inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Early 2020s Nostalgia

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/08/20 at 6:49 pm

When will it be fashionable to be nostalgic about the early 2020s? ???

Subject: Re: Early 2020s Nostalgia

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/08/20 at 6:51 pm

Maybe in the late 2030's? Cause the late 2010's is when I remember early 2000's nostalgia taking effect.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/08/20 at 8:40 pm

When the kids who are 5 years old now turn 19 or 20.

I love how many people here try to make the "nostalgia cycle" out to be some kind of complex equation but it's really as simple as I just described.

Written By: MikeyYankeeMan99 on 01/08/20 at 9:03 pm

Man, when people become nostalgic for the 2020s, I would feel extremely old. I mean, the 2010s felt recent enough (since we're just only 8 days out of the 2010s as of this post), but the 2010s felt really new with the culture and technology that took place there.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/08/20 at 10:32 pm

Let's not get ahead of ourselves and live day by day I highly doubt we will make it to 2030 something tells me there will be the apocalypse before then.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/09/20 at 5:23 am

Let's not get ahead of ourselves and live day by day I highly doubt we will make it to 2030 something tells me there will be the apocalypse before then.

This makes me nostalgic for the early 60’s, when everybody was waiting for The Big One to be set off.

Not to worry... if somebody lobs a nuke our way, just duck under your school desk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_and_cover

Written By: Howard on 01/09/20 at 7:03 am

Will you stop with the apocalypse, enough scaring everyone on here!  ::)

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/09/20 at 7:27 am

What lmao. I strongly doubt that’ll be the case. That’s just being extremely pessimistic. Like bchris02 level pessimistic  ;D ;D

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/09/20 at 10:15 am

Humanity is on track to last exactly 67 more years

Written By: temaichi on 01/09/20 at 1:15 pm

I say the Early 2030s because people are already nostalgic for the start of the 10s.
We have access to so much content nowadays. You can feel nostalgic about anything in the past!

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/09/20 at 2:20 pm

Maybe in the late 2030's? Cause the late 2010's is when I remember early 2000's nostalgia taking effect.

Yes, and in the late 00's early 90's nostalgia was getting popular, and in the late 90's there was early 80's nostalgia, and so on.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/09/20 at 10:05 pm

Yes, and in the late 00's early 90's nostalgia was getting popular

On the internet at least, it seemed late 90s nostalgia was more popular than early 90s nostalgia in 2009. By then I noticed a lot of Core Millennials online already talking wistfully about Pokemon and Tamagotchi, or saying how Cartoon Network died in 2004.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/10/20 at 4:30 am

I simply remember my favorite things, and then I don't feel so bad.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 06/10/21 at 11:02 am

Well... this post hasn't aged so well lol

Written By: CarCar on 06/10/21 at 4:45 pm

2040 ? Probably

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/10/21 at 7:36 pm

Maybe in 2036 when there's another global pandemic.

Written By: Howard on 06/11/21 at 7:04 am

Maybe in 2036 when there's another global pandemic.

And when cicadas come out again.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/17/21 at 4:10 pm

See my thread titled "fake early 2020s". If there is any part of the early 2020s people will be nostalgic for, it is that part. The first 2-3 months of 2020 before the global pandemic began. I am already nostalgic for that time. I guess who wouldn't be since it was the last time anyone has any memories of some semblance of normal in the world.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 06/17/21 at 11:55 pm

See my thread titled "fake early 2020s". If there is any part of the early 2020s people will be nostalgic for, it is that part. The first 2-3 months of 2020 before the global pandemic began. I am already nostalgic for that time. I guess who wouldn't be since it was the last time anyone has any memories of some semblance of normal in the world.

It's too small of a time period to be nostalgic for and was virtually the same as 2019 but with WW3 scare, australian wildfires and covid scare on the horizon(nowhere near as big as a problem as mid-march onwards however).

Written By: Slim95 on 06/18/21 at 9:14 am

It's too small of a time period to be nostalgic for and was virtually the same as 2019 but with WW3 scare, australian wildfires and covid scare on the horizon(nowhere near as big as a problem as mid-march onwards however).

Many parts of 2019 were not the same as 2018 which was the laye '10s.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 06/18/21 at 9:54 am

Many parts of 2019 were not the same as 2018 which was the laye '10s.

2018 and 2019? Virtually the same. Same mumble rap/trap stuff, same marvel movies, same attitudes, memes, same popular games like fortnite, etc. T I wasn't talking about 2018 btw. I meant first 2 months of 2020 being the same as 2019 but with hysteria stacked on top not just from covid but also WW3. Come to think of it it's kind of ironic how the decade starts off with WW3 rumors, a virus scare and australian wildfires. Really sets the tone.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/18/21 at 10:21 am

2018 and 2019? Virtually the same. Same mumble rap/trap stuff, same marvel movies, same attitudes, memes, same popular games like fortnite, etc. T I wasn't talking about 2018 btw. I meant first 2 months of 2020 being the same as 2019 but with hysteria stacked on top not just from covid but also WW3. Come to think of it it's kind of ironic how the decade starts off with WW3 rumors, a virus scare and australian wildfires. Really sets the tone.

Absolutely not. 2019 and 2018 were not the same. No wonder you think we're in the late '10s still lol. I can't believe you think those two years were the same. 2018 didn't have Billie Eilish, didn't have The Mandelorean, didn't have the same style of music, and didn't have Covid-19. You are so wrong. Trap is still around, what's your point? You fail to see the big picture and focus on only one genre, you are so wrong and I haven't disagreed with you more on anything else ever.

If you think Don't Start Now would be popular in 2018 I don't know what to say, you need to be more aware of your surroundings then.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 06/18/21 at 11:36 am

Absolutely not. 2019 and 2018 were not the same. No wonder you think we're in the late '10s still lol. I can't believe you think those two years were the same. 2018 didn't have Billie Eilish, didn't have The Mandelorean, didn't have the same style of music, and didn't have Covid-19. You are so wrong. Trap is still around, what's your point? You fail to see the big picture and focus on only one genre, you are so wrong and I haven't disagreed with you more on anything else ever.

If you think Don't Start Now would be popular in 2018 I don't know what to say, you need to be more aware of your surroundings then.

>2018 didn't have Billie Eilish

And? She's no Michael Jackson or Britney Spears or Lady Gaga or Lorde. She isn't really influential or revolutionary when it comes to pop music like people make her out to be. Plenty of songs had a dark and sombre tone before she stepped on the scene and the year after music got more upbeat with brighter colours like you mentioned in that post about 2020s music. She had one very popular song and got famous but that's about it. She didn't change music at all.

>Didn't have the mandelorian

And. That's just one show. Popular but still just one show and not exactly something which would define the culture of an era. It isn't iconic like shows such as Seinfeld or Breaking Bad are.

>didn't have the same style of music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZE6lxE_J40&ab_channel=TopMusicMafia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I8E0swNo_U&ab_channel=TopMusicMafiaTopMusicMafiaVerified

Seems pretty similar to me with trap rap being very popular, country being surprising popular compared to the rest of the decade and pop sounding similar. I don't see any of Billie Eilish's influence here. Only difference is Trap rap became even more prominent.

>and didn't have Covid-19.

Which was only known about in like the last few weeks of the year and back then it was thought of as just a regular virus. WHO was first informed of cases on literally the exact last day of that year. Lol come on now this is reaching.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/18/21 at 11:59 am

>2018 didn't have Billie Eilish

And? She's no Michael Jackson or Britney Spears or Lady Gaga or Lorde. She isn't really influential or revolutionary when it comes to pop music like people make her out to be. Plenty of songs had a dark and sombre tone before she stepped on the scene and the year after music got more upbeat with brighter colours like you mentioned in that post about 2020s music. She had one very popular song and got famous but that's about it. She didn't change music at all.

>Didn't have the mandelorian

And. That's just one show. Popular but still just one show and not exactly something which would define the culture of an era. It isn't iconic like shows such as Seinfeld or Breaking Bad are.

>didn't have the same style of music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZE6lxE_J40&ab_channel=TopMusicMafia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I8E0swNo_U&ab_channel=TopMusicMafiaTopMusicMafiaVerified

Seems pretty similar to me with trap rap being very popular, country being surprising popular compared to the rest of the decade and pop sounding similar. I don't see any of Billie Eilish's influence here. Only difference is Trap rap became even more prominent.

>and didn't have Covid-19.

Which was only known about in like the last few weeks of the year and back then it was thought of as just a regular virus. WHO was first informed of cases on literally the exact last day of that year. Lol come on now this is reaching.

Wow.. The Mandelorean is the most popular show in the world right now. It is the GoT of the 2020s. Every child in America has a Grogu (baby yoda) doll. Billie Eilish is one of the most influential singers in the world today. It's not even funny how wrong you are...

The fact that you call The Mandelorean "just one show" and Billie Eilish just another singer just shows how out of touch with pop culture you are. The Mandelorean is huge... And the merchandise has been flying off the shelves. It's almost like you weren't around in late 2019 when The Mandelorean got hyped.

Or you just completely ignore how other aspects of culture in 2019 like Tik Tok and Disney+ made a huge difference and influenced the new era...

Anyone who thinks late 2019 is part of 2018 (late 10s culture) is completely blind. Words cannot even describe how wrong you are. It's not even funny.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/18/21 at 12:06 pm

Disney+, The Mandelorean, Tik Tok, Billie Eilish, Covid, dance music, foldable phones.. It is almost laughable how anyone could say we are still in the culture of 2018 (late '10s) even from the perspective of early 2020 and late 2019.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/18/21 at 12:10 pm

Another thing to consider is that if and when the time comes for it to be fashionable for early 2020s nostalgia (or for another recent or upcoming era) that being nostalgic for oddly specific eras in and of itself may have become unfashionable. People may have moved on to other things than fashionable nostalgia. So therefore it won't be fashionable at all. This has to be taken into consideration. Doesn't mean one can't BE nostalgic for said era(s), but it just wouldn't be fashionable and may cause some to examine their motives or simply drop the whole thing altogether until nature takes it's course and they feel an authentic nostalgia for a time of their youth. if indeed they even do. Some people don't.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 06/18/21 at 12:29 pm

Slim95:

I don't know if it's because you live in Canada, where I read somewhere else on this forum you have to have your music pass quality testing to get on the airwaves, but in this year, and the last one, when I was unfortunate enough to have someone's music blaring in an adjacent car.... Yeah, it didn't sound that much different from the same crap I heard from people's cars in both 2018 and 2019.

To say that 2018 and 2019 were worlds apart is... hilariously wrong. I even agree with you about 2020's culture being different from that of the late '10s, but they aren't night and day. People are still laughing at 5-second-entertainment pictures, the economy still sucks, and today's entertainment is still unimaginative as a whole.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 06/18/21 at 12:33 pm

Disney+, The Mandelorean, Tik Tok, Billie Eilish, Covid, dance music, foldable phones.. It is almost laughable how anyone could say we are still in the culture of 2018 (late '10s) even from the perspective of early 2020 and late 2019.

Wow.. The Mandelorean is the most popular show in the world right now. It is the GoT of the 2020s. Every child in America has a Grogu (baby yoda) doll. Billie Eilish is one of the most influential singers in the world today. It's not even funny how wrong you are...

The fact that you call The Mandelorean "just one show" and Billie Eilish just another singer just shows how out of touch with pop culture you are. The Mandelorean is huge... And the merchandise has been flying off the shelves. It's almost like you weren't around in late 2019 when The Mandelorean got hyped.

Or you just completely ignore how other aspects of culture in 2019 like Tik Tok and Disney+ made a huge difference and influenced the new era...

Anyone who thinks late 2019 is part of 2018 (late 10s culture) is completely blind. Words cannot even describe how wrong you are. It's not even funny.

>Wow.. The Mandelorean is the most popular show in the world right now. It is the GoT of the 2020s.

The viewings are pretty damn impressive, i'll give it that. But most of those views could be from hardcore SW fans. You do realise just how much of a monolith the Star Wars brand is, right? Pretty much anything that with that name is going to sell massively. People talk about the movies way more than that show even though most people hate the new movies. Speaking of which, that trilogy lasted from Dec 2015-Dec 2019 which is another point in favor of 2019 being the same as late 10s culture. Same with Avengers and GOT which ended in 2019 which were also extremely popular(popular as in talked about and watched) at the time.

>Billie Eilish is one of the most influential singers in the world today.

Billie Eilish didn't influence anything. She is famous but hardly influential. Like I said, music got more upbeat the year after she hit the mainstream and the only noticeable change in music the year she did was that Trap/Mumble rap got even bigger which has zero relation to her style of music. People thought she would be back in 2019 but this was not fulfilled in the following year and not this year either.

>Or you just completely ignore how other aspects of culture in 2019 like Tik Tok and Disney+ made a huge difference and influenced the new era...

TikTok is basically Musically 2.0 or Vine 3.0 and Disney+ is just another streaming platform like Netflix or Amazon Prime.

>Foldable phone

A fad just like the smart watch which doesn't revolutionise technology like the smartphone or tablet did. No one talks about it.

>Dance music

Virtually non existant that year if you checked that hit songs of 2019 I linked.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/18/21 at 12:53 pm

>Wow.. The Mandelorean is the most popular show in the world right now. It is the GoT of the 2020s.

The viewings are pretty damn impressive, i'll give it that. But most of those views could be from hardcore SW fans. You do realise just how much of a monolith the Star Wars brand is, right? Pretty much anything that with that name is going to sell massively. People talk about the movies way more than that show even though most people hate the new movies. Speaking of which, that trilogy lasted from Dec 2015-Dec 2019 which is another point in favor of 2019 being the same as late 10s culture. Same with Avengers and GOT which ended in 2019 which were also extremely popular(popular as in talked about and watched) at the time.

Billie Eilish didn't influence anything. She is famous but hardly influential. Like I said, music got more upbeat the year after she hit the mainstream and the only noticeable change in music the year she did was that Trap/Mumble rap got even bigger which has zero relation to her style of music. People thought she would be back in 2019 but this was not fulfilled in the following year and not this year either.

>Or you just completely ignore how other aspects of culture in 2019 like Tik Tok and Disney+ made a huge difference and influenced the new era...

TikTok is basically Musically 2.0 or Vine 3.0 and Disney+ is just another streaming platform like Netflix or Amazon Prime.

>Foldable phone

A fad just like the smart watch which doesn't revolutionise technology like the smartphone or tablet did. No one talks about it.

>Dance music

Virtually non existant that year if you checked that hit songs of 2019 I linked.

You don't call Dua Lipa's song Don't Start Now a dance song? That came out in 2019.. And what about all the other songs in 2020 that were popular? Levitating? Say So? Break my Heart? You think these dance songs would be popular in 2018?

Written By: Slim95 on 06/18/21 at 1:33 pm

>Foldable phone

>Dance music

Name one song from 2018 that has the same dance vibe of the songs from late 2019 and early 2020

Written By: NightmareFarm on 06/18/21 at 1:34 pm

You don't call Dua Lipa's song Don't Start Now a dance song? That came out in 2019.. And what about all the other songs in 2020 that were popular? Levitating? Say So? Break my Heart? You think these dance songs would be popular in 2018?

Whilst there may have been dance music released that year, it was a very small minority. Most hits that year were trap rap/mumble rap and the other popular genres were typical late 10s pop and country. 2020's most blatant difference is the lack of trap rap in comparison to 2019 but it's still there. Dance music was a bit more popular that year but nowhere near popular enough to define music that year. Most songs that year were typical late 10s pop with the same production elements and all.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/18/21 at 1:38 pm

Whilst there may have been dance music released that year, it was a very small minority. Most hits that year were trap rap/mumble rap and the other popular genres were typical late 10s pop and country. 2020's most blatant difference is the lack of trap rap in comparison to 2019 but it's still there. Dance music was a bit more popular that year but nowhere near popular enough to define music that year. Most songs that year were typical late 10s pop with the same production elements and all.

Which mumble songs came out in 2020 exactly? I don't remember even hearing one on the charts. In fact the rap songs that came out where quite the opposite with a lot of melodic sounds on it. Mumble rap died in 2019.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 06/18/21 at 1:42 pm

Which mumble songs came out in 2020 exactly? I don't remember even hearing one on the charts. In fact the rap songs that came out where quite the opposite with a lot of melodic sounds on it. Mumble rap died in 2019.

What I meant was 2019 had a lot of trap/mumble rap whereas there are much less in 2020.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/18/21 at 1:42 pm

Slim95:

I don't know if it's because you live in Canada, where I read somewhere else on this forum you have to have your music pass quality testing to get on the airwaves, but in this year, and the last one, when I was unfortunate enough to have someone's music blaring in an adjacent car.... Yeah, it didn't sound that much different from the same crap I heard from people's cars in both 2018 and 2019.

To say that 2018 and 2019 were worlds apart is... hilariously wrong. I even agree with you about 2020's culture being different from that of the late '10s, but they aren't night and day. People are still laughing at 5-second-entertainment pictures, the economy still sucks, and today's entertainment is still unimaginative as a whole.

It's okay to say there are late 2010s holdovers even now, I agree with that. But saying we are in the same era as the late 2010s or that the late 2010s was part of late 2019 and early 2020 is just plain wrong we are 100% in the early 2020 so completely different era covid is just an obvious example of that. Among many others I've listed.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/18/21 at 1:43 pm

What I said was 2019 had a lot of trap/mumble rap whereas there are much less in 2020.

I was talking about LATE 2019 AND EARLY 2020. Not the entirety of 2019 obviously. I was very clear about that and mentioned LATE 2019 countless times...

Written By: NightmareFarm on 06/18/21 at 1:51 pm

I was talking about LATE 2019 AND EARLY 2020. Not the entirety of 2019 obviously. I was very clear about that and mentioned LATE 2019 countless times...

In that timeframe mumble rap/trap was still at it's peak because 2019 was the peak year for it with like half the hits being just that and in early 2020 you had them as holdovers. When a new year starts music from previous year doesn't just suddenly dissapear.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/18/21 at 1:57 pm

In that timeframe mumble rap/trap was still at it's peak because 2019 was the peak year for it with like half the hits being just that and in early 2020 you had them as holdovers. When a new year starts music from previous year doesn't just suddenly dissapear.

I am saying early 2020s trends such as dance music, Mandelorean, etc started in late 2019. I'm not talking about there not being holdovers. There are STILL late '10s holdovers today. Doesn't mean we aren't in the early '20s.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 06/18/21 at 2:15 pm

I am saying early 2020s trends such as dance music, Mandelorean, etc started in late 2019. I'm not talking about there not being holdovers. There are STILL late '10s holdovers today. Doesn't mean we aren't in the early '20s.

Idk what your obsession with mandelorian is. It peaked in popularity in late 2019 and it's just a popular TV show. Nothing iconic or culturally defining about it. When people think of iconic TV shows they think of Breaking Bad or The Walking Dead or Seinfeld or The Simpsons or Stranger Things. It isn't iconic, not as popular as it was in 2019 and not many people talk about it in the 20s besides the pre-covid era. Does a cultural shift happen everytime a TV show gets popular?

Dance music gained a bit of popularity in late 2019 which continued on to 2020 but was overshadowed by modern hip hop(i'm calling mumble rap and trap that now for convenience sake) in 2019 and generic late 10s pop in 2020.

We are in the early 20s but only because of Covid and the way it's impacted the world with lockdowns, economy getting worse, cinemas closing, hysteria, etc. Pop culture is pretty much the same.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 06/18/21 at 6:18 pm

Oh, well I agree, then.

Written By: deloresthegreat on 06/19/21 at 5:24 pm

Another thing to consider is that if and when the time comes for it to be fashionable for early 2020s nostalgia (or for another recent or upcoming era) that being nostalgic for oddly specific eras in and of itself may have become unfashionable. People may have moved on to other things than fashionable nostalgia. So therefore it won't be fashionable at all. This has to be taken into consideration. Doesn't mean one can't BE nostalgic for said era(s), but it just wouldn't be fashionable and may cause some to examine their motives or simply drop the whole thing altogether until nature takes it's course and they feel an authentic nostalgia for a time of their youth. if indeed they even do. Some people don't.

Mmm, I don't know if I agree with this.  I think people are normally nostalgic for the time in which they were young to some extent.  I think that whilst people will never fail to mention how bad COVID was, they may be nostalgic about having had more time at home, more time to discover themselves, to watch TV, etc.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/19/21 at 5:57 pm

Mmm, I don't know if I agree with this.  I think people are normally nostalgic for the time in which they were young to some extent.  I think that whilst people will never fail to mention how bad COVID was, they may be nostalgic about having had more time at home, more time to discover themselves, to watch TV, etc.

But the original post says "When will it be fashionable to be nostalgic about the early 2020s?" The operative word there is "fashionable". That's what I was (somewhat tongue in cheek) poking holes in. "Fashionable" implies that  this "nostalgia"  is a thing that can just be turned on and off, can be picked and chosen.  That it is, in fact, a fashion statement. "This month we are being nostalgic for November 2017 to March 2019".  "Next month we may be nostalgic for August 2004 to June 2006 if we are in the mood". That's how weirdly specific people get here. You yourself just said "people are normally nostalgic for the time in which they were young to some extent". That is absolutely correct. It's a NATURAL thing. It comes over you by itself. But what about all the fake nostalgia that people have here for times long before they were born, that they cannot possibly have any personal feelings for or connection to? Or, what about the new concept that you have introduced me to, the interest in nostalgia far in the future. ("Will there be nostalgia for the 2010s in the 2030s and 2040s?"). It's a whole new concept to me.

Check for new replies or respond here...