inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Roddy Ricch explains why he looks up to Young Thug & Future over 2Pac and Biggie

Written By: temaichi on 01/08/20 at 3:08 pm

"I was born in 1998." He told Complex.
"I was born after Tupac and Biggie died. What do you expect me to rap like? Who do you expect me to look up to? These were the soundtracks to my life at one point, these were my heroes getting me through the worst in life."

https://www.rollingstone.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/roddy-ricch-song.jpg?resize=900,600&w=450

Old heads need to accept that we live in a new era right now. A lot of young rappers are not looking up to the greatest of the past decades. They grew up listening to rappers in the Late 2000s-Early 2010s and now it’s their time to shine in the 2020s.

Subject: Re: Roddy Ricch explains why he looks up to Young Thug & Future over 2Pac and Biggie

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/08/20 at 3:12 pm

I agree. They didn’t grow up with Biggie, Bone Thuggs and Harmonie.  So let them rap like 50 Cent and Eminem! It’s their right!  And Post Millone!

Subject: Re: Roddy Ricch explains why he looks up to Young Thug & Future over 2Pac and Biggie

Written By: Sman12 on 01/08/20 at 3:43 pm

"I was born in 1998." He told Complex.
"I was born after Tupac and Biggie died. What do you expect me to rap like? Who do you expect me to look up to? These were the soundtracks to my life at one point, these were my heroes getting me through the worst in life."

https://www.rollingstone.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/roddy-ricch-song.jpg?resize=900,600&w=450

Old heads need to accept that we live in a new era right now. A lot of young rappers are not looking up to the greatest of the past decades. They grew up listening to rappers in the Late 2000s-Early 2010s and now it’s their time to shine in the 2020s.

While I often hate mumble rappers (Lil Pump, Lil Yachty, etc), I also hate people who think that just because mumble rap exists, it's now suddenly the template for all of today's hip hop. Hip hop with intelligent lyrics and engaging beats still exists from artists like Kendrick and J. Cole.

Written By: temaichi on 01/08/20 at 4:30 pm

While I often hate mumble rappers (Lil Pump, Lil Yachty, etc), I also hate people who think that just because mumble rap exists, it's now suddenly the template for all of today's hip hop. Hip hop with intelligent lyrics and engaging beats still exists from artists like Kendrick and J. Cole.

Exactly. The truth is that Hip-Hop is bigger then it has ever been. I have heard trap artists crossing over to Rock music and Country music. Something that people have failed to genre-blend in the past. Trap music allowed rappers to show more diversity then ever with instruments behind their beats such as guitars, piano, flute, etc. If you are looking for a lyrical rapper there are rappers like Kendrick, Denzel Curry, YBN Cordae, and J.Cole. If you are looking for something to hype you up you got Lil Pump, and all them mumble rappers. Trap is basically Pop music now. You gotta learn to get used to it...

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/08/20 at 7:14 pm

Exactly. The truth is that Hip-Hop is bigger then it has ever been. I have heard trap artists crossing over to Rock music and Country music. Something that people have failed to genre-blend in the past. Trap music allowed rappers to show more diversity then ever with instruments behind their beats such as guitars, piano, flute, etc. If you are looking for a lyrical rapper there are rappers like Kendrick, Denzel Curry, YBN Cordae, and J.Cole. If you are looking for something to hype you up you got Lil Pump, and all them mumble rappers. Trap is basically Pop music now. You gotta learn to get used to it...

I disagree. Rappers have been diversifying their sound for a long time now. Especially during the blog rap era of 09 - 13. And flutes, horns, guitars, brass instruments, etc have been present in trap since at least the 2000s. A lot of urban music right now is paying homage to music from the 2000s.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/08/20 at 7:24 pm

Roddy is one of my favorite rappers. I don't really care that he looks up to Thugger more than Biggie & 2pac, but is there really that much of a generational gap that rappers like Migos (early/mid 90s borns) or ASAP Rocky (late 80s born) can site Bone Thugs as prominent influences v. someone born in 1998? I guess I can see the case being made for someone born in the late 80s.

Check for new replies or respond here...