inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Justin Bieber Releases New Album 'Changes'

Written By: temaichi on 02/14/20 at 5:25 pm

Justin Bieber Releases New Album 'Changes'

A lot has happened in the past five years. We’ve entered a new decade.
But one thing we haven’t had is new music from pop star Justin Bieber. That is until now. At midnight on Friday the 14th.

https://www.kiss917.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2020/01/Justin-Bieber-Changes-1024x576.jpg

Justin Bieber released his long-awaited fifth studio album today. The sound of the record is quite mature because we are no longer talking about the teenage pop star no more. This is a married 25 year old man that has been going through changes in his life and challenges which is the reason to why he took a break from the spotlight. Justin has been anxious to come back and do what he loves to do ever since he cancelled the rest of his Purpose tour dates on July 24, 2017 due to mental health issues, but when he performed with Ariana Grande at Coachella 2019 it reminded him that he was meant to be out there performing and creating music. He told the audience that his fifth studio album was on the way that same day. On December 24, 2019 Justin announced that he would be releasing his fifth studio album in 2020.

The album's first single, "Yummy", was released on January 3, 2020.

8EJ3zbKTWQ8

The album's second single, "Intentions", was released on February 7, 2020.

3AyMjyHu1bA

Subject: Re: Justin Bieber Releases New Album 'Changes'

Written By: 2001 on 02/14/20 at 6:02 pm

Yummy was atrocious. That Intentions song sounds OK-decent. I have a feeling this will be a huge downgrade from Purpose; Love Yourself was a masterpiece. I mean, I'll stan since he's a fellow Ontario boy, but I ain't gonna like it!

Written By: temaichi on 02/14/20 at 6:52 pm

Yummy was atrocious. That Intentions song sounds OK-decent. I have a feeling this will be a huge downgrade from Purpose; Love Yourself was a masterpiece. I mean, I'll stan since he's a fellow Ontario boy, but I ain't gonna like it!

This album 'Changes' has already sold 400,000 copies in China alone! 'Purpose' was meh to me.
Personally i think Justin should stick to his roots which is what he did with this album. R&B suits him more then electronic music.

There were some songs i enjoyed from the Purpose era like What do you mean, Love Yourself, and No Sense. Those were amazing.

His new album should do well because it was highly anticipated and he is in fact one of the biggest artists on the planet, but there could also be a possibility that the album dosen't reach up to his predicted sales. He hasn't released an album since almost half a decade ago!

Written By: 2001 on 02/14/20 at 7:04 pm

This album 'Changes' has already sold 400,000 copies in China alone! 'Purpose' was meh to me.
Personally i think Justin should stick to his roots which is what he did with this album. R&B suits him more then electronic music.

There were some songs i enjoyed from the Purpose era like What do you mean, Love Yourself, and No Sense. Those were amazing.

His new album should do well because it was highly anticipated and he is in fact one of the biggest artists on the planet, but there could also be a possibility that the album dosen't reach up to his predicted sales. He hasn't released an album since almost half a decade ago!

:doubt: Chinese people don't buy albums. We'll see how well it does, but I think he shot himself in the foot with Yummy. That was a botched comeback.

Written By: temaichi on 02/14/20 at 7:47 pm

:doubt: Chinese people don't buy albums. We'll see how well it does, but I think he shot himself in the foot with Yummy. That was a botched comeback.

"Yummy" grew on me tbh but do not let that define the rest of the album for you. I know you are a fellow Avril Lavigne fan and this dude went through his battles with lyme disease like she did. Her album is about a year old now and when she released "Dumb Blonde" i was wondering if the rest of the album was gonna sound like that but it was actually mature and her vocals were stronger then ever. I can say the same about Justin's album. "Yummy" is the only upbeat song that would fit the mainstream consumers. I think that is what his record label was going for with that single. Give it a listen when you can. This album is more about his vocals and his married life.

Written By: xenzue on 02/14/20 at 11:33 pm

The fact that GP is already tearing apart this era is an indication that this album probably won't do too well. The production is straight up from 2015. I don't think it will flop but I doubt this will get close to what purpose was commercially.

Written By: temaichi on 02/15/20 at 10:00 am

The fact that GP is already tearing apart this era is an indication that this album probably won't do too well. The production is straight up from 2015. I don't think it will flop but I doubt this will get close to what purpose was commercially.

Update: Justin Bieber 'Changes' received 40,400,051 streams in its first day on Spotify. It is his biggest debut on the platform.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/15/20 at 10:47 am

http://tech.firstpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/bieber-7.jpg

Written By: mc98 on 02/15/20 at 10:50 am

Purpose was much better. A lot of the songs just sound so similar to each other. The only song I like is Intentions but the rest was mediocre and forgettable. Yummy was the worst one  8-P

Written By: temaichi on 02/15/20 at 12:29 pm

http://tech.firstpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/bieber-7.jpg

Good old Facebook memes xD I used to love these!

Written By: temaichi on 02/15/20 at 12:30 pm

Purpose was much better. A lot of the songs just sound so similar to each other. The only song I like is Intentions but the rest was mediocre and forgettable. Yummy was the worst one  8-P

Yeah ok. I hear you on that one tbh :-\\ Purpose had more diversity.

Written By: xenzue on 02/15/20 at 3:17 pm

Update: Justin Bieber 'Changes' received 40,400,051 streams in its first day on Spotify. It is his biggest debut on the platform.

Not a surprise there. Streaming has grown exponentially since 2015. Apple Music didn't even exist before 2015.

Written By: 2001 on 02/16/20 at 5:58 am

Who you callin' GP

Written By: xenzue on 02/16/20 at 3:33 pm

Who you callin' GP

GP = general public

Written By: temaichi on 02/16/20 at 4:12 pm

Not a surprise there. Streaming has grown exponentially since 2015. Apple Music didn't even exist before 2015.

True say. I was not aware of the release year for Apple Music though.
I am suprised the album is doing better then i expected.

Update: Justin Bieber 'Changes' is now certified as DIAMOND on QQMusic for selling over 5 million song units. It is the fastest western male album in HISTORY to achieve this.

Written By: 2001 on 02/17/20 at 11:02 am

GP = general public

I know, it was a joke ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 02/17/20 at 2:00 pm

I can't believe he's been in the business for 10+ years. He became prominent in 2008/2009, and it's now 2020. Good job Bieber!  :)

Written By: Sman12 on 02/17/20 at 3:28 pm

I can't believe he's been in the business for 10+ years. He became prominent in 2008/2009, and it's now 2020. Good job Bieber!  :)

As much as I hate his music (and sometimes his persona), I find his duration in the music industry respectable.

Written By: temaichi on 02/17/20 at 7:32 pm

Yeah, it has been fun to watch him grow up. He is one of the biggest if not the biggest artist in the world right now.
I feel like he is gonna be an icon in the modern world very much like Elvis, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Prince etc. This was only his first decade in the industry. Just wait for a few more and people will understand how powerful he is.

Written By: temaichi on 02/17/20 at 7:42 pm

As much as I hate his music (and sometimes his persona), I find his duration in the music industry respectable.

I remember when Justin first blew up, i was one of them kids that hated him, but just like many others it was mainly because of the girls he was getting and i was quite jelous haha. By the the time he released his third album "Believe" that is when i started to respect Justin Bieber as an artist and i remember kids blasting his music out loud without feeling any shame.

Bieber went through alot of bullying early in his career and people saw him as just an another upcoming kid that would be washed up by fame and money. Every human makes mistakes, he just happened to be growing up in the spotlight, but here we are a decade later and Justin Bieber is still relevant and wise. He has learned from his past mistakes and he is dedicated to make a difference in the world.

You should check his recent interviews. I can not even recognise him anymore! I am just proud of him.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/17/20 at 8:50 pm

Yeah, it has been fun to watch him grow up. He is one of the biggest if not the biggest artist in the world right now.
I feel like he is gonna be an icon in the modern world very much like Elvis, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Prince etc. This was only his first decade in the industry. Just wait for a few more and people will understand how powerful he is.

I certainly don't want to get into Bieber bashing as a person my age who came through the GREAT music of the 60s and 70s might. I suppose he has his place and I wish him well. But to put him in the same category as ELVIS? Or PRINCE?  I'm sorry, but that's just a bridge too far. Even people far, far better than Bieber are not in the same category with Elvis or Prince.

Written By: temaichi on 02/17/20 at 9:59 pm

I certainly don't want to get into Bieber bashing as a person my age who came through the GREAT music of the 60s and 70s might. I suppose he has his place and I wish him well. But to put him in the same category as ELVIS? Or PRINCE?  I'm sorry, but that's just a bridge too far. Even people far, far better than Bieber are not in the same category with Elvis or Prince.

I knew this was coming...

It sounds funny now, but i am talking about the coming generations in the future. They will see Bieber as a legend. You don't have a choosing in which artists kids of this day and age would categorise as an icon or a legend. That is for them to choose. I will admit that not all people were fortunate enough to live through an amazing era of music like you did. I would rather go back in time then visit the future because i honestly do not like the direction of where music is going.

Every generation has an icon and a legend. Some people will not come to terms in who could go down in history as one of the greatest before it's already too late...

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/17/20 at 10:11 pm

You don't have a choosing in which artists kids of this day and age would categorise as an icon or a legend. That is for them to choose. 

That's why I was treading carefully.

"Every generation throws a hero up the pop charts"
-Paul Simon
"Boy In the Bubble"

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/17/20 at 10:28 pm

I knew this was coming...

It sounds funny now, but i am talking about the coming generations in the future. They will see Bieber as a legend. You don't have a choosing in which artists kids of this day and age would categorise as an icon or a legend. That is for them to choose. I will admit that not all people were fortunate enough to live through an amazing era of music like you did. I would rather go back in time then visit the future because i honestly do not like the direction of where music is going.

Every generation has an icon and a legend. Some people will not come to terms in who could go down in history as one of the greatest before it's already too late...

People these days call everyone a legend. I've heard people call J-Kwon a legend, but most people probably don't even remember who he is. The term has really lost its meaning tbh. JB will never be mentioned with the likes of MJ, Prince, or Madonna. You could probably call him an icon though.

Written By: temaichi on 02/18/20 at 4:29 am

People these days call everyone a legend. I've heard people call J-Kwon a legend, but most people probably don't even remember who he is. The term has really lost its meaning tbh. JB will never be mentioned with the likes of MJ, Prince, or Madonna. You could probably call him an icon though.

That was the point i was trying to make!! Everyone is making up their own legend and if you do not agree with their personal views there is nothing you could do about it to change it. Lil Wayne is heavily considered to be a legend in the current world.

Written By: temaichi on 02/18/20 at 4:56 am

That's why I was treading carefully.

"Every generation throws a hero up the pop charts"
-Paul Simon
"Boy In the Bubble"

I wouldn't put Bieber in the same bracket as Michael Jackson, but there will be kids in the future that will 100% see him as a legend. Numbers do not lie. He is the most followed human being across all social media platforms. Bieber has sold over 105 million records in the US alone, making him one of the world's best-selling music artists of all time.

He is a grown man now and i feel like it is time for him to impact people the way our past legends did. He has already confirmed in his most recent interview that his next album will be about polictics and the reality of our world today which is the type of music our youth needs to hear. If you listen to his old music and again watch his most recent interview you can tell that he genuinely cares about the humanity in this world. He is still young and have decades to prove his worth!

T_fw3qNx1OM

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/18/20 at 8:44 am

That was the point i was trying to make!! Everyone is making up their own legend and if you do not agree with their personal views there is nothing you could do about it to change it. Lil Wayne is heavily considered to be a legend in the current world.

Lil Wayne is a legend, even then, he will never be mentioned with Prince, MJ, or Madonna and neither will Justin Beiber. Those 3 epitomize the word legend. There are no opinions or disputes about it. You can argue against Bieber/Wayne being a legend, that's the difference. So, it doesn't really matter what people's opinions are.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/18/20 at 9:51 am

The way how I view music legends are those who irrevocably change the course of popular music, like MJ, Elvis, Madonna, Prince, Mariah Carey, The Beatles, etc. Each and every one of them had a major impact on music and inspired numerous stars that came after them.

I agree that Justin Bieber is an icon, but for him to be put amongst the ranks of the all-time greats or calling him a legend is really a stretch. I wouldn't even put Justin Timberlake or Britney Spears down as legends.

Written By: temaichi on 02/18/20 at 11:53 am

Lil Wayne is a legend, even then, he will never be mentioned with Prince, MJ, or Madonna and neither will Justin Beiber. Those 3 epitomize the word legend. There are no opinions or disputes about it. You can argue against Bieber/Wayne being a legend, that's the difference. So, it doesn't really matter what people's opinions are.

Only time will tell. It is hard to compare someone such as Bieber who has only been in the industry for about a decade to some legendary musicans that have been successful for more then one decade (Atleast three of them which is impressive.)

The attention span with our generation is short nowadays so i do not know how relevant he is gonna be in the future. We will have to see.

Written By: temaichi on 02/18/20 at 12:05 pm

The way how I view music legends are those who irrevocably change the course of popular music, like MJ, Elvis, Madonna, Prince, Mariah Carey, The Beatles, etc. Each and every one of them had a major impact on music and inspired numerous stars that came after them.

I agree that Justin Bieber is an icon, but for him to be put amongst the ranks of the all-time greats or calling him a legend is really a stretch. I wouldn't even put Justin Timberlake or Britney Spears down as legends.

That is how i would view it aswell, but I mean everything if not most things have realistically been done in the music industry. It is getting harder to create history for modern artists. Lady Gaga changed the course of popular music, but nobody would put her in the same category as MJ, Elvis, Madonna and Prince either.

Bieber's influence was heavily compared to Elvis or The Beatles early on in his career. It will take time for him to prove his worth and nobody will really know how long he is gonna be here for. He said he wanted to focus on his family life once he gets children. Maybe that could potentially be the end of his music career? It has been a good run for Bieber so far. Like i said earlier, only time will tell.

Written By: 2001 on 02/18/20 at 1:32 pm

If Beiber is a legend then so is Katy Perry.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/19/20 at 10:55 pm

If Beiber is a legend then so is Katy Perry.

;D I swear, the "legend" term has been overused so much, it lost all of its meaning.

Written By: KatanaChick on 02/20/20 at 2:03 pm

I don't listen to his crap. Selena Gomez wrote a song "Lose you to love me" about how awful he was to her when she was with him. Not that it's a surprise seeing how arrogant he is.  :( >:(

Written By: temaichi on 02/21/20 at 6:12 pm

I don't listen to his crap. Selena Gomez wrote a song "Lose you to love me" about how awful he was to her when she was with him. Not that it's a surprise seeing how arrogant he is.  :( >:(

That is what you would hear from the internet detectives on social media who has no clue on what they are talking about. Both of them were toxic to each other. They had to seperate because it was for the best. Neither of them were innocent in that situation. It is refreshing to hear material that is not about Selena or his past relationships with that being said, "Lose you to love me" was actually one of my fav mainstream songs from last year, but you can tell who has moved on and who has not.

Subject: Justin Bieber beats Elvis Presley's US chart record

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/20 at 7:33 am

Justin Bieber's seventh album, Changes, has debuted at the top of the US Billboard chart - beating a record set by Elvis Presley 59 years ago. The Canadian singer is now the youngest solo artist to achieve seven number one albums, at the age of 25 years. Elvis was 26 when he scored his seventh chart-topper, with Blue Hawaii in 1961. Changes, which is Bieber's first album in four years, sold 231,000 copies last week to reach number one. It also topped the UK chart last week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51547686

Subject: Re: Justin Bieber beats Elvis Presley's US chart record

Written By: temaichi on 02/24/20 at 6:59 pm

Justin Bieber's seventh album, Changes, has debuted at the top of the US Billboard chart - beating a record set by Elvis Presley 59 years ago. The Canadian singer is now the youngest solo artist to achieve seven number one albums, at the age of 25 years. Elvis was 26 when he scored his seventh chart-topper, with Blue Hawaii in 1961. Changes, which is Bieber's first album in four years, sold 231,000 copies last week to reach number one. It also topped the UK chart last week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51547686

I heard and i can't believe it. I am genuinley happy for Bieber and i can not wait for what the future has to offer. This is history being made right before our eyes, but people still fail to understand the power that he has. Hopefully that same energy will carry on throughout this decade.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/24/20 at 8:33 pm

Almost every song on "Changes" sounds the same as "Yummy" and is a chore to listen to. The album sucks; no track was insightful nor pleasantly memorable to me.

Check for new replies or respond here...