inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Philippines volcano: Thousands evacuated as Taal spews ash

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/12/20 at 10:13 am

A volcano in the Philippines has emitted a giant plume of ash, prompting authorities to order the evacuation of some 8,000 people living nearby. The plume coming from the Taal volcano, south of the capital Manila, stretched about 1km (0.6 miles) into the sky. Rumbling sounds and tremors were also reported around Taal - the Philippines' second-most active volcano - on Sunday. Authorities raised the alert level, warning that a "hazardous eruption" was possible within weeks.
The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology also warned residents living nearby of a possible "volcanic tsunami".

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/16646/production/_110481719_cee28fba-e0dd-472e-bae8-5cf550ad8354.jpg

Subject: Re: Philippines volcano: Thousands evacuated as Taal spews ash

Written By: wixness on 01/12/20 at 10:18 am

A volcano in the Philippines has emitted a giant plume of ash, prompting authorities to order the evacuation of some 8,000 people living nearby. The plume coming from the Taal volcano, south of the capital Manila, stretched about 1km (0.6 miles) into the sky. Rumbling sounds and tremors were also reported around Taal - the Philippines' second-most active volcano - on Sunday. Authorities raised the alert level, warning that a "hazardous eruption" was possible within weeks.
The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology also warned residents living nearby of a possible "volcanic tsunami".
I'm pretty sure I went near there several years ago.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/12/20 at 10:21 am

Oh no!! I was born in the Philippines and I'm scared of my country  :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/12/20 at 10:23 am

I'm pretty sure I went near there several years ago.

Oh no!! I was born in the Philippines and I'm scared of my country  :\'(
I am in shock too, for every time I visit the Philippines, I make a point of visiting my this area, for it is my favourite region.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/12/20 at 1:25 pm

That's a frightening scene to see. I hope those people evacuate safely.

Written By: 2001 on 01/12/20 at 4:18 pm

Hopefully it's not going to be a bit eruption. I remember the Icelandic one interrupted flights for a few months.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/12/20 at 5:49 pm

Hopefully it's not going to be a bit eruption. I remember the Icelandic one interrupted flights for a few months.

Yeah, it was pretty nice having skies free of planes and contrails for a while.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/20 at 10:30 am

I have been in contact with my family who live close by, they are safe, and staying indoors if they can, for Philippine towns are being covered in ash.

Written By: 2001 on 01/13/20 at 3:02 pm

I have been in contact with my family who live close by, they are safe, and staying indoors if they can, for Philippine towns are being covered in ash.

That's good to hear. But the article says that the "hazardous eruption was possible within weeks", did that one happen yet?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/20 at 3:10 pm

That's good to hear. But the article says that the "hazardous eruption was possible within weeks", did that one happen yet?
Lave has been spewing out today, I fear for an eruption.

Check for new replies or respond here...