inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I like the way pop music is heading

Written By: goodbants on 01/15/20 at 10:43 pm

This may be an unpopular opinion nowadays, but I like the way pop music is heading. I’m not much of a fan of today’s rap but I feel like pop has been really good in recent years. Other than Justin Bieber’s new single Yummy which is pretty atrocious. But Selena’s new album Rare is actually really good. I can hear inspiration from Billie Eilish in it, and if that starts to be the way pop is heading I’m all for it. There are great R&B artists popping up like  H.E.R. as well. It’s starting to sound more ethereal and soft in my opinion. I also love the new aesthetic and fashion. I feel like I’m the only one really digging this new stuff. There’s pop that falls too much into the mumble rap category that I don’t like but there’s also so much good stuff. I think 2020 is going to bring a lot of good things  ;D

Subject: Re: I like the way pop music is heading

Written By: Slim95 on 01/16/20 at 1:36 pm

I don't. It sounds boring and dull. Back in my day, pop music meant upbeat and catchy music.... These days if you get a song that's 90 bpm it would be considered fast and upbeat. Pretty sad if you ask me.

Anyways I just don't like it. But I respect your opinion if you do. To each their own.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/20 at 2:52 pm

I don't. It sounds boring and dull. Back in my day, pop music meant upbeat and catchy music.... These days if you get a song that's 90 bpm it would be considered fast and upbeat. Pretty sad if you ask me.

Anyways I just don't like it. But I respect your opinion if you do. To each their own.

Well Slim back in MY days, music was funky and had good beats and I'm referring to the 1985-1989 time frame.

Written By: shrinkingviolet on 01/16/20 at 2:56 pm

I hope music improves this decade. Music hasn't been that good since 1997 imo.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/16/20 at 3:05 pm

I’ve liked pop music for the past couple of years. I feel like some people try too hard to dislike current pop culture because it’s a point of pride for them to hate what most people like.

Written By: violet_shy on 01/16/20 at 3:10 pm

I promise my music will always be fun, modern, interesting, beautiful, and cheerful.

On topic now. I miss pop music from back in my days(80s, 90s.). Best music there ever was!

Written By: Slim95 on 01/16/20 at 3:11 pm

I’ve liked pop music for the past couple of years. I feel like some people try too hard to dislike current pop culture because it’s a point of pride for them to hate what most people like.

I'm certainly not. Because people hated mid 2010s pop music but I didn't. And people on here love early 2010s pop yet I despise it. I go by how it sounds and it sounds like garbage right now. I don't go by popular opinion.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/16/20 at 3:13 pm

Well Slim back in MY days, music was funky and had good beats and I'm referring to the 1985-1989 time frame.

Yes it would have been nice being alive back then.

Written By: 2001 on 01/16/20 at 3:41 pm

I listened to Selena Gomez's latest album too. It was great. VERY creative, no song sounded like a throwaway.

But I'm gonna have to agree with Slim, it was very slow-paced. I got bored listening to it about half way through. It sounds like the perfect album to listen to while you're relaxing cooking or sewing or some other relaxing activity. However, I'm usually very hyper and not calm, so I got bored.

I hope instead Lizzo-style music catches on. She is very talented. Her vocals and music are so high-energy and loud, and have a positive message. It fits my mood! :D

Written By: Sman12 on 01/16/20 at 3:58 pm

I listened to Selena Gomez's latest album too. It was great. VERY creative, no song sounded like a throwaway.

But I'm gonna have to agree with Slim, it was very slow-paced. I got bored listening to it about half way through. It sounds like the perfect album to listen to while you're relaxing cooking or sewing or some other relaxing activity. However, I'm usually very hyper and not calm, so I got bored.

I hope instead Lizzo-style music catches on. She is very talented. Her vocals and music are so high-energy and loud, and have a positive message. It fits my mood! :D4

I enjoy Lizzo's singles as well. Now if she would stop acting like a nuisance, then I would respect her more.

Written By: 2001 on 01/16/20 at 4:08 pm

I enjoy Lizzo's singles as well. Now if she would stop acting like a nuisance, then I would respect her more.

What did she do? :o

Written By: Sman12 on 01/16/20 at 5:57 pm

What did she do? :o

Various things. Here are some that I found:
*She pretty much twerked at the Lakers game with her semi-bare butt out
*She twerked near the counter at a McDonald's restaurant...where everyone was eating.

Source: https://popculture.com/music/2019/12/17/lizzo-video-of-singer-twerking-at-fast-food-counter-resurfaces-amid-latest-controversies/

Written By: goodbants on 01/16/20 at 5:58 pm

Don’t hate me but a lot of upbeat music, especially 80s music sounds cheesy to me. Just can’t really get into it. Unless it’s Michael Jackson. I love Michael Jackson.

Written By: temaichi on 01/16/20 at 6:00 pm

This may be an unpopular opinion nowadays, but I like the way pop music is heading. I’m not much of a fan of today’s rap but I feel like pop has been really good in recent years. Other than Justin Bieber’s new single Yummy which is pretty atrocious. But Selena’s new album Rare is actually really good. I can hear inspiration from Billie Eilish in it, and if that starts to be the way pop is heading I’m all for it. There are great R&B artists popping up like  H.E.R. as well. It’s starting to sound more ethereal and soft in my opinion. I also love the new aesthetic and fashion. I feel like I’m the only one really digging this new stuff. There’s pop that falls too much into the mumble rap category that I don’t like but there’s also so much good stuff. I think 2020 is going to bring a lot of good things  ;D

No wonder why Lizzo and Billie Eilish were huge last year. They were a breath of fresh air for the genre.
Do i personally like where pop music is heading to? Hell no. I would rather stick to trap music.

Written By: 2001 on 01/16/20 at 6:21 pm

*She twerked near the counter at a McDonald's restaurant...where everyone was eating.

Source: https://popculture.com/music/2019/12/17/lizzo-video-of-singer-twerking-at-fast-food-counter-resurfaces-amid-latest-controversies/

Wow, that is gross. I think she needs to stick to making good music.

Written By: temaichi on 01/16/20 at 6:22 pm

Pop music has sucked for a LONG TIME but 2017 stands out to me for some reason
If the genre can go back to sounding like this, i would be happy with that! It sounded so fresh at the time.

l7Zt5pj8BF8

Written By: goodbants on 01/16/20 at 7:16 pm

I feel like it’s almost more counterculture to like mainstream music nowadays than hate on it. Hating on today’s music has become such a cliche that liking it is considered weird. Like an anti-hipster hipster  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 01/16/20 at 7:26 pm

I feel like it’s almost more counterculture to like mainstream music nowadays than hate on it. Hating on today’s music has become such a cliche that liking it is considered weird. Like an anti-hipster hipster  ;D

That happened more towards the late 2000s/early 2010s, I think.

In the 1960s-2000s, people defined your personality in terms of your music choice. In the 2000s, there were the punkers, the goths, the emos, the rap kids, the indie artsy kids, the metalheads, the country kids, and the party people (who listened to pop). If a dude was caught listening to Britney Spears it would be the end of him. Towards the early 2010s though we started getting the "I don't have a favourite genre, I like everything!" types. We can thank the iPod for making music more "personal", instead of having kids share their CDs/tapes and go to concerts together and forming cliques.

Written By: goodbants on 01/16/20 at 7:36 pm

In the 1960s-2000s, people defined your personality in terms of your music choice. In the 2000s, there were the punkers, the goths, the emos, the rap kids, the indie artsy kids, the metalheads, the country kids, and the party people (who listened to pop). If a dude was caught listening to Britney Spears it would be the end of him. Towards the early 2010s though we started getting the "I don't have a favourite genre, I like everything!" types. We can thank the iPod for making music more "personal", instead of having kids share their CDs/tapes and go to concerts together and forming cliques.

In the early 2010s the hipster movement was going strong, though. That was the height of “I listen to obscure songs on vinyl and go to coffee shops cause I’m cool and different.” I think that’s because that was around the time where it became really easy to find underground stuff on the internet. So yeah, that was the backlash to the idea you should only listen to a specific type of music and dress a certain type of way. People wanted to break the norm. Ironically, “hipster” itself became conformity and now people are finding it ok to like mainstream stuff again. Blatant individualism is almost becoming cliche with the whole “I’m not like other girls” thing.

Written By: wixness on 01/16/20 at 8:05 pm

I just hope DRM-free downloads remain a thing, i.e. like how one can download songs in a source like Bandcamp, Amazon, Google Play or what I've recently discovered, Qobuz.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/17/20 at 1:16 am

Wow. From what you said, the 2000s looked like it was the peak of school cliques.

Written By: Mascot on 01/17/20 at 9:44 am

My favorite eras for Pop Music would have to be the 1960s for Motown Sound Soul, 1980s for New Jack Swing, Boogie, & City Pop. 2000s for Pop Punk, Bubblegum Dance, Teen Pop, and Electro Pop. I don't have any genres that I liked that were in the "Pop music" category in the 2010s as stuff like Chill Hop or Electro Swing weren't Pop Radio songs.

Seeing as we're in only the first month of this decade I don't really see current music as a hint as to what music will be. I say give it more time for people to experiment as well as tire out of the old late 10's trends.

Written By: shrinkingviolet on 01/17/20 at 12:31 pm

My favorite eras for Pop Music would have to be the 1960s for Motown Sound Soul, 1980s for New Jack Swing, Boogie, & City Pop. 2000s for Pop Punk, Bubblegum Dance, Teen Pop, and Electro Pop. I don't have any genres that I liked that were in the "Pop music" category in the 2010s as stuff like Chill Hop or Electro Swing weren't Pop Radio songs.

Seeing as we're in only the first month of this decade I don't really see current music as a hint as to what music will be. I say give it more time for people to experiment as well as tire out of the old late 10's trends.

New Jack Swing, rock, and Jazz need to make a comeback.

Written By: Mascot on 01/17/20 at 1:24 pm

New Jack Swing, rock, and Jazz need to make a comeback.

Each one of them can't come back for specific reasons that prevented them from coming back in the past. The quick sum up is that they all get seen as old, outdated, or tiring.

New Jack Swing was created in the 80s and was had its popularity wane in the early 90s along with the rest of the late 80s holdovers that lingered in the early 90s. You also backlash against the genre from both major artists as well as general audiences. From the artists point of view (mainly the Hip Hop artists) they didn't like how the genre seemed to have overly commercialized hip hop (seeing as how NJS has Hip Hop elements) and how the sound of NJS seemed pretty outdated by the music standards of the time (an 80's centric genre in 1993 seemed weird, I guess). The general audience were just sick of New Jack Swing due to how quickly it got popular and just got bored of the sound. Similar to Disco or Teen Pop people had noticed how over saturated the genre was and also were pushing a 1980s cultural backlash which removed New Jack Swing. New Jack Swing only seems to exist now in nostalgia throwbacks, but these never become staples of contemporary pop cultural trends.

The thing with Jazz is that it existed before Pop music. Pop music is popular/hip music, right? Most people relate Jazz to "old timey easy listening music". They'd never put it in the same circle as actual hip sounding music oddly enough. Now there was attempts such as the Swing Revival or Jazz Rap in the 1990s, but people always bring up how in these genres Jazz is usually combined with already popular/hip genres of the era. And on top of that Swing Revival didn't last very long and Jazz Rap was largely underground in terms of popularity. We do have Electro Swing, but it only had any success in Europe while in America it was largely an online phenomenon.

As for Rock?!?!?! Errr,  ???... I'm not the biggest man on Rock history. I do recall coming across a statement on how in the 10s Rock was declining due to becoming stale and have no new genres that can push it onward. I don't know how true this is since I was largely unaware of Rock music in the 10s. Hopefully the 20s will give us something new.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 01/18/20 at 12:27 am

I agree with you all the way, goodbants. I love today's music. The 2000s (specifically 2001-2011-ish) is my least favorite musical decade since the birth of rock and roll in the 50s. 2000s entertainment in general was a steep decline from the 90s. (Music tanked, Nickelodeon tanked, MTV tanked, VH1 eventually tanked).

Circa 2001, popular music started to go in a direction that I didn't really dig. This coincided with my introduction to classic rock, begat by Styx of all bands. (Long story short, I only knew of "Mr. Roboto" from the VW commercial, and of Styx from Big Daddy. Then one day in October 2000, their Greatest Hits CD from 1995 appeared out of nowhere at Walmart.) I guess it was more I found classic rock more intriguing than most new pop music. As soon as pop moved away from NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, and O-Town, about the only artist I could rely on was Britney. I did return from exile when James Blunt released "You're Beautiful" and Daniel Powter released "Bad Day." (Neither song aged well.)

I was very surprised in 2011 to find that pop music was improving. The whole decade, it seemed to be a pop music renaissance. There were still artists I wasn't on board with (Justin Bieber -- though I did give him "I Don't Care"; I warmed up to Miley Cyrus when she released "Slide Away"; I've warmed up to Eminem; Usher's "Yeah" aged better than I thought; I didn't care for One Direction, together or solo; Kanye), but for the most part, good stuff.

Some of my favorite 2010s artists include:

Popular:
Halsey
Daya
Billie Eilish
BTS
Lizzo
The Weeknd
Ellie Goulding
Selena Gomez
Camila Cabello
Shawn Mendes
Charlie Puth
Ed Sheeran
Ariana Grande
Sam Smith
Adele
Post-country Taylor
John Legend
Meghan Trainor
Iggy Azalea

More obscure/indie:
Bahari
Ruth B
Melanie Martinez
Lauv
Eden xo
John Carpenter (Yes, that John Carpenter)

Written By: shrinkingviolet on 01/18/20 at 11:35 am

I will say 2010s music was better than 2000s music. I just hope music goes in a better direction this decade.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/18/20 at 2:45 pm

I’m so glad I’m not the only one! I agree, music did start to get better around 2011. 2011-2013 music will always have a place in my heart. Maybe it’s because that was the height of my formative years, but there were so many bops. Royals, We Are Young, Radioactive, Pumped Up Kicks, Thrift Shop, Just Give Me a Reason, Sail, and Get Lucky are some of my favorites.

That period is the CORE of my childhood.  :)

Written By: 2001 on 01/18/20 at 3:01 pm

I will say 2010s music was better than 2000s music. I just hope music goes in a better direction this decade.

2010s was a decent decade for music overall. I think things will get better in the 2020s, the music industry is expanding, and Spotify's AI is getting better at recommending me music ;D

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/18/20 at 3:05 pm

This is so trashy and gross. I’m all for body positivity and what not but I don’t think its very classy to be shaking your bare butt in front of a cashier who serves food to tons of people a day. That is not cool... 

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/18/20 at 3:08 pm

I LOVE 80’s pop music. 90’s pop was ok, I love Ace of Base. I mainly liked pop rock from the late 90’s and early 2000’s the most. The teen pop craze was my early childhood in the early 2000’s and I’m nostalgic for that era right now. It has a feel good feeling to it and it takes me back to a time that was simple for me. As far as today’s pop music I haven’t been to up to date with it. I like Ariana Grande’s stuff (but prefer still Mariah Carey). The pop music today doesn’t have a feel good vibe it anymore like it did when I was younger

Written By: 2001 on 01/18/20 at 3:22 pm

I LOVE 80’s pop music. 90’s pop was ok, I love Ace of Base. I mainly liked pop rock from the late 90’s and early 2000’s the most. The teen pop craze was my early childhood in the early 2000’s and I’m nostalgic for that era right now. It has a feel good feeling to it and it takes me back to a time that was simple for me. As far as today’s pop music I haven’t been to up to date with it. I like Ariana Grande’s stuff (but prefer still Mariah Carey). The pop music today doesn’t have a feel good vibe it anymore like it did when I was younger

Stop worrying about butt scandals and listen to Lizzo. It's feel-good as ever!

QnIbJi_jWII

Written By: Howard on 01/18/20 at 3:53 pm

This is so trashy and gross. I’m all for body positivity and what not but I don’t think its very classy to be shaking your bare butt in front of a cashier who serves food to tons of people a day. That is not cool...

It will turn customers away so fast.

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/19/20 at 12:20 am

Pop culture took a dive after 2012 and had only began recovering in the last few months. The 2010s have been awful especially in the music department.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/19/20 at 12:28 am

Pop culture took a dive after 2012 and had only began recovering in the last few months. The 2010s have been awful especially in the music department.

Pop culture has in no way been improving in the couple months and pop culture did not take a dive in 2012. It was bad in 2012 but it started improving in 2013 then sucked again in late 2015/early 2016 then even worse in with no point of return in late 2017.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/20/20 at 12:42 am

Stop worrying about butt scandals and listen to Lizzo. It's feel-good as ever!

QnIbJi_jWII

I have to admit that was pretty lovely !

Check for new replies or respond here...