inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Gen Z is trying really hard to copy the 90s

Written By: GameXcaper on 02/09/20 at 6:05 am

Gen Z teens are trying really hard to copy the fashion and hairstyles of the 90s. I guess they want to try and look like their Gen X parents when they were their age. Take E-boy and E-girls for example, even though very few of us use tiktok (and that is mostly women), it has still become well known on the internet. The middle part hairstyle/curtains/buttcut is coming back hard and lots of guys are trying it out. The Meet me at Mcdonalds haircut or curly undercut is just like the one many guys had in the late 80s and early 90s. Unlike Millenial men, our hairstyles are a lot more messy, and more casual. Fashion such as mom jeans, flannel shirts, denim jackets, acid wash, baggier pants and clothing, doc martens, Birkenstocks, ripped clothing, clunky shoes are all being worn by college underclass-men. On top of that everyone looks wornout or tired. I guess this suits the late 2010s-early 2020s atmosphere very well, because ever since late 2016 everything has felt dry, dark, and depressing compared to the bubbly and flashy early 2010s and the mid 2010s. While the early 2010s still had most of it's nostalgia focused on the 80s with the 90s starting to creep in, the late 2010s is all about the 90s, the 80s is going out, and the 2000s is starting to slowly creep in.

Subject: Re: Gen Z is trying really hard to copy the 90s

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/09/20 at 4:06 pm

Gen Z teens are trying really hard to copy the fashion and hairstyles of the 90s. I guess they want to try and look like their Gen X parents when they were their age. Take E-boy and E-girls for example, even though very few of us use tiktok (and that is mostly women), it has still become well known on the internet. The middle part hairstyle/curtains/buttcut is coming back hard and lots of guys are trying it out. The Meet me at Mcdonalds haircut or curly undercut is just like the one many guys had in the late 80s and early 90s. Unlike Millenial men, our hairstyles are a lot more messy, and more casual. Fashion such as mom jeans, flannel shirts, denim jackets, acid wash, baggier pants and clothing, doc martens, Birkenstocks, ripped clothing, clunky shoes are all being worn by college underclass-men. On top of that everyone looks wornout or tired. I guess this suits the late 2010s-early 2020s atmosphere very well, because ever since late 2016 everything has felt dry, dark, and depressing compared to the bubbly and flashy early 2010s and the mid 2010s. While the early 2010s still had most of it's nostalgia focused on the 80s with the 90s starting to creep in, the late 2010s is all about the 90s, the 80s is going out, and the 2000s is starting to slowly creep in.
I can agree with you till some extemt tho oversized jeans are still looked down upon by today's generation once bigger jeans come back on style then we can say we're in a 90s\2000s revival.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/09/20 at 4:45 pm

That's wonderful!

One question though: Why don't they like current fashion fads?

I think it's super cute they want to bring back fashion fads from the '90s, but I also feel they should really enjoy their time. There's a chance that 30 years from now, they will look back and probably say why didn't I enjoy the fashion of my teen years. It's a once in a lifetime thing.

In the '90s, when there was '70s nostalgia I never went along with it. I wanted to be what was then modern and dress like the other kids my age.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/09/20 at 5:16 pm

Fashion revivals from decades past occasionally happen, but I am eager to see a new fashion trend that isn't a copy from those decades (regardless of how good or bad it might be).

Written By: exodus08 on 02/09/20 at 6:14 pm

Back in the 00s I dressed casual. 80s nostalgia was in and I wasn’t into it since I was born after the 80s.

Written By: mc98 on 02/09/20 at 6:50 pm

Fashion revivals from decades past occasionally happen, but I am eager to see a new fashion trend that isn't a copy from those decades (regardless of how good or bad it might be).

Flared jeans in the late 90s and early 00s were obviously a throwback to 70s pants.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/09/20 at 9:18 pm

Flared jeans in the late 90s and early 00s were obviously a throwback to 70s pants.

Yikes. Those jeans just turn me off for some reason.  8-P

Written By: Emman on 02/10/20 at 8:43 am

Why don't they like current fashion fads?

Because there is no "current" fashion fads, almost everything now is a revival or perennial fashion staples, there's no distinctive 2020 fashion.

We're literally running out of past to revive in the first place.

Written By: wixness on 02/10/20 at 8:54 am

Definitely.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/10/20 at 9:37 am

I was looking through the Seventeen website, and the girl's teen fashion for Fall 2020 doesn't look like revival at all. Only clothing item from the 90s there are the flannel shirts and they aren't wearing them the way we did in the 90s. But flannel shirts were only popular in the 90s around 1994 or 1995.

https://www.seventeen.com/teen-fall-fashion-trends/

Written By: 2001 on 02/10/20 at 10:39 am

I noticed that too. A lot of dudes are curling their hair.

Written By: mc98 on 02/10/20 at 10:43 am

I noticed that too. A lot of dudes are curling their hair.

Yeah, I noticed it too. Perms are trendy with guys since 2019.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/EiP0uX77x2c/maxresdefault.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 02/10/20 at 10:46 am

Yeah, I noticed it too. Perms are trendy with guys since 2019.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/EiP0uX77x2c/maxresdefault.jpg

Idk if it's just a camera effect or what but those "soulless eyes" look on a lot of photos creeps me the f*ck out.

Written By: mc98 on 02/10/20 at 10:51 am

Idk if it's just a camera effect or what but those "soulless eyes" look on a lot of photos creeps me the f*ck out.

Yeah, it is creepy lol. I think that hairstyle will define the 2020s, at least the early part.

Written By: wixness on 02/10/20 at 11:08 am

Yeah, it is creepy lol. I think that hairstyle will define the 2020s, at least the early part.
:(
In some people's eyes, they're "sexy".

Written By: shadowcookie on 02/10/20 at 11:20 am

I mean he’s an objectively good looking person, but the deadpan expression seems to be pretty popular in social media photos.

I really like that hairstyle too.

Written By: wixness on 02/10/20 at 11:30 am

I mean he’s an objectively good looking person, but the deadpan expression seems to be pretty popular in social media photos.

I really like that hairstyle too.

I don't like the hairstyle and hate that the whole 90s look is hot.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/10/20 at 12:20 pm

I think that is what is referred to in modeling as "dead eyes". It used to me a major no-no and people were not hired for having that look. Apparently that has now changed. Nothing new about the hairstyle, by the way. I remember lots of people in the 80s who looked like that. Without the pretentious and highly manicured beards of course. In fact that hairstyle goes at least as far back as the Renaissance. Michelangelo's statue of David has it.  :D

Written By: Sman12 on 02/10/20 at 1:10 pm

Because there is no "current" fashion fads, almost everything now is a revival or perennial fashion staples, there's no distinctive 2020 fashion.

We're literally running out of past to revive in the first place.

The same sentiment goes with movies, TV, and music. Everything's a copy from something else, and originality is running dry.  :\'(

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/10/20 at 1:39 pm

What's interesting is that Gen X'ers had the same interest in retro fashion as Gen Z'ers.  ::)

https://i.imgur.com/ZaqXM11.png

Written By: wixness on 02/10/20 at 1:55 pm

The same sentiment goes with movies, TV, and music. Everything's a copy from something else, and originality is running dry.  :\'(
There's either too many things out there protected by copyright law, or otherwise just too many things out there, period. Culture is more of a factory of commodities now so no wonder we're running out of originality quickly.

Written By: shadowcookie on 02/10/20 at 3:34 pm

What's interesting is that Gen X'ers had the same interest in retro fashion as Gen Z'ers.  ::)

https://i.imgur.com/ZaqXM11.png

Lies, I’ve been led to believe that everything in the 90s was original and nothing was inspired by previous decades.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/10/20 at 3:39 pm

Lies, I’ve been led to believe that everything in the 90s was original and nothing was inspired by previous decades.

True. There was late 60s and 70s nostalgia but those of us who were teens in the 90s thought it was out of style. There was a lot of backlash for previous decades too.

Written By: mc98 on 02/10/20 at 4:05 pm

There were a lot of 60s and 70s nostalgia in the 90s. Grunge was a callback to the raw and edginess of rock of the 60s and 70s and it was a backlash to the heavily corporate hair metal that rules the second half of the 80s. Plus, many rap songs then sampled a lot of 70s funk songs. The flared jeans that came back in the late 90s was an obvious inspiration of the 70s.

Written By: 2001 on 02/10/20 at 6:19 pm

I think that is what is referred to in modeling as "dead eyes". It used to me a major no-no and people were not hired for having that look. Apparently that has now changed. Nothing new about the hairstyle, by the way. I remember lots of people in the 80s who looked like that. Without the pretentious and highly manicured beards of course. In fact that hairstyle goes at least as far back as the Renaissance. Michelangelo's statue of David has it.  :D

Gen Z is trying really hard to copy the 90s, by which I mean 990s BC.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/10/20 at 8:50 pm

There's either too many things out there protected by copyright law, or otherwise just too many things out there, period. Culture is more of a factory of commodities now so no wonder we're running out of originality quickly.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/afbc4f10e6c4fe2dc2982b0d2d0cdca4/tenor.gif?itemid=10797521

So true. I think that the fashion trends moving forward will be revivals or inspirations as everything original or groundbreaking slowly grinds to a halt. And I normally don't talk about fashion.  ;D

Written By: goodbants on 02/11/20 at 10:13 am

This is my opinion as a member of generation z who really enjoys the 90s style. I was born in 1998, thus I don’t remember the 80s or 90s so it’s kind of new to us. It might seem old and recycled to those who lived in those decades but to us, it’s what we see on Instagram and Tiktok and it seems cool. It’s a lot different from early and mid 2010s fashion which people are starting to get bored of. I wouldn’t say we’re consciously stealing 90s fashion. We’re just not burnt out of it like previous generations cause we weren’t around at that time. Mid 2000s fashion, however, reminds me of what I used to wear when I was like 7 and it’s cringy as hell.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 02/11/20 at 11:33 pm

I like some of the 90’s and early 2000’s fashion that has come back due to nostalgia. I even wear some of the clothes such as the jeans, shirts and jackets. However I do notice that many teens of today who are emulating the 90’s/y2k era weren't actually born in that time which I think is what captures Gen Z. Mainly because Gen Z seems to really be fascinated by decades they didn’t get to live since most of their childhood and teenage years took place in decades with hardly any cultural/fashionable identity outside of technology.

Written By: GameXcaper on 02/13/20 at 12:04 pm

I like some of the 90’s and early 2000’s fashion that has come back due to nostalgia. I even wear some of the clothes such as the jeans, shirts and jackets. However I do notice that many teens of today who are emulating the 90’s/y2k era weren't actually born in that time which I think is what captures Gen Z. Mainly because Gen Z seems to really be fascinated by decades they didn’t get to live since most of their childhood and teenage years took place in decades with hardly any cultural/fashionable identity outside of technology.

I don't think it's primarily a Gen Z thing. Mainstream fashion follows a 20 to 25 year cycle. Lets take the 2000s for example, this is when many things from the 70s were brought back and 80s fashion was being brought back (The transition from flares/boot cuts to skinny jeans). The 2010s started off with 80s fashion being brought back (Lots of neon in the early 2010s, shutter shades, thick rimmed glasses, aviators, thick eyebrows, leather jackets) and then eventually bringing back early 90s fashion (Flannel, doc martens, Birkenstocks, the undercut, ripped jeans, timberland boots, mom jeans, OG streetwear, Jordans, Airmax shoes, backwards baseball caps, thin metal-rimmed glasses etc). Now we are firmly in the mid-90s revival period. Clothes are becoming baggier, people are starting to look less put together, middle parts are coming back, etc. I'd say that by 2022 or 2023 we'll be in the late 90s period and bootcut jeans/ flares will be back. And early 2000s styles will slowly become more mainstream as the decade progresses.

Remember that mainstream fashion is designed by and for the people between 20 to 25. They usually bring back fashion from the time they were born, the time right before they were born, or when they were young children because they didn't get to live through it like everyone older than them.

Written By: xenzue on 02/14/20 at 11:57 pm

I think Millennial 90s nostalgia and Gen Z 90s/00s nostalgia look completely different.

Millennials seem to base it off their own childhood and tend to copy more childlike things. Gen Z nostalgia seems to be a bit more grown-up and based off their Gen X parents' youth and internet-based research.

Written By: KatanaChick on 02/15/20 at 3:33 pm

I think Millennial 90s nostalgia and Gen Z 90s/00s nostalgia look completely different.

Millennials seem to base it off their own childhood and tend to copy more childlike things. Gen Z nostalgia seems to be a bit more grown-up and based off their Gen X parents' youth and internet-based research.

I don't know, maybe. I mean Bronies and all the t-shirts hipsters made trendy again with the 90's cartoons featured on the front. I don't notice what the Z crowd is nostalgic for honestly. Maybe I'm out of the loop, but I don't interact with many of them IRL.  :-\\

Written By: Sman12 on 02/15/20 at 3:54 pm

All I know is that fashion-centric Zoomers (along with Millenials) are breaking boundaries on gendered fashion by making it more gender-neutral.

Written By: KatanaChick on 02/15/20 at 11:56 pm

All I know is that fashion-centric Zoomers (along with Millenials) are breaking boundaries on gendered fashion by making it more gender-neutral.

OK? But we're not going to have a whole discussion here about how gender-neutral look=good and gender conformity=bad. Just no.  8-P

Written By: Sman12 on 02/16/20 at 9:17 am

OK? But we're not going to have a whole discussion here about how gender-neutral look=good and gender conformity=bad. Just no.  8-P

I don't want that as much as you don't, but that's what I'm seeing lately with other Zoomers.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/16/20 at 9:28 am

I notice the gender neutral look mostly in girls (which is good cause I don't find gender neutral men attractive at all  ;D)

Written By: wixness on 02/16/20 at 11:16 am

I notice the gender neutral look mostly in girls (which is good cause I don't find gender neutral men attractive at all  ;D )
I sort of have the opposite view but many guys I see trying to look androgynous all tend to look more boyish than gender ambiguous, at least these days.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 02/16/20 at 1:39 pm

So someone born in 1994 is copying what they wore in the 90’s as a 5 year old ?

Written By: xenzue on 02/16/20 at 3:32 pm

So someone born in 1994 is copying what they wore in the 90’s as a 5 year old ?

I’m obviously referring to core millennials (86-93) Not millennials-lite

Written By: shadowcookie on 02/16/20 at 4:57 pm

I’m obviously referring to core millennials (86-93) Not millennials-lite

So someone born in 1993 is copying what they wore in the 90s as a 6 year old?

You have a very generous definition of who core Millennials are.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 02/16/20 at 7:33 pm

I don't think it's primarily a Gen Z thing. Mainstream fashion follows a 20 to 25 year cycle. Lets take the 2000s for example, this is when many things from the 70s were brought back and 80s fashion was being brought back (The transition from flares/boot cuts to skinny jeans). The 2010s started off with 80s fashion being brought back (Lots of neon in the early 2010s, shutter shades, thick rimmed glasses, aviators, thick eyebrows, leather jackets) and then eventually bringing back early 90s fashion (Flannel, doc martens, Birkenstocks, the undercut, ripped jeans, timberland boots, mom jeans, OG streetwear, Jordans, Airmax shoes, backwards baseball caps, thin metal-rimmed glasses etc). Now we are firmly in the mid-90s revival period. Clothes are becoming baggier, people are starting to look less put together, middle parts are coming back, etc. I'd say that by 2022 or 2023 we'll be in the late 90s period and bootcut jeans/ flares will be back. And early 2000s styles will slowly become more mainstream as the decade progresses.

Remember that mainstream fashion is designed by and for the people between 20 to 25. They usually bring back fashion from the time they were born, the time right before they were born, or when they were young children because they didn't get to live through it like everyone older than them.

I believe we are in late 90’s early 2000’s nostalgia rn. Airmax 97’s were big in 2017. Now all the y2k stuff is coming back such as chunky sandals, reflector clothing/shoes, tommy hilfiger, etc. I think revivals weren’t as strong as they were now tho. Like the 80’s nostalgia was not as big as I’m seeing 90’s nostalgia in the fashion department. But I do get what you are saying. I believe every generation revives some culture that they are distantly familiar with.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 02/16/20 at 7:37 pm

I sort of have the opposite view but many guys I see trying to look androgynous all tend to look more boyish than gender ambiguous, at least these days.

I am androgynous naturally. I have soft feminine features which I take pride in. I like to dress in street wear sometimes and take part in old school 90’s baggy clothing. But I like the contrast of femininity and masculinity combined in the fashion world https://imgur.com/a/1zJp0wy like for an example here are a few brief photos of what I mean.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/16/20 at 8:59 pm

Yup I wore overalls in the 90s and I've worn overalls as an adult due to 90s nostalgia  fashion trends.  ;D

Written By: xenzue on 02/17/20 at 12:35 am

Y'all are reading a little too deep into this..

Written By: shadowcookie on 02/17/20 at 2:01 am

Y'all are reading a little too deep into this..

I was mostly just kidding - there’s no real difference between being 5 or being 6 in 1999 which is why I thought making the distinction between 1993 and 1994 was kinda pointless, lol.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 02/17/20 at 3:00 am

Yup I wore overalls in the 90s and I've worn overalls as an adult due to 90s nostalgia  fashion trends.  ;D

Same

Written By: 2001 on 02/17/20 at 2:09 pm

Oh no, I hated wearing overalls. I also hated wearing denim jackets because they were heavy and constricting, so I resisted when they were coming back around 2013/2014, but now I have a closet full of them ;D

I don't care to revive the '90s though, 1970s-2000s were the dark ages for male fashion in my opinion. I only ever tried to throwback to the '50s/early '60s in that hipster slicked back hair, thick frame glasses and suspenders kind of way. I also recently found an appreciation for 1970s earthy/harvest colour scheme. I guess my nostalgia cycle is broken and goes in 50 years instead of 20.

Written By: mc98 on 02/17/20 at 2:16 pm

Oh no, I hated wearing overalls. I also hated wearing denim jackets because they were heavy and constricting, so I resisted when they were coming back around 2013/2014, but now I have a closet full of them ;D

I don't care to revive the '90s though, 1970s-2000s were the dark ages for male fashion in my opinion. I only ever tried to throwback to the '50s/early '60s in that hipster slicked back hair, thick frame glasses and suspenders kind of way. I also recently found an appreciation for 1970s earthy/harvest colour scheme. I guess my nostalgia cycle is broken and goes in 50 years instead of 20.

1970s was a nice decade for male fashion. I’m not gay but guys with tucked polo shirts, long shaggy hair, and bell bottoms looked good at that time.

Written By: 2001 on 02/17/20 at 2:21 pm

1970s was a nice decade for male fashion. I’m not gay but guys with tucked polo shirts, long shaggy hair, and bell bottoms looked good at that time.

I don't think it looks like an outright offence to decency and good taste like the 1980s+ stuff, but it just looks "weird". When I look at my parents photos from the 1970s, I can't help but laugh. I do like my dad's Elvis Presley hair though, but that was a 1950s revival within the 1970s :P

Written By: mc98 on 02/17/20 at 2:25 pm

I don't think it looks like an outright offence to decency and good taste like the 1980s+ stuff, but it just looks "weird". When I look at my parents photos from the 1970s, I can't help but laugh. I do like my dad's Elvis Presley hair though, but that was a 1950s revival within the 1970s :P

The 1980s was more weirder with guys wearing mullets and short shorts lol. The worst era for guys fashion is the early 2000s. So much spiky hair and cargo pants lol.

Written By: 2001 on 02/17/20 at 2:43 pm

The 1980s was more weirder with guys wearing mullets and short shorts lol. The worst era for guys fashion is the early 2000s. So much spiky hair and cargo pants lol.

I think 1970s only looks good in retrospect because of the decades that came afterwards. If you look at it sequentially though, the 1970s look a lot more "out there" compared to the 1960s, which were classically good; the 1980s didn't happen yet.

1990-2005 would be the fashion dark ages for men. It felt like people tried so hard to not attract attention that they ended up looking like an eyesore. Cargo shorts, JNCO jeans, "short sleeve" shirts that went past the elbow, ugh. 1980s is just plan hideous. Don't take your style cues from MTV ;D

Short shorts look very disturbing but the 1990s/2000s (and even early 2010s) trend of having baggy "shorts" go way below the knee halfway down the calf looked outright fugly. To think at one point I thought that was normal *shudders*

Written By: mc98 on 02/17/20 at 2:51 pm

I think 1970s only looks good in retrospect because of the decades that came afterwards. If you look at it sequentially though, the 1970s look a lot more "out there" compared to the 1960s, which were classically good; the 1980s didn't happen yet.

1990-2005 would be the fashion dark ages for men. It felt like people tried so hard to not attract attention that they ended up looking like an eyesore. Cargo shorts, JNCO jeans, "short sleeve" shirts that went past the elbow, ugh. 1980s is just plan hideous. Don't take your style cues from MTV ;D

Short shorts look very disturbing but the 1990s/2000s (and even early 2010s) trend of having baggy "shorts" go way below the knee halfway down the calf looked outright fugly. To think at one point I thought that was normal *shudders*

I also like the classic 1960s mob top/bowl cuts and side-swept hair that many guys try to do in the mid-late 60s with slim pants and long coats. The 1950s not so much. I do like the slicked back hair and leather jackets at the time but it was dominated by crew cuts.

Check for new replies or respond here...