inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Send a Farewell Card to Papyrus

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/23/20 at 8:02 pm

The Stationery and greeting card retail empire of Papyrus is coming to an undignified end.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/01/21/papyrus-store-closings-2020-all-254-north-america-stores-shutter/4534533002/

They will be closing all 254 of their stationery and greeting card stores.  :\'(

Subject: Re: Send a Farewell Card to Papyrus

Written By: Sman12 on 01/23/20 at 8:37 pm

Haven't heard of them before, but it's yet another sad demise of corporate retail.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/23/20 at 8:42 pm

I won't miss them. That place was terribly overpriced. I wouldn't mind if it was something I really wanted, but their merchandise wasn't even that great. They were selling themselves as high end but their merchandise wasn't all that interesting.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 01/23/20 at 9:48 pm

I thought you meant THE FONT, and I was about to make a joke about what font Jim Cameron was gonna use on his Avatar sequels. :D

Never heard of the greeting card company before.

jVhlJNJopOQ

JOx1CUwgb_U

Written By: violet_shy on 01/23/20 at 10:57 pm

We have a Papyrus Stationary store at our mall. But, I never get anything from there. They are way too pricey....either that or I'm really cheap lately. If I need stationary I go to Family Dollar or Cardsmart. Cardsmart is a bit like Papyrus, but less expensive.

Anyway, too bad they are going out of buisness...I guess.

Written By: Howard on 01/24/20 at 7:53 am

Haven't heard of them before, but it's yet another sad demise of corporate retail.

Never heard of them either, What do they sell? ???

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/24/20 at 10:36 am

I thought you meant THE FONT, and I was about to make a joke about what font Jim Cameron was gonna use on his Avatar sequels. :D

Never heard of the greeting card company before.

jVhlJNJopOQ

JOx1CUwgb_U

The font or the skeleton from Undertale!  ;D But no I never heard of the company. Not surprising they're shutting down though, I think most people would feel overpriced stationary is silly.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/24/20 at 10:44 am

Not surprising they're shutting down though, I think most people would feel overpriced stationary is silly.

Not necessarily. There are--unfortunately--many affluent  people who are into "conspicuous consumption".  They will buy something simply because it is expensive and they can.
They will buy a $1000 pen from an exclusive high end shop when a $2 pen from Staples will do the exact same job. It's very shallow and it somehow makes them feel important. Think Kardashians. Equally unfortunate is the fact that there are many not-so-wealthy people who aspire to be like this. Hence the idiotic term "aspirational lifestyle". It's why the aforementioned Kardashian nitwits are so popular.

Written By: 2001 on 01/24/20 at 11:28 am

I thought this thread was going to be about actual papyrus lol

Written By: 2001 on 01/24/20 at 11:31 am

Not necessarily. There are--unfortunately--many affluent  people who are into "conspicuous consumption".  They will buy something simply because it is expensive and they can.
They will buy a $1000 pen from an exclusive high end shop when a $2 pen from Staples will do the exact same job. It's very shallow and it somehow makes them feel important. Think Kardashians. Equally unfortunate is the fact that there are many not-so-wealthy people who aspire to be like this. Hence the idiotic term "aspirational lifestyle". It's why the aforementioned Kardashian nitwits are so popular.

I bought a $60 pen for my friend for his birthday. Don't underestimate a good pen, your handwriting can look beautiful in one (and it's cool to have your name written on one lol). The one I gifted also lets you write upside down, useful for doing work or studying while laying in bed ;D

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/24/20 at 1:21 pm

I thought this thread was going to be about actual papyrus lol

I thought it was about a person. I don't know, but speaking of papyrus, I do want to get some parchment paper to experiment with for art purposes.

Written By: Howard on 01/24/20 at 2:05 pm

You can easily get stationary from a dollar store for less.

Written By: Howard on 01/24/20 at 2:07 pm

I bought a $60 pen for my friend for his birthday. Don't underestimate a good pen, your handwriting can look beautiful in one (and it's cool to have your name written on one lol). The one I gifted also lets you write upside down, useful for doing work or studying while laying in bed ;D

Why would you want to pay so much for one?

Written By: exodus08 on 01/24/20 at 4:58 pm

💩

Check for new replies or respond here...