inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Weeknd' "Blinding Lights" is one of the few recent songs I love

Written By: imrane on 02/03/20 at 3:29 am

Could "Blinding Lights" be the start of a return to late 2000s/early 2010s happier-sounding music without mumbling? It sounds like an 80s song or a retro styled song from 2009-2014 to me, yet fresh in the sea of mumble gibberish songs.

Subject: Re: The Weeknd' "Blinding Lights" is one of the few recent songs I love

Written By: shadowcookie on 02/03/20 at 7:16 am

It’s one of my current favourite songs too.

Subject: Re: The Weeknd' "Blinding Lights" is one of the few recent songs I love

Written By: Sman12 on 02/03/20 at 7:37 am

I'm actually liking it better than "Heartless".

Written By: mc98 on 02/03/20 at 1:55 pm

There’s also that Dua Lipa song “Don’t Start Now”, which is a bop. I hope we get more songs like these in the early 2020s.

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/03/20 at 10:30 pm

Love that weeknd song. Sounds very 80s to me. Even has an 80s sounding synth patch.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/03/20 at 11:09 pm

I hate it. There's not a single popular song I like right now.

Written By: nally on 05/01/21 at 10:53 am

Love that weeknd song. Sounds very 80s to me. Even has an 80s sounding synth patch.

It does remind me a little bit of "Young Turks" by Rod Stewart (a 1981 hit), due to the synth and the drumbeat.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/01/21 at 12:35 pm

It does remind me a little bit of "Young Turks" by Rod Stewart (a 1981 hit), due to the synth and the drumbeat.

I hear that from a lot of people. But I never heard any similarity that really stood out. To me it sounds more like “Take On Me”. Same reason, the synth and drum machine.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 05/03/21 at 12:09 pm

If artists have to emulate older decades to make good music then so be it. Much better than the mess that was 2010s music.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/04/21 at 2:33 pm

I hate it. There's not a single popular song I like right now.

I have no idea why I said this since I ended up liking Blinding Lights :-\\ It's not very original but it's catchy and will be remembered as the anthem for the early 2020s and Covid era.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/04/21 at 4:23 pm

I have no idea why I said this since I ended up liking Blinding Lights :-\\ It's not very original but it's catchy and will be remembered as the anthem for the early 2020s and Covid era.

You must have been under a spell. Reminds me of "Bewitched" when Samantha would twitch her nose and make somebody say something, and then they shake their heads and say "I have no idea why I just said that!".  ;D

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/04/21 at 8:43 pm

I also think Dua Lipa's "Don't Start Now" reminds me of that time, which is probably why I don't listen to it now even though that song and album are otherwise good.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/04/21 at 9:06 pm

I also think Dua Lipa's "Don't Start Now" reminds me of that time, which is probably why I don't listen to it now even though that song and album are otherwise good.

For me, besides Blinding Lights, is Say So by Doja Cat.

Check for new replies or respond here...