inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: People still want plastic bottles, says Coca-Cola

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/20 at 4:11 pm

Coca-Cola will not ditch single-use plastic bottles because consumers still want them, the firm's head of sustainability has told the BBC. Customers like them because they reseal and are lightweight, said Bea Perez. The firm, which is one of the world's biggest plastic waste polluters, has pledged to recycle as many plastic bottles as it uses by 2030. But environmental campaigners argue many Coke bottles would still go uncollected and end up in landfill.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51197463

Subject: Re: People still want plastic bottles, says Coca-Cola

Written By: wixness on 01/21/20 at 5:04 pm

Companies are some of the best propagandists out there. Heck, Electronic Arts convinced the UK to not ban gambling in computer games!
Personally I do prefer bottles to cans but more should be done in case people can't or won't recycle.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/21/20 at 5:30 pm

Go with the re-sealable aluminum bottles.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/20 at 5:32 pm

Personally I do prefer bottles to cans but more should be done in case people can't or won't recycle.

I prefer glass bottles to plastic, the glass does not mar the taste of the liquid inside the bottle.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/21/20 at 5:37 pm

I prefer glass bottles to plastic, the glass does not mar the taste of the liquid inside the bottle.

I wonder why all the soda companies did away with all the returnable glass bottles they used up until about 40 years ago. They ought to go back to that. They could even have electronic kiosks that could refund your deposit when you insert your empty glass bottles.

Written By: 2001 on 01/21/20 at 5:41 pm

I wonder why all the soda companies did away with all the returnable glass bottles they used up until about 40 years ago. They ought to go back to that. They could even have electronic kiosks that could refund your deposit when you insert your empty glass bottles.

They still use those in some countries but not North America for some reason.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/21/20 at 6:14 pm

I suspect one reason is glass bottles get smashed fairly often.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/21/20 at 6:18 pm

Yet beer comes in non returnable glass bottles.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/21/20 at 6:20 pm

Yet beer comes in non returnable glass bottles.

True, and I see broken beer bottles pretty often.

I’d support a return to glass bottles but I can see the rationale behind moving away from them in the past.

Written By: 2001 on 01/21/20 at 6:36 pm

They can just sell them in bags like how milk is sold.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/21/20 at 8:39 pm

There really is no easy way out for sodas, are there? Coke and the rest of these soda companies should just drop the "green" moniker since aluminum can't really be produced without leaving a carbon footprint and glass bottles can easily break.

Written By: wixness on 01/21/20 at 8:59 pm

There really is no easy way out for sodas, are there? Coke and the rest of these soda companies should just drop the "green" moniker since aluminum can't really be produced without leaving a carbon footprint and glass bottles can easily break.
Good point but I guess we all love our caffeine, sugar and carbonated water cocktail fix.
It's a safety hazard at best or a weapon almost akin to acid at worst (causing long-lasting damage). Considering the large amount of knife crime that takes place in the UK, if glass bottles were commonplace, it would be a disaster.

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/21/20 at 9:50 pm

If they go to glass then I won't buy them.  I don't want to deal with broken glass from dropped bottles.  I'll just drink another brand.  If they all go glass, I'll refill a plastic water bottle from a 2 liter.  Actually my dad has done that for as long as I can remember.

I don't have to worry about beer bottles because I don't drink alcohol.  It's not so bad for beer as it is legally only for adults who are responsible for themselves.  I don't mind my kid having a soda once in awhile and I wouldn't want her getting seriously injured by dropping a glass soda bottle.

Oh I just remembered she's 18 now but still, sometimes I still go on autopilot to that frame of mind. :)

Written By: 2001 on 01/21/20 at 10:08 pm

If they go to glass then I won't buy them.  I don't want to deal with broken glass from dropped bottles.  I'll just drink another brand.  If they all go glass, I'll refill a plastic water bottle from a 2 liter.  Actually my dad has done that for as long as I can remember.

I don't have to worry about beer bottles because I don't drink alcohol.  It's not so bad for beer as it is legally only for adults who are responsible for themselves.  I don't mind my kid having a soda once in awhile and I wouldn't want her getting seriously injured by dropping a glass soda bottle.

Oh I just remembered she's 18 now but still, sometimes I still go on autopilot to that frame of mind. :)

When were glass bottles phased out in the US? I remember drinking Coke in a glass bottle when I was a kid whenever I vacationed in Asia and I didn't get hurt. I'm sure kids in the 1950s/1960s US didn't hurt themselves either.

What was cool to me was that pop was sold in crates like this ;D

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/pepsico-crate-is-stacked-up-above-a-cocacola-co-crate-at-a-roadside-picture-id103927983?s=2048x2048

Also refilling single-use plastic bottles is a big no no. Chemicals from the plastic leak into the water/drink if left long enough. You should get a proper reusable bottle.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/21/20 at 11:50 pm

Considering the large amount of knife crime that takes place in the UK, if glass bottles were commonplace, it would be a disaster.

You don't have glass beer or whiskey or wine bottles there?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/22/20 at 2:56 am

Are brown coloured bottles harder to be re-used, washed out, can easily be used again?

Written By: Howard on 01/22/20 at 4:54 am

Go with the re-sealable aluminum bottles.

How about the aluminum cans? ???

Written By: Howard on 01/22/20 at 4:55 am

That's probably one reason, plastic doesn't.

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/22/20 at 11:14 am

I remember drinking Coke in a glass bottle when I was a kid whenever I vacationed in Asia and I didn't get hurt. I'm sure kids in the 1950s/1960s US didn't hurt themselves either.

I agree and I wish it was still that way.  But these days brings the CPS when you take your kid to the ER, or a lawsuit if someone gets hurt on the glass from a bottle you or your kid dropped.  Not here to make a big political discussion, just saying there are many good reasons for plastic bottles these days.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/22/20 at 11:33 am

I remember the old pop machines with glass bottles where you put your money in, opened a door, and pulled out the bottle you wanted.

Maybe it's just me, but I almost think pop tasted better back when it was bottled at local plants with real sugar.

http://p2.la-img.com/634/11556/2974799_1_l.jpg

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/22/20 at 12:20 pm

Plenty of drinks come in resealable glass bottles, or metal bottles. There was a special edition of Coke and Sprite that came in metal bottles a few years ago. I say bring glass back, to hell with if it's cheaper.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/22/20 at 11:38 pm

A lot of people say glass bottle coke tastes better than plastic bottle coke but I don't buy it... I suppose plastic tastes better than both canned and fountain at the least. Either way, doesn't really matter too much. Plastic is still recyclable, no reason not to use it.

Written By: Howard on 01/23/20 at 7:35 am

I remember the old pop machines with glass bottles where you put your money in, opened a door, and pulled out the bottle you wanted.

Maybe it's just me, but I almost think pop tasted better back when it was bottled at local plants with real sugar.

http://p2.la-img.com/634/11556/2974799_1_l.jpg

I think I remember those machines, when were they around?  ???

Written By: Howard on 01/23/20 at 7:48 am

Plenty of drinks come in resealable glass bottles, or metal bottles. There was a special edition of Coke and Sprite that came in metal bottles a few years ago. I say bring glass back, to hell with if it's cheaper.

I like glass bottles, they're recyclable.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/23/20 at 10:04 am

And collectible. I used to collect old Sobe bottles and Arizona tea bottles when they were glass.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/23/20 at 11:15 am

There was one in the basement of the bank in my town (which was used for Scouting events and other things) as late as the early 1980s. I think it was 35 cents for a pop.

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/23/20 at 11:17 am

I had forgotten about it but I remember one of those machines on the street of my town between the gas station and the bank in the early 80s.  My town was only 400 people.

Interesting it is priced 65 cents.  The Pepsi machine at my work is priced 60 cents and has been for over 10 years.  I guess I should feel lucky.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/23/20 at 12:06 pm

Plastic bottles are recyclable too though...

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/23/20 at 12:35 pm

Plastic bottles are recyclable too though...

Are they actually recycling plastic though? I saw a report on 60 Minutes last year saying that they don't recycle plastic in the US, they just ship all the plastic trash over to China and Vietnam and they end up just dumping most of it into the ocean anyway.

Written By: fusefan on 01/23/20 at 1:06 pm

A lot of people say glass bottle coke tastes better than plastic bottle coke but I don't buy it... I suppose plastic tastes better than both canned and fountain at the least. Either way, doesn't really matter too much. Plastic is still recyclable, no reason not to use it.

I think it has to do with older people who have nostalgia drinking out of glass bottles when they were younger...

Personally, I think fountain coke tastes the best. You know those freestyle fountain machines with the touch screens with all the different coke flavors? As for packaging I prefer bottles (plastic or glass) over cans.

Some beer companies use aluminum bottles so I can see coke using those.

Written By: Howard on 01/23/20 at 2:18 pm

And collectible. I used to collect old Sobe bottles and Arizona tea bottles when they were glass.

My Brother used to collect old Coke bottles many years ago and stored most of them in the kitchen cabinet.

Written By: Howard on 01/23/20 at 2:20 pm

There was one in the basement of the bank in my town (which was used for Scouting events and other things) as late as the early 1980s. I think it was 35 cents for a pop.

God, How I remember when soda from the machines were cheap now they range now from a dollar to $1.25.

Written By: Howard on 01/23/20 at 2:23 pm

I think it has to do with older people who have nostalgia drinking out of glass bottles when they were younger...

Personally, I think fountain coke tastes the best. You know those freestyle fountain machines with the touch screens with all the different coke flavors? As for packaging I prefer bottles (plastic or glass) over cans.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/qVvH_GbdQoo/maxresdefault.jpg

Fuse, Do you mean this one?

Written By: Sman12 on 01/23/20 at 3:51 pm

Coincidentally, I worked at a restaurant where they had those freestyle fountain machines. Most times, they were faulty, and stocking ice into them was a KILLER. I still think that standard soda machines are quicker to dispense because of the tabs underneath the soda caps, but I understand that the freestyle machines are supposed to be "forward-thinking" with the various options.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/23/20 at 4:02 pm

Any beverage ABSOLUTELY tastes better out of glass than out of plastic. It just does. It's a crisp clean taste. I think it might have something to do with the texture also. Glass is just an all around better sensory experience. And it goes without saying that glass tastes better than out of an aluminum can, which is the worst. All you taste is the can!

Written By: 2001 on 01/23/20 at 4:34 pm

Coke doesn't use recycled plastic bottles. They do however recycle their glass bottles.

Any beverage ABSOLUTELY tastes better out of glass than out of plastic. It just does. It's a crisp clean taste. I think it might have something to do with the texture also. Glass is just an all around better sensory experience. And it goes without saying that glass tastes better than out of an aluminum can, which is the worst. All you taste is the can!

I remember pop out of a bottle tasting better too. However, it might be because they use real sugar instead of HFCS.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/23/20 at 5:00 pm

I remember pop out of a bottle tasting better too. However, it might be because they use real sugar instead of HFCS.

I don't think it's the sugar. Everything tastes better out of glass, even water. With plastic you can taste (and smell) the plastic, however subtly. It's more of a "dull" taste. Out of glass it's a clearer, brighter taste.

Written By: annimal on 01/23/20 at 11:07 pm

all I can say is that cans even when they haven't been in the fridge seem cold.

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/24/20 at 12:11 am

Coincidentally, I worked at a restaurant where they had those freestyle fountain machines. Most times, they were faulty, and stocking ice into them was a KILLER. I still think that standard soda machines are quicker to dispense because of the tabs underneath the soda caps, but I understand that the freestyle machines are supposed to be "forward-thinking" with the various options.

We have just one of these in our town or even in this area. It is at a Wendy’s. It’s the only place I can get a lime Fanta.

But I typically avoid fountain pop because it’s usually mixed too weak to save money.

I always thought pop tasted better from aluminum cans. But I prefer plastic because it is cheaper and resealable.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/24/20 at 2:04 am

Coke doesn't use recycled plastic bottles. They do however recycle their glass bottles.

But plastic bottles can still be recycled.

Written By: duenas8 on 01/24/20 at 4:09 am

yYh87LQNjCI
Just a money issue for them. This is what a billionaire club reunion sounds like 8-P

Written By: Howard on 01/24/20 at 7:22 am

I agree, it just has that metallic taste when it's out of a can or bottle.

Written By: Howard on 01/24/20 at 7:51 am

We have just one of these in our town or even in this area. It is at a Wendy’s. It’s the only place I can get a lime Fanta.

But I typically avoid fountain pop because it’s usually mixed too weak to save money.

I always thought pop tasted better from aluminum cans. But I prefer plastic because it is cheaper and resealable.

What do they put in those soda pop machines in those fast food joints?

Check for new replies or respond here...