inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pier One: The Boat is Leaving the Pier

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/07/20 at 12:47 pm

Mega retailer Pier One has announced the impending closure of 450 of their stores :o , which comprise nearly half of their business.  :\'(

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/01/06/pier-1-imports-store-closings-2020-up-450-stores-shutter/2827946001/

There’s one near where I live. I just went in there last week, for the first time in 15 years.  I wonder why they are closing? ???

Subject: Re: Pier One: The Boat is Leaving the Pier

Written By: Sman12 on 01/07/20 at 1:07 pm

I haven't actually seen a Pier 1 Imports commercial in YEARS. They're probably doing bad because of disinterest from people. Can't wait for Company Man on YouTube to make a video on this.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/07/20 at 1:40 pm

I haven't actually seen a Pier 1 Imports commercial in YEARS. They're probably doing bad because of disinterest from people. Can't wait for Company Man on YouTube to make a video on this.

Pier 1 was big in the 70s and 80s. I never heard much from them after that and any stores they had in my area already closed way back then. I didn't even know they were still in business. They sold faux-exotic looking things. They've kind of outlived their usefulness. 

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/08/20 at 1:43 pm

NO BRAKES ON THE RECESSION TRAIN!

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/08/20 at 2:26 pm

I want to like Pier One, but they’re extremely overpriced for the quality they offer. And they are always just slightly out of the exact style I’m looking for. I feel like the inside of that store hasn’t changed since 2003.

Written By: Howard on 01/08/20 at 3:48 pm

Pier 1 was big in the 70s and 80s. I never heard much from them after that and any stores they had in my area already closed way back then. I didn't even know they were still in business. They sold faux-exotic looking things. They've kind of outlived their usefulness.

I went there to buy some stuff, quite tacky things.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/17/20 at 6:17 pm

Pier 1 decided to throw in the towel today and filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.  :\'(

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/02/17/pier-one-bankruptcy-company-looks-buyer-continues-closing-stores/4786556002/

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/19/20 at 5:54 pm

It is finished.  :-\\

Pier One announced today that as soon as coronavirus regulations allow their remaining stores to reopen, they’re gonna close ‘em all down.  :\'(

https://triblive.com/news/world/pier-1-imports-to-close-down-all-stores/

Written By: Sman12 on 05/19/20 at 7:16 pm

It is finished.  :-\\

Pier One announced today that as soon as coronavirus regulations allow their remaining stores to reopen, they’re gonna close ‘em all down.  :\'(

https://triblive.com/news/world/pier-1-imports-to-close-down-all-stores/

And the first store "fatality" of the pandemic has now happened. It could probably be a negative sign of what's to come of other major retailers.  :-\\

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/19/20 at 8:16 pm

And the first store "fatality" of the pandemic has now happened. It could probably be a negative sign of what's to come of other major retailers.  :-\\

Neiman-Marcus already happened.

Written By: whistledog on 05/19/20 at 10:01 pm

Pier One in Canada pulled out a few years ago, so no new loss for us Canadians.  Still sad to see the whole chain go.  Pier One always makes me think of The Blues Brothers

Written By: Sman12 on 05/20/20 at 9:10 am

Neiman-Marcus already happened.

They filed for bankruptcy so far, but it doesn't exactly mean they'll liquidate their business. They most likely could go to the Pier 1 route of closing all stores after the crisis has ended, but we just have to wait and see.

Check for new replies or respond here...