inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: January 2020 Quick Thoughts

Written By: mqg96 on 02/01/20 at 5:47 pm

You know, this is why I can't stand these prediction threads around here, well, put it like this, I don't like predicting the future period. Every time you're like "oh hopefully this year will be better" or you automatically assume "this upcoming year will be the greatest ever, better than the previous year".... every time you over hype the future, it always crash and burn, never going the way you thought it would plan out to be. I can wait patiently for the next time period to come.

Anyways, for all of those who thought 2020 was going to be a great year, well, here's how I believe the first month went in a nutshell, and we all know by now. I know we still have 11 months ahead of us, but is this really how the year and decade had to start? I don't recall January 2000 or January 2010 starting like this. You know what they say, what happens at the start, immediately sets the tone for the rest. Well, we're in for a long year & decade folks, oh, and let's not forget, this is an ELECTION year. Better buckle your seat belts tight.

https://i.imgur.com/tjPRXUp.png

https://i.imgur.com/EUXrrOa.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KhhtSQG.png

Subject: Re: January 2020 Quick Thoughts

Written By: 2001 on 02/01/20 at 6:05 pm

I hope Coronavirus is gone by the time the Tokyo Olympics start, I'm really looking forward to it. And PS5 is coming out this year too, so there is reason to be optimistic.

Written By: shadowcookie on 02/01/20 at 6:09 pm

I hope Coronavirus is gone by the time the Tokyo Olympics start, I'm really looking forward to it. And PS5 is coming out this year too, so there is reason to be optimistic.

More than likely it will eventually die down and be forgotten about, like swine flu or SARS. In the meantime there will be hysteria like there always is.

WW3 isn’t happening and never was so I don’t understand that.

And famous people die all the time, it’s sad but it’s life. And depending on what country you live in the death of Kobe Bryant wasn’t a big deal. I doubt most people in the UK even knew who he was.

Written By: 2001 on 02/01/20 at 6:17 pm

More than likely it will eventually die down and be forgotten about, like swine flu or SARS. In the meantime there will be hysteria like there always is.

And famous people die all the time, it’s sad but it’s life. And depending on what country you live in the death of Kobe Bryant wasn’t a big deal. I doubt most people in the UK even knew who he was.

In Toronto basketball is probably the biggest sport, even bigger than ice hockey these days. I don't watch basketball myself (although I've played it and have been to a few games) but all my friends watch it so I've known about him since forever. He was especially popular during my high school days 2009/2010. I'll really miss him. Usually I don't care about celebrity deaths but he was a big one  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/01/20 at 6:29 pm

My January didn't go as planned.

Cat

Written By: Sman12 on 02/01/20 at 6:31 pm

Yeah, this was definitely a hectic month for sure. Hopefully things will turn out better in the later months.

Written By: annimal on 02/01/20 at 6:34 pm

hopefully is not making an assumption.  I think the thinking is that something good or better comes after something bad or not so great.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/01/20 at 7:06 pm

You forgot to add Brexit and Impeachment to that list. Both which culminated to a ceremonial end yesterday (January 31, 2020); Britain's official exit from the European Union at 11PM (GMT), and the widely partisan line vote for no witnesses in Pres. Trump's impeachment trial in the senate (a final nail in the coffin for a Trump impeachment effort on the Ukraine-Burisma scandal). What a way to end the month, but that truly was the end of a political (and cultural) era and we are now in the start of a new one.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/01/20 at 8:37 pm

Every time you're like "oh hopefully this year will be better" or you automatically assume "this upcoming year will be the greatest ever, better than the previous year".... every time you over hype the future, it always crash and burn, never going the way you thought it would plan out to be.

This is exactly why I'm not having any expectations for the 2020's. IMO it's best to just let it play out how it's supposed to.

Written By: annimal on 02/01/20 at 10:14 pm

I just focus on continuing to do my best.  It's to hard and a waste of my time  to look back and forth between years and figure out if I think they're better or worse.

I'm still doin what I can yeah

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/02/20 at 12:00 am

It'll be 2025 before you know it and you bia bia's will be begging to come back to... "2020, THE LAST GREAT YEAR OF THE CENTURY!" - Articles in 2073

Written By: Sman12 on 02/02/20 at 7:05 am

It'll be 2025 before you know it and you bia bia's will be begging to come back to... "2020, THE LAST GREAT YEAR OF THE CENTURY!" - Articles in 2073

;D I sure hope 2020's great overall.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/02/20 at 1:05 pm

January was ok for me personally. I've been very organized with some things lately. It's a good way to start the year I guess.  :)

Written By: Howard on 02/02/20 at 3:04 pm

I knew who he was but I wasn't a basketball fan.

Written By: temaichi on 02/02/20 at 3:19 pm

January went by quick. I am actually scared!
I want to enjoy every single moment of 2020 but time waits for nobody...

Written By: Sman12 on 02/02/20 at 4:35 pm

He was #1 trending on Twitter worldwide, and from I can recall, he was #1 on British Twitter as well.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/03/20 at 10:58 am

January was rough for world events, but was pretty good in my personal life except for the week I was sick (no, it's not the Corona virus). One good thing that came out that month was Bad Boys For Life.

Written By: Howard on 02/04/20 at 9:09 am

January in my opinion weather-wise was pretty above normal as far as temperatures were concerned, let's hope February we get a good amount of snow, not that I'm saying we should get it but it should feel like the season.

Written By: shadowcookie on 02/04/20 at 9:36 am

He was #1 trending on Twitter worldwide, and from I can recall, he was #1 on British Twitter as well.

Wouldn’t say Twitter is a good barometer for public opinion tbh.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 02/05/20 at 8:20 pm

Indeed, it was a horrible month.  :\'(
-World War 3 almost triggered
-Australia wildfires
-Corona Virus
-Kobe Bryant's death as well as Gigi's
-Finals week stressing me out

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/09/20 at 4:10 pm

You know, this is why I can't stand these prediction threads around here, well, put it like this, I don't like predicting the future period. Every time you're like "oh hopefully this year will be better" or you automatically assume "this upcoming year will be the greatest ever, better than the previous year".... every time you over hype the future, it always crash and burn, never going the way you thought it would plan out to be. I can wait patiently for the next time period to come.

Anyways, for all of those who thought 2020 was going to be a great year, well, here's how I believe the first month went in a nutshell, and we all know by now. I know we still have 11 months ahead of us, but is this really how the year and decade had to start? I don't recall January 2000 or January 2010 starting like this. You know what they say, what happens at the start, immediately sets the tone for the rest. Well, we're in for a long year & decade folks, oh, and let's not forget, this is an ELECTION year. Better buckle your seat belts tight.

https://i.imgur.com/tjPRXUp.png

https://i.imgur.com/EUXrrOa.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KhhtSQG.png
January 2010 was the Hati Earthquake (not quite the same reaction as Kobe but still pretty tragic). I remember the Hati tragedy was discussed months after it happened even singer Wycleaf Jean was running for president in Hati in 2010.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/09/20 at 4:14 pm

I knew who he was but I wasn't a basketball fan.
Same, my cousin and my Godmother were huge Kobe fans. I liked him to but wasn't quite my favorite. I did prefer him over Lebron when they had their rivalry from 2009-11.

Written By: Howard on 02/10/20 at 7:38 am

Same, my cousin and my Godmother were huge Kobe fans. I liked him to but wasn't quite my favorite. I did prefer him over Lebron when they had their rivalry from 2009-11.

I only see them when I watch them in those commercials such as The General with Shaq, Kobe Bryant in a shoe commercial, Dikembe Motumbo or Michael Jordan in a cereal commercial. 

Written By: Sman12 on 02/10/20 at 1:12 pm

Wouldn’t say Twitter is a good barometer for public opinion tbh.

Not usually, but it is representative of what most people are talking about on a global scale in pop culture.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/11/20 at 4:51 pm

The 2020s are just an extension of the 2010s so far. I honestly don't think there will be any big changes in culture at all in the next few years. And even if there was, it will be very gradual. The 2020s will merely be the 2010s Part 2. Just more of the same garbage forever. I've lost hope in the culture improving. It is what it is.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/11/20 at 10:22 pm

The 2020s are just an extension of the 2010s so far. I honestly don't think there will be any big changes in culture at all in the next few years. And even if there was, it will be very gradual. The 2020s will merely be the 2010s Part 2. Just more of the same garbage forever. I've lost hope in the culture improving. It is what it is.

I also have the same feeling about the culture that we're in right now. Hell, even 2010 felt like a new year in a new decade with electropop, emerging hipster culture, HD television and tons of more facets.

But I am still hoping for something culturally different later this year.

Written By: Howard on 02/12/20 at 4:53 am

Why do you think the culture will stay the same?  ???

Written By: Sman12 on 02/12/20 at 9:49 am

Why do you think the culture will stay the same?  ???

I guess it's because everything in pop culture in 2019 is still currently prevalent.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/12/20 at 10:59 am

I guess it's because everything in pop culture in 2019 is still currently prevalent.

I'm not psychic but the 2010s had very slow change I don't see the 2020s being much different. We'll see.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/12/20 at 11:39 am

I also have the same feeling about the culture that we're in right now. Hell, even 2010 felt like a new year in a new decade with electropop, emerging hipster culture, HD television and tons of more facets.

But I am still hoping for something culturally different later this year.

Not all decades are the same. Some culturally start earlier, some start on time, and some start later. It just so happens that 2020 is 2010’s in everything but name alone. Kinda like how 1990 was with the 80’s.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/12/20 at 12:14 pm

Not all decades are the same. Some culturally start earlier, some start on time, and some start later. It just so happens that 2020 is 2010’s in everything but name alone. Kinda like how 1990 was with the 80’s.

I agree

Written By: Sman12 on 02/12/20 at 12:32 pm

Quite true. I guess the zeitgeist isn't here yet.  :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/20 at 12:38 pm

At the start of the previous decade I was in employment, and the day, week passed quickly. Ten years on, apart from the age factor, time drags, but the day goes quickly for me.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/12/20 at 6:38 pm

Quite true. I guess the zeitgeist isn't here yet.  :-\\

I was thinking we would look back and discuss the "January 2020 shift", lol.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 02/17/20 at 6:15 pm

Whelp, the 2020s started off poorly with Coronavirus, Kobe's death, etc. But I hope it will improve in one point, even the 2010s started off badly with the great recession, oh well...  :-\\

Written By: DisneysRetro on 02/21/20 at 3:26 pm

Whelp, the 2020s started off poorly with Coronavirus, Kobe's death, etc. But I hope it will improve in one point, even the 2010s started off badly with the great recession, oh well...  :-\\

Now that im thinking about it, the 2020’s did start off bad :(. I hope it progresses. I want this decade to have a really good vibe to it.

Written By: 2001 on 02/21/20 at 7:29 pm

It started off rough but the underlying trends are good. The economy is doing well, artificial intelligence is revolutionizing many industries and boosting productivity, AI is also helping to identify diseases and catch them earlier, solar energy and wind energy are getting cheaper and cheaper, meat substitutes for beef and shrimp are increasingly popular, electric car sales are booming, an actual flying car was invented, the price crash in microsensors is going to spin off interesting technologies, the Solar Orbiter satellite launched and will be monitoring the Sun, we've found out how to make air from moondust, I even read about cyborg jellyfish ;D

IVYVaEY-YSE

Check for new replies or respond here...