inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: So when's the next "shift"?

Written By: Slim95 on 02/18/20 at 12:27 am

We all know about the big shifts that happen. The last biggest one was in 2008. But we had notable shifts in 2013 and 2016 since then. We haven't had a shift since 2016, it's been a while. Do you think 2020 or 2021 will be the next years with a shift given the election? Or we will have to wait even longer until a shift happens? I think 2020 will be a shifting year honestly. I'm already seeing hints but nothing big has happened yet but it probably will start to change this summer.

Subject: Re: So when's the next "shift"?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/18/20 at 2:13 am

The "shift" is happening right now in all aspects, culturally, politically, socially and climatically. No need to go in complete details for many other topics on the boards here cover those aspects.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 02/18/20 at 5:14 am

The next shift is tomorrow morning, when I start work.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/18/20 at 5:19 am

O0

;D

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/18/20 at 9:12 am

I think we will be on here debating whether the shift occurred in 2020, 2021, or 2022. My prediction is 2021 as it tends to be the year after the elections, even if (and likely) Trump gets re-elected. Although some say that it's the actual election years such as 2008 and 2016 when the shift occurs.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/18/20 at 11:44 am

Well, I think nothing pop-culture wise will drastically change for now, but I might be surprised.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/18/20 at 12:39 pm

:P
I think we will be on here debating whether the shift occurred in 2020, 2021, or 2022. My prediction is 2021 as it tends to be the year after the elections, even if (and likely) Trump gets re-elected. Although some say that it's the actual election years such as 2008 and 2016 when the shift occurs.

Usually it's the election years such as 2008 and 2016 but not all the time. 2012 for example had no shift but 2013 did. It's possible either 2020 or 2021 will be the year where changes start to happen. The culture we're in now is long in the tooth so I hope it's soon.

Written By: 2001 on 02/18/20 at 12:58 pm

There hasn't been a cultural shift since 1999.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/18/20 at 2:25 pm

When the fat lady sings.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/18/20 at 2:36 pm

Not working on the nightshift?

Written By: Howard on 02/18/20 at 2:53 pm

Not working on the nightshift?

My shift is tomorrow in the afternoon 12-445pm.

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/23/20 at 10:01 pm

2024-2025 will have a pronounced shift

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 02/23/20 at 10:36 pm

We all know about the big shifts that happen. The last biggest one was in 2008. But we had notable shifts in 2013 and 2016 since then. We haven't had a shift since 2016, it's been a while. Do you think 2020 or 2021 will be the next years with a shift given the election? Or we will have to wait even longer until a shift happens? I think 2020 will be a shifting year honestly. I'm already seeing hints but nothing big has happened yet but it probably will start to change this summer.
Well, in gaming there is gonna be a shift with the PS5's and Xbox Series X's release, and the planned obsolescence for 1080p TV's and 8K will gain more attention, somewhere in late 2020... I think 2021 might be more of a transitional year than just a jarring 2006 shift, just like 2001...

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/25/20 at 2:45 pm

Well, in gaming there is gonna be a shift with the PS5's and Xbox Series X's release, and the planned obsolescence for 1080p TV's and 8K will gain more attention, somewhere in late 2020... I think 2021 might be more of a transitional year than just a jarring 2006 shift, just like 2001...

I can forsee people comparing 2021 to 2006 looking back, just like how 2006 always got compared to 1991.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/25/20 at 4:34 pm

True. The 21st century will always have its form even when its 2090.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/25/20 at 6:56 pm

I can forsee people comparing 2021 to 2006 looking back, just like how 2006 always got compared to 1991.

What exactly happened in 2006 that made the pop culture shift? I'm sort of out of the loop on that one.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/25/20 at 7:21 pm

What exactly happened in 2006 that made the pop culture shift? I'm sort of out of the loop on that one.

I don't really see it but people on here make it out to be the year that everything changed, like the style of music. They make Justin Timberlake's FutureSex/LoveSounds album to out be like Nirvana'a Nevermind album.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/25/20 at 8:33 pm

A shift should happen this year. 2020 is off to a slow start.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/25/20 at 9:12 pm

I don't really see it but people on here make it out to be the year that everything changed, like the style of music. They make Justin Timberlake's FutureSex/LoveSounds album to out be like Nirvana'a Nevermind album.

Well, I kinda get their point, considering that FutureSex was influential in bringing more electro-R&B and EDM sounds to pop radio. But Nevermind opened up an entire umbrella rock subgenre to the masses, so Nirvana's impact was a lot more seismic.

Written By: The Master on 02/26/20 at 2:11 am

There may be SLIGHT shift when the next president is elected/re-elected. But nothing too different.

The real change will probably be in 2024. IMO that’s when the real ‘20s’ will start. I have a feeling the 2020s will probably follow the pattern of 1960s like how the 60s formed an identity around 63/64. 2024 is also another election year (in the U.S. anyway)

OR the 2010s pop culture/zeitgeist was so horrible it f***** it up for the future decades and it will never recover.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/26/20 at 3:50 am

There may be SLIGHT shift when the next president is elected/re-elected. But nothing too different.

The real change will probably be in 2024. IMO that’s when the real ‘20s’ will start. I have a feeling the 2020s will probably follow the pattern of 1960s like how the 60s formed an identity around 63/64. 2024 is also another election year (in the U.S. anyway)

OR the 2010s pop culture/zeitgeist was so horrible it f***** it up for the future decades and it will never recover.
Will there be a big 'shift' if the president is not elected?

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/26/20 at 6:36 am

My prediction is that if Trump gets re-elected, which he probably will, then there will be a gradual transitional shift in 2021 similar to 2005 after Bush got re-elected. Although on here people will compare it more to 2006 as they see a 15 year parallel pop-culture wise, but politically I see a 16 year parallel because of the elections that occur every 4 years. That said I think 2024 will be similar to 2008 (which was similar to 1992) in which a Democrat gets elected for the first term.

Well, I kinda get their point, considering that FutureSex was influential in bringing more electro-R&B and EDM sounds to pop radio. But Nevermind opened up an entire umbrella rock subgenre to the masses, so Nirvana's impact was a lot more seismic.

I always thought of 2007 being more similar to 1991 as far as the overall vibe, but in 2007 there was no album equivalent to Nevermind or any type of sub genre of rock for that matter. I also thought of the electro dance pop of the mid-to-late 00's to be more like the dance music of the early 90's. Speaking of which, in 2006 T.I. released a song that sampled the Gypsy Woman (She's Homeless) from 1991.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/26/20 at 6:52 am

Will there be a big 'shift' if the president is not elected?

Either way there will be a shift. Ronald Reagan’s second term was nothing like his first term. Many would argue that better pop culture came out during Reagan’s first term.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/26/20 at 7:20 am

Either way there will be a shift. Ronald Reagan’s second term was nothing like his first term. Many would argue that better pop culture came out during Reagan’s first term.

Same with GWB (as mentioned earlier), also during Obama and Bill Clinton's second terms.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/26/20 at 7:24 am

Speaking as a foreigner to the US shore, was Ronald Reagan’s second term to the better or to the worse?

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/26/20 at 8:04 am

Speaking as a foreigner to the US shore, was Ronald Reagan’s second term to the better or to the worse?

I liked his second term era more, even though I was too young to remember most of his first term and it did have a lot of good music as well. I really enjoyed the era of soft rock/pop like A-ha, Wang Chung, Huey Lewis and the News, and so many others.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/26/20 at 8:18 am

I liked his second term era more, even though I was too young to remember most of his first term and it did have a lot of good music as well. I really enjoyed the era of soft rock/pop like A-ha, Wang Chung, Huey Lewis and the News, and so many others.
Thank you for the insight in to this.

When I hear Huey Lewis and the News, I always think of BttF.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/26/20 at 8:28 am

Thank you for the insight in to this.

When I hear Huey Lewis and the News, I always think of BttF.

Yeah, "Power of Love" was one their big hits, from 1985. Their other hit songs were "Hip to Be a Square" (1986) and one of my personal favorites, "Perfect World" (1988).

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/26/20 at 8:31 am

Yeah, "Power of Love" was one their big hits, from 1985. Their other hit songs were "Hip to Be a Square" (1986) and one of my personal favorites, "Perfect World" (1988).
...and his appearance in BttF.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/26/20 at 10:04 am

My prediction is that if Trump gets re-elected, which he probably will, then there will be a gradual transitional shift in 2021 similar to 2005 after Bush got re-elected. Although on here people will compare it more to 2006 as they see a 15 year parallel pop-culture wise, but politically I see a 16 year parallel because of the elections that occur every 4 years. That said I think 2024 will be similar to 2008 (which was similar to 1992) in which a Democrat gets elected for the first term.

I always thought of 2007 being more similar to 1991 as far as the overall vibe, but in 2007 there was no album equivalent to Nevermind or any type of sub genre of rock for that matter. I also thought of the electro dance pop of the mid-to-late 00's to be more like the dance music of the early 90's. Speaking of which, in 2006 T.I. released a song that sampled the Gypsy Woman (She's Homeless) from 1991.

Your thinking does make historical sense. Ever since Bush 41, the party pendulum shifted from Republican to Democrat to Republican to Democrat to Republican yet again.

I also think that 2020 might be an extension of the late 2010s considering that nothing extraordinary really happened in pop culture as of yet (except for the PS5 and Series X coming out later).

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/26/20 at 2:17 pm

Same with GWB (as mentioned earlier), also during Obama and Bill Clinton's second terms.

Next year, we could all very well be living during Trump’s second term.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/26/20 at 3:12 pm

Hey guys early 2020s music has been established now. Check out my thread "Early 2020s Music".

Written By: The Master on 02/26/20 at 4:12 pm

Hey guys early 2020s music has been established now. Check out my thread "Early 2020s Music".

No it hasn't. It's just late 2010s music. Nothing has changed. Stop trying to make out as if theres been some shift.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/26/20 at 4:46 pm

No it hasn't. It's just late 2010s music. Nothing has changed. Stop trying to make out as if theres been some shift.

Yes it has did you even go the the thread and listen to the songs? What sounds 2010s about it?

Written By: The Master on 02/26/20 at 5:05 pm

Yes it has did you even go the the thread and listen to the songs? What sounds 2010s about it?

Okay well lets see...

Alessia Cara - October : basic corny run of the mill pop song

Post Malone - Circles : Average atmospheric 2010s song

Delaney Jane - Safe With You: Another corny basic ass pop song with a tired trap beat infused with that disgusting weird accent vocals most people during the 2010s (and now) sing with

The Man - Taylor Swift: Taylor Swift - Automatically DATED. Nothing about this song is forward pushing or sounds different from her other work. Redundant.

SZA, Justin Timberlake - The Other Side: Sounds like a rehash of a song from that era in 2013 when they were making those annoying, tired disco tracks.

Billie Eilish - Everything I Wanted: Again nothing about this song is forward pushing or different. It's boring (like all of her songs) and could have come out in 2012 or something.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/26/20 at 8:07 pm

Alessia Cara, Post Malone, SZA, and Billie Eilish will be 2010s and 2020s artists. Change doesn’t happen overnight. The New Kids on the Block are mostly known for “The Right Stuff” and “Hangin’ Tough”, but they had one last number one hit in 1990 with “Step by Step”. So, the New Kids on the Block were 80s and 90s artists.

Written By: The Master on 02/27/20 at 3:20 am

Alessia Cara, Post Malone, SZA, and Billie Eilish will be 2010s and 2020s artists. Change doesn’t happen overnight. The New Kids on the Block are mostly known for “The Right Stuff” and “Hangin’ Tough”, but they had one last number one hit in 1990 with “Step by Step”. So, the New Kids on the Block were 80s and 90s artists.

I hope these artists don’t end up defining the 2020s musically because then the 2020s will just be the 2010s Part II. Nothing about them screams different, unique or that they’re pushing the culture forward, but oh well, we’ll just have to see I guess.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/27/20 at 6:54 am

I hope these artists don’t end up defining the 2020s musically because then the 2020s will just be the 2010s Part II. Nothing about them screams different, unique or that they’re pushing the culture forward, but oh well, we’ll just have to see I guess.

Those artists might wind up defining this part of the 2020s, but their fame might not be what it was in the 2010s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/27/20 at 8:43 am

Guaranteed it will be a big year for Billie Eilish, for she is singing the Bond song for the next James Bond movie "No Time To Die", to be released in April

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 02/27/20 at 9:02 am

As you guys might've noticed, pop culture is OUT OF CONTROL right now with the pessimism, so it's hard for us to know when its gonna come. Still, the optimistic vibe will come back one day no matter how far.

Written By: mc98 on 02/27/20 at 9:13 am

As you guys might've noticed, pop culture is OUT OF CONTROL right now with the pessimism, so it's hard for us to know when its gonna come. Still, the optimistic vibe will come back one day no matter how far.

What do you think of the music of 2020? I think it's going better than 2019.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/27/20 at 9:15 am

For me, personally speaking it sounds the same.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/27/20 at 10:34 am

For me, personally speaking it sounds the same.

It sounds the same to me as well.  "The Box" (a trap song) just entered its seventh week on the Hot 100, so that still confirms my belief that 2020 is an extension of last year.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 02/27/20 at 10:39 am

Yeah actually, it's a bit better than 2019 as at least there are some upbeat songs or ones that are interesting

Written By: Slim95 on 02/27/20 at 12:10 pm

It's the same but there are a couple changes going on as well with the new foldable phones and new streaming services like Disney+.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/27/20 at 9:09 pm

It's the same but there are a couple changes going on as well with the new foldable phones and new streaming services like Disney+.

Do you think streaming services will take over as this century goes on?

Written By: Sman12 on 02/27/20 at 9:20 pm

Do you think streaming services will take over as this century goes on?

It already has. Mainstream cable TV's on the brink of being defunct, while streaming cable like YouTube TV and video services like Netflix and Hulu are becoming more popular.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/28/20 at 10:59 am

Disney+ and Mandelorian started in late 2019, and you can say there was a small shift then. Also some of the good music I'm hearing now was actually released in 2019 but have just been "hiding" until now.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/28/20 at 12:39 pm

Disney+ and Mandelorian started in late 2019, and you can say there was a small shift then. Also some of the good music I'm hearing now was actually released in 2019 but have just been "hiding" until now.

You're right. Although I wouldn't consider it "good music" but you're right it was released in late 2019 and just making itself known now. Shifts happen gradually anyway.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/28/20 at 3:46 pm

The Mandalorian will be remembered as a late 2010s phenomenon by pop culture fans, but it will be an early 2020s thing in the future to people who lived in the early 2020s. 2019 was close enough to 2020, so some could say the early 2020s started in 2019. It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/29/20 at 3:41 am

I'm feeling the shift now as we speak. The vibe is getting darker and more serious, rock beats are being used in pop songs now, the culture is starting to feel "removed" from last decade's if you know what I mean. I feel like we are in the middle of a change.

It's hilarious how a shift occurs usually right after Justin Timberlake makes a comeback.  ;D In 2006 it was with Sexy Back and there was a shift, in 2013 it was Suit and Tie and there was a shift, in 2016 it was Can't Stop This Feeling and there was a shift, and now in 2020 it is The Other Side and there seems to be a shift.  :o ;D

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/29/20 at 6:02 am

I'm feeling the shift now as we speak. The vibe is getting darker and more serious, rock beats are being used in pop songs now, the culture is starting to feel "removed" from last decade's if you know what I mean. I feel like we are in the middle of a change.

It's hilarious how a shift occurs usually right after Justin Timberlake makes a comeback.  ;D In 2006 it was with Sexy Back and there was a shift, in 2013 it was Suit and Tie and there was a shift, in 2016 it was Can't Stop This Feeling and there was a shift, and now in 2020 it is The Other Side and there seems to be a shift.  :o ;D

What about in 2018 with Filthy? I remember thinking that song was going to set the style for music but it was just that one. Even the rest of the Man of the Woods album sounded completely different.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/29/20 at 9:24 am

So you think we're gonna have a disco-funk revival? It wouldn't surprise me, either. I've been hearing disco and funk elements with songs like "The Other Side" and "Don't Start Now", so that'd be cool to see.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/29/20 at 9:56 am

We are living in the 2020s already, but the shift we’re talking about should occur between March or April and last until December of this year.

Written By: The Master on 02/29/20 at 10:01 am

Just because YOUR personal life is good or whatever doesn't mean there is a shift. Give it up dude, nothing is really changing. Where are these supposed "rock beats" you're hearing in music? Everything in music is still the same; Redundant, played out trap music and boring minimalistic EDM. Back in the 2010s you complained that nothing was changing all of a sudden now that (as you claim) your personal life is good there is a change in pop culture? Lol you sound like a narcissist.

And Justin Timberlake has no correlation to this. In 2018 with Man of the woods there was absolutely no shift at all.

Written By: The Master on 02/29/20 at 10:07 am

We are living in the 2020s already, but the shift we’re talking about should occur between March or April and last until December of this year.

Numerically yes we are in the 2020s. When you look at the calendar, yes we are in the 2020s. But nothing is changing and I doubt there is going to be a change of any significance this year. Like I said already the 2020s will probably be a 'late bloomer' decade. In the future when you think of the "stereotypical 2020s culture/zeitgiest" it won't be this time period (early 20s).

Written By: Sman12 on 02/29/20 at 11:13 am

Numerically yes we are in the 2020s. When you look at the calendar, yes we are in the 2020s. But nothing is changing and I doubt there is going to be a change of any significance this year. Like I said already the 2020s will probably be a 'late bloomer' decade. In the future when you think of the "stereotypical 2020s culture/zeitgiest" it won't be this time period (early 20s).

Well, who knows? There could be a huge cultural shift that'll happen later this year that'll differentiate 2020 from the late 2010s.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/29/20 at 12:09 pm

2022 or 2023 is the year you wish you were living in, then. The rest of us are trying to enjoy the current day: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=61051.msg3889184#msg3889184

Written By: Slim95 on 02/29/20 at 12:28 pm

What about in 2018 with Filthy? I remember thinking that song was going to set the style for music but it was just that one. Even the rest of the Man of the Woods album sounded completely different.

Oh yeah I forgot about that song. Nothing changed after he released it but you're right it sounded pretty different.

Written By: The Master on 02/29/20 at 12:31 pm

2022 or 2023 is the year you wish you were living in, then. The rest of us are trying to enjoy the current day: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=61051.msg3889184#msg3889184

Most of these things on this list have been popular for most of the 2010s or at least since 2017. N O T H I N G    H A S    C H A N G E D.

And I wouldn't want to be living in any year post-2007 actually. Not sure how you guys can enjoy the current day when Coronavirus is wiping the human race out.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/29/20 at 12:35 pm

Most of these things on this list have been popular for most of the 2010s or at least since 2017. N O T H I N G    H A S    C H A N G E D.

And I wouldn't want to be living in any year post-2007 actually. Not sure how you guys can enjoy the current day when Coronavirus is wiping the human race out.

The most recent shift occurred in the late 2010s. As you know, it takes awhile for changes to happen in every time period. Right now, we’re slowly walking away from the early 2020s and towards the mid 2020s. The early 20s have their identity already. The early 2020s are the Flaming Hot Frito Lay products, Baby Yoda, and Billie Eilish early 2020s. That’s the point I was trying to make with my thread about the early 2020s atmosphere.

Also, this is coming from someone who used to roll up their sleeves in the early 1990s like I started to do in the mid to late 1980s.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/29/20 at 12:43 pm

The most recent shift occurred in the late 2010s. As you know, it takes awhile for changes to happen in every time period. Right now, we’re slowly walking away from the early 2020s and towards the mid 2020s. The early 20s have their identity already. The early 2020s are the Flaming Hot Frito Lay products, Baby Yoda, and Billie Eilish early 2020s. That’s the point I was trying to make with my thread about the early 2020s atmosphere.

Also, this is coming from someone who used to roll up their sleeves in the early 1990s like I started to do in the mid to late 1980s.

Yup exactly. I'm glad someone else gets it and notices it. These new trends that are coming out today are not going to vanish, they will be with us in the early 2020s era so they are part of that era too. The Mandelorian just came out and so did the other streaming shows. Foldable phones finally became somewhat affordable to the average consumer with the new Samsung Z Flip. Music is finding its sound now too. These are all changes happening now and part of what will be remembered as early 2020s culture.

Written By: The Master on 02/29/20 at 12:45 pm

How are we walking away from the early 2020s when its only the second (nearly third) month of the first year of the decade? Not trying to be rude just asking... And if Baby Yoda, and Billie Eilish are examples of 2020s culture then pop culture is DEAD. RIP POP CULTURE 1964-2011.

Written By: The Master on 02/29/20 at 12:51 pm

The same people on this forum probably thought in 2010 Kesha would be a 2010s defining artist  ;D  ;D ;D

I can assure you guys foldable phones and Billie Eilish or whatever doesn't mean the 2020s have started culturally. Billie Eilish is achieving way too much in such a short space of time shes gonna burn out QUICK.

People are trying to convince (Delude) themselves into thinking that culture/overall zeitgeist is changing just because their personal lives are finally improving  ;D ;D ;D

You guys sound like people in 1990 who thought MC Hammer would be a 90s defining artist  ;D ;D ;D 

Written By: Slim95 on 02/29/20 at 12:53 pm

How are we walking away from the early 2020s when its only the second (nearly third) month of the first year of the decade? Not trying to be rude just asking... And if Baby Yoda, and Billie Eilish are examples of 2020s culture then pop culture is DEAD. RIP POP CULTURE 1964-2011.

Pop culture has been dead for a long time, it is what it is. It doesn't change the fact that we are in 2020 now and we can see where things are headed now for the early '20s.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/29/20 at 12:53 pm

Just because YOUR personal life is good or whatever doesn't mean there is a shift. Give it up dude, nothing is really changing. Where are these supposed "rock beats" you're hearing in music? Everything in music is still the same; Redundant, played out trap music and boring minimalistic EDM. Back in the 2010s you complained that nothing was changing all of a sudden now that (as you claim) your personal life is good there is a change in pop culture? Lol you sound like a narcissist.

And Justin Timberlake has no correlation to this. In 2018 with Man of the woods there was absolutely no shift at all.

Uh calm down..  ??? I never related my personal life to the culture they are two different things. Nor do I like the culture, I made that clear before, I'm just pointing things out the way I see them. Billie Eilish and Post Malone will not be going away in the early 2020s they will probably get more big. I don't think Billie Eilish even reached her peak. She will be significant in the early 2020s.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/29/20 at 12:57 pm

The same people on this forum probably thought in 2010 Kesha would be a 2010s defining artist  ;D  ;D ;D

I can assure you guys foldable phones and Billie Eilish or whatever doesn't mean the 2020s have started culturally. Billie Eilish is achieving way too much in such a short space of time shes gonna burn out QUICK.

People are trying to convince (Delude) themselves into that culture/overall zeitgeist is changing just because their personal lives are finally improving  ;D ;D ;D

You guys sound like people in 1990 who thought MC Hammer would be 90s defining artist  ;D ;D ;D

Straw man arguments. Taking ONE POST I made before and trying to connect the two for some reason.

We are saying there is a shift happening because there is one whether you like it or not. We are only telling the facts. If you don't like it, fine, I don't like the culture either. But doesn't mean things aren't changing right now as we speak.

The early 2020s will most likely have a dystopian vibe. That's the vibe going on right now and the coronavirus only makes this dystopia vibe stronger. You can see and feel this vibe in the pop music now too.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/29/20 at 1:10 pm

Yup exactly. I'm glad someone else gets it and notices it. These new trends that are coming out today are not going to vanish, they will be with us in the early 2020s era so they are part of that era too. The Mandelorian just came out and so did the other streaming shows. Foldable phones finally became somewhat affordable to the average consumer with the new Samsung Z Flip. Music is finding its sound now too. These are all changes happening now and part of what will be remembered as early 2020s culture.

I think The Master is looking for events that will define the year 2020 and not taking notice of how we are living in a post-2019 time period (the early 2020s). Technically, Disney Plus and The Mandalorian will be remembered as 2019 things, but older people will recall the Baby Yoda merchandising boom of the actual early 2020s.

There are some year 2020 defining moments like Sonic the Hedgehog being in theaters, the Coronavirus (Covid-9), and the new Samsung Z Flip being released, but not enough for the moment. We all must remember how films like Home Alone, Edward Scissorhands, and Dances with Wolves (both from late 1990) went on to define the year 1990 better than Pretty Woman, TMNT the movie, and The Seinfeld Chronicles. Shifts happen gradually. By 2023, we will all be able to pinpoint the things that will make up the mid 2020s atmosphere (new early 2020s things).

The early 2020s atmosphere was being built in the late 2010s. The mid 2020s atmosphere is being formed in this time (the early 2020s).

People are trying to convince (Delude) themselves into that culture/overall zeitgeist is changing just because their personal lives are finally improving  ;D ;D ;D

You guys sound like people in 1990 who thought MC Hammer would be 90s defining artist  ;D ;D ;D

“U Can’t Touch This” and “Pray” were huge early 90s hits. Sure, MC Hammer had good party rap hits in the very late 80s, but his best ever party rap hits were his early 90s hits. MC Hammer may not have defined the 90s music scene like Mariah Carey, Boyz II Men, and Celine Dion, but some music fans followed MC Hammer in the 90s from his “U Can’t Touch This” days to when MC Hammer filed for bankruptcy protection.

To me, MC Hammer, like Michael Bolton, was a 90s artist, but his career went downhill in the 90s like every other artist who started in the 80s and had a few 90s hits.

Written By: mc98 on 02/29/20 at 1:15 pm

Guys, it’s still the early part of the year. Just wait for a while.

Written By: shadowcookie on 02/29/20 at 1:41 pm

I feel like I’m the only person on this forum who doesn’t care about cultural shifts.. like, I was 18 in 2013 and was completely oblivious to the supposed shift that happened that year.

Written By: The Master on 02/29/20 at 2:03 pm

I think The Master is looking for events that will define the year 2020 and not taking notice of how we are living in a post-2019 time period (the early 2020s). Technically, Disney Plus and The Mandalorian will be remembered as 2019 things, but older people will recall the Baby Yoda merchandising boom of the actual early 2020s.

There are some year 2020 defining moments like Sonic the Hedgehog being in theaters, the Coronavirus (Covid-9), and the new Samsung Z Flip being released, but not enough for the moment. We all must remember how films like Home Alone, Edward Scissorhands, and Dances with Wolves (both from late 1990) went on to define the year 1990 better than Pretty Woman, TMNT the movie, and The Seinfeld Chronicles. Shifts happen gradually. By 2023, we will all be able to pinpoint the things that will make up the mid 2020s atmosphere (new early 2020s things).

The early 2020s atmosphere was being built in the late 2010s. The mid 2020s atmosphere is being formed in this time (the early 2020s).

“U Can’t Touch This” and “Pray” were huge early 90s hits. Sure, MC Hammer had good party rap hits in the very late 80s, but his best ever party rap hits were his early 90s hits. MC Hammer may not have defined the 90s music scene like Mariah Carey, Boyz II Men, and Celine Dion, but some music fans followed MC Hammer in the 90s from his “U Can’t Touch This” days to when MC Hammer filed for bankruptcy protection.

To me, MC Hammer, like Michael Bolton, was a 90s artist, but his career went downhill in the 90s like every other artist who started in the 80s and had a few 90s hits.

Ahh okay I get you.

In regards to MC Hammer. My point is I just don't think "artists" like Billie Eilish, Lizzo etc.. The current new ones will be seen as the real defining artists of the 20s. Even the early 20s tbh, I respect Hammer but even he couldn't sustain his run in the early 90s. People like Billie and Lizzo, Doja cat, etc... everything about these "artists" scream 2010s like theres nothing really different about them, they're all straight out of the tumblr factory.

I just don't think we've seen the REAL 2020s artists debut yet. The ones to DEFINE the decade like how Madonna defined the 1980s or musicians like Nirvana, 2PAC, TLC define the 90s. The Spice girls debuted later in the decade and are seen as defining despite only having like a 3/4 year run.

This is what I mean by nothing has really changed in regards to culture and the overall "vibe" of the world. Nothing that differentiates itself from the typical 2010s. Social Media is still dominant, Trap music, basic edm etc... My point its just basically the (late) 2010s still... Culturally. Almost everything popular now will probably be seen and associated with the 2010s in future.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/29/20 at 2:20 pm

^ I never denied we are still in late 2010s culture. I just said changes are happening and there is a shift going on right now as we speak. Don't you know shifts and changes happen gradually?  Some of the things we have now didn't exist just a couple months ago and therefore they will be significant for early 2020s culture. Things are shifting and by January 1, 2021 I believe we will firmly be in the new early '20s culture. 2020 is a transitional year, I am already seeing little hints of changes happening right now.

In the future I can see people combining the very late 2010s and early 2020s as one era.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/29/20 at 3:28 pm

Ahh okay I get you.

In regards to MC Hammer. My point is I just don't think "artists" like Billie Eilish, Lizzo etc.. The current new ones will be seen as the real defining artists of the 20s. Even the early 20s tbh, I respect Hammer but even he couldn't sustain his run in the early 90s. People like Billie and Lizzo, Doja cat, etc... everything about these "artists" scream 2010s like theres nothing really different about them, they're all straight out of the tumblr factory.

I just don't think we've seen the REAL 2020s artists debut yet. The ones to DEFINE the decade like how Madonna defined the 1980s or musicians like Nirvana, 2PAC, TLC define the 90s. The Spice girls debuted later in the decade and are seen as defining despite only having like a 3/4 year run.

This is what I mean by nothing has really changed in regards to culture and the overall "vibe" of the world. Nothing that differentiates itself from the typical 2010s. Social Media is still dominant, Trap music, basic edm etc... My point its just basically the (late) 2010s still... Culturally. Almost everything popular now will probably be seen and associated with the 2010s in future.

MC Hammer’s music was present on the charts from 1987 to 1990. From 1991 to 1995 or 1996, Stanley Kirk Burrell (MC Hammer) changed his name to Hammer in an attempt to be hardcore rapper and that stint failed.

Nirvana mainly had number one US Alternative hits in the mid 90s with “Heart Shaped Box”, “All Apologies/Rape me”, and “About a Girl”. TLC defined the mid 90s all the way into the turn of this century. Whereas, Tupac had three number one US Rap hits. The 90s had a smorgasbord of different musical artists (many were one or two hit wonders).

I know where you are coming from, but everything that came out of the 2010s was made with the intention of being around past the 2010s. The early 2020s atmosphere is similar to that of late 2019 because we were getting to the early 2020s last in late 2019.

Please don’t get me wrong. I want to party like it’s 2029, also. We must be patient.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/29/20 at 4:34 pm

You can't hear rock beats in Post Malone and Harry Styles songs?  ??? I sure can... You can hear pop/rock in those songs. Alessia Cara's song October has it too... And Billie Eilish is more all-pop. You would have not heard these things a couple months ago or at least not in the same way.

Written By: The Master on 02/29/20 at 4:49 pm

MC Hammer’s music was present on the charts from 1987 to 1990. From 1991 to 1995 or 1996, Stanley Kirk Burrell (MC Hammer) changed his name to Hammer in an attempt to be hardcore rapper and that stint failed.

Nirvana mainly had number one US Alternative hits in the mid 90s with “Heart Shaped Box”, “All Apologies/Rape me”, and “About a Girl”. TLC defined the mid 90s all the way into the turn of this century. Whereas, Tupac had three number one US Rap hits. The 90s had a smorgasbord of different musical artists (many were one or two hit wonders).

I know where you are coming from, but everything that came out of the 2010s was made with the intention of being around past the 2010s. The early 2020s atmosphere is similar to that of late 2019 because we were getting to the early 2020s last in late 2019.

Please don’t get me wrong. I want to party like it’s 2029, also. We must be patient.

Yeah true you're right we just have to be patient and see.

Written By: The Master on 02/29/20 at 4:50 pm

^ I never denied we are still in late 2010s culture. I just said changes are happening and there is a shift going on right now as we speak. Don't you know shifts and changes happen gradually?  Some of the things we have now didn't exist just a couple months ago and therefore they will be significant for early 2020s culture. Things are shifting and by January 1, 2021 I believe we will firmly be in the new early '20s culture. 2020 is a transitional year, I am already seeing little hints of changes happening right now.

In the future I can see people combining the very late 2010s and early 2020s as one era.

Hmm.. Okay I respect where you're coming from.

Written By: The Master on 02/29/20 at 4:54 pm

You can't hear rock beats in Post Malone and Harry Styles songs?  ??? I sure can... You can hear pop/rock in those songs. Alessia Cara's song October has it too... And Billie Eilish is more all-pop. You would have not heard these things a couple months ago or at least not in the same way.

Ehh I guess, Its just still abit pop-ish for me. I guess I'm just expecting something more "harder" like metallica's sound or a pearl-jam-esque sound. But whatever we'll have to just wait and see.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/29/20 at 4:56 pm

Yeah true you're right we just have to be patient and see.

Yes, change is already happening now. It's simply being polished and updated from the things we saw in 2019. We've already had hints of what the early 2020s will bring for a while now in the late 2010s. Change happens gradually and I believe we are currently in a shift right now.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/29/20 at 4:56 pm

Ehh I guess, Its just still abit pop-ish for me. I guess I'm just expecting something more "harder" like metallica's sound or a pearl-jam-esque sound. But whatever we'll have to just wait and see.

Yeah that's a good point. We will see. I don't know if rock will come back or not but we'll find out soon enough haha.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/29/20 at 6:48 pm

Yes, change is already happening now. It's simply being polished and updated from the things we saw in 2019. We've already had hints of what the early 2020s will bring for a while now in the late 2010s. Change happens gradually and I believe we are currently in a shift right now.

You’re right on the money! We’re elevating ourselves from the Billie Eilish, Animoji, and Baby Yoda very late 2010s and very early 2020s to a different part of the 2020s.

Written By: Criz on 03/07/20 at 9:51 am

Hmm - I don't think I agree with this.

We don't see culture changing because we're living it - but if I think back to what my life was like in 1999, aside from the fact I'm not a teen anymore, day to day life is very different! So much more reliance on technology, the political climate has moved much more to the right - whereas the youth are becoming more politically aware, what we've worn and what listened to in the late 90s went away and lots of aspects have come back with a slightly more modern flair etc...

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/07/20 at 6:26 pm

The shift from the 90s to the 2000s happened in the year 1999.

The shift from the 2000s to 2010s occurred in the year 2011.

The shift from the 2010s to the 2020s is going on now, but you won’t realize it until the end of the year.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 03/07/20 at 10:53 pm

The shift from the 90s to the 2000s happened in the year 1999.

The shift from the 2000s to 2010s occurred in the year 2011.

The shift from the 2010s to the 2020s is going on now, but you won’t realize it until the end of the year.

Sorry if I sound kinda over-reactive here but I think you're confusing the 2000s with the Y2K era, because Early 2000s culture started around Mid 2001. Also, the shift to the Y2K era happened in Late 1998, not 1999, but I agree with the rest of your statement  :)

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/07/20 at 10:57 pm

Sorry if I sound kinda over-reactive here but I think you're confusing the 2000s with the Y2K era, because Early 2000s culture started around Mid 2001. Also, the shift to the Y2K era happened in Late 1998, not 1999, but I agree with the rest of your statement  :)

What are you talking about?  ???

Written By: Slim95 on 03/07/20 at 10:58 pm

2020 is the year of the shift. I'm feeling it now. It's a transitional year.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/07/20 at 11:01 pm

2020 is the year of the shift. I'm feeling it now. It's a transitional year.

I guess for some people the year of the shift will be 2022. Not enough change happening right now for us to think of 2020 as a transitional year.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/07/20 at 11:04 pm

I guess for some people the year of the shift will be 2022. Not enough change happening right now for us to think of 2020 as a transitional year.

Coronavirus, presidential election, foldable phones, and more.

Written By: 2001 on 03/07/20 at 11:05 pm

This coronavirus makes 2020 its own special era.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/07/20 at 11:12 pm

Coronavirus, presidential election, foldable phones, and more.

O0

Written By: Slim95 on 03/08/20 at 8:42 am

The same things happening today were similar to the big shift of 2008 - 2009 with the stock markets crashing and the swine flu and election year and stuff. For music and pop culture I am still keeping my eye out but you can tell a shift is coming and something is happening. 2020 is definitely a year of change. Which would mark 2021 as the first full year of 2020s culture as I predicted. But we will see more of these changes happen this year so we will really see what 2020s culture will bring very soon. So far the vibe I'm getting for the culture? Dystopian, you can hear it in the music as well.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/08/20 at 8:51 am

The same things happening today were similar to the big shift of 2008 - 2009 with the stock markets crashing and the swine flu and election year and stuff. For music and pop culture I am still keeping my eye out but you can tell a shift is coming and something is happening. 2020 is definitely a year of change. Which would mark 2021 as the first full year of 2020s culture as I predicted. But we will see more of these changes happen this year so we will really see what 2020s culture will bring very soon. So far the vibe I'm getting for the culture? Dystopian, you can hear it in the music as well.

The aftermath of late 2020 plus the new culture released in 2021 will definitely make 2021 the stronger 2020s year to some pop culture fans.

2020 should be remembered as the year that we were in the 2020s for the first time. The year 2020 has more significance than 2021 already to me because it was the first time we lived in the 2020s.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/08/20 at 8:55 am

The aftermath of late 2020 plus the new culture released in 2021 will definitely make 2021 the stronger 2020s year to some pop culture fans.

2020 should be remembered as the year that we were in the 2020s for the first time. The year 2020 has more significance than 2021 already to me because it was the first time we lived in the 2020s.

Yeah I'm sure it will be

Written By: Sman12 on 03/08/20 at 9:43 am

I'm not sure how presidential administrations reflect pop culture, but I do think 2021 will make 2020s culture stronger. Trap music might run out of ideas at that time and another popular rap subgenre will take its place. Alternative pop, I think, will still continue to be popular, thanks to artists like Billie Eilish.

So it's gonna be interesting how 2021's gonna play out.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/08/20 at 9:48 am

I'm not sure how presidential administrations reflect pop culture, but I do think 2021 will make 2020s culture stronger. Trap music might run out of ideas at that time and another popular rap subgenre will take its place. Alternative pop, I think, will still continue to be popular, thanks to artists like Billie Eilish.

If alternative pop gets more popular it probably won't be considered a late '10s thing but an early '20s thing instead. Billie Eilish only came onto the scene in 2019 anyway.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/08/20 at 10:22 am

In the 2060s, I’m sure people will use the “0 year rule” when discussing the 2020s. It’s funny. Some users on here do not use the “0 year rule” for the 2010s where the rule applies. 2010 was a 2000s year. I refuse to 2010 as the first year of the 2010s because the word ‘decade’ exists.

Written By: 2001 on 03/08/20 at 5:40 pm

Guys, the price of oil just plummeted... Under $30 a barrel.

Welcome to the '20s :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/20/20 at 7:12 am

Right now? The shift into the second wave?

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/20/20 at 9:53 am

I shift my 6 speed manual all the time

Written By: Slim95 on 10/20/20 at 2:50 pm

I think 2020 will be a shifting year honestly. I'm already seeing hints but nothing big has happened yet but it probably will start to change this summer.

I was spot on only the change happened a month after and escalated in the summer.  ;D It's funny looking back at these pre-corona posts, very naïve and innocent lol.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/20/20 at 8:32 pm

Now I wish we could shift in reverse.

8UAjYzTy9LA

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/12/20 at 10:26 am

Do we know how long the shift will be?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/12/20 at 10:52 am

Do we know how long the shift will be?

Three years, give or take.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/12/20 at 11:39 am

Three years, give or take.
Until the twelfth of never and that's a long, long time.

Check for new replies or respond here...