inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Let's keep this board great! Some concerns and suggestions

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/26/20 at 10:03 pm

First off, I'd like to introduce myself as the new moderator to the 2020's board! I'm new to this mod thing, so I welcome any advice.

A new decade is upon us, which means there will be so many new things to talk about!

I do want to bring up a few issues I commonly see around though.

1. "Generationology." The term that describes over analyzing and making comparisons on individuals who were born in certain years. Such as questioning whether a person born in 1993 vs a person born in 1990 is less of a 90's kid than the latter. Or arguing whether a person born on the cusp of a generation belongs here or there. Or any other pointless comparisons that reduce individuals to the year they were born and not take into account who they are as people. Like Millennials act a certain way, or Gen Z acts a certain way, and so on. Just stop with the sweeping generalizations.

2. "Gender gripes." This one is more recent, but let's nip it in the bud because it's also another argument that gets nowhere. What I mean about this is having to read through topics that could be about subculture or fashion and hear endless complaining about how there's too much gender conformity. For one, how people express themselves through their personal style is their choice. Secondly, as people become more accepting of these things, you can't expect the world to change overnight nor can you expect the world to change simply because it's your preference. Variety is what makes the world interesting.

3. Decadeology. This is everyone's pet peeve and you can read it here http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe80s/smf/1213294686.shtml  as well as several other links in pinned topics about the matter.

4. Blatant trolling. Nobody likes to be on the receiving end of trolling, especially when it goes from silly banter to something more malicious. All that does is bring down morale and make things not fun anymore. If I see it I'll put a stop to it because we don't need that here. Joking around is fine, but bullying is not. If you can't argue your point without resorting to put downs, you already lost the argument.

There are other problematic arguments that frequently come up over and over, but these ones are the biggest pet peeves. We're all here to discuss nostalgia and current events, and each year and era offers it's own unique subject matter. It's natural to disagree, but for the sake of keeping this board fun for everyone, keep it civil. If anyone feels things are getting out of hand, don't hesitate to let me know! Or if I feel the you-know-what is hitting the fan, I'll step in.

If anyone has anything to add let's here it!  8)

Subject: Re: Let's keep this board great! Some concerns and suggestions

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/29/20 at 5:19 pm

If anyone has anything to add let's here it!  8)

5. Fowl Language should be avoided.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/29/20 at 5:55 pm

Like giving someone the bird.  ;)

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 01/29/20 at 6:11 pm

Congrats on being the new Moderator on the 2020s board, Rocinante!  :)

I don't have a problem with Generationology...I think it's an interesting topic.

Subject: Let's keep this board great! Some concerns and suggestions

Written By: Dude111 on 01/29/20 at 6:22 pm

Thank you for wanting to join the team my friend!!!!

I hope you like it :)

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/30/20 at 11:06 am

Congrats on being the new Moderator on the 2020s board, Rocinante!  :)

I don't have a problem with Generationology...I think it's an interesting topic.

This isn't Personality Cafe and analyzing and generalizing about people leads to pointless arguments that go nowhere. Plus it gets old.

Written By: Howard on 01/30/20 at 1:48 pm

How about using symbols as cuss words?

Written By: Howard on 01/30/20 at 1:50 pm

Cat

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/assets/photo/66031271-240px.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/30/20 at 1:52 pm

Cat

In Pigeon English?

Written By: 2001 on 01/30/20 at 6:03 pm

No Howard, foul language

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_EVftVF6OptY/SjacFW8G7wI/AAAAAAAAJCw/BbScIj2kRyg/s400/Welsummer-rooster.jpg

Written By: violet_shy on 01/30/20 at 6:22 pm

In Pigeon English?

No Howard, foul language

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_EVftVF6OptY/SjacFW8G7wI/AAAAAAAAJCw/BbScIj2kRyg/s400/Welsummer-rooster.jpg

Teehee  ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/30/20 at 7:04 pm

Generationology makes me thankful I didn't have the Internet growing up.  ;D

Written By: violet_shy on 01/30/20 at 7:23 pm

Generationology makes me thankful I didn't have the Internet growing up.  ;D

Wait....I am utterly bewildered. Does this mean you revel in the topic of Generationology at all?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/30/20 at 7:29 pm

Wait....I am utterly bewildered. Does this mean you revel in the topic of Generationology at all?

I just find it amusing how much people bicker about it.  ;D

Written By: KatanaChick on 02/01/20 at 2:28 pm

I just find it amusing how much people bicker about it.  ;D

It goes on for several pages and they can't change eachother's mind.

Written By: annimal on 02/01/20 at 2:53 pm

I know a lot of you all here are sensitive to fowl language and I'm not against not using it, but I think there are purposes in which fowl language is good to use.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/01/20 at 3:14 pm

Just to be clear:

Foul:

adjective, foul·er, foul·est.
grossly offensive to the senses; disgustingly loathsome; noisome: a foul smell.
containing or characterized by offensive or noisome matter: foul air; foul stagnant water.
adverb
in a foul manner; vilely; unfairly.
Baseball. into foul territory; so as to be foul: It looked like a homer when he hit it, but it went foul.
noun
something that is foul.
a collision or entanglement: a foul between two racing sculls.

Fowl:

noun, plural fowls, (especially collectively) fowl.
the domestic or barnyard hen or rooster; chicken.Compare domestic fowl.
any of several other, usually gallinaceous, birds that are barnyard, domesticated, or wild, as the duck, turkey, or pheasant.
(in market and household use) a full-grown domestic fowl for food purposes, as distinguished from a chicken or young fowl.
the flesh or meat of a domestic fowl.
any bird (used chiefly in combination): waterfowl; wildfowl.
verb (used without object)
to hunt or take wildfowl.

You're welcome!

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 02/01/20 at 3:15 pm

I know a lot of you all here are sensitive to fowl language and I'm not against not using it, but I think there are purposes in which fowl language is good to use.

You like to cuss? I think it depends on what is considered to be a cuss word or foul language. Like I could create a whole new word without really cussing. I'M SUCH A BISHHHHH....See, and it doesn't even sound bad. WHAT THE FRICK.....GET THE FUDGE OUT!....OH FISHSTICKS!!.....

Btw, I hate cussing AND foul language. But when I'm in a bad situation, sometimes they just slip out like nothing. :P

Written By: annimal on 02/01/20 at 5:05 pm

^^ you don't want me playing baseball around here?

Written By: annimal on 02/01/20 at 5:12 pm

Just those times when you need to rant to get something out of your system it does come out of you a lot easier sometimes if you just let the foulness out.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/02/22 at 9:01 pm

Another pet peeve of mine is people hijacking posts and then going completely off topic.  That's happened on more than one occasion and it sort of drives me up the wall.

Written By: karen on 07/03/22 at 5:30 am

Another pet peeve of mine is people hijacking posts and then going completely off topic.  That's happened on more than one occasion and it sort of drives me up the wall.

Sometimes it happens because the topic is patently ridiculous or repetitive. The person starting the topic takes no further part in it - they seem to be posting for postings sake or possibly to get a rise out of other members.

Sometimes the topic drifts as a real conversation would

Check for new replies or respond here...