inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will hip hop continue to be the most popular genre of music in the 2020s?

Written By: rapplepop on 01/08/20 at 8:38 pm

Hip hop and rap were the most popular genre of the 2010s, and arguably of the 1990s and 2000s if you're just counting the youthful demographic. I see no signs of it going away, but I could see people start to get tired of trap just because it's so oversaturated. I find it hard to imagine another direction hip hop could go, aside from maybe reverting back to previous styles.

Subject: Re: Will hip hop continue to be the most popular genre of music in the 2020s?

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/08/20 at 9:13 pm

Yes, I think hip-hop will continue to be the most popular genre at least up until the mid 2020s. I feel it might suffer the same fate mainstream wise in the late 20s as it did in the early 2010s.

Subject: Re: Will hip hop continue to be the most popular genre of music in the 2020s?

Written By: Slim95 on 01/08/20 at 10:28 pm

No man I don't think so. It's gotta die off for a bit. There's no way another genre will replace trap and it will continue to be in the charts doesn't work that way. It needs a break so it can form its new sound whatever it may be and then come back in the 2030s/2040s.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/08/20 at 10:30 pm

Yes, I think hip-hop will continue to be the most popular genre at least up until the mid 2020s. I feel it might suffer the same fate mainstream wise in the late 20s as it did in the early 2010s.

I think earlier than that. My bet is by 2022, there will not be a single Hip Hop song on the Top 40.

By the way, I am only saying Hip Hop because its defined that way. But I do not consider trap Hip Hop. My favourite genre is Hip Hop, my least favourite genre is trap.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/09/20 at 6:06 am

Hip hop and rap were the most popular genre of the 2010s, and arguably of the 1990s and 2000s if you're just counting the youthful demographic. I see no signs of it going away, but I could see people start to get tired of trap just because it's so oversaturated. I find it hard to imagine another direction hip hop could go, aside from maybe reverting back to previous styles.

Well, trap first became popular in the 2000s when rappers like T.I. and Jeezy started using the sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ4vKm3Z5eY

Eventually it became way more mainstream in the 2010s when Future, Fetty Wap and others had trap elements in their songs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_kF4zLNKio
So I'm not seeing any sign of trap slowing down, especially within the early 2020s. But I still think that another relatively unknown rap subgenre might hit the scene and change the face of mainstream rap later on in the decade. Maybe New Orleans bounce ("In My Feelings" by Drake had stylings of it) or something.

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/09/20 at 10:20 am

Hip Hop has been declining since October.  Acts like Post Millown, Shug Nite, and XXXTentacion haven’t released any new music.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/09/20 at 12:29 pm

The only kind of trap music I like is bubblegum trap. So songs by KYLE. But that was not very popular in the 2010s only in 2017.

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/09/20 at 12:43 pm

The only kind of trap music I like is bubblegum trap. So songs by KYLE. But that was not very popular in the 2010s only in 2017.

Kyle Minogue?

Written By: Slim95 on 01/09/20 at 12:58 pm

Kyle Minogue?

No who's that? I'm talking about the rapper KYLE. He made Bubblegum Trap music. For example his song "iSpy" featuring Lil Yachty. I don't mind that, it has a nice melody.

Actually Lil Yachty is the one mainly used the genre.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/rmjwbx/lil-yachty-interview-bubblegum-trap-2016

Written By: temaichi on 01/09/20 at 1:06 pm

Hip-Hop will continue to be the most popular genre for decades to come! The genre is here to stay and it is easy to produce. Anybody can be a rapper nowadays. The late 2010s showed us that! I want trap to die because i am getting tired of hearing the same beats over and over again but is it going away?! I do not think so!

Written By: Dundee on 01/12/20 at 4:04 am

Definitely not going away any time soon but its popularity does fluctuate over the years, for example the genre was less popular around the turn of the millenium and in the early 2010s for some reason. Right now I do think it's getting into another period of slight slowdown due to the saturation that happened around 2017/18, but it will eventually come back strong.

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/12/20 at 4:31 am

Hip Hop has been declining since October.  Acts like Post Millown, Shug Nite, and XXXTentacion haven’t released any new music.

Uh. Maybe they're just between albums? Not releasing music for a year doesn't mean you're gone.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/12/20 at 8:32 am

Uh. Maybe they're just between albums? Not releasing music for a year doesn't mean you're gone.

Even though one IS gone permanently.

Written By: deloresthegreat on 01/12/20 at 8:45 am

As a member of Gen Z, I can stay that it's here to stay.  It might change, but believe me, people still love rap music.  I just wonder what happened to rock n roll.

Written By: wixness on 01/12/20 at 9:19 am

As a member of Gen Z, I can stay that it's here to stay.  It might change, but believe me, people still love rap music.  I just wonder what happened to rock n roll.

Died I guess. Barrier of entry was too high, diversity was too low both in the composition of the sound and artists. I still prefer the sound of rock music because to me, it's the sound I first got acquainted with that I got into.

That said, rap and hip hop doesn't appeal to me in the same way and/or as much. I'd like it mixed with rock to appeal to me a little more and for it to sound a little different otherwise, because apparently, it sounds the same with the Migos thing.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/12/20 at 10:12 am

Yep. I don't see rap leaving the mainstream until around the core/late Gen Alpha era.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/12/20 at 10:59 am

Real rap is not what you hear on the Billboard charts. I don't think people should call that noise  rap.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/12/20 at 12:12 pm

Real rap is not what you hear on the Billboard charts. I don't think people should call that noise  rap.

Just because it's not rap you like doesn't mean it's not rap.  ???

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/12/20 at 12:57 pm

People will always love rap music no matter how many people hate. It's the music of the youth.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/12/20 at 12:58 pm

*dead*  ;D

Exactly.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/12/20 at 1:15 pm

It's not because it's different enough to be a considered a different genre... Rap is poetry. How is mubling noise with a background trap beat rap? It isn't...

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/12/20 at 1:33 pm

Even though one IS gone permanently.

Hey, Jimi Hendrix and Michael Jackson are still pumping out albums, sooo...

I'd like it mixed with rock to appeal to me a little more and for it to sound a little different otherwise, because apparently, it sounds the same with the Migos thing.

You ever try Linkin Park? That might be up your alley a bit.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/12/20 at 3:23 pm

I'm actually digging Linkin Park right now. In The End, Numb, Bleed It Out, and What I've Done are my favorites so far.

Written By: wixness on 01/12/20 at 4:03 pm

I have but I guess pop punk is more my thing. Linkin Park to me is more nu-metal, which isn't bad, but something I wouldn't really consider distinctly emo. Aesthetically, I find nu-metal preferable to hip-hop, but like hip hop, I'm not very attached to it.

Written By: Anwawesome on 01/13/20 at 10:25 am

I think earlier than that. My bet is by 2022, there will not be a single Hip Hop song on the Top 40.

By the way, I am only saying Hip Hop because its defined that way. But I do not consider trap Hip Hop. My favourite genre is Hip Hop, my least favourite genre is trap.

Just because you consider trap to not be hip hop doesn't mean that's the way it is. The fact of the matter is trap is a subgenre of hip hop/rap.

Written By: Anwawesome on 01/13/20 at 10:31 am

People will always love rap music no matter how many people hate. It's the music of the youth.

It's the music of the youth currently, for now. The most popular kind of music among the youth can change and always has changed.

Written By: imrane on 01/13/20 at 11:27 am

Even I jumped on the rap bandwagon and wrote some hip hop songs. Not trap though, I'll never embrace that. The only trap song I like is Djadja. ;D

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/13/20 at 2:02 pm

I am quite impressed by xxxtentacion

Check for new replies or respond here...