inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: “E Boys/Girls” and “Soft Boys/Girls” are the first subcultures of the 2020’s

Written By: duenas8 on 01/09/20 at 3:17 pm

Originally born in 2019 on TikTok, ”Eboys, Egirls” and “Soft boys, soft girls” are the first subcultures in becoming a trend in this decade.

On one side, “eboys/egirls” are the GenZ resurgence of the 2000’s Emo trend, but adapted to the current social media culture, they tend to include “Trap Metal” and “Lil Peep” to their tastes.

While “soft boys/girls” follow the aesthetics of the indie bands of the late 2010’s and they tend to look cute with feminine bright colors. Among their musical tastes you can find lo-fi and artists like Clairo.

zqvhWkslIzI
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/UjV5C3nwkTw/maxresdefault.jpg

Subject: Re: “E Boys/Girls” and “Soft Boys/Girls” are first subcultures of the 2020’s

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/09/20 at 3:20 pm

What is happening to humanity? That video is creepy as hell. Made me ill watching it.  I don’t understand these young generations. It’s a strange synthetic world they live in.  What the hell.

Subject: Re: “E Boys/Girls” and “Soft Boys/Girls” are first subcultures of the 2020’s

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/09/20 at 3:24 pm

umDr0mPuyQc

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/09/20 at 3:50 pm

I'm hesitant to call it a 2020s subculture given that it started in the late 2010s. That would be like calling scene kids a 2010s subculture because it lasted a couple years into the '10s, even though it started in the late '00s.

Let's see how long this trend lasts.

Written By: wixness on 01/09/20 at 4:03 pm

Not gender non-conforming enough. I doubt the music sounds good and even if it did, I won't be able to even keep it.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/09/20 at 4:05 pm

I really don’t understand this E-boy/girl stuff.

Written By: duenas8 on 01/09/20 at 4:10 pm

I'm hesitant to call it a 2020s subculture given that it started in the late 2010s. That would be like calling scene kids a 2010s subculture because it lasted a couple years into the '10s, even though it started in the late '00s.

Let's see how long this trend lasts.

I mean, hipsters became popular around 2008, but it’s more representative of the 2010s. I understand your point though

Subject: Re: “E Boys/Girls” and “Soft Boys/Girls” are the first subcultures of the 2020’s

Written By: mc98 on 01/09/20 at 5:08 pm

Those subcultures are very Gen Z.

Subject: Re: “E Boys/Girls” and “Soft Boys/Girls” are the first subcultures of the 2020’s

Written By: 2001 on 01/09/20 at 5:29 pm

I don't know what soft boy/girl is, but eboy/egirl I am cool with. What happened to VSCO girl?

Written By: Sman12 on 01/09/20 at 11:45 pm

I always hated TikTok, and that video proves it.  8-P

Written By: xenzue on 01/10/20 at 3:20 am

I don't know what soft boy/girl is, but eboy/egirl I am cool with. What happened to VSCO girl?

The VSCO girl subculture is pretty much dead because some elements of it were so quickly absorbed by mainstream Gen Z. However, I think the VSCO app is slowly becoming what Tumblr was in the early 2010s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/10/20 at 3:48 am

I always hated TikTok, and that video proves it.  8-P
I am not watching the video, but can someone explain what TikTok is?

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/10/20 at 4:48 am

I hate that subcultures now revolve entirely around apps and I won’t pretend to understand what these are all about or that I like it. However, it’s not my place and I won’t be an old man griping about the kids these days. As long as they aren’t harming anyone or doing any ills to society at large, I won’t cast an aspersion at them, not a one.

Written By: Howard on 01/10/20 at 7:26 am

What is happening to humanity? That video is creepy as hell. Made me ill watching it.  I don’t understand these young generations. It’s a strange synthetic world they live in.  What the hell.

I found it weird being that of an older generation myself.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/10/20 at 10:13 am

I am not watching the video, but can someone explain what TikTok is?

A social media app mostly inhabited by teenagers which enables them to record around 15-second videos. Common videos are people doing lip-syncing videos/duets or comedy skits. They're usually cringey imo.

Written By: 2001 on 01/10/20 at 10:25 am

I found it weird being that of an older generation myself.

They're just having fun with their looks.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/10/20 at 10:35 am

A social media app mostly inhabited by teenagers which enables them to record around 15-second videos. Common videos are people doing lip-syncing videos/duets or comedy skits. They're usually cringey imo.
Taking into account a short attention span?

Written By: wixness on 01/10/20 at 12:26 pm

Taking into account a short attention span?
That and the fact that it seems to use AI a lot to recommend videos too. One video simply plays after another, to alleviate users from having to choose the content, where they can swipe left at stuff they don't like and the AI learns from that. I prefer to avoid having to watch things in the first place.

My big issue with TikTok really comes from the fact that it's from a country that arrests political dissidents. It's also I guess from the 2010s so I probably wouldn't like it even if it didn't come from China (also part of why I avoid Instagram too, even though it comes from the US, and even if it weren't owned by Facebook), so it will have the stuff I hate from the 2010s regarding aesthetic, slang and pop culture.
TikTok has also banned pro-LGBT content for some weird reason and has gone overboard with censoring other content too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/10/20 at 12:30 pm

That and the fact that it seems to use AI a lot to recommend videos too. One video simply plays after another, to alleviate users from having to choose the content, where they can swipe left at stuff they don't like and the AI learns from that. I prefer to avoid having to watch things in the first place.

My big issue with TikTok really comes from the fact that it's from a country that arrests political dissidents. It's also I guess from the 2010s so I probably wouldn't like it even if it didn't come from China (also part of why I avoid Instagram too, even though it comes from the US, and even if it weren't owned by Facebook), so it will have the stuff I hate from the 2010s regarding aesthetic, slang and pop culture.
TikTok has also banned pro-LGBT content for some weird reason and has gone overboard with censoring other content too.

Thank you for the info, certainly one to avoid?

Written By: wixness on 01/10/20 at 12:37 pm

Yes.

Written By: 2001 on 01/10/20 at 12:40 pm

I'm not touching it. I heard it's super addictive and that's the last thing I need in my life right now.

Written By: wixness on 01/10/20 at 12:51 pm

I'm not touching it. I heard it's super addictive and that's the last thing I need in my life right now.
Yeah, the AI makes it so.

Written By: Howard on 01/10/20 at 3:54 pm

They're just having fun with their looks.

Why should they care about their looks?  ::)

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/10/20 at 4:26 pm

Why should they care about their looks?  ::)

Who doesn’t? That’s stupid.

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/11/20 at 7:12 am

Who doesn’t? That’s stupid.

I don’t. That’s shallow.

Written By: 2001 on 01/11/20 at 4:06 pm

I don’t. That’s shallow.

Kids use their looks as a form of self-expression. That's why they're latching onto terms like  "soft girl"/"soft boy" in the first place.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/11/20 at 4:15 pm

Everyone cares about how they look. It’s human nature. We’re visual animals.

Written By: Dundee on 01/12/20 at 3:49 am

VSCO/E/Soft Girls/Boys are all very 2019 stuff to me. I can't see these trends going forward into the next years, like how fidget spinners are completely unique to 2017 ;D

VSCO girls are the only of the three that would be a perfectly casual look, but it's also very gimmicky with the way they should speak for some reason?

E-girls remind me of those Harlequin costumes that were huge circa 2016/17 following Suicide Squad's popularity.

Soft girls are aping Japanese fashion standards, but can't say I dislike the cutesiness :p

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/12/20 at 4:33 am

Kids use their looks as a form of self-expression. That's why they're latching onto terms like  "soft girl"/"soft boy" in the first place.

Well exactly though - why should they care about how someone judges their self-expression? That's stupid. Whatever look they want, even if someone thinks it looks ugly or natty, is fine by me, even if I don't personally like it.

Written By: Howard on 01/12/20 at 7:06 am

Everyone cares about how they look. It’s human nature. We’re visual animals.

I care about how I look.

Written By: temaichi on 01/12/20 at 3:07 pm

Originally born in 2019 on TikTok, ”Eboys, Egirls” and “Soft boys, soft girls” are the first subcultures in becoming a trend in this decade.

On one side, “eboys/egirls” are the GenZ resurgence of the 2000’s Emo trend, but adapted to the current social media culture, they tend to include “Trap Metal” and “Lil Peep” to their tastes.

Ehhhh, i prefer 2000s Emo culture. I love Trap metal and Lil Peep a lot but the e-boys, e-girls thing is just a discount version of the Emo trend and a lot of people are fake-depressed on Tik Tok for that specific trend. One of the things that angers me the most is the amount of people that got into Lil Peep after his death claiming that they were there since the beginning. Pathetic.

Written By: wixness on 01/12/20 at 3:57 pm

Ehhhh, i prefer 2000s Emo culture. I love Trap metal and Lil Peep a lot but the e-boys, e-girls thing is just a discount version of the Emo trend and a lot of people are fake-depressed on Tik Tok for that specific trend. One of the things that angers me the most is the amount of people that got into Lil Peep after his death claiming that they were there since the beginning. Pathetic.
Same here, although I'll give a little leeway into the early 2010s since that's how I got into it.

Written By: temaichi on 01/12/20 at 4:35 pm

Same here, although I'll give a little leeway into the early 2010s since that's how I got into it.

Fair enough. That was the golden age for scene boys and scene girls.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 01/12/20 at 5:42 pm

I'll give a little leeway into the early 2010s since that's how I got into it.

It sometimes unnerves me to think of the number of similarities between the two of us.

Written By: 2001 on 01/12/20 at 7:35 pm

It sometimes unnerves me to think of the number of similarities between the two of us.

I've noticed it too ;D

Written By: goodbants on 01/12/20 at 7:37 pm

I honestly don't get why everyone is trashing on this. Yeah it's cringy, teenage culture from every decade is cringy, especially if you didn't grow up with it. I think the style is cute. I know if I were 14 now I'd probably be doing the same thing. When I was 14 I was attention-whoring on tumblr instead. Don't know why this seems so weird to people  ::)

Written By: 2001 on 01/12/20 at 7:46 pm

Eh, emo itself is an evolution of goth which was an evolution of death metal which was an evolution of hardcore punk etc. I remember a more knowledgeable user here showing me a picture of an "emo" from 1993 complete with skinny jeans ;D

In short, eboy is different enough from emo that it can carry on the torch.

Written By: temaichi on 01/12/20 at 10:15 pm

Eh, emo itself is an evolution of goth which was an evolution of death metal which was an evolution of hardcore punk etc. I remember a more knowledgeable user here showing me a picture of an "emo" from 1993 complete with skinny jeans ;D

In short, eboy is different enough from emo that it can carry on the torch.

I wouldn’t call it an evolution. I don’t mind you thinking that because i know what you are getting at but people would bite you for saying that. They have their similarities but all of them have different characteristics. You can not really compare them.

The only reason why i think E-boy/girl is a downgrade is because kids are not really going crazy with it like Goths, Scenes, and Emo kids did in the past. They are playing it safe in terms of fashion. I would not call it cringy but what i enjoyed about the past was the pure self-expression with make-up, hair, clothes, etc. It was rebellious and going againsts the norms.

Written By: 2001 on 01/12/20 at 10:47 pm

Is trap metal an actual genre?

I liked Ausländer by Rammstein but I didn't know there were other songs like it

WARNING: NSFW

pat2c33sbog

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/12/20 at 10:56 pm

I honestly don't get why everyone is trashing on this. Yeah it's cringy, teenage culture from every decade is cringy, especially if you didn't grow up with it. I think the style is cute. I know if I were 14 now I'd probably be doing the same thing. When I was 14 I was attention-whoring on tumblr instead. Don't know why this seems so weird to people  ::)

I agree. Just let the new generation do their thing.

It would be nice for them to expand their music tastes tho. Their hasn't been a legit counter culture for a while and I think music is a huge factor behind that.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/13/20 at 6:06 am

Apparently they're supposed to be love magnets to young girls with their perceived "cute looks". If both boys and girls are into this e-crap, then fine, but it's not my cup of tea.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/20 at 7:07 am

Apparently they're supposed to be love magnets to young girls with their perceived "cute looks". If both boys and girls are into this e-crap, then fine, but it's not my cup of tea.
Love magnets are not love handles?  ;D

Written By: temaichi on 01/13/20 at 9:55 am

Is trap metal an actual genre?

I liked Ausländer by Rammstein but I didn't know there were other songs like it

WARNING: NSFW

pat2c33sbog

Trap metal is an actual genre, yeah. Listen to Scarlxrd, City Morgue, and BVDLVD.

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/13/20 at 2:12 pm

Ewwww.

I want a soft boy

Check for new replies or respond here...