inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will Emo Reverse its Decline, and See a Resurgence in the 2020s?

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/06/20 at 5:18 am

I think it will.  There is a piece of emo that appeals to quite a few people.  Not everybody's cup of tea, but it will probably come back - huge.

Subject: Re: Will Emo Reverse its Decline, and See a Resurgence in the 2020s?

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/06/20 at 6:42 am

I think it will.  There is a piece of emo that appeals to quite a few people.  Not everybody's cup of tea, but it will probably come back - huge.

Well I see that too, because of the E-Girls and E-Boys trend, as well as Alt/Indie Pop from Billie Eilish, and Emo Trap with acts like Juice WRLD and Trevor Daniel.

Honestly, I am not happy about this because pop culture right now is not that good, it's too dark and depressing for my taste.

Written By: mc98 on 01/06/20 at 8:26 am

Well I see that too, because of the E-Girls and E-Boys trend, as well as Alt/Indie Pop from Billie Eilish, and Emo Trap with acts like Juice WRLD and Trevor Daniel.

Honestly, I am not happy about this because pop culture right now is not that good, it's too dark and depressing for my taste.

You definitely won't like the mid-2000s with emo pop, crunk rap, and post-grunge. Every decade goes through a depressive era. The same thing about mid 90s with grunge and gangsta rap.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/06/20 at 10:23 am

Let's hope not...

Written By: wixness on 01/06/20 at 10:29 am

Hate that it's too gender conforming. I simply prefer the original emo that I see more regularly on Tumblr, which is far better. The scene kids on there are far more positive than a fandom for a TV show on the same website.

Written By: mc98 on 01/06/20 at 10:38 am

^ My god, all you ever talk about is gender-conforming stuff. Let people dress they want to dress ffs.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 01/06/20 at 11:46 am

Freakin' hope so.

^ My god, all you ever talk about is gender-conforming stuff. Let people dress they want to dress ffs.

Pretty sure what Riven meant was those other people weren't tolerating gender non-conforming emos.

Written By: 2001 on 01/06/20 at 12:08 pm

I like the e-boy/e-girl trend. I don't want emo to come back (no offence to anyone here). Been there, done that. I didn't sign up to live through the 2000s twice ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/06/20 at 1:19 pm

No, emo isn't going to come back (at least on a massive level) and I sure hope it doesn't come back :-X.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/06/20 at 1:21 pm

No, emo isn't going to come back (at least on a massive level) and I sure hope it doesn't come back :-X.

I never liked the emo scene either. Including the emo/punk/hardcore rock style of music throughout the 2000's that made my ears bleed. It was still a thing my first couple years of middle school but after that it faded away.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/06/20 at 1:26 pm

I was never into the emo scene but I am strangely nostalgic for it. I just immediately think of 2008.

Written By: 2001 on 01/06/20 at 2:04 pm

I never liked the emo scene either. Including the emo/punk/hardcore rock style of music throughout the 2000's that made my ears bleed. It was still a thing my first couple years of middle school but after that it faded away.

I am ashamed to say I enjoyed a lot of that emo music. Of course, I didn't think I was listening to emo, I was listening to "rock", but by the end of 2004 every rock song was invariably an emo song. ;D

By the late 2000s, I was more into Japanese rock and tried to dress like my favourite rock stars, and I invariably ended up looking emo. I want to stress I WAS NOT EMO.

mTdcxQZcQAE

My dad forced me to cut my hair twice. One was when Pokémon Diamond/Pearl came out (spring 2007). My dad said he would only buy me it if I cut my ridiculous hair. How could I say no to POKÉMON? I did it.  :D (too bad the game was trash)

The second time was involuntary. I think it was January or February 2009 (around my 16th birthday is all I remember). I was sick for a few days and not going to school, and my report card came in and it wasn't the greatest. My dad got really angry and fed up at looking at my face. After going to see the doctor, he took me to the barber to get my hair cut. That backfired on him. He cut it so short, everyone at school laughed at me (because it was a huge change). I didn't go to school for like a week.  :-[

But that was end of anything emo for me. I got into K-Pop instead LOL. I had long hair every now and then in the early-mid 2010s, but it wasn't 2000s style. It was more natural/wavy, I didn't use a hair straightener. I didn't wanna look like Justin Bieber.

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/06/20 at 2:33 pm

Emo rap dominated the mid-late 2010s. So I don't think it's going anywhere unfortunately.

Written By: temaichi on 01/06/20 at 3:38 pm

The fashion side is coming back. I see a lot of teenagers who grew up in the mid/late 2000s like myself wanting to express themselves through emo fashion since we never got to experience that era as teens. I also see them a lot on Tik Tok and Instagram. The Emo rock scene however is not making a comeback. Hip-Hop is the biggest genre in the world right now and there is so much diversity that comes with that genre as a whole. One of them is Emo rap and it is still popular on streaming sites and Soundcloud. Kids who look up to rappers such as Lil Peep, XXXTentacion and Juice WRLD will find inspiration and take that sub-genre to the next level with more guitar-driven beats and melodic singing.

An Emo rap artist may have coloured dreads, painted nails, ripped jeans, and wears a band shirt with tattoos covering their face that has an emotional meaning to them. With that being said, Emo will evolve through Hip-Hop and it may go mainstream once again.

Written By: wixness on 01/06/20 at 3:48 pm

I miss the sound and I don't like how inoffensive or just soulless-sounding songs in the 2010s sound. I'm not just talking about emo. Heck, I don't even like Sam Smith's and Adele's music even though their music is considered "good" - I just don't like the sort of melodies that people choose. It sounds forced and doesn't speak to me on an emotional level.

No, emo isn't going to come back (at least on a massive level) and I sure hope it doesn't come back :-X .

I think this is a highly realistic answer. This emo comeback thing I've only really seen on Tumblr.

Freakin' hope so.

Pretty sure what Riven meant was those other people weren't tolerating gender non-conforming emos.

I just prefer gender non-conformity, and to me, emo was one of the ways in achieving this rather easily.

Written By: 2001 on 01/06/20 at 4:40 pm

Hate that it's too gender conforming. I simply prefer the original emo that I see more regularly on Tumblr, which is far better. The scene kids on there are far more positive than a fandom for a TV show on the same website.

Which TV show is that?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/06/20 at 4:58 pm

I was never into the emo scene but I am strangely nostalgic for it. I just immediately think of 2008.

Same with me. I hated the emo scene as a kid. I can remember even making fun (not directly to his face though) of a young teen who lived across the road from my cousins for being an "emo kid". Now, however, I find myself listening to and liking songs by My Chemical Romance, Paramore and Panic at the Disco!, bands which I was never into at the time. I'm hugely nostalgic for it now. Whenever I think of my childhood, it invariably makes me think of emo and how it was massively popular when I was 8/9 years old.

Written By: temaichi on 01/06/20 at 5:14 pm

Same with me. I hated the emo scene as a kid. I can remember even making fun (not directly to his face though) of a young teen who lived across the road from my cousins for being an "emo kid". Now, however, I find myself listening to and liking songs by My Chemical Romance, Paramore and Panic at the Disco!, bands which I was never into at the time. I'm hugely nostalgic for it now. Whenever I think of my childhood, it invariably makes me think of emo and how it was massively popular when I was 8/9 years old.

I remember growing up, i would see a lot of emo teens around my local library. They would hang around in the comic book/manga section. There was also some gothic shop next to the library haha. I used to look up to them and i wanted to be like them someday not knowing that the trend was gonna die out.

Written By: 2001 on 01/06/20 at 5:23 pm

I remember growing up, i would see a lot of emo teens around my local library. They would hang around in the comic book/manga section. There was also some gothic shop next to the library haha. I used to look up to them and i wanted to be like them someday not knowing that the trend was gonna die out.

Those are Japanese rock fans, not emos. Don't mix us up ;D

Written By: wixness on 01/06/20 at 5:26 pm

Which TV show is that?
Winx Club. Its creative direction has gone badly IMO and there are other controversies too at least among the fandom.

Written By: temaichi on 01/06/20 at 5:30 pm

Those are Japanese rock fans, not emos. Don't mix us up ;D

Nah, bro. Trust me. I am a Japanese rock fan too but they were like REAL emo teens. :P

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/07/20 at 7:56 am

Yes, I think there will be a neo emo era over the next few years, mainly with the Gen Z kids that are now the age that Gen Y kids were back in the mid 2000s.

Written By: imrane on 01/07/20 at 10:59 am

Late 2000s/early 2010s nostalgia is only big with people who were kids then - so today’s teenagers (and maybe very early 20s).
Oh no, you're wrong! Don't use big words like only! Mostly, yes. Only, nope!

I'm 1988 born and I do have late 2000's/early 2010's nostalgia, those were my college years man. Just as much as I miss 1992-1994 I miss 2006-2013. That era teen trends were better imo than today's teen trends (excepting those that hark back to those times). I don't like the faux 90's/current mismatch people wear now, it looks ridiculous imo. And while I preferred the emo style to the music itself I'd rather have emo than trap.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/07/20 at 11:51 am

I'm 1988 born and I do have late 2000's/early 2010's nostalgia, those were my college years man. Just as much as I miss 1992-1994 I miss 2006-2013. That era teen trends were better imo than today's teen trends (excepting those that hark back to those times). I don't like the faux 90's/current mismatch people wear now, it looks ridiculous imo. And while I preferred the emo style to the music itself I'd rather have emo than trap.

Well, maybe only was an exaggeration - I have many fond memories of being a teenager in the late 00s/early 10s. Wouldn’t say nostalgia though.. not yet anyway. Personally I think fashion today is better than it was in 2010. Teens today seem more fashion-forward than we did.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/08/20 at 10:24 pm

I've definitely got some nostalgia from the late 2000s to early 2010s too. Those were my high school years.

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/09/20 at 11:12 am

Emo is one fad that will never return

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/19/20 at 9:49 pm

I like the e-boy/e-girl trend. I don't want emo to come back (no offence to anyone here). Been there, done that. I didn't sign up to live through the 2000s twice ;D

Well, is the E trend just about the look and not about the music?

I miss the sound and I don't like how inoffensive or just soulless-sounding songs in the 2010s sound. I'm not just talking about emo. Heck, I don't even like Sam Smith's and Adele's music even though their music is considered "good" - I just don't like the sort of melodies that people choose. It sounds forced and doesn't speak to me on an emotional level.
I think this is a highly realistic answer. This emo comeback thing I've only really seen on Tumblr.I just prefer gender non-conformity, and to me, emo was one of the ways in achieving this rather easily.

Just because you prefer gender non conformity doesn't mean everyone does and it's not fair for you expect all of society to change based on that preference. People have choices and like different things. Plus the world is more interesting with some variety.

Yes, I think there will be a neo emo era over the next few years, mainly with the Gen Z kids that are now the age that Gen Y kids were back in the mid 2000s.

Why not a neo-mall goth trend? It's been 20 years since the height of it.  :D

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/20 at 10:36 am

Well, is the E trend just about the look and not about the music?
Just because you prefer gender non conformity doesn't mean everyone does and it's not fair for you expect all of society to change based on that preference. People have choices and like different things. Plus the world is more interesting with some variety.
Why not a neo-mall goth trend? It's been 20 years since the height of it.  :D

I don't think there's any music associated with eboy. I think the relation with music and group/clique has eroded with Spotify.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/20/20 at 1:25 pm

Panic! At the Disco was pop punk.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/20/20 at 2:03 pm

I may be out of the loop when I say this, but did some emos actually get help with their depression and suicidal thoughts? Or are their dark clothing and moody personalities just for show?

Written By: wixness on 01/20/20 at 2:11 pm

I may be out of the loop when I say this, but did some emos actually get help with their depression and suicidal thoughts? Or are their dark clothing and moody personalities just for show?
A bit of both. I've seen emos on Tumblr who seem less depressed than the Winx Club fandom (because honestly, Winx Club's creative direction is terrible and the company behind it is struggling so much they apparently had to have a loan from a bank to make the show possible - I digress). Said emos talk about "killing cringe culture" (i.e. killing off the notion that others should be shamed for their cringy interests like Minecraft) and the "rawring twenties" so they seem pretty optimistic. Then again I guess this could be more like scene people but I doubt many know the difference or care to know.

Some people who have stopped being emo I guess probably got help or decided the aesthetic was no longer for them.

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/20 at 2:12 pm

No, they were attention seeking. They would have some sad sop song as their MySpace background music. Their MSN status would be some depressing poem line. MSN had a "Now Playing" feature where you could display whatever song you were listening to at the moment on iTunes or Windows Media Player, and they would ALWAYS have some suicidal/depressing song, no doubt to get people to message them saying "Is anything wrong?". They would cut their wrists and wear short sleeve shirts even in the dead of winter, no doubt to get people to ask "Is anything wrong?"

I'm glad all of that is gone. Now I can enjoy emo music (which I always liked) without the stigma of being associated with those people ;D

When the recession came, I guess they finally realized how ridiculous their "depression" sounded compared to the real suffering that was going on all around them.

Written By: wixness on 01/20/20 at 2:17 pm

No, they were attention seeking. They would have some sad sop song as their MySpace background music. Their MSN status would be some depressing poem line. MSN had a "Now Playing" feature where you could display whatever song you were listening to at the moment on iTunes or Windows Media Player, and they would ALWAYS have some suicidal/depressing song, no doubt to get people to message them saying "Is anything wrong?". They would cut their wrists and wear short sleeve shirts even in the dead of winter, no doubt to get people to ask "Is anything wrong?"

I'm glad all of that is gone. Now I can enjoy emo music (which I always liked) without the stigma of being associated with those people ;D

When the recession came, I guess they finally realized how ridiculous their "depression" sounded compared to the real suffering that was going on all around them.
I will still miss the aesthetic. I don't know what could replace it because I think everything else is inferior by comparison.

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/20 at 2:21 pm

I will still miss the aesthetic. I don't know what could replace it because I think everything else is inferior by comparison.

If it comes back, I hope it's not with a self-harm mantra. Although, ironic depression jokes are very common nowadays without there needing to be any emos.

Written By: wixness on 01/20/20 at 2:42 pm

If it comes back, I hope it's not with a self-harm mantra. Although, ironic depression jokes are very common nowadays without there needing to be any emos.
I doubt it will come back because people seem to have a rather rigid and highly traditional and highly gendered idea of what looks good on people. Explains why some people are vocally against minimalism, which is a bit unrelated, but I guess emo itself was radical in a way regarding what was deemed OK or attractive regarding how people expressed themselves. People thought they (along with goths and related) were possessed by Satan and/or were gay.
I think it may not come back with irony, with the woke attitudes of the 2010s fostering a new mentality that means more things have to be taken more seriously than ever.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/22/20 at 12:04 pm

I think some of it was just for show, like how the goth stereotype used to be that then jumped to emo. It's just a way some teenagers/early 20 somethings can be. I remember when LJ and Xanga were big and teens would post melodramatically about what's going wrong in life. Sometimes that included a section of song lyrics too and cringey fanfic.

Check for new replies or respond here...