inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are teenagers today less rebellious?

Written By: deloresthegreat on 01/12/20 at 8:48 am

I'd say so.

Subject: Re: Are teenagers today less rebellious?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/12/20 at 8:51 am

Generally speaking, the impression I get is that today's teenagers cannot be bothered to be rebellious.

Written By: wixness on 01/12/20 at 9:21 am

Yes.
Too comfy with the convenient and legitimate but screwy ways to consume media (where you can't keep what you pay for because of digital rights management i.e. companies being overzealous with how culture even exists so they can make money off of it) when in the past, teenagers would have pirated, too gender conforming regarding how they express themselves and generally coming across as too contented with the status quo (well, until around 2016 I guess).

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/12/20 at 12:15 pm

I definitely think so. At least so far. They're even less rebellious than us Millennials.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/12/20 at 12:53 pm

They are being catered to so there's no reason to be rebellious.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/12/20 at 12:55 pm

Judging from that soft boy/soft girl business in the other topic it does not seem they are very rebellious. Of course, That isn't everybody in the demographic.

Written By: 2001 on 01/12/20 at 11:25 pm

I think they are rebellious in their own way. The climate strikes are inspiring.

Written By: 2001 on 01/12/20 at 11:34 pm

I definitely think so. At least so far. They're even less rebellious than us Millennials.

As a late 2000s and early 2010s teen I feel like I was on the precipice of that rebellious VS non-rebellious teen line. "Rebel teens" was so corporatized and fake by the 2000s and every kid was in on that image, that I felt like a rebel in my own way by not buying into it. Instead I (and eventually all of us) became a rebel in the hipster sense of the word ;D

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/13/20 at 12:19 am

They are being catered to so there's no reason to be rebellious.

This is so true.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/13/20 at 12:28 am

As a late 2000s and early 2010s teen I feel like I was on the precipice of that rebellious VS non-rebellious teen line. "Rebel teens" was so corporatized and fake by the 2000s and every kid was in on that image, that I felt like a rebel in my own way by not buying into it. Instead I (and eventually all of us) became a rebel in the hipster sense of the word ;D

Yep. It's kind of funny. After becoming a more supposedly more open-minded society, we inadvertently became more conformist.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/20 at 4:08 am

I think they are rebellious in their own way. The climate strikes are inspiring.
Once they are away from their phones?

Written By: Sman12 on 01/13/20 at 6:17 am

They're rebellious in their own way. Vaping, breaking gender norms, etc.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/13/20 at 6:22 am

Basically this.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/20 at 6:28 am

...and vaping has now been proven a risk to health and is dangerous for others as second-hand smoke.

Written By: wixness on 01/13/20 at 7:17 am

They're not doing the breaking gender norms enough but yeah, I can see with the vaping.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/13/20 at 7:46 am

I'm not sure I see how vaping is "rebellious".  If it's simply because they're smoking (albeit with a new technology) at a young age that's an awfully cliched way to rebel. If I see somebody vaping I don't think "oh look at that rebellious young thing". I see just one more person who got sucked in (no pun intended) to the corporate scam. Which, if you think about it really, is the exact opposite of rebelling.

Written By: 2001 on 01/13/20 at 7:57 am

I'm not sure I see how vaping is "rebellious".  If it's simply because they're smoking (albeit with a new technology) at a young age that's an awfully cliched way to rebel. If I see somebody vaping I don't think "oh look at that rebellious young thing". I see just one more person who got sucked in (no pun intended) to the corporate scam. Which, if you think about it really, is the exact opposite of rebelling.

I would say it's definitely rebellious. Most (all?) parents don't want their kids vaping.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/13/20 at 9:20 am

I would say it's definitely rebellious. Most (all?) parents don't want their kids vaping.

But it's such an old, trite rebellion then. What is this, the 1950s? Come up with something new. Besides, as I said, it plays right into the hands of corporate greed. These companies very purposely get young people addicted (or try their damnedest to by marketing straight to them, including playing the "cool", "rebellious" card) and then laugh all the way to the bank as you pay out more and more money to them and get sicker and sicker all the while. I'm not sure it's rebellion when you are paying out to interests of corporate greed. That's the big picture.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/13/20 at 9:30 am

But it's such an old, trite rebellion then. What is this, the 1950s? Come up with something new. Besides, as I said, it plays right into the hands of corporate greed. These companies very purposely get young people addicted (or try their damnedest to by marketing straight to them, including playing the "cool", "rebellious" card) and then laugh all the way to the bank as you pay out more and more money to them and get sicker and sicker all the while. I'm not sure it's rebellion when you are paying out to interests of corporate greed. That's the big picture.

I mean initially vaping was seen as a "safer" alternative to smoking. It's only recently that the media has exposed vaping to be just as harmful...but it's too late kids are already addicted.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/13/20 at 9:42 am

Of course, this also brings up the age old question of is it really rebelling when you are doing the exact same thing all the other "rebels" are doing? Or is it just another way of conforming? And especially in this case when all the strings are all being pulled by too-big-to-fail corporate greed. Which is as unrebellious as you can get. Supporting corporate greed. How very 1980s.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/13/20 at 9:54 am

I mean initially vaping was seen as a "safer" alternative to smoking. It's only recently that the media has exposed vaping to be just as harmful...but it's too late kids are already addicted.

You think the companies didn't know vaping was just as harmful? OF COURSE they knew. They lied. That's what bugs me, how people fall for this malarkey. You should have seen the lies that accompanied CDs when they were new. Not only did they tell us that CDs sounded better (which they don't), but that they were indestructible and would last forever. That they were not subject to the scratches and other ills of the vinyl LP. They practically came out and said you could slice cheese on CDs and then play them. Big corporations are not generally known for telling the truth.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/13/20 at 9:59 am

You think the companies didn't know vaping was just as harmful? OF COURSE they knew. They lied. That's what bugs me, how people fall for this malarkey. You should have seen the lies that accompanied CDs when they were new. Not only did they tell us that CDs sounded better (which they don't), but that they were indestructible and would last forever. That they were not subject to the scratches and other ills of the vinyl LP. They practically came out and said you could slice cheese on CDs and then play them. Big corporations are not generally known for telling the truth.

I know they were lying. I was just saying, it was marketed that way to teens and is one reason why I don't see vaping as rebellious. People believed they were choosing a safer alternative to smoking. I think it's hard for them to stop now because it's ingrained in teen culture, not because they want to rebel.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/13/20 at 10:39 am

Vaping is honestly one of the stupidest teen trends of the past decade.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/13/20 at 10:55 am

Actually, big tabacco did it's damndest to besmirch vaping but now they've gotten into the vaping game.

Written By: Howard on 01/13/20 at 3:46 pm

...and vaping has now been proven a risk to health and is dangerous for others as second-hand smoke.

and they talk about all the different flavors.

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/14/20 at 12:16 am

I think most everything they do that is rebellious is electronically.  From their computers or phones.  Stirring up trouble online, catfishing, hacking, buying things they shouldn't with money they shouldn't have access to, etc.

That and the fact that they are often not doing anything else.  In my day it was a struggle for parents to keep us in the house.  These days it's a struggle for parents to get them out of the house.  So many teens I know don't want to work or even get a driver's license.  Or do anything but just sit around all day and play online.  The modern day rebellion.

Check for new replies or respond here...