inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Star Wars' Mark Hamill deletes Facebook account over political ads

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/20 at 2:54 pm

Star Wars actor Mark Hamill has deleted his Facebook account, lambasting the company's political ads policy. In a tweet, the celebrity accused the firm's chief Mark Zuckerberg of having valued profit over truthfulness. It followed its decision to let politicians run adverts that contain lies on the social network. The firm has said that it does not believe decisions about which political ads run should be left to private companies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51090918

Subject: Re: Star Wars' Mark Hamill deletes Facebook account over political ads

Written By: mc98 on 01/13/20 at 3:10 pm

Good! Any platform that enables fake information deserves to lose followers.

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/13/20 at 3:25 pm

Hahahahaaaaaaaa
Hahahahahaha
HahahahahahahahahahHhHhHhHHAAAAAAAAAA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/13/20 at 5:44 pm

Good! Any platform that enables fake information deserves to lose followers.

Every form of media publishes lies put forth by political campaigns. There is no way for an outlet to absolutely filter out the fake stuff. Swiftboating, Borking, Astroturfing, and Rathergates are legendary examples.

If Facebook does not want to assume the role of “arbiter of the truth” it is likely a wise decision.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/13/20 at 6:15 pm

Star Wars actor Mark Hamill has deleted his Facebook account, lambasting the company's political ads policy. In a tweet, the celebrity accused the firm's chief Mark Zuckerberg of having valued profit over truthfulness. It followed its decision to let politicians run adverts that contain lies on the social network. The firm has said that it does not believe decisions about which political ads run should be left to private companies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51090918

I hated Facebook ever since the Cambridge Analytica scandal (over 80+ million accounts were hacked by the firm for political reasons as well). I rarely only use it for family contact.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/20 at 3:55 am

I hated Facebook ever since the Cambridge Analytica scandal (over 80+ million accounts were hacked by the firm for political reasons as well). I rarely only use it for family contact.
I find myself looking and using FB less now, but I still need for contact with family and friends in all parts of the world.

Check for new replies or respond here...