pm

Hm. Can't really say yet. Maybe around October?

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/28/20 at 12:07 am

It's much fun to play compared to European football/socker imo.

I liked playing basketball when I was younger funnily enough.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/20 at 2:58 am

Would this the worst virus than other past viruses?
Not report as the worse yet, the flu epidemic in 1918 millions suffered.

Written By: Howard on 01/28/20 at 7:25 am

It's always good to spend time with friends and family.  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/28/20 at 7:27 am

I liked playing basketball when I was younger funnily enough.

I remember the game Horse.

Written By: nally on 01/28/20 at 12:56 pm

I played that one in grade school. I think the first player to completely spell out "Horse" (that is, miss five total shots) loses?

Written By: Howard on 01/28/20 at 2:37 pm

I played that one in grade school. I think the first player to completely spell out "Horse" (that is, miss five total shots) loses?

Yes, that is exactly how the game is played.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/20 at 10:30 am

How was that game "Horse" played?

Written By: Howard on 01/30/20 at 7:15 am

How was that game "Horse" played?

https://jr.nba.com/how-to-play-horse/

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/30/20 at 9:50 am

https://jr.nba.com/how-to-play-horse/
Thank you, and I have never played it.

Written By: Howard on 01/30/20 at 1:55 pm

Thank you, and I have never played it.

I think it's more popular in The U.S.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/30/20 at 1:59 pm

Basketball is more popular in The U.S. too.

Written By: nally on 01/30/20 at 2:13 pm

Basketball is more popular in The U.S. too.

That's true, Horse is played on a basketball court, using only one hoop.

Written By: Howard on 01/30/20 at 2:15 pm

That's true, Horse is played on a basketball court, using only one hoop.

And if a person misses a shot, he spells out Horse.

Written By: nally on 01/30/20 at 2:18 pm

And if a person misses a shot, he spells out Horse.

That is, s/he gets a letter in the word. First miss gives them the letter H, second miss gives them O, etcetera.

Written By: nally on 01/30/20 at 2:18 pm

On topic, I think this year will be remembered for the Houston Astros Sign Stealing Scandal, which unfolded earlier this month. The Houston Astros (Major League Baseball) were accused of "stealing signs" (via use of technology) during the 2017 and 2018 seasons. This led to Alex Cora (who was on the Astros' coaching staff in 2017, the year they won it all; and became the Boston Red Sox' manager the following year) parting ways with the Boston Red Sox, after managing that team in 2018 (to a World Series title) and 2019 (failing to make the postseason). The Astros parted ways with general manager Jeff Luhnow and field manager AJ Hinch, both of whom were suspended for this entire year.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/30/20 at 2:25 pm

I was forced to play basketball when at school for I was tall for my age, but the school had no team to play competitively.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/03/20 at 10:55 am

Chiefs winning the Superbowl. The halftime show with Shakira and J-Lo, and the reaction (mainly by Boomer ladies).

Written By: Sman12 on 02/03/20 at 1:24 pm

Chiefs winning the Superbowl. The halftime show with Shakira and J-Lo, and the reaction (mainly by Boomer ladies).

It was a great Superbowl, and I love that after 30+ years, Reid finally gets the chip. I'm from Philly, and it was cathartic for me to see his Chiefs win.

Written By: SophieSandyOliver on 02/03/20 at 1:34 pm

A new president
The bushfires... I have cried countless times thinking of all the animals that perished so painfully in those fires.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/12/20 at 1:06 am

A new president
The bushfires... I have cried countless times thinking of all the animals that perished so painfully in those fires.

I hope they died from smoke inhalation rather than burning to death..  That would be awful.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/20 at 1:13 am

I fear for the animals too, and hope that no species become extinct in the natural habitat.

Written By: nally on 02/13/20 at 12:31 am

I fear for the animals too, and hope that no species become extinct in the natural habitat.

I agree 100 percent.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/13/20 at 3:51 am

A new president

Those poor koalas and kangaroos...  :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/20 at 4:50 am

Those poor koalas and kangaroos...  :\'(
The television footage looked horrific, distressing to watch. 

Written By: Elor on 02/20/20 at 6:02 am

11 people killed by a far right terrorist nut job in Germany... :\'(

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51567971

Written By: Sman12 on 02/20/20 at 6:54 am

My condolences go out to the victims' families. Too bad that there are those still out here that hate people because of things they can't control like race.

Written By: 2001 on 02/20/20 at 10:04 am

RIP. Those people had no idea that today would be their last. I hope Germany makes it through these trying times.  :\'(

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/21/20 at 8:50 pm

The controversy over Quaden Bayles.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/21/20 at 8:58 pm

The controversy over Quaden Bayles.

Just checked that story on my Twitter feed. People were debating on whether the kid was a 18-year-old guy posing as a 9-year old kid or not (turns out he's actually 9 and the reason for his bullying was due to his dwarfism). And wow, this story really is heartbreaking. I hope he knows that he has an global outpouring of support.

Written By: 2001 on 03/21/20 at 12:23 am

Coronavirus, coronavirus, coronavirus.

Written By: Dundee on 03/21/20 at 5:52 am

Written By: suoerflykid2008 on 03/21/20 at 8:10 am

Corona Virus followed by global economic and societal collapse i.e The Great Depression 2.0 or as some people on Twitter are suggesting it be called “The Big Sad”

Written By: Sman12 on 03/21/20 at 8:42 am

And the fact that a vaccine is probably gonna be out in the next 12-18 months shows us that we may have to deal with this pandemic a whole lot longer.  >:(

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/21/20 at 9:47 am

And the fact that a vaccine is probably gonna be out in the next 12-18 months shows us that we may have to deal with this pandemic a whole lot longer.  >:(

Sadly 2020 might still be a "good" year compared to the ones to follow. At least people were laughing at the Coronavirus memes in 2020. Not just the virus but the economic fallout as a result, and possible civil unrest. It could be as close to a post apocalyptic society as we've ever seen.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/21/20 at 12:07 pm

My 3rd cousin shooting himself in the head, in front of his wife and 9-year-old daughters.

Happened last night.

Always thought he was a real butt head.  Now I have one more reason to think so.  Now his kids have to live with that nonsense.  :\'(

Written By: Sman12 on 03/21/20 at 12:13 pm

My 3rd cousin shooting himself in the head, in front of his wife and 9-year-old daughters.

Happened last night.

Always thought he was a real butt head.  Now I have one more reason to think so.  Now his kids have to live with that nonsense.  :\'(

Oh, my. I'm sorry that you all had to go through with that.  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 03/21/20 at 3:56 pm

I think this will be discussed for many months to come.

Written By: Howard on 03/21/20 at 3:57 pm

Happened last night.

Sorry to hear that LB. :(

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/21/20 at 4:19 pm

Happened last night.

Sorry to hear that. There is too much going on right now!

Written By: goodbants on 03/21/20 at 11:25 pm

Well.. now this question has an obvious answer

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/21/20 at 11:36 pm

The peak of the 2018 to 2021 bridge.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/22/20 at 8:39 am

The peak of the 2018 to 2021 bridge.

Ooh, a bridge.  :)

Can you elaborate on that?

Written By: imrane on 03/22/20 at 8:59 am

Wearing surgical masks in public becoming common even in the West (they were a thing in Asia for a long time). This is a huge change in fashion and acceptance of them due to the Covid scare. I bet from now on we'll see them every flu season even after the whole coronavirus thing is over.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/22/20 at 9:08 am

Ooh, a bridge.  :)

Can you elaborate on that?

The very late 2010s were when we were getting to the very early 2020s. In the very early 2020s we will start to see the culture that began in 2018 go downhill.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/22/20 at 1:17 pm

Wearing surgical masks in public becoming common even in the West (they were a thing in Asia for a long time). This is a huge change in fashion and acceptance of them due to the Covid scare. I bet from now on we'll see them every flu season even after the whole coronavirus thing is over.

I want to get a face mask that has a chain mail decorative front piece.  8)

Written By: Sman12 on 03/22/20 at 1:24 pm

The very late 2010s were when we were getting to the very early 2020s. In the very early 2020s we will start to see the culture that began in 2018 go downhill.

Oh, I see. So things like trap music and VSCO/e-boy/e-girl culture will be part of it. Makes sense.

Written By: Howard on 03/22/20 at 2:47 pm

I think wearing surgical masks will wind up being a Halloween mask.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/04/20 at 9:02 am

All the Coronavirus related terms and phrases such as social distancing and flattening the curve. Also Tiger King, not directly Coronavirus related but everyone watched while in quarantine. It's like Birdbox in late 2018 with all the social media posts.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/04/20 at 9:28 am

All the Coronavirus related terms and phrases such as social distancing and flattening the curve. Also Tiger King, not directly Coronavirus related but everyone watched while in quarantine. It's like Birdbox in late 2018 with all the social media posts.
I cannot get into box sets, only friends, but thanks for reminding me, I still need to see Bird Box.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/04/20 at 9:43 am

Bird Box is such an overrated movie. It was an interesting concept for invisible monsters making people kill themselves but it was ruined by a contrived script.

I haven't seen Tiger King, but I heard a lot of hype for it. So I'll watch it soon.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/04/20 at 9:48 am

Bird Box is such an overrated movie. It was an interesting concept for invisible monsters making people kill themselves but it was ruined by a contrived script.
I guess then "A Quiet Place" is far superior?

Written By: Sman12 on 04/04/20 at 10:00 am

I guess then "A Quiet Place" is far superior?

Haven't seen that yet either.  ;D

But it looks more interesting.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/04/20 at 10:18 am

Haven't seen that yet either.  ;D

But it looks more interesting.
It is, and received an nomination for an Academy Award for Best Sound Editing at the 91st Academy Awards.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/21/20 at 2:36 pm

Also Coronavirus related but the protests to reopen America. Also the 5G towers scare.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/21/20 at 3:07 pm

Also Coronavirus related but the protests to reopen America. Also the 5G towers scare.
The 5G Towers is completely fake news.

Written By: 2001 on 04/21/20 at 4:53 pm

The 5G Towers is completely fake news.

When my school implemented Wifi in 2005 a lot of parents kept their kids away from school and picketed outside the building with signs like "WiFi causes cancer". And now 5G is supposed to cause COVID-19. It reminded me of that ;D

Written By: Sman12 on 04/21/20 at 10:37 pm

When my school implemented Wifi in 2005 a lot of parents kept their kids away from school and picketed outside the building with signs like "WiFi causes cancer". And now 5G is supposed to cause COVID-19. It reminded me of that ;D

Unfortunately, some things don't change.

Written By: KatanaChick on 04/23/20 at 1:01 am

I think wearing surgical masks will wind up being a Halloween mask.

I don't think there'll be a Halloween, that's not social distancing!  :D :o

Written By: Howard on 04/23/20 at 7:43 am

Can you do it over the phone?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/20 at 9:14 am

Can you do it over the phone?
How about Zoom?

Written By: Sman12 on 04/23/20 at 10:47 am

How about Zoom?

Zoom's been getting a lot of heat lately, especially with their lack of security features (until the 5.0 update, apparently). I think Google Meet's more safer.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/20 at 11:20 am

Zoom's been getting a lot of heat lately, especially with their lack of security features (until the 5.0 update, apparently). I think Google Meet's more safer.
I believe it is all down to the participants have a shared password, the report of hackers breaking into conferences were non-password access.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/23/20 at 11:29 am

I believe it is all down to the participants have a shared password, the report of hackers breaking into conferences were non-password access.

Well, the 5.0 update is an improvement of their encryption standards, making call data more resistant to be intercepted, hacked or routed to countries like China. But I'm still skeptical.  :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/20 at 11:59 am

Well, the 5.0 update is an improvement of their encryption standards, making call data more resistant to be intercepted, hacked or routed to countries like China. But I'm still skeptical.  :(
Hopefully all will be back to normal soon?

Written By: Howard on 04/23/20 at 1:54 pm

Is that available for Firefox?

Written By: Slim95 on 04/23/20 at 2:13 pm

The importance of online communication has really increased significantly because of the pandemic. We've always had it but it feels more "essential" now as all services are relying on the internet to keep their businesses running.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/20 at 2:15 pm

The importance of online communication has really increased significantly because of the pandemic. We've always had it but it feels more "essential" now as all services are relying on the internet to keep their businesses running.
i.e. shops closing their doors to customers but continuing online or forming a delivery service for their goods.

Written By: Howard on 04/23/20 at 2:19 pm

i.e. shops closing their doors to customers but continuing online or forming a delivery service for their goods.

Such as food and groceries is another way you can get stuff delivered to your door.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/20 at 2:22 pm

Such as food and groceries is another way you can get stuff delivered to your door.
The food stores are still open, but have queuing outside and a limited number of customers inside.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/24/20 at 7:49 am

No doubt. We're actually lucky that we now live in an era with modern technology and have instant internet access to news, communication, and research. We need it more than ever.

Written By: Dundee on 05/01/20 at 8:59 pm

2020 will remembered as a year equivalent to having multiple bleeding hemorrhoids and constipation at once.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/02/20 at 12:35 pm

2020 will remembered as a year equivalent to having multiple bleeding hemorrhoids and constipation at once.

Well, that's certainly a graphic comparison.    :o

But I think we should keep hoping for the best in a dark time like this.  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/02/20 at 1:26 pm

Soon to be followed by ‘Rhoid Rage.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/02/20 at 3:31 pm

That's what people said about 2016 and that was one of my favourite years of the decade... Although saying that for 2016 was a little ridiculous because the only reason people hated it was because celebrities who were already aging were dying (oh and Trump got elected, big whoop). Well this year much more people including regular people are dying so it's at least more understandable. But I like 2020 regardless, good year for my personal life.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/02/20 at 3:33 pm

One of best memes I've seen, the caption reads "If 2020 was a Spades hand" and in the picture of the hand there are no spades ♠ and nothing higher than a jack.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/03/20 at 8:26 am

One of best memes I've seen, the caption reads "If 2020 was a Spades hand" and in the picture of the hand there are no spades ♠ and nothing higher than a jack.

Lol. I just saw that on Google images.  ;D

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/06/20 at 5:47 am

Murder hornets

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/20 at 5:49 am

Murder hornets
There is an influx of dangerous Insects?

Written By: Sman12 on 05/06/20 at 9:44 am

There is an influx of dangerous Insects?

Yeah, there were two confirmed sightings of them in the U.S. Pacific Northwest. They could decimate bee populations and are potentially more deadly than bees.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/20 at 9:59 am

Yeah, there were two confirmed sightings of them in the U.S. Pacific Northwest. They could decimate bee populations and are potentially more deadly than bees.
Hopefully the Atlantic Ocean will be a long distance for them to fly over?

Written By: Sman12 on 05/06/20 at 11:19 am

Hopefully the Atlantic Ocean will be a long distance for them to fly over?

Who knows? They came from Asia (somehow) and apparently they're now in the U.S.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/20 at 12:09 pm

Who knows? They came from Asia (somehow) and apparently they're now in the U.S.
I have a feeling trapped in cargo in transportation.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/14/20 at 5:04 pm

- The shooting death of Ahmaud Aubrey and the #irunwithmaud movement on his birthday (it was especially big news in Georgia)
- ObamaGate

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/20 at 5:08 pm

Murder hornets
A presenter on radio today, mentioned about these new hornets, I hope they stay away.

Written By: Howard on 05/15/20 at 7:48 am

A presenter on radio today, mentioned about these new hornets, I hope they stay away.

Where were they located?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/20 at 5:22 am

Where were they located?
Not yet in the UK, but elsewhere

Written By: Sman12 on 05/27/20 at 4:04 pm

*Historic SpaceX Dragon spaceflight postponed to May 30th due to inclement weather.

*Minneapolis black man George Floyd is killed by a police officer kneeing his neck for far too long, and he isn't resisting arrest. This sparks major outrage.

*Amy Cooper, who didn't put her dog on a leash in Central Park as she violated that rule, called the cops on a black man, who correctly reprimanded her, for being black.

This is America in 2020 so far.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/28/20 at 10:02 am

The looting at Target in Minneapolis.

I lowkey feel like the world is coming to an end.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/28/20 at 10:27 am

2020 is depressing to me as well. There are worse years in history, but this is probably the most tragic year that I've ever personally witnessed.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/28/20 at 11:45 am

2020 is depressing to me as well. There are worse years in history, but this is probably the most tragic year that I've ever personally witnessed.

I’m way more mad about the fact that people are literally justifying this violent protest. It’s one thing to be angry about the killing of George Floyd. It’s another to literally put other people’s lives at risk and destroy a store. This will only make it even worse for black people in the future. Two wrongs don’t make a right.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/28/20 at 12:16 pm

I’m way more mad about the fact that people are literally justifying this violent protest. It’s one thing to be angry about the killing of George Floyd. It’s another to literally put other people’s lives at risk and destroy a store. This will only make it even worse for black people in the future. Two wrongs don’t make a right.

Amen. This whole situation is just disgusting. Floyd probably wouldn't want these riots. These riots don't serve justice, they serve destruction.

Written By: Howard on 05/28/20 at 2:30 pm

Same here, 2020 is supposed to be a year of vision and looking towards the future, it's been going down a bad path. :(

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/28/20 at 8:42 pm

Regarding the George Floyd incident, if you think about it it's an indirect effect of the Coronavirus. He lost his job during the pandemic amid the mass job losses. All he did was use a counterfeit 20 dollar bill which ended up with the police officer choking him to death with his knee. Of course I don't condone the riots and looting, but I'm for peaceful protests. He deserves justice and the officer deserves to be charged with murder. We are seeing a second wave of the BLM movement, only this time whites and people of other races are involved on social media and protests. As we mentioned, the aftermath of the Coronavirus such as economic downturn, people learning to regather after being in quarantine, and just overall being on edge, it's not going to be pretty.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/20 at 6:36 am

In response to this, I understand someone has had his Twitter message censored?

Written By: Howard on 05/29/20 at 7:47 am

Armhad Arbery

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/29/20 at 7:58 am

Armhad Arbery

And Breonna Taylor.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/29/20 at 9:41 am

As America reopens, we now have another crisis: police brutality.

2020 should have its own history book at this point.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/29/20 at 11:13 am

Also yesterday, Trump signed an Executive Order on Section 230 to regulate censorship on social media companies like Twitter, but the piece of legislation is important for the Internet so that the online providers should not be found liable for what individuals say on their platforms.

The ramifications of this could be dangerous for any tech company, because they could get sued for what that person said.  >:(

Written By: Howard on 05/29/20 at 1:40 pm

As America reopens, we now have another crisis: police brutality.

2020 should have its own history book at this point.

With a whole load of pages.  :o

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/29/20 at 9:06 pm

It seems like the protests now are making the Coronavirus seem like old news. It's like they are not worried about that anymore, although some of the protesters are wearing masks.

Written By: 2001 on 05/29/20 at 9:10 pm

It seems like the protests now are making the Coronavirus seem like old news. It's like they are not worried about that anymore, although some of the protesters are wearing masks.

The virus doesn't appear to be as virulent in the summer. My uneducated guess is that a lot of otherwise asymptomatic people are also simultaneously inflicted with the common cold, which makes them sneeze and spread the disease in the winter but wouldn't in the summer.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/29/20 at 9:25 pm

I'm not happy with what I'm witnessing right now. Now the rioting over the George Floyd situation has spread nationwide and it's going on in Atlanta too (MY HOME), and I'm sickened by what I'm seeing.  :-\\  I know the riots have spread nationwide to multiple locations outside of Minneapolis and not just Atlanta too, but this feels more personal to me because I'm straight from Atlanta seeing this on my local news and it's very real. Oh, and Trump's attitude in response to this horrible choke to death murder has been unacceptable on soo many levels, but that's Trump as always.  ::)

Written By: Slim95 on 05/29/20 at 9:28 pm

I think 2020 will also be remembered for the Australian Wildfires that occurred in January of this year.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/29/20 at 9:30 pm

I'm not happy with what I'm witnessing right now. Now the rioting over the George Floyd situation has spread nationwide and it's going on in Atlanta too (MY HOME), and I'm sickened by what I'm seeing.  :-\\  I know the riots have spread nationwide to multiple locations outside of Minneapolis and not just Atlanta too, but this feels more personal to me because I'm straight from Atlanta seeing this on my local news and it's very real. Oh, and Trump's attitude in response to this horrible choke to death murder has been unacceptable on soo many levels, but that's Trump as always.  ::)

Atlanta is my home too, and I'm disappointed because I know we're better than that.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/29/20 at 10:49 pm

I think there's supposed to be a protest in Philadelphia tomorrow and honestly I'm scared. I was born in Philadelphia and I go to Philadelphia. I can't imagine how it'll be.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/29/20 at 10:51 pm

Jesus now I already want to go back to when coronavirus was the only big news.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 05/30/20 at 4:00 am

Atlanta is my home too, and I'm disappointed because I know we're better than that.

There's other ways to deal with things besides stopping a guy from breathing by just sitting on his neck.  ::)

Written By: Sman12 on 05/30/20 at 9:30 am

Jesus now I already want to go back to when coronavirus was the only big news.  :-\\

I never thought I'd see the day in 2020 that there's a main story that overshadowed COVID-19 in America, but here we are.

I think there's supposed to be a protest in Philadelphia tomorrow and honestly I'm scared. I was born in Philadelphia and I go to Philadelphia. I can't imagine how it'll be.

I live near Philly, and I HOPE there aren't any hooligans mingling with peaceful protestors.  :(

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/30/20 at 9:37 am

And then there will be the next tragic event that will make us want to go back to this, and the Coronavirus outbreak in March made us want to go back to mourning the loss of Kobe.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/30/20 at 9:39 am

And then there will be the next tragic event that will make us want to go back to this, and the Coronavirus outbreak in March made us want to go back to mourning the loss of Kobe.

Tragedies upon tragedies: 2020 in a nutshell.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/30/20 at 3:06 pm

A gleam of hope in a dark time. America and the world is now in a new era. SpaceX and NASA just made private spaceflight possible. Here are some pictures I've taken of the Dragon launching.

May 30, 2020 - American spaceflight is back.

https://i.ibb.co/cyRccQP/20200530-154845.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/XDtwYtD/20200530-152530.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/1T9yVzQ/20200530-153703.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/mHtFssF/20200530-153541.jpg

Written By: Slim95 on 05/30/20 at 3:06 pm

I also think 2020 will be remembered for the election happening later this year. As well as the peace plan Donald Trump announce in January for the nation of Israel. A lot of things happened this year.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/31/20 at 7:04 am

A gleam of hope in a dark time. America and the world is now in a new era. SpaceX and NASA just made private spaceflight possible. Here are some pictures I've taken of the Dragon launching.

May 30, 2020 - American spaceflight is back.

https://i.ibb.co/cyRccQP/20200530-154845.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/XDtwYtD/20200530-152530.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/1T9yVzQ/20200530-153703.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/mHtFssF/20200530-153541.jpg

Yeah, it's nice to see something positive for a change. Although I saw a lot of people posting the memes that said it was a good choice to leave Earth, lol.

I also think 2020 will be remembered for the election happening later this year. As well as the peace plan Donald Trump announce in January for the nation of Israel. A lot of things happened this year.

That's why some consider Trump to be the most Christian president in the entire history of the United States, because of that and his firm stance against abortion.

Written By: Howard on 05/31/20 at 3:46 pm

There's always something going on.

Written By: Howard on 05/31/20 at 3:46 pm

Tragedies upon tragedies: 2020 in a nutshell.

What do you think 2020 will turn out to be?

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/26/20 at 8:31 pm

Update: so much more craziness since the end of May. Here's what to add:

- Seattle CHAZ zone
- Portland protests
- Riots
- Lebanon bombing
- California fires
- Hurricane Laura
- Kenosha, WI shooting incident
- Biden/Harris

I feel like I'm still forgetting something.

Written By: Howard on 08/27/20 at 7:53 am

Update: so much more craziness since the end of May. Here's what to add:

- Seattle CHAZ zone
- Portland protests
- Riots
- Lebanon bombing
- California fires
- Hurricane Laura
- Kenosha, WI shooting incident
- Biden/Harris

I feel like I'm still forgetting something.

The shooting of another black man.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/11/20 at 7:31 am

Look at the scenes from San Francisco with the orange sky. Looks very apocalyptic.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/09/us/california-wildfire-photos.html

Looks like California is going through what Australia went through earlier this year, during their summer.

Written By: Sman12 on 09/11/20 at 10:27 am

Look at the scenes from San Francisco with the orange sky. Looks very apocalyptic.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/09/us/california-wildfire-photos.html

Looks like California is going through what Australia went through earlier this year, during their summer.

The fires on the West Coast are insane. 10% of Oregon's population had to evacuate, and the Sacramento wildfire is now the largest fire in California's history. California, Washington State, and Oregon may never be the same again.  :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/11/20 at 10:29 am

The fires on the West Coast are insane. 10% of Oregon's population had to evacuate, and the Sacramento wildfire is now the largest fire in California's history. California, Washington State, and Oregon may never be the same again.  :\'(
The orange sky looks awful.

Written By: Howard on 09/17/20 at 2:26 pm

Hurricane Sally

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 09/18/20 at 10:31 pm

Coronavirus.

Written By: Howard on 09/19/20 at 4:01 am

death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/20 at 11:29 am

Coronavirus.
Being stuck indoors, being safe.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/22/20 at 12:08 am

Dx1o4p6XB8M

Well, this was just amazing.  Not only has Schitt's Creek ended it's run earlier this year and it's surprising that they won all of these awards.  It's coming to My TV Buffalo next week. 
I'm hopeful that there's going to be a Schitt's Creek movie sometime in the future.  Mostly because Ms. Robinson there needs a job.  LOL!
:) :) :) :) :)

These are all of the awards that Schitt's Creek won the day before last.

Outstanding Lead Actress In A Comedy Series: Catherine O'Hara
Outstanding Lead Actor In A Comedy Series: Eugene Levy
Outstanding Supporting-Actress In A Comedy Series: Annie Murphy
Outstanding Supporting-Actor In A Comedy Series: Daniel Levy
Contemporary Costume Design
Outstanding Casting
Outstanding Writing For A Comedy Series
Outstanding Directing For A Comedy Series: Andrew Cividino and Daniel Levy-Happy Ending
Outstanding Comedy Series

Written By: CarCar on 09/22/20 at 3:12 am

Doja Cat

Roddy Rich

Megan Thee Stallion

DaBaby

Fifth Harmony members solo careers(2020s Spice Girls except theres rumors they didn’t like eachother)

The Boys series on Amazon Prime

Netflix original series Outer Banks

Zendaya becomes the youngest Emmy Winner at 24

Coronavirus effects the general culture

Cuties becomes a Netflix controversy

Tik Tok gets banned in the US

Phase 4 of the Marvel cinematic universe

Xbox series S and X vs PS5

Día Lipa

The Weekend

This is all that’s coming to my head right now

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/28/20 at 1:45 pm

Doja Cat

Roddy Rich

Megan Thee Stallion

DaBaby

Fifth Harmony members solo careers(2020s Spice Girls except theres rumors they didn’t like eachother)

The Boys series on Amazon Prime

Netflix original series Outer Banks

Zendaya becomes the youngest Emmy Winner at 24

Coronavirus effects the general culture

Cuties becomes a Netflix controversy

Tik Tok gets banned in the US

Phase 4 of the Marvel cinematic universe

Xbox series S and X vs PS5

Día Lipa

The Weekend

This is all that’s coming to my head right now

For TV/Web series there's also Ratched, Raised by Wolves, Away, and Big Sky. In addition to music, this year has been decent for series.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/09/20 at 4:14 pm

Among Us memes

Written By: Sman12 on 10/11/20 at 4:04 pm

Among Us memes

That, and Fall Guys (it fell off hard when Among Us hit peak popularity in the middle of last month).

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/12/20 at 3:23 am

Being stuck indoors, being safe.
The thread of a second lockdown.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 10/15/20 at 2:29 am

The Bad Things 2020 will be highlighted for in History class:
-COVID-19 becoming a global threat
-Lockdowns, Social Distancing, Masks
-Economic Collapse
-US/Iran Tensions
-Australia and California Wildfires
-Kobe Bryant and Chadwick's death
-Taal Volcano Eruption
-Hurricane Laura
-Lebanon Explosions

Now for the good things that are hidden:
-Megan Thee Stallion's breakthrough
-Doja Cat becoming a pop culture phenomenon
-Roddy Ricch and DaBaby's solidified popularities
-BTS and Blackpink
-Harry Styles' Great New Album
-Among Us and Fall Guys (Fall Guys somehow became the equivalent of Pokemon Go)
-PS5 And Xbox Series X reveal
-SpaceX

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/15/20 at 2:58 am

The Bad Things 2020 will be highlighted for in History class:
-COVID-19 becoming a global threat
-Lockdowns, Social Distancing, Masks
-Economic Collapse
-US/Iran Tensions
-Australia and California Wildfires
-Kobe Bryant and Chadwick's death
-Taal Volcano Eruption
-Hurricane Laura
-Lebanon Explosions

Now for the good things that are hidden:
-Megan Thee Stallion's breakthrough
-Doja Cat becoming a pop culture phenomenon
-Roddy Ricch and DaBaby's solidified popularities
-BTS and Blackpink
-Harry Styles' Great New Album
-Among Us and Fall Guys (Fall Guys somehow became the equivalent of Pokemon Go)
-PS5 And Xbox Series X reveal
-SpaceX
Shame that Harry Styles has not made any films since "Dunkirk" (2017).

Written By: Howard on 10/15/20 at 7:47 am

Kamala Harris

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/21/20 at 8:30 pm

Cobra Kai. Even though it's technically from 2018 it became popular this year when it moved to Netflix. It really captures the 80's nostalgia and also the Gen X meets Gen Z cultural interaction.

Written By: Howard on 11/25/20 at 2:54 pm

numerous deaths.

Written By: violet_shy on 11/25/20 at 3:24 pm

Zoom

Written By: Sman12 on 11/26/20 at 8:27 pm

As we are about to enter the final month of 2020, here are my memorable picks so far:

Popular artists:
Roddy Ricch, Megan Thee Stallion, DaBaby,  BTS, Doja Cat, 24kGoldn, iann dior, Dua Lipa, The Weeknd, Ariana Grande, Cardi B, Billie Eilish, Harry Styles, Drake, Lil Baby, Travis Scott

Technology:
PS5, Xbox Series X, TikTok, Zoom, iPhone 12 line, Galaxy S20 line, Galaxy Z Fold 2

Video games:
Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Cyberpunk 2077, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Doom Eternal, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, The Last of Us Part II, Ghost of Tsushima, Marvel's Avengers, Fall Guys, Among Us

Worldwide events:
Coronavirus (obviously), Australian wildfires, US-Iran Crisis, Kobe Bryant's death (along with the deaths of RBG, Alex Trebek, Chadwick Boseman, etc), deaths of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor spark worldwide racial unrest, 2020 U.S. election, Harry and Meghan split from the royals,
Trump acquitted in impeachment trial, UK leaves the EU, Beirut explosion, murder hornets

Popular movies:
Tenet, Antebellum, Bill and Ted Face the Music, Scoob!, The Social Dilemma, Wonder Woman 1984, Soul, The King of Staten Island, Mulan, The New Mutants

Popular TV shows:
Tiger King, The Mandalorian (season 2), The Crown (season 4), The Queen's Gambit, I Am Not Okay With This

Written By: violet_shy on 11/26/20 at 8:32 pm

Face masks.

Written By: Howard on 11/27/20 at 8:08 am

Face masks.

Oh Yes definitely.

Written By: Sman12 on 11/28/20 at 1:16 pm

Face masks.

I wouldn't be surprised if face masks become a fashion norm for years.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/28/20 at 1:26 pm

I've actually ben saying for YEARS that it would probably be a good idea if people wore face masks here the way they do in some Asian countries to prevent the spread of airborne contagious illnesses. Especially on crowded public transportation and the like. Wouldn't it be funny if it finally caught on because of FASHION.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/28/20 at 2:21 pm

I've actually ben saying for YEARS that it would probably be a good idea if people wore face masks here the way they do in some Asian countries to prevent the spread of airborne contagious illnesses. Especially on crowded public transportation and the like. Wouldn't it be funny if it finally caught on because of FASHION.

Unfortunately for America wearing a mask (or refusing to wear one) has become such a political statement and they sure won't care how to Asian countries do. Trying to get them to wear masks is like trying to get Donnie Brasco to take off his shoes in the Japanese restaurant scene.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/28/20 at 2:26 pm

Unfortunately for America wearing a mask (or refusing to wear one) has become such a political statement and they sure won't care how to Asian countries do. Trying to get them to wear masks is like trying to get Donnie Brasco to take off his shoes in the Japanese restaurant scene.

That's why I wished it had happened years ago when people would have thought it was their own choice rather than something they were being "forced" to do. Imagine if it had been a "trend", it would have caught on like wildfire rather than people thinking some imaginary "freedoms" were being taken away.

Written By: Howard on 11/29/20 at 7:26 am

You'll be seeing them down the runway.

Written By: Howard on 11/29/20 at 7:27 am

You got that right.

Written By: Howard on 11/29/20 at 7:29 am

And also giving fines to people who refuse to wear one.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/02/20 at 9:10 am

The mysterious monolith sightings like in 2001: A Space Odyssey. Probably (and hopefully) just set up by obsessed fans of that movie.

Written By: Howard on 12/02/20 at 1:36 pm

The countless number of times we saw Cuomo, Deblasio and Fauci on television.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/20 at 1:46 pm

The mysterious monolith sightings like in 2001: A Space Odyssey. Probably (and hopefully) just set up by obsessed fans of that movie.
I heard a brief report about that, where was it?

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/02/20 at 2:59 pm

I heard a brief report about that, where was it?

First Utah then Romania.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/20 at 3:04 pm

First Utah then Romania.
It got around,,, ?

Written By: Howard on 12/03/20 at 8:24 am

face masks

Written By: Lizardmatum on 12/04/20 at 11:44 am

What a terrible year... 2019 was epic for me! My life was getting really good but the minute the pandemic hit its like life was just put on hold. I hope we get out of this soon.

Written By: Howard on 12/04/20 at 2:13 pm

What a terrible year... 2019 was epic for me! My life was getting really good but the minute the pandemic hit its like life was just put on hold. I hope we get out of this soon.

I sure hope so Lizard, 2020 has been something.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/07/20 at 7:18 am

2019 was pretty laid-back and uneventful by comparison. It was just dull pop-culture wise especially musically except for Lizzo, Billie Eilish, Post Malone, and a few others In 2020 we at least had good music to listen to while quarantined. 2018 was even better. I'll take any part of 2017-2019 over 2020.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/13/20 at 7:55 am

Jingle Jangle. I just watched it last night and it's the best Christmas movie I've seen in awhile.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/26/20 at 2:45 pm

An RV bombing in Nashville on Christmas Day.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/27/20 at 2:13 am

I'm really upset that I had to stop going to the Y for my exercise classes for this year. >:( I might go back sometime next year but I don't know when?

Written By: Elor on 12/27/20 at 3:40 am

I'm really upset that I had to stop going to the Y for my exercise classes for this year. >:( I might go back sometime next year but I don't know when?
Y = gym? ???

Written By: karen on 12/27/20 at 3:49 am

Y = gym? ???

Either YMCA or YWCA.

Written By: Howard on 12/27/20 at 7:55 am

Either YMCA or YWCA.

It's a recreation facility.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/28/20 at 3:58 pm

Y = gym? ???

YMCA is a fitness facility.  I would go there mostly for Aquafitness in the swimming pool and Yoga.  I hate that this pandemic took this away from me. >:(

Written By: Howard on 12/29/20 at 7:42 am

Zoom

Written By: Elor on 12/29/20 at 10:12 am

YMCA is a fitness facility.  I would go there mostly for Aquafitness in the swimming pool and Yoga.  I hate that this pandemic took this away from me. >:(
I only knew them from the infamous Village People song.  ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/29/20 at 10:36 am

I only knew them from the infamous Village People song.  ;D

YMCA stands for "Young Men's Christian Association" and YWCA is "Young Women's Christian Association". That was their origins although of course now they are totally non-sectarian.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/30/20 at 5:51 am

Twisted Tea cans. There was a viral video of a customer using one that he was about to purchase to hit another customer who used a racial slur in a convenience store.

Written By: karen on 12/30/20 at 12:42 pm

Are we taking bets on what the last great plot twist of 2020 will be?

My money is on something Godzilla related

Written By: Howard on 12/30/20 at 3:15 pm

Twisted Tea cans. There was a viral video of a customer using one that he was about to purchase to hit another customer who used a racial slur in a convenience store.

That is something that shouldn't be remembered for.  ::)

Written By: 2001 on 12/30/20 at 6:25 pm

Haha, I saw that video. Might redefine what it means to "catch the tea on that" ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/31/20 at 3:19 am

Dumb things Trump had spouted.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/31/20 at 4:15 am

Dumb things Trump had spouted.

He's still spouting stupid stuff insinuating that Joe Biden cheated.

Written By: Sman12 on 12/31/20 at 12:53 pm

For just being a total dumpster fire of a year.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/31/20 at 12:58 pm

The untimely passing of Dawn Wells.  :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/31/20 at 1:01 pm

YMCA stands for "Young Men's Christian Association" .... although of course now they are totally non-sectarian.

They have everything For young men to enjoy.
You can hang out with all the boys.
It's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A.
You can get yourself clean
You can have a good meal
You can do whatever you feel.

Somehow I don't think that the Village People were singing about sectarian activity.  ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 12/31/20 at 5:08 pm

I think 2020 will be remembered for Ellen becoming a Karen.

Written By: Howard on 01/01/21 at 3:25 pm

For just being a total dumpster fire of a year.

I agree with you.

Written By: Howard on 01/01/21 at 3:26 pm

or Karens in general.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/02/21 at 4:05 pm

or Karens in general.

Yes. Karens, masks, and hand sanitizers perfectly encompass the year 2020.

Written By: Elor on 01/02/21 at 4:21 pm

You forgot social distancing and excess mortality. :-X

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/02/21 at 4:34 pm

You forgot social distancing and excess mortality. :-X

And the toilet paper crisis.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/02/21 at 5:01 pm

Omg, I love how the two names rhyme 😂😂😂

Written By: karen on 01/02/21 at 5:11 pm

Omg, I love how the two names rhyme 😂😂😂

I think I can say with some authority that you pronounce one of those names weirdly if you think Karen and Ellen rhyme

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/02/21 at 5:46 pm

And the toilet paper crisis.

I'm so old that whenever someone says "toilet paper crisis" I still think of 1973!

https://priceonomics.com/the-great-toilet-paper-scare-of-1973/

Written By: Howard on 01/03/21 at 3:21 pm

And what a year that was.

Written By: Howard on 01/03/21 at 3:23 pm

I'm so old that whenever someone says "toilet paper crisis" I still think of 1973!

https://priceonomics.com/the-great-toilet-paper-scare-of-1973/

Did they actually run out of toilet paper in 1973? I can't imagine after finishing your Number 2 and not having TP.  :o

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/03/21 at 3:35 pm

Did they actually run out of toilet paper in 1973? I can't imagine after finishing your Number 2 and not having TP.  :o

Did you read the article in the link?

One thing I do remember about the paper shortage of 1973 is that albums, up until that point had often come packaged in elaborate gatefold sleeves with posters, lyric booklets,  and all kinds of fun things. Record companies started scaling back drastically and albums started being packaged in single sleeves without too many accoutrements. The oil shortage also affected the record industry (vinyl being a by-product of petroleum) and record companies started using recycled, old vinyl for new albums which resulted in bad sound and a lot of snap, crackle and pop.

Check for new replies or respond here...