inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Invent a 2020's Music Genre

Written By: Mascot on 01/17/20 at 4:20 pm

New decade means new kinds of music. Try and make a genre with a new sound that hasn't been heard before in any other genre. Most genres are either REALLY experimental, a new genre that mixes old sounds with new sounds, or some that are just wacky.

I'm waiting for someone to make a wacky genre that mixes Trap, Ragtime, and House together.

Subject: Re: Invent a 2020's Music Genre

Written By: Sman12 on 01/17/20 at 8:51 pm

A neo-soul and nu-jazz fusion which I would like to call neotronica.

Primary characteristics: Synthesizers, 808s, trumpets, saxophones, guitars, keyboards, electric pianos, soulful vocals/raps, samples, and bass guitars.

I've recently listened to songs from both genres and I feel like the genres can coalesce each other quite well.

Written By: violet_shy on 01/17/20 at 9:14 pm

I would probably experiment a little. And try to come up with a new type of Dance music mixed in with Ambient music. It would probably be called DanceAm and the sound would totally go with the times.

Written By: goodbants on 01/17/20 at 10:51 pm

I want something that is like lofi but a little bit more upbeat. That might be interesting. If you search lofi beats on YouTube and speed it up a little it’s such a bop

Written By: 2001 on 01/18/20 at 5:26 am

Emo country
Grunge country
Dubstep rap
Glam EDM
Rap 'N' Roll

I ran out of ideas.

Written By: Howard on 01/18/20 at 3:55 pm

Funk and Disco  ;D

Written By: exodus08 on 01/18/20 at 4:55 pm

Euro dance and Bubblegum pop

Written By: Sman12 on 01/18/20 at 5:33 pm

Emo country
Grunge country
Dubstep rap
Glam EDM
Rap 'N' Roll

I ran out of ideas.

I'm actually quite curious as to how Glam EDM would sound like. Probably crap, but still something to think about.  ;D

Written By: Mascot on 01/18/20 at 5:34 pm

All interesting ideas, y'all. Well except Howard. Howard is the personification of Old school. 8)

A neo-soul and nu-jazz fusion which I would like to call neotronica.

Primary characteristics: Synthesizers, 808s, trumpets, saxophones, guitars, keyboards, electric pianos, soulful vocals/raps, samples, and bass guitars.

I've recently listened to songs from both genres and I feel like the genres can coalesce each other quite well.

Pop music hasn't been soulful since Neo Soul disappeared. So a new soul inspired genre is something I can vibe with.

I would probably experiment a little. And try to come up with a new type of Dance music mixed in with Ambient music. It would probably be called DanceAm and the sound would totally go with the times.

I imagine 20s version of club and rave style music. Experimental, but addictive once the sounds become realized.

I want something that is like lofi but a little bit more upbeat. That might be interesting. If you search lofi beats on YouTube and speed it up a little it’s such a bop

So like Jungle/Drum and Bass, but with lofi elements??

Emo country
Grunge country
Dubstep rap
Glam EDM
Rap 'N' Roll

I ran out of ideas.

Rap N Roll.... the new rock sound of the 20s right here, folks.  8) I need to hear this myself.

Written By: Mascot on 01/18/20 at 5:43 pm

I'd probably make something that is a combination of Funk, Soul, Dance Pop, Gospel, Jazz, and EDM.  Funky percussion, Soulful lyrics, Gospel elements such as upbeat tone, call and response, and a choir/chorus, Jazz/Brass melodies, and additional EDM elements thrown in to help fit with the times. All wrapped up in a Dance Pop format.

I'll call it "Soul Jam".  8) For me the biggest challenge is making something I'd like to hear while also making it feel modern.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/18/20 at 7:45 pm

One where they don't use auto tune editing to death. Imagine that, artists using their natural voices and talent! Daring isn't it?  ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/18/20 at 8:02 pm

Interesting that everything everyone is coming up with here is simply a hodegpodge of already existing things. "We'll take 80s this and mix it with swing that and throw in emo, etc etc". That's not new, it's just an updated  mixture of recognizable old. If it's something truly NEW it can't even be talked about here because it doesn't have a name yet. We'll know it when it comes (IF it comes) and it will be revolutionary. But who knows if it will come. It goes back to the other topics recently under discussion here about "are young people rebellious enough" and "is creativity being stifled because young people have their face in their phones all the time". Because if it comes it will be from the young. And they will have to be burning with creative passion.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/18/20 at 8:50 pm

Interesting that everything everyone is coming up with here is simply a hodegpodge of already existing things. "We'll take 80s this and mix it with swing that and throw in emo, etc etc". That's not new, it's just an updated  mixture of recognizable old. If it's something truly NEW it can't even be talked about here because it doesn't have a name yet. We'll know it when it comes (IF it comes) and it will be revolutionary. But who knows if it will come. It goes back to the other topics recently under discussion here about "are young people rebellious enough" and "is creativity being stifled because young people have their face in their phones all the time". Because if it comes it will be from the young. And they will have to be burning with creative passion.

Tbh, there really hasn't a revolutionary new genre for decades now. Everything that's popular in the music industry nowadays and even in the past are mixtures of multiple genre elements. ;D

Written By: Sman12 on 01/18/20 at 8:57 pm

Rap N Roll.... the new rock sound of the 20s right here, folks.  8) I need to hear this myself.

Rap is pretty much the new Rock N' Roll. It overtook rock back in 2017 as the most consumed music genre for the first time ever. If cultural dynamics continue like this, rap will probably dominate the musical landscape for several years. Maybe even decades.

Written By: Mascot on 01/18/20 at 9:06 pm

Tbh, there really hasn't a revolutionary new genre for decades now. Everything that's popular in the music industry nowadays and even in the past are mixtures of multiple genre elements. I think we might run out of ideas soon. ;D

What Sman12 said. For decades all music has just been a mix of genres that already existed.
Jazz was a mix of Blues, Ragtime, and folk music.
R&B combined Jazz, Gospel, and Blues.
Soul Music is a mix of R&B, Jazz, and Gospel.
Funk music is a mix of Soul, R&B, and Jazz.
Disco is a mix of Funk and Soul fused with Psychedelia and Pop.
Hip Hop started as just simply rapping over Funk, Jazz, and Disco records.
When disco died it became Boogie/Post Disco which in themselves took a lot of Disco elements with them.
New Jack Swing mixed Hip Hop, R&B, Funk, Jazz, Soul, and House together.
Hip Hop Soul is literally just New Jack Swing, but with more emphasis on Soul and R&B with Hip Hop Beats.
Neo-Soul is a massive hodgepodge of Urban/African American Music genres. 

For decades since the early 20th century (and a little earlier) all new music genres are just preceding music genres, but with a few new twists such as new experimental ideas or just combining the with older sounds. Music has never been 100% new. It's just been updated. Some like Rock and Roll started by simply combining Boogie woogie, country, jazz, blues, and swing and MANY other pre-existing sounds into one.

Written By: Mascot on 01/18/20 at 9:11 pm

One where they don't use auto tune editing to death. Imagine that, artists using their natural voices and talent! Daring isn't it?  ;D

Give it another 20 years. Soon We'll be having A.I. programs that does all the singing for us. We'd just have to write lyrics into a computer and it'll do all the singing. We'll remove the "natural" from the music and make it all auto-tuned 100%.  8)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/18/20 at 9:39 pm

All right. As soon as I get my laptop up and running again I'll start working on it.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/19/20 at 7:18 am

All interesting ideas, y'all. Well except Howard. Howard is the personification of Old school. 8)

Pop music hasn't been soulful since Neo Soul disappeared. So a new soul inspired genre is something I can vibe with.

I imagine 20s version of club and rave style music. Experimental, but addictive once the sounds become realized.

So like Jungle/Drum and Bass, but with lofi elements??

I just can't get out of that retro bubble.

Written By: Howard on 01/19/20 at 7:20 am

Country & Rap
Country & Funk
Country & Disco

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/19/20 at 10:07 am

Country & Rap
Country & Funk
Country & Disco

Country & Rap = C-rap.  ;D

Written By: violet_shy on 01/19/20 at 10:15 am

I'd probably make something that is a combination of Funk, Soul, Dance Pop, Gospel, Jazz, and EDM.  Funky percussion, Soulful lyrics, Gospel elements such as upbeat tone, call and response, and a choir/chorus, Jazz/Brass melodies, and additional EDM elements thrown in to help fit with the times. All wrapped up in a Dance Pop format.

I'll call it "Soul Jam".  8) For me the biggest challenge is making something I'd like to hear while also making it feel modern.

That sounds interesting! I'd like to listen to that something different.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/19/20 at 1:51 pm

Country & Rap = C-rap.  ;D

Country Rap already exists.

A few years ago, a tour bus of "Country Rappers" stopped off at the local Wal-Mart parking lot, hawking their latest CD.  I bought a copy out of respect for their hustle.

I then listened to it.  it SUCKED.  8-P

Written By: 2001 on 01/19/20 at 1:56 pm

A few years ago, a tour bus of "Country Rappers" stopped off at the local Wal-Mart parking lot, hawking their latest CD.  I bought a copy out of respect for their hustle.

I think the most popular song of 2019 was a country rap song Old Town Road by Lil Nax S.

w2Ov5jzm3j8

Music starts at 1:30

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/19/20 at 2:55 pm

I think the most popular song of 2019 was a country rap song Old Town Road by Lil Nax S.

w2Ov5jzm3j8

Music starts at 1:30

I rest my case.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/19/20 at 3:32 pm

I rest my case.

FYI, "The Git Up" by Blanco Brown is an inferior version of this song. It just screams RIP-OFF to me.  8-P

Written By: Howard on 01/19/20 at 3:33 pm

How about Country and Jazz?

Written By: Mascot on 01/19/20 at 8:14 pm

Country mixed with Jump Blues. For those of you who don't know what Jump Blues is it's essentially a mix of Big Band Swing, Boogie Woogie, and Blues. It's supposed to be a more "get up and join the party" style of Blues.

Here is an example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMzPQWdA5Zs

All decades are musically interesting when they got a huge list of new genres created in them. If all of us were to just to get started on any wacky music styles that we can think of then I'd say this would it'd be a fun time for all of us.

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/20 at 1:30 pm

I've wanted a jazz revival for a long time, and if comes back in the form of country jazz I think I'm officially cursed.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/20/20 at 1:43 pm

There was kind of a country/jazz hybrid starting in the 1930's called Western Swing, popularized by Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeMWfjWe_dY

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/20/20 at 1:49 pm

Country mixed with Jump Blues. For those of you who don't know what Jump Blues is it's essentially a mix of Big Band Swing, Boogie Woogie, and Blues. It's supposed to be a more "get up and join the party" style of Blues.

Here is an example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMzPQWdA5Zs

All decades are musically interesting when they got a huge list of new genres created in them. If all of us were to just to get started on any wacky music styles that we can think of then I'd say this would it'd be a fun time for all of us.

Really, jump blues was more or less the transition between big band swing and rock and roll. It's a cool yet largely forgotten era of music.

Written By: Howard on 01/20/20 at 3:27 pm

Maybe Country and Auto-Tune?  ;D

Written By: xenzue on 01/20/20 at 5:10 pm

Maybe not exactly Country and Jazz but it counts for something:

6Mm9ae_qg9I

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/20 at 5:20 pm

Maybe not exactly Country and Jazz but it counts for something:

6Mm9ae_qg9I

I felt like that was just country. But it's also the ONLY country song I ever liked, so you might be onto something..

Written By: Mascot on 01/20/20 at 7:08 pm

Maybe Country and Auto-Tune?  ;D

https://media.giphy.com/media/ac7MA7r5IMYda/giphy.gif

Real talk I'm surprised Auto-Tune isn't gone yet. Figured it was just a late 00s/10s fad. I didn't mind it in the late 2000s since it helped fit with the "Electro Pop" vibe as well as fit in with EDM's grip on the mainstream. But as Electro Pop faded and EDM lost some ground in popularity over the years I figured Auto-Tune would go away.

Written By: violet_shy on 01/20/20 at 8:41 pm

Ok what about: Ambient and Jazz. Can you all imagine what kind of music that would be?  ;D Wouldn't sound good to me.

Written By: exodus08 on 01/20/20 at 10:55 pm

Euro dance and nu metal

Written By: Sman12 on 01/21/20 at 6:23 am

Ok what about: Ambient and Jazz. Can you all imagine what kind of music that would be?  ;D Wouldn't sound good to me.

I can definitely f with ambient jazz.

Written By: Howard on 01/21/20 at 7:03 am

https://media.giphy.com/media/ac7MA7r5IMYda/giphy.gif

Real talk I'm surprised Auto-Tune isn't gone yet. Figured it was just a late 00s/10s fad. I didn't mind it in the late 2000s since it helped fit with the "Electro Pop" vibe as well as fit in with EDM's grip on the mainstream. But as Electro Pop faded and EDM lost some ground in popularity over the years I figured Auto-Tune would go away.

Why is auto-tune even a genre anyway?

Written By: Howard on 01/21/20 at 7:03 am

How about Funk And Metal?

Written By: Mascot on 01/22/20 at 8:11 am

Why is auto-tune even a genre anyway?

It's not so much a genre, I think. Think it's just a common production technique, however, with how much Auto-Tune can easily change how a song sounds it might as well be Auto-Tune.

I'm surprised singers use it unironically these days.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/22/20 at 10:59 am

How about Funk And Metal?

Already a thing. Red Hot Chili Peppers incorporate funk and metal styles in their music.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/22/20 at 11:06 am

Pop music with a classical music touch.

For instance, Let It Go (Disney's "Frozen") Vivaldi's Winter by The Piano Guys

6Dakd7EIgBE

Written By: exodus08 on 01/22/20 at 4:59 pm

6Dakd7EIgBE

Let It Go is so 2010s  ::)

Written By: 2001 on 01/22/20 at 5:26 pm

6Dakd7EIgBE

There are YouTubers that do this. I follow one that plays pop songs on a flute.

zKTS95KOrOI

Written By: Howard on 01/23/20 at 7:52 am

It's not so much a genre, I think. Think it's just a common production technique, however, with how much Auto-Tune can easily change how a song sounds it might as well be Auto-Tune.

I'm surprised singers use it unironically these days.

But it's quite annoying, don't you think?

Written By: Mascot on 01/24/20 at 8:20 pm

But it's quite annoying, don't you think?

Well hey I never said I liked it.  ;D Putting a filter over your own voice is awful. I already couldn't stand 10's music in terms of the instrumentals. The vocals is a whole separate topic of frustration for me.

Written By: Howard on 01/25/20 at 4:16 pm

Well hey I never said I liked it.  ;D Putting a filter over your own voice is awful. I already couldn't stand 10's music in terms of the instrumentals. The vocals is a whole separate topic of frustration for me.

And that's why I prefer oldies music.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/27/20 at 2:56 pm

I don't know as long as they keep lo-fi, bedroom pop, EDM, trap, and other boring 2010s genres in the 2010s, I'm good with whatever genre as long as it doesn't sound bad. Upbeat genres would cool and it's about time (no pun intended).

Written By: Sman12 on 01/27/20 at 6:38 pm

I don't know as long as they keep lo-fi, bedroom pop, EDM, trap, and other boring 2010s genres in the 2010s, I'm good with whatever genre as long as it doesn't sound bad. Upbeat genres would cool and it's about time (no pun intended).

I feel like trap music in particular has hit its apex by this point, similar to how hair metal became redundant by the late 80s and early 90s. Trap's been a cultural force for over 10+ years from the T.I. and Jeezy days to mainstream pop dominance now.

Will trap become interrupted by a new sound of rap soon? Most likely. But rap isn't going away anytime soon. It's now the de facto popular music genre, and will be reinvented throughout the years just like how rock n' roll has been reinvented before declining in popularity around the late 2000s and early 2010s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/20 at 3:38 am

Let It Go is so 2010s  ::)
That may be so, I was portraying the style of music.

Check for new replies or respond here...