inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2020 is a Good Year

Written By: Slim95 on 02/26/20 at 12:54 pm

Not talking about the culture. But for me personally, I haven't felt this good about a year since 2017. Personal-life wise 2020 is a good year so far. Which is good given it's the start of the new decade. Are you enjoying 2020 so far?

Subject: Re: 2020 is a Good Year

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/26/20 at 1:10 pm

Personally for me, it is a year of change, with my home totally refitted.

...hoping that the 2020 will be much clearer for me.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/26/20 at 1:29 pm

Same. Big year of change for me too.

Written By: The Master on 02/26/20 at 2:13 pm

OP change the title to "2020 is a Good Year FOR ME" then. And it's only February, get back to this thread in December and see if its still a good year.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/26/20 at 2:15 pm

The #DollyPartonChallenge memes have been fun thus far.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 02/26/20 at 7:06 pm

No. But it's really early in the year.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/26/20 at 7:45 pm

This year has been a bit difficult for me personal-wise, but then again I don't know how the rest of the year will turn out.

Written By: Howard on 02/27/20 at 7:20 am

Not talking about the culture. But for me personally, I haven't felt this good about a year since 2017. Personal-life wise 2020 is a good year so far. Which is good given it's the start of the new decade. Are you enjoying 2020 so far?

I guess it's been OK so far.

Written By: Howard on 02/27/20 at 7:21 am

What kind of stupid challenge is that? Women have to start wearing fake boobs for a day? ::)

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/27/20 at 7:51 am

What kind of stupid challenge is that? Women have to start wearing fake boobs for a day? ::)

Actually that was the challenge with a picture split 4 ways with a profile pic (not necessarily their actual ones) from LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, and Tinder.

Anyhow this year has been pretty good for the most part despite all the tragic events in the world, recently its been the Corona virus. The pop culture has been good, a lot of good music and movies in just the first two months into the year.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/27/20 at 8:06 am

Is it charity based?

Written By: Sman12 on 02/27/20 at 8:07 am

Despite the depressing news stories that we've gotten so far this year, pop culture ain't doing so bad IMO, although it is still an extension of 2019. Personally, it's gotten pretty worse. The place that I was going to work at surprisingly and permanently closed, and my stepmom and I are not liking each other.  :\'(

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/27/20 at 11:56 am

January and February 2020 lowkey sucked. I hope it gets better, but I don’t really have much expectations. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Written By: Slim95 on 02/27/20 at 12:12 pm

Pop culture is bad though in my opinion but that doesn't need to be said, no shocker there. But personal life wise it's good.

Written By: shadowcookie on 02/27/20 at 12:40 pm

My personal life is going well too, and I’m ignoring the news because I’m getting sick and tired of hysteria and fear mongering.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/27/20 at 1:24 pm

I lost my old kitty in January.  :\'( :\'( :\'(  But, I adopted a new furbaby. So that makes it mixed.

Cat

Written By: 2001 on 02/27/20 at 8:10 pm

Still 10 more months to go. Don't count your chickens before they've hatched :P

Written By: Howard on 02/28/20 at 7:35 am

We got a lot of many more months to come before we can judge 2020.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/28/20 at 7:44 am

True. Anything can happen.  :)

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/28/20 at 8:19 am

It’s hard to countdown when the next pop culture phenomenon or icon will appear.

Written By: Dundee on 03/09/20 at 4:30 pm

Bring back 2019 is all I can say ;D

https://media.giphy.com/media/1ZpTewZBUI75fC7TU2/giphy.gif

Written By: Sman12 on 03/09/20 at 5:18 pm

Bring back 2019 is all I can say ;D

https://media.giphy.com/media/1ZpTewZBUI75fC7TU2/giphy.gif

2019's pop was a lot better than 2018's, albeit not as great as 2015's in my opinion.

Written By: StrangeShape on 03/12/20 at 1:10 pm

Honestly? it's probably has been the worst year in recent times.

Everything is getting cancelled/delayed, pop culture isn't advancing this year it's even worse than 2014 somehow.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/12/20 at 2:45 pm

Everything is getting cancelled/delayed, pop culture isn't advancing this year it's even worse than 2014 somehow.

Normally the Summer Olympics years are supposed to be the good years, but like 2016 this one might be an exception, only worse. The Olympics themselves might get canceled and I was looking forward to that one since it's in my favorite city in the world.

Written By: 2001 on 03/12/20 at 2:58 pm

Normally the Summer Olympics years are supposed to be the good years, but like 2016 this one might be an exception, only worse. The Olympics themselves might get canceled and I was looking forward to that one since it's in my favorite city in the world.

I'm with you on that one. Tokyo is the coolest city in the world. The Tokyo Olympics getting cancelled would be the saddest thing :(

Written By: Sman12 on 03/12/20 at 3:09 pm

I'm with you on that one. Tokyo is the coolest city in the world. The Tokyo Olympics getting cancelled would be the saddest thing :(

The only possible solution is to postpone or cancel it. I'm just gonna forget 2020 and wait for 2021.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/12/20 at 3:20 pm

The only possible solution is to postpone or cancel it. I'm just gonna forget 2020 and wait for 2021.

Yeah seriously. I was so looking forward to seeing the Olympics in Tokyo but there's a big possibility that it will not be held.

2020 was supposed to be a super cool, futuristic year and Tokyo was the perfect host for the Olympics this year - it's the most futuristic city in the world.

Instead, in 2020, we got the Australian bush fires (started in 2019), almost ended up in WW3 with Iran, the tragic deaths of Kobe Bryant, his daughter Gianna and 7 others, and now - the rapid outbreak of the coronavirus basically grinding the world to a halt :-\\.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/12/20 at 3:22 pm

I was talking about our personal lives. Who cares about what's happening in the world. We don't have to let it affect our lives if we choose not to.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/12/20 at 3:23 pm

I was talking about our personal lives. Who cares about what's happening in the world. We don't have to let it affect our lives if we choose not to.

https://media.giphy.com/media/uHox9Jm5TyTPa/giphy.gif

Written By: Dundee on 03/12/20 at 3:26 pm

Is this some kind of joke I'm not getting

Written By: Slim95 on 03/12/20 at 3:28 pm

My personal life is going well too, and I’m ignoring the news because I’m getting sick and tired of hysteria and fear mongering.

Same. If you don't want to get the virus then turn off the TV.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/12/20 at 3:29 pm

Is this some kind of joke I'm not getting

No it's not a joke. I wasn't even trying to be rude when I wrote it, sorry if it came off that way. Just chill out and calm down.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/12/20 at 3:32 pm

Same. If you don't want to get the virus then turn off the TV.

Please stop spreading ignorance! >:(.

Written By: Dundee on 03/12/20 at 3:36 pm

Why y'all pretending living a normal life is still a possibility when everything is either cancelled or put in quarantine lmaaaooo

This troll behavior is mind-blowing

Written By: Slim95 on 03/12/20 at 4:37 pm

Why y'all pretending living a normal life is still a possibility when everything is either cancelled or put in quarantine lmaaaooo

This troll behavior is mind-blowing

Um because I am living a normal life?  ??? Don't call people names (like troll) just because you don't agree with them. I didn't do anything to you nor anyone else and I even apologized if it came off that way. I try living my life without fear and that is my life and opinion and I am enjoying this year and where I am in my life right now. If you don't like that then that's not my problem. But I can't change my feelings or the facts, yes wash your hands often I am doing that as well and try not to touch your face but don't live your life in fear. I am not and I am doing good and my life is going good personally that' all I am saying I am not being rude or anything so you don't have to start attacking me in doves for making one small post.

Written By: StrangeShape on 03/12/20 at 5:18 pm

Personally, i hope at leas the mid-late 2020 is good so we make up for the almost non-existant early 2020.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/12/20 at 5:30 pm

Personally, i hope at leas the mid-late 2020 is good so we make up for the almost non-existant early 2020.

2020 is already a good year. This is my genuine opinion. It is ok if you disagree but it's so disrespectful when people attack you over your opinion people did the same thing to me when I said 2016 is a good year. Just because the mainstream opinion doesn't agree with it. I have every right to say 2016 and 2020 are good years and they are. Just like I have to respect the opinions of those who say 2012 was a good year even though I think it was the worst and darkest year of the 2010s. It is my opinion. I have a right to it and I don't appreciate being called a troll over it.

Written By: Dundee on 03/12/20 at 5:50 pm

Finding the opinion of finding a year where's the state of the world is very miserable for so many lives "good" troll behavior is also an opinion I've the right to express

Deal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Written By: Slim95 on 03/12/20 at 5:53 pm

Finding the opinion of finding a year where's the state of the world is very miserable for so many lives "good" troll behavior is also an opinion I've the right to express

Deal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No it's called being rude and childish, 2020 is going good for some people including myself and you need to learn to respect that.

Written By: Dundee on 03/12/20 at 6:00 pm

No it's called being rude and childish, 2020 is going good for some people including myself and you need to learn to respect that.
Ain't rude and childish when you respond to an opinion, it's called an honest opinion. Trying to pass it as exclusively a personal attack is childish on the other hand

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/12/20 at 8:11 pm

What are the early 2020s? I guess the early 20s will be the time of Billie Eilish, The Masked Singer, Cuphead, and KJ Apa movies.  ???

Written By: Sman12 on 03/13/20 at 6:30 am

What are the early 2020s? I guess the early 20s will be the time of Billie Eilish, The Masked Singer, Cuphead, and KJ Apa movies.  ???

Honestly, I can't tell you. Early 2020s culture so far doesn't even exist to me now that things that are vital to pop culture (movies, music, sports, TV, video games, etc) have been cancelled, pushed back, or affected in some way due to the coronavirus.

Written By: Howard on 03/13/20 at 8:00 am

Why do you sound that way?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/20 at 8:03 am

Not so clear now?

Written By: temaichi on 03/13/20 at 10:10 am

I thought it was gonna be great year, but this month changed my mood completely. I hope this corona virus thing stops spreading so quickly. Take me back to 2019 because i am not having this right now during my last year of college!

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/13/20 at 10:21 am

I thought it was gonna be great year, but this month changed my mood completely. I hope this corona virus thing stops spreading so quickly. Take me back to 2019 because i am not having this right now during my last year of college!

Try being a working stiff with a kid. Especially when your wife ends up being the one who brought the kid to places where she could get infected.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3b/Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Written By: Slim95 on 03/13/20 at 1:10 pm

Why do you sound that way?

I just meant it's not good to get depressed over things you can't control.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/14/20 at 5:37 pm

I just meant it's not good to get depressed over things you can't control.

Nothing wrong with having a positive attitude during a time of crisis, while at the same time having empathy for those affected. Yeah, it might be tough for sports fans and music fans (as in ones who attend concerts regularly), and even some movies have been delayed. Also the general feeling of uncertainty about the future. Two things coming out of this my faith in God has become stronger (sometimes that's all we have to depend on) and I've learned to be more flexible and not having to live by a routine or detailed schedule. I have lived through local crisises such as Florida during a hurricane and Southern California during wildfires, and those who lived in NYC on 9/11 had their lives impacted more. This is on a global level. I'm hoping by the end of this month it will be old news and the rest of the year will turn out better. Some of the best years of my life had a rough start but the summer made it special. If I still get to take the road trip this summer as planned then that would be what I will remember most about 2020.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/15/20 at 12:19 am

Try being a working stiff with a kid. Especially when your wife ends up being the one who brought the kid to places where she could get infected.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3b/Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

This virus is affecting everyone on a personal level. Parents don't know what to do with children when they're out of school, kids won't be able to graduate, and many other things. We need to come together on dark events like this.  :)

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/15/20 at 8:36 am

Unity is all good and well; I just was mad that she didn't use a little common sense about this.

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/15/20 at 2:13 pm

I'm not in the mood to quote anything here, but anyway.

2020 is off to a dark start for sure, but personal life wise I'm in a better frame of mine than I was last year. So that's an improvement. Instead of arguing over what makes a year good or bad, let people have their feelings towards it. What's wrong with someone trying to look on the bright side in the middle of this mess? It doesn't mean they don't care. There's more to life than just what's in the news and people have personal lives.

This year has me cautiously optimistic about some new things in the works that may or may not come to fruition during the later months in terms of certain music and games.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/15/20 at 2:36 pm

Well for me I have had a couple bumps in the road personally as well since I made this thread so it's not as if I'm optimistic as I was when I made this thread but it is better than 2019 personally. Yeah I get world-wise it's dark but I have been able to separate 

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/15/20 at 2:52 pm

What do Gen Alphas think about 2020 so far?

Written By: mc98 on 03/15/20 at 3:01 pm

What do Gen Alphas think about 2020 so far?

They are too busy listening to Baby Shark and watching Paw Patrol.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/15/20 at 3:10 pm

They are too busy listening to Baby Shark and watching Paw Patrol.
Oh I know! My granddaughter's favourites.

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/15/20 at 6:34 pm

Well for me I have had a couple bumps in the road personally as well since I made this thread so it's not as if I'm optimistic as I was when I made this thread but it is better than 2019 personally. Yeah I get world-wise it's dark but I have been able to separate

There's 9 more months to go, who knows what will happen. That's the point I'm trying to make too about the need to separate personal life from world matters.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/14/20 at 5:09 pm

We're at a crossroads now. Many places like where I live in Georgia are opening up and things are starting to return to normal somewhat. Either the worst is behind us and things will continue to improve and we can enjoy summer, or we can end up with Round 2 of lockdowns as many fear a second wave which will set us back.

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/14/20 at 9:03 pm

We're at a crossroads now. Many places like where I live in Georgia are opening up and things are starting to return to normal somewhat. Either the worst is behind us and things will continue to improve and we can enjoy summer, or we can end up with Round 2 of lockdowns as many fear a second wave which will set us back.

More likely to be the latter.

Written By: Dundee on 05/14/20 at 9:18 pm

There's 9 more months to go, who knows what will happen. That's the point I'm trying to make too about the need to separate personal life from world matters.
Oh yeay living with maskers and constant paranoia and not being able to approach people sure is great. Personal life in 2020 is absolutely top notch. There's no reason to not ignore world matters!

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/15/20 at 7:06 am

Actually, the Roci raises a good point about compartmentalizing your personal life. Yes, outside the house it is hell, but I am lucky enough to still have my job (actually I was just given more responsibility, so they must like me). I've been using the time to get back to writing, catch up on a bunch of Steam games I have bought over the years, and do movie nights with my wife. It also means spending more time with my daughter than I was ever able to when I was actually going in to work everyday - I can take a lunch break, play with her, and clock back in.

It's not ideal, far from it. But it's not all bad, and we do have a chance to change our situation coming up in a few months. Try to find solace and happiness where you can, it will help you keep your head.

Written By: Howard on 05/15/20 at 7:41 am

NY Pause will be extended until June 13th.

Written By: Howard on 05/15/20 at 7:43 am

Oh yeay living with maskers and constant paranoia and not being able to approach people sure is great. Personal life in 2020 is absolutely top notch. There's no reason to not ignore world matters!

7 more months until the end of this year, I'm pretty sure we'll get through this as best as we can.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/15/20 at 9:29 am

I guess I could say that it's a good year for us introverts.  ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 05/15/20 at 10:58 am

Not everyone is like you. Some people can choose to not be depressed and seperate their personal life. 2020 is the best year since 2017 for my personal life.

Written By: Dundee on 05/15/20 at 12:32 pm

Not everyone is like you. Some people can choose to not be depressed and seperate their personal life. 2020 is the best year since 2017 for my personal life.
If by "not everyone" you mean the vast majority of people then you're correct

Written By: Slim95 on 05/15/20 at 1:01 pm

If by "not everyone" you mean the vast majority of people then you're correct

Yup. And I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Though it's good to compartmentalize otherwise you'll end up feeling depressed all the time.

Written By: Howard on 05/15/20 at 1:52 pm

Yup. And I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Though it's good to compartmentalize otherwise you'll end up feeling depressed all the time.

And no one wants to feel depressed just because some situation like the coronavirus and being sick of staying at home is getting you down.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/15/20 at 2:33 pm

I do respect Slim95 for having a good year even though I think 2020 is the worst year of the 21st century so far. You can always look on the bright side of things.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/15/20 at 3:48 pm

I do respect Slim95 for having a good year even though I think 2020 is the worst year of the 21st century so far. You can always look on the bright side of things.

Thank you. It's crazy times we're in although I'm glad I can look back and not feel miserable. That's not to say everything is perfect in my life but I have been feeling better mentally for sure.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/15/20 at 4:26 pm

Thank you. It's crazy times we're in although I'm glad I can look back and not feel miserable. That's not to say everything is perfect in my life but I have been feeling better mentally for sure.

I understand where you're coming from. Surprisingly for me, my life during this crisis has been going rocky with my stepmom and I always arguing, but things now between us are getting along better (albeit a bit slowly), so that's definitely a positive sign.

Plus, most daily coronavirus cases in the US are on the decline, so maybe summer 2020 wouldn't be too bad for us. But you'd never know.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/15/20 at 4:43 pm

Like everything in life, it's what you make of it. I notice the media tends to add to the depressing vibe with so many different commercials that say "during these difficult/uncertain/unprecedented times".

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/15/20 at 4:50 pm

Like everything in life, it's what you make of it. I notice the media tends to add to the depressing vibe with so many different commercials that say "during these difficult/uncertain/unprecedented times".

Those commercials are honestly starting to become annoying. They're getting way too repetitive.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/15/20 at 4:56 pm

Those commercials are honestly starting to become annoying. They're getting way too repetitive.

It's always the same thing. Kids talking to their grandparents via webcam or showing their dance moves. There's even car commercials about that. I also recently saw a Budweiser commercial that was like the one from 20 years ago with people saying "WAZAAAAP!" but it was special for people during quarantine and a message "take care of your 'Buds' ".

Written By: Sman12 on 05/15/20 at 5:59 pm

I also recently saw a Budweiser commercial that was like the one from 20 years ago with people saying "WAZAAAAP!" but it was special for people during quarantine and a message "take care of your 'Buds' ".

https://media.tenor.com/images/8effa7b7964c33cf80d21e73cdf44359/tenor.gif

Written By: Dundee on 05/16/20 at 9:54 am

Ayes 2020 is so good that you're practically forced to live in a bubble to see "good side of things", great *thumbs up*

Written By: Howard on 05/16/20 at 1:57 pm

You can always wait and evaluate until the year is over.

Written By: Howard on 05/16/20 at 1:58 pm

And you hear the depressing music that goes along with it.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/16/20 at 5:00 pm

And you hear the depressing music that goes along with it.

Yeah, it's always the sad piano music.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/16/20 at 5:36 pm

It's not like these corporations could've gotten other genres to invoke sadness, like soft rock or something.

Creativity in commercials is at an all-time low imo, and the vast amount of bland pandemic commercials reflect that.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/17/20 at 3:33 am

I have always thought a cello sounds sadder than a piano.

Written By: Howard on 05/18/20 at 4:07 pm

It's not like these corporations could've gotten other genres to invoke sadness, like soft rock or something.

Creativity in commercials is at an all-time low imo, and the vast amount of bland pandemic commercials reflect that.

They want you to feel bad for them.

Written By: 2001 on 05/19/20 at 12:38 am

Spring 2020 so far is good for me. I was reading through my journal and the January - March entries were depressing reads. I was feeling uninspired, lazy and kinda worthless.  April was a quiet revolution, and May has been nothing short of marvellous. I'm spending more time with my friends, I'm more productive, and I generally wake up feeling good!

There are some aspects of this pandemic world I hope don't go away. The Internet is so convenient and underutilized. I know that contradicts some of the posts I was making here back in 2019 about social media lol. But I think things like commuting long distances, frivolous expenses, and lack of time spent with family and friends that were the hallmarks of the pre-pandemic world should be dead and buried in the past. We have to stop being slaves to The Machine!

I'm excited for what the 2020s have to offer. Call me a blind optimist, but I think the world we are entering is going to be better than the world we leave behind.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/19/20 at 1:56 am

There are some aspects of this pandemic world I hope don't go away. The Internet is so convenient and underutilized. I know that contradicts some of the posts I was making here back in 2019 about social media lol. But I think things like commuting long distances, frivolous expenses, and lack of time spent with family and friends that were the hallmarks of the pre-pandemic world should be dead and buried in the past. We have to stop being slaves to The Machine!

Last year I had constant problems with my Wi-Fi connection, and with the situation of the world today, my Internet Provider has improved things and is much better now,

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/19/20 at 6:40 am

Spring 2020 so far is good for me. I was reading through my journal and the January - March entries were depressing reads. I was feeling uninspired, lazy and kinda worthless.  April was a quiet revolution, and May has been nothing short of marvellous. I'm spending more time with my friends, I'm more productive, and I generally wake up feeling good!

I'm excited for what the 2020s have to offer. Call me a blind optimist, but I think the world we are entering is going to be better than the world we leave behind.

I agree. I feel that, if we survive this, we are going to come out of it much better than we were. Society has been in an unhealthy state for a long time, what with all of us struggling in the rat race and mindlessly consuming. I am hoping for a return to the things that really matter.

Written By: Howard on 05/19/20 at 7:09 am

Last year I had constant problems with my Wi-Fi connection, and with the situation of the world today, my Internet Provider has improved things and is much better now,

My modem kept going in and out.

Written By: Dundee on 05/19/20 at 10:05 am

I agree. I feel that, if we survive this, we are going to come out of it much better than we were. Society has been in an unhealthy state for a long time, what with all of us struggling in the rat race and mindlessly consuming. I am hoping for a return to the things that really matter.

People were saying the exact same about the recession, in other words a back-to-basics, more focus on subjects that matter, emphasis on careful choices and an end to materialism. That didn't stop the late 2010s from happening ::) ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/19/20 at 10:22 am

I feel that with having to be stuck at home, hidden talents and skills will be discovered, and if having lost your job, this newly learnt skills will help towards a new profession.

Written By: Howard on 05/19/20 at 2:27 pm

I feel that with having to be stuck at home, hidden talents and skills will be discovered, and if having lost your job, this newly learnt skills will help towards a new profession.

2020 will wind up having people doing their professions at home.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/19/20 at 4:49 pm

2020 will wind up having people doing their professions at home.
There will be many new start-up businesses.

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/19/20 at 5:24 pm

People were saying the exact same about the recession, in other words a back-to-basics, more focus on subjects that matter, emphasis on careful choices and an end to materialism. That didn't stop the late 2010s from happening ::) ::)

Yes, well this situation - and the Second Great Depression looming in the distance - are on quite a different scale than that. We're not just talking mass foreclosures and job losses anymore; we could very well be looking at the return of the bread lines and Hoovervilles.

Written By: 2001 on 05/19/20 at 6:04 pm

I loved the early-mid 2010s, so if it's like that I won't be complaining ;D

But this pandemic will undoubtedly result in more lifestyle changes than the Recession did.

Written By: MikeyYankeeMan99 on 05/22/20 at 3:25 pm

I haven't talked in here for a while, but I will admit that the pandemic would lead towards something in the aftermath. Probably some kind of shift.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/22/20 at 3:54 pm

I haven't talked in here for a while, but I will admit that the pandemic would lead towards something in the aftermath. Probably some kind of shift.

I'm concerned on what the economic future of this country would entail, because the overall monetary toll from store and business closures could be staggering.

But I am also expecting a cultural shift after this has ended. There's no way we're gonna go back to the way pre-COVID life was, at least for a few years.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/22/20 at 4:20 pm

The shift is already happening but it will probably be even more profound later on. The '20s will probably be a huge changeful decade like the 2000s was. I can picture 2029 being like a whole different world. Unlike 2010 vs 2019.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/22/20 at 4:34 pm

The shift is already happening but it will probably be even more profound later on. The '20s will probably be a huge changeful decade like the 2000s was. I can picture 2029 being like a whole different world. Unlike 2010 vs 2019.

lol implying 2010 wasn't a whole different world from 2019

Written By: Slim95 on 05/22/20 at 4:41 pm

lol implying 2010 wasn't a whole different world from 2019

Well it really wasn't. But 2020 vs 2010? No argument there given this whole Corona thing. A couple month ago feels like a different world.

Written By: MikeyYankeeMan99 on 05/22/20 at 4:43 pm

Well it really wasn't. But 2020 vs 2010? No argument there given this whole Corona thing. A couple month ago feels like a different world.

Yeah, hate to break it to you but 2010 did kinda feel like a different world compared to 2019. Especially towards Internet culture and the political climate at the time.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/22/20 at 4:47 pm

Yeah, hate to break it to you but 2010 did kinda feel like a different world compared to 2019. Especially towards Internet culture and the political climate at the time.

Well nowhere near as how 2009 felt compared to 2000, that was my point. The 2010s were not a very changeful decade compared to other decades.

Written By: Howard on 05/23/20 at 3:11 pm

I'm concerned on what the economic future of this country would entail, because the overall monetary toll from store and business closures could be staggering.

But I am also expecting a cultural shift after this has ended. There's no way we're gonna go back to the way pre-COVID life was, at least for a few years.

A lot of stores that have been closed will lose a ton of money.

Written By: VHSfan0101 on 05/24/20 at 12:27 am

Sman12, I agree with what you said about there being a cultural shift after this whole covid thing is over. As soon as this covid stuff is over, I can see Hipster culture no longer being trendy and surburbanization starting to take off again like it did during the 2000s (I credit Inthe00s user GameXcaper for the surburbanization prediction.). The reason why I said that I can see Hipster culture no longer being trendy after this covid stuff is because those independent froyo shops, yoga studios, and coffee shops Hipsters patronize are small businesses and are going to close their doors for good because of this recession that is going on right now (Plus, once this pandemic is over, the folks in the Hipster age demographic are not going to be able to afford the vintage items, Starbucks coffees, and avocados they were buying before due to this recession.). The reason why I can see suburbanization taking off after this covid stuff ends is because the folks in the Hipster age demographic are going to be at the point in their lives where they are going to want to have kids. The thing I am predicting will happen once those two things take place is Pop Punk making a comeback when it comes to music. The reason why I am predicting a Pop Punk revival is because of the fact that rapper Machine Gun Kelly very recently made a Pop Punk song, the Emo subculture kinda made a comeback recently, and we are due for a comeback for music that is not soft-sounding (What I meant by soft-sounding music is the Indie/Hipster music that has been trendy for the past 10 years.). Yeah, I can definitely see Pop Punk making a comeback how things are going right now. Oh! And I forgot to mention the fact that it seems like late-90s/early-2000s skater culture is starting to make a comeback. I have no exact idea the reason why it is starting to make a comeback but a part of me think the reason why it is starting to make a comeback right now is because of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics that was supposed to take place this year (In case you forgot, the IOC voted to have Skateboarding be deemed an Olympic sport a few years ago and some skateboarding competitions were supposed to take place at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics this year.).

The fact that Hipster culture is starting to no longer be trendy is sad because I love plaid shirts and do not love those bland shirts that have that horizontal stripe at the top of them.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/27/20 at 3:44 am

I have been feeling a little disappointed lately because I was just watching some travelling videos and once I stopped, I was back to reality and remembered we're in a pandemic. Travelling just isn't possible now, and who knows when it will be. It is indeed disappointing we can't just do normal things anymore. Now everyone needs to distance and there's no more concerts or any of that stuff anymore. I think the worst part is because things are slowly opening back up, everyone is anticipating things going back to normal now. But it's still not normal. But during the time when everything was shut down and people were staying in home, it was a little more easier to accept the virus and the reality of the situation. But now because normal is slowly coming back it makes it even more difficult because we still know normal hasn't returned even if it seems that way so it's as if it's just an illusion. But you still need to stay 2 metres apart and see people wearing masks everywhere. So the disappointment over the pandemic is only getting to me right now...  :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/20 at 3:51 am

I have been feeling a little disappointed lately because I was just watching some travelling videos and once I stopped, I was back to reality and remembered.. Travelling just isn't possible now, and who knows when it will be. It is indeed disappointing we can't just do normal things anymore. Now everyone needs to distance and there's no more concerts or any of that stuff anymore.
I feel the same as you, for I am watching more films, and when I see a British location I wish to visit the location. Also cart Hong up on a series of short films on London boroughs, and again I cannot visit. But I am making a list of things to do and places to go in the meantime.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/27/20 at 3:53 am

Well nowhere near as how 2009 felt compared to 2000, that was my point. The 2010s were not a very changeful decade compared to other decades.

The changes of 2000 vs 2009 were nothing compared to those of 1990 vs 1999. The changes that took place in the 90s were wayyyyyyy bigger. In just 10 years the world went from the 99% analog Neon Era where most people never heard of the internet, to the half-digital Y2K Chrome Era with 3D gaming and millions of internet users.

As bchris02 said, in 2009 you could dress like 2000 and get away with it somewhat. You certainly couldn't dress like 1990 in 1999 and get away with it. I wouldn't be surprised if teens in 1999 were already nostalgic for 1990-1992 in 1999, because of how tremendously things had changed since their childhoods.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/20 at 3:56 am

The changes of 2000 vs 2009 were nothing compared to those of 1990 vs 1999. The changes that took place in the 90s were wayyyyyyy bigger. In just 10 years the world went from the 99% analog Neon Era where most people never heard of the internet, to the half-digital Y2K Chrome Era with 3D gaming and millions of internet users.

As bchris02 said, in 2009 you could dress like 2000 and get away with it somewhat. You certainly couldn't dress like 1990 in 1999 and get away with it. I wouldn't be surprised if teens in 1999 were already nostalgic for 1990-1992 in 1999, because of how tremendously things had changed since their childhoods.
You can wear what you like when in lockdown, for nobody will see you.  ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 05/27/20 at 12:21 pm

As bchris02 said

Where is bchris02?  ??? I guess he had me blocked because I can't see his posts anywhere.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/20 at 12:25 pm

Where is bchris02?  ??? I guess he had me blocked because I can't see his posts anywhere.
bchris02 has been long gone, his name appears as a guest only now.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/27/20 at 12:48 pm

He deleted his account last year.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/27/20 at 12:49 pm

bchris02 has been long gone, his name appears as a guest only now.

He deleted his account last year.

Ah ok

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/27/20 at 2:31 pm

I have been feeling a little disappointed lately because I was just watching some travelling videos and once I stopped, I was back to reality and remembered we're in a pandemic. Travelling just isn't possible now, and who knows when it will be. It is indeed disappointing we can't just do normal things anymore. Now everyone needs to distance and there's no more concerts or any of that stuff anymore. I think the worst part is because things are slowly opening back up, everyone is anticipating things going back to normal now. But it's still not normal. But during the time when everything was shut down and people were staying in home, it was a little more easier to accept the virus and the reality of the situation. But now because normal is slowly coming back it makes it even more difficult because we still know normal hasn't returned even if it seems that way so it's as if it's just an illusion. But you still need to stay 2 metres apart and see people wearing masks everywhere. So the disappointment over the pandemic is only getting to me right now...  :(

I just went on a mini road trip to Tennessee over the 3-day weekend and almost everything is reopened. I guess it depends on where you live. Hopefully that won't cost us later on. There were big crowds and almost no one was wearing a mask. We were wearing ours if we had to stop somewhere, and we've gotten used to eating in the car. It was the best part of the year so far.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/12/20 at 10:56 am

I think this year is more changeful than even 2008. There hasn't been this big of a change since like the 1960s. I think it's only gonna get crazier. I think in the future there will be no arguments on here, everyone will know 2020 was a transitional shift year.  ;D

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/12/20 at 9:14 pm

I think this year is more changeful than even 2008. There hasn't been this big of a change since like the 1960s. I think it's only gonna get crazier. I think in the future there will be no arguments on here, everyone will know 2020 was a transitional shift year.  ;D

Yeah but none of the change was for the better, except maybe the music.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/12/20 at 9:50 pm

Yeah but none of the change was for the better, except maybe the music.

Yup that's true. And technology. Those foldable phones that cane out this year (like the Moto Razr and Samsung Z Flip) look sick. But apart from that and the music, terrible stuff happened this year.

Written By: LooseBolt on 06/13/20 at 6:16 am

Hey, no arguments here. And the changes that are going to ensue in society as a direct result of the happenings of 2020 (COVID-19, U.S. depression, rising global tensions with China, etc.) are going to be such a sea change from modern history it'll cause you whiplash. I'm absolutely certain of it.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 06/13/20 at 1:38 pm

Not to be mean, but the title is highly controversial...

Written By: Slim95 on 06/13/20 at 1:59 pm

Not to be mean, but the title is highly controversial...

It shouldn't be, this place isn't for me if people get triggered that easily.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/13/20 at 2:36 pm

It shouldn't be, this place isn't for me if people get triggered that easily.

I wouldn't say controversial but a lot of people would disagree. Meanwhile I'm trying to make the best of it but I see very little good about this year. The good moments are few and far in between. My summer vacation plans are still at stake depending on the COVID situation.

Written By: Howard on 06/13/20 at 3:00 pm

Yup that's true. And technology. Those foldable phones that cane out this year (like the Moto Razr and Samsung Z Flip) look sick. But apart from that and the music, terrible stuff happened this year.

What do you think about the deaths that happened so far within the past 6 months? (actors and actresses)

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/13/20 at 3:31 pm

What do you think about the deaths that happened so far within the past 6 months? (actors and actresses)

Kobe's is the one that hit the hardest.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/13/20 at 4:56 pm

I wouldn't say controversial but a lot of people would disagree. Meanwhile I'm trying to make the best of it but I see very little good about this year. The good moments are few and far in between. My summer vacation plans are still at stake depending on the COVID situation.

To be fair, I started looking down on this year as well when all the bad stuff started happening. I made this thread and title before the pandemic even hit.

Written By: Howard on 06/14/20 at 7:26 am

Kobe's is the one that hit the hardest.

The other deaths I probably saw coming would include Nick Gordon and Kirk Douglas.

Written By: LooseBolt on 06/14/20 at 7:38 am

I mean, Kirk Douglas was over 300 years old, I was kinda surprised he hadn't kicked it already.

Written By: Howard on 06/14/20 at 7:51 am

I mean, Kirk Douglas was over 300 years old, I was kinda surprised he hadn't kicked it already.

I had a feeling he would pass away, guy was 103 years old.

Written By: Sman12 on 06/14/20 at 12:36 pm

Hey, no arguments here. And the changes that are going to ensue in society as a direct result of the happenings of 2020 (COVID-19, U.S. depression, rising global tensions with China, etc.) are going to be such a sea change from modern history it'll cause you whiplash. I'm absolutely certain of it.

It does make me wonder on what the state of the world will be like by 2029, because 2020 (imo) already set the template on what's to come in the near future. Will everyone continue to wear masks in America? Will we ever see civil discourse again? We'll find out in some way, I guess.

Written By: exodus08 on 06/14/20 at 12:44 pm

It does make me wonder on what the state of the world will be like by 2029, because 2020 (imo) already set the template on what's to come in the near future. Will everyone continue to wear masks in America? Will we ever see civil discourse again? We'll find out in some way, I guess.

Something happens every other month starting with January with almost a war with Iran, Kobe’s death then March with the Quarantine then May with the protest. I’m wondering what’s gonna happen in July, September and November.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/14/20 at 1:50 pm

Something happens every other month starting with January with almost a war with Iran, Kobe’s death then March with the Quarantine then May with the protest. I’m wondering what’s gonna happen in July, September and November.

July will probably have an alien invasion, while September will probably have a devastating hurricane, and in November Trump will be reelected.

Written By: Howard on 06/14/20 at 1:57 pm

I guess until this pandemic is finally over that we won't be wearing masks any longer.

Written By: Howard on 06/14/20 at 1:59 pm

July will probably have an alien invasion, while September will probably have a devastating hurricane, and in November Trump will be reelected.

I agree with November that Trump will get re-elected.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/14/20 at 2:35 pm

I agree with November that Trump will get re-elected.

And he's not going to win fairly/legally from enough people voting for him. There will be voter suppression and some type of manipulation of the electoral college.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 06/14/20 at 4:12 pm

We really need a new Abraham Lincoln or George Washington, Biden and Trump suck.

Written By: LooseBolt on 06/14/20 at 4:17 pm

I wouldn’t count ol’ Diamond Joe out just yet. Also history has conveniently shoved this under the rug, but Lincoln was a massively controversial president in his time. His greatness is remembered, but his every decision was not lauded as legendary by his contemporaries.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/14/20 at 4:20 pm

And he's not going to win fairly/legally from enough people voting for him. There will be voter suppression and some type of manipulation of the electoral college.

Well of course.  That's what you want to believe.  If the election does not go you way, it MUST HAVE BEEN rigged.  ;D

All this BS talk about "voter suppression"... WTH?  All you gotta do is to walk down to the local polling place and cast your vote.  Never once have I been repelled from a polling place, and I am a Republican who lives in an area that is 2:1 registered DEMOCRATS.  In '16, Trump carried our county, a bastion of Democrats, handily with 58.3% of the votes.  In a county where Dems outnumber Repubs 2:1 ! 

And since then quite a few of longtime-Democrat-held row offices have flipped to Republicans.  People have gotten tired of the false narratives and the nonsense of the Dems.

Written By: LooseBolt on 06/14/20 at 7:36 pm

Well of course.  That's what you want to believe.  If the election does not go you way, it MUST HAVE BEEN rigged.  ;D

All this BS talk about "voter suppression"... WTH?  All you gotta do is to walk down to the local polling place and cast your vote.  Never once have I been repelled from a polling place, and I am a Republican who lives in an area that is 2:1 registered DEMOCRATS.  In '16, Trump carried our county, a bastion of Democrats, handily with 58.3% of the votes.  In a county where Dems outnumber Repubs 2:1 ! 

And since then quite a few of longtime-Democrat-held row offices have flipped to Republicans.  People have gotten tired of the false narratives and the nonsense of the Dems.

This alternate reality you live in must be a lonely place.

Written By: Howard on 06/15/20 at 7:30 am

What if he rigs the vote?

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/15/20 at 11:04 am

I don't think that many people in their right mind are going to vote for Trump. We've seen what this country has become in the last 4 years. But I don't think it's going to get any better regardless of who wins.

Written By: exodus08 on 06/15/20 at 12:02 pm

If he doesn’t win he will be the first one term President of the 21st Century which I’m hoping he becomes a one term President but trust me I don’t want Biden as President either.

Written By: goodbants on 06/15/20 at 3:00 pm

If he doesn’t win he will be the first one term President of the 21st Century which I’m hoping he becomes a one term President but trust me I don’t want Biden as President either.

The thing is, we only have to put up with Biden for one term. He said he wouldn’t be running again after his first term.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.com/amp/news/2019/12/11/biden-single-term-082129

It’s all about who he picks as Vice President. His whole term would be about preparing whoever is Vice President to run in 2024. If he has a solid Vice President, then that is a good sign. He shows pretty clear signs of dementia, so if it ever got to the point where he can’t fulfill his duty as president, the Vice President would have to take over, anyway.

Written By: exodus08 on 06/15/20 at 4:55 pm

The thing is, we only have to put up with Biden for one term. He said he wouldn’t be running again after his first term.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.com/amp/news/2019/12/11/biden-single-term-082129

It’s all about who he picks as Vice President. His whole term would be about preparing whoever is Vice President to run in 2024. If he has a solid Vice President, then that is a good sign. He shows pretty clear signs of dementia, so if it ever got to the point where he can’t fulfill his duty as president, the Vice President would have to take over, anyway.

I would want Biden to be a one term President. We just need someone who’s gonna be a little less destructive. We should prepare to kick out the VP in 2024.

Written By: LooseBolt on 06/15/20 at 6:18 pm

I would want Biden to be a one term President. We just need someone who’s gonna be a little less destructive. We should prepare to kick out the VP in 2024.

We don't even know who the VP is going to be, and you're already determined to kick whoever it is out?

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/092/461/90c.jpg

Also lol at using Biden and "destructive" in the same sentence while COVID-19, a massive depression, and widespread public unrest is happening.

Written By: exodus08 on 06/15/20 at 6:38 pm

We don't even know who the VP is going to be, and you're already determined to kick whoever it is out?

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/092/461/90c.jpg

Also lol at using Biden and "destructive" in the same sentence while COVID-19, a massive depression, and widespread public unrest is happening.

Better than Trump

Written By: LooseBolt on 06/15/20 at 8:19 pm

Better than Trump

I mean, yeah, that was kinda my point.

Written By: exodus08 on 06/15/20 at 9:56 pm

I mean, yeah, that was kinda my point.

Sorry what I meant to say was who ever Biden picks for his VP isn't gonna be any better. He’s gonna wanna pick someone just like him.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/16/20 at 2:51 am

Don't forget we almost had WWIII the beginning of the year.

Written By: LooseBolt on 06/16/20 at 4:31 am

Sorry what I meant to say was who ever Biden picks for his VP isn't gonna be any better. He’s gonna wanna pick someone just like him.

Which is funny, because the people who are saying Biden is going to be bad have still failed to articulate what is so bad about him. And enough with this dementia meme, which has already been conclusively proven false.

Written By: Howard on 06/16/20 at 7:02 am

Better than Trump

And someone who doesn't keep saying that everything is "great".  ::)

Written By: Sman12 on 06/16/20 at 10:58 am

Which is funny, because the people who are saying Biden is going to be bad have still failed to articulate what is so bad about him. And enough with this dementia meme, which has already been conclusively proven false.

Biden supported the Clinton crime bill in '94, which increased the prison population, and left millions of nonviolent drug users, especially black men, in prison for years.

He opposed federal busing for black students in the 1970s as a senator from Delaware.

He supported for the war in Iraq before it occurred, during it, and after it (https://theintercept.com/2020/01/07/joe-biden-iraq-war-history/?comments=1#comments)

There you go: those are my reasons as to why I dislike the guy.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/18/20 at 6:48 am

Biden supported the Clinton crime bill in '94, which increased the prison population, and left millions of nonviolent drug users, especially black men, in prison for years.

He opposed federal busing for black students in the 1970s as a senator from Delaware.

He supported for the war in Iraq before it occurred, during it, and after it (https://theintercept.com/2020/01/07/joe-biden-iraq-war-history/?comments=1#comments)

And apparently he thinks he's entitled to the black vote.

Written By: 2001 on 06/18/20 at 9:22 am

The Intercept? The Obama administration (which Joe Biden was a part of) pulled the US out of Iraq in 2011.  ???

The era of mass incarceration started in the 1970s/1980s as a part of the War on Drugs, not in 1994. The crime rate peaked in 1993, which is why the act was passed. Crime subsequently dropped precipitously in the late 1990s which had the effect of making black communities a lot safer compared to the free-wheeling days of the 1970s/1980s. But how much the effect the 1994 crime bill had is debatable; like I said, people exaggerate the impact that bill had on all fronts.

https://static.prisonpolicy.org/images/state_driver_rates_1925-2015.png
https://static.prisonpolicy.org/images/male_homicide_victims_overtime.png

https://www.prisonpolicy.org/graphs/state_driver_rates_1925-2015.html
https://www.prisonpolicy.org/blog/2018/05/03/homicide_overtime/

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/18/20 at 1:14 pm

And apparently he thinks he's entitled to the black vote.

At this point, I just want Trump out of office.

Written By: exodus08 on 06/18/20 at 2:16 pm

At this point, I just want Trump out of office.

Crossing my fingers for better Candidates in 2024 :(

Written By: Slim95 on 06/18/20 at 4:50 pm

Ok I changed my mind, 2020 sucks!  ;D There was good and bad that happened this year (personal-life wise) but mostly bad because of the pandemic. Another issue is suicide rates spiked very high this year due to the pandemic. It's just crazy the new normal we have now and I can see the economy completely crashing once everything blows over because governments all over the world were borrowing large amounts of money from the bank. We live in a dystopian society now.

Written By: Sman12 on 06/18/20 at 8:21 pm

Ok I changed my mind, 2020 sucks!  ;D There was good and bad that happened this year (personal-life wise) but mostly bad because of the pandemic. Another issue is suicide rates spiked very high this year due to the pandemic. It's just crazy the new normal we have now and I can see the economy completely crashing once everything blows over because governments all over the world were borrowing large amounts of money from the bank. We live in a dystopian society now.

Wow. I didn't expect you to change your mind considering that you created this thread.  ;D

But yeah, 2020 is turbulent for pretty much everyone.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/18/20 at 8:22 pm

People are just losing their minds in general. I believe that's partially what lead to the rioting and looting in response to George Floyd. Police brutality is something that has been an ongoing issue, but that incident pushed people over the edge.

Also the pandemic itself seems even worse than people thought. It seemed like it was calming down since places were reopening, but as we see in many places including China cases shoot right back up as places reopen. People were saying that worst case scenario a second wave will occur in the fall and the virus will be suppressed during the summer months, but that's not the case at all. The second wave is happening now, well actually the first wave never ended. I wouldn't be surprised if the governors had no choice to put us in lockdown again.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/18/20 at 10:09 pm

Yeah the only good thing that came out of this year was the music. I think having those funky and upbeat throwback hits on the radio are needed for a time like this. And less pollution is a plus perhaps.

Written By: 2001 on 06/18/20 at 10:34 pm

It has? I tried to search but I can't find any articles about that.

Written By: 1997days on 06/19/20 at 1:05 am

Yeah the only good thing that came out of this year was the music. I think having those funky and upbeat throwback hits on the radio are needed for a time like this. And less pollution is a plus perhaps.
your right I just also think music feels a little bit refreshing  unlike the past 6 or 7 years the 2010s music was way to repetitive and by 2017 the 2010s style of music was already pretty stale as ever.

Written By: Howard on 06/19/20 at 7:31 am

How could you say 2020 sucks until you reached the end of the year, It's still June.

Written By: Howard on 06/19/20 at 7:34 am

People are just losing their minds in general. I believe that's partially what lead to the rioting and looting in response to George Floyd. Police brutality is something that has been an ongoing issue, but that incident pushed people over the edge.

Also the pandemic itself seems even worse than people thought. It seemed like it was calming down since places were reopening, but as we see in many places including China cases shoot right back up as places reopen. People were saying that worst case scenario a second wave will occur in the fall and the virus will be suppressed during the summer months, but that's not the case at all. The second wave is happening now, well actually the first wave never ended. I wouldn't be surprised if the governors had no choice to put us in lockdown again.

So far these past 6-7 months we've experienced rioting, racism, tearing down statues, removing logos from products, banning movies that have to do with racism and maybe others I didn't mention.

Written By: Dude111 on 06/19/20 at 2:26 pm

Not talking about the culture. But for me personally, I haven't felt this good about a year since 2017.

Im sure now you dont think this!!

2020 has been aweful...........

Written By: Slim95 on 06/19/20 at 2:29 pm

Im sure now you dont think this!!

2020 has been aweful...........

Back in February it seemed good

Written By: Dude111 on 06/19/20 at 2:32 pm

Yup it sure did............

Written By: Howard on 06/20/20 at 7:43 am

Back in February it seemed good

I thought the first few months into 2020 would be good till this pandemic ruined it.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/20/20 at 8:46 am

I thought the first few months into 2020 would be good till this pandemic ruined it.

Same. I just had no idea the pandemic would have gotten as bad as it did. I thought if anything it would have been like the other epidemics like SARS, Ebola, Swine Flu, etc.

Written By: Sman12 on 06/20/20 at 9:43 am

Same. I just had no idea the pandemic would have gotten as bad as it did. I thought if anything it would have been like the other epidemics like SARS, Ebola, Swine Flu, etc.

I wish this was like those other sicknesses as well. But nope, this practically changed society in a new and radical way.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/20/20 at 9:49 am

I remember the only thing that changed during the Swine Flu pandemic was hand sanitizers were installed in schools and grocery stores and that's it.

Written By: Howard on 06/20/20 at 2:17 pm

If this pandemic was taken care of earlier, we probably wouldn't have had this problem.

Written By: Dundee on 06/22/20 at 3:13 pm

Ok I changed my mind, 2020 sucks!  ;D

I changed my mind too, I don't hate nearly 2020 as much I did ;D I was afraid this entire year just would go to waste and misery, but the sudden urge of activism lately brought back some much needed energy and works great as a forum for social awareness. Things getting accomplished was a sorely needed feeling

It still a godawful year, don't get me wrong. But thanks to that and how downright broken down America has become, seeing Trump's chances of re-election getting crushed with each passing day is very satisfying to say the least ;D

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 06/22/20 at 6:55 pm

6ix9ine and Belle Delphine are back, making 2020 even worse.

Written By: LooseBolt on 06/22/20 at 7:22 pm

I changed my mind too, I don't hate nearly 2020 as much I did ;D I was afraid this entire year just would go to waste and misery, but the sudden urge of activism lately brought back some much needed energy and works great as a forum for social awareness. Things getting accomplished was a sorely needed feeling

It still a godawful year, don't get me wrong. But thanks to that and how downright broken down America has become, seeing Trump's chances of re-election getting crushed with each passing day is very satisfying to say the least ;D

The activism is just the potential for something good; only time will tell if it manifests into something positive.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/22/20 at 8:41 pm

Looking back, the highlights of the first few months of the year were the movies Bad Boys For Life and Sonic the Hedgehog (pretty much the only major releases in theaters before they shut down), the Superbowl in Miami, and Doja Cat. That part was actually nice and calm. It was mid-March when it all went downhill.

Written By: 2001 on 06/22/20 at 8:53 pm

Looking back, the highlights of the first few months of the year were the movies Bad Boys For Life and Sonic the Hedgehog (pretty much the only major releases in theaters before they shut down), the Superbowl in Miami, and Doja Cat. That part was actually nice and calm. It was mid-March when it all went downhill.

I loved the Sonic movie! It has positive portrayal of police in it though. The most anti-2020, 2020 movie. ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/20 at 2:52 am

I loved the Sonic movie! It has positive portrayal of police in it though. The most anti-2020, 2020 movie. ;D
Does the Sonic Movie contain Oscar winning animated material?

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/23/20 at 5:42 am

Wow. I didn't expect you to change your mind considering that you created this thread.  ;D

But yeah, 2020 is turbulent for pretty much everyone.

I did. I decided to read through this thread today just to find that reverse post.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/20 at 6:19 am

If this pandemic was taken care of earlier, we probably wouldn't have had this problem.
Exactly, tell that to Boris Johnson too!

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/23/20 at 8:28 am

Exactly, tell that to Boris Johnson too!

Or Donald Trump for that matter. He first believed it was a hoax just like climate change, and now he believes the US is handling it better than any other country in the world.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/20 at 8:34 am

Or Donald Trump for that matter. He first believed it was a hoax just like climate change, and now he believes the US is handling it better than any other country in the world.
From the reports I heard, other countries around the world are doing better.

Written By: Howard on 06/23/20 at 9:23 am

Shouldn't you wait till the end of the year till you evaluate it?

Written By: 2001 on 06/23/20 at 11:07 am

Does the Sonic Movie contain Oscar winning animated material?

I don't think so. It's mainly fun to watch if you're a kid or if you're a fan of Sonic.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/20 at 11:12 am

I don't think so. It's mainly fun to watch if you're a kid or if you're a fan of Sonic.
Thanks for the update. One less film to watch.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/23/20 at 5:34 pm

Bad Boys For Life was also about police officers.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 06/24/20 at 6:22 am

6ix9ine and Belle Delphine are back, making 2020 even worse.

Agreed  ;D

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/24/20 at 4:40 pm

Yes, the music was good with the likes of Doja Cat, Dua Lipa, The Weekend, Drake, PARTYNEXTDOOR, etc.; but in the future listening to their music might make our stomachs cringe from associating it with the memory of this horrific year, like someone who suffers from PTSD. We probably won't feel any sort of nostalgia for this year.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/24/20 at 7:58 pm

2020 will undoubtedly be remembered as a turning point. A turning point to what, I don't know but I don't what decade kick-started it's culture as hard as this one.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/24/20 at 11:09 pm

Yes, the music was good with the likes of Doja Cat, Dua Lipa, The Weekend, Drake, PARTYNEXTDOOR, etc.; but in the future listening to their music might make our stomachs cringe from associating it with the memory of this horrific year, like someone who suffers from PTSD. We probably won't feel any sort of nostalgia for this year.

Oh people will feel nostalgic like as always. People who went through WW2 feel nostalgic for that time not because of the war but simply because they were younger back then. A year doesn't have to be good to be nostalgic because nostalgia is a personal thing and usually associated with simply being younger.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/25/20 at 5:32 am

2020 will undoubtedly be remembered as a turning point. A turning point to what, I don't know but I don't what decade kick-started it's culture as hard as this one.

A turning point to a dystopian near future/almost present. Yeah I can't think of any other decade like that either. Maybe 1980's but disco was still around, and new wave was around in the late 70's. The 1990's culture started in 1989, the 2000's culture started in 2001 and 9/11 really accelerated it, and the 2010's culture started in 2009.

Written By: Howard on 06/25/20 at 8:00 am

I thought that 2020 would be a year of looking towards the future and beyond.

Written By: Sman12 on 06/25/20 at 1:04 pm

A turning point to a dystopian near future/almost present. Yeah I can't think of any other decade like that either. Maybe 1980's but disco was still around, and new wave was around in the late 70's. The 1990's culture started in 1989, the 2000's culture started in 2001 and 9/11 really accelerated it, and the 2010's culture started in 2009.

Wait, what happened in 1989 that made it culturally 90s?  ???

Anyways, you and BornIn86 are right. 2020 will be looked back as a turning point in the world where things have gotten turbulent, for better or for worse. Now I'm not gonna compare this year to 1968, because that year was even more hellish, but 2020 will still be unique in the way how depressing almost everything is: pandemic, recession, unrest, etc.

All I have to ask is...what's next?

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/25/20 at 2:59 pm

Wait, what happened in 1989 that made it culturally 90s?  ???

The premier of the Simpsons, Saved by the Bell, Arsenio Hall Shiw, Cops, Baywatch, etc., the first of Tim Burton's Batman, dance house like Technotronic, New Jack Swing, Afrocentric styles, neon colors.

Anyways, you and BornIn86 are right. 2020 will be looked back as a turning point in the world where things have gotten turbulent, for better or for worse. Now I'm not gonna compare this year to 1968, because that year was even more hellish, but 2020 will still be unique in the way how depressing almost everything is: pandemic, recession, unrest, etc.

All I have to ask is...what's next?

I can't compare this to any year of my lifetime because I have never seen anything like this, and I've lived through some pretty bad ones. 2016 is the only thing that comes close. Yeah, I ask the same question...what's next? It's like that meme that reads "But wait, there's more!"

Written By: Dundee on 06/25/20 at 7:24 pm

Shouldn't you wait till the end of the year till you evaluate it?
I can evaluate a year while it's going on. The next few months won't erase what already happened in the past few ones.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/28/20 at 9:51 pm

It has? I tried to search but I can't find any articles about that.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/06/10/the-life-and-death-covid-19-curve-no-one-is-talking-about.html

Written By: goodbants on 06/28/20 at 11:57 pm

The premier of the Simpsons, Saved by the Bell, Arsenio Hall Shiw, Cops, Baywatch, etc., the first of Tim Burton's Batman, dance house like Technotronic, New Jack Swing, Afrocentric styles, neon colors.

I can't compare this to any year of my lifetime because I have never seen anything like this, and I've lived through some pretty bad ones. 2016 is the only thing that comes close. Yeah, I ask the same question...what's next? It's like that meme that reads "But wait, there's more!"

God, I can’t remember a time when I’ve longed so much for normalcy. It’s all so emotionally exhausting. I have a tendency to get addicted to social media and that doesn’t help at all. The world is so confusing and I already have mental health issues on top of that so it doesn’t help with my feeling of unreality. Literally my only anchor right now is my meds. Thank god.

Written By: Sman12 on 06/29/20 at 4:57 pm

God, I can’t remember a time when I’ve longed so much for >b0normalcy.
It’s all so emotionally exhausting. I have a tendency to get addicted to social media and that doesn’t help at all. The world is so confusing and I already have mental health issues on top of that so it doesn’t help with my feeling of unreality. Literally my only anchor right now is my meds. Thank god.

Pretty much the only thing that could save us from COVID's wrath is a highly effective vaccine, and they'll probably be out by next year at the earliest.

I miss pre-COVID life, too. I remember people enjoying normal activities without the threat of a deadly disease with no cure or proper treatment. And it was literally months ago.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/29/20 at 5:12 pm

Pretty much the only thing that could save us from COVID's wrath is a highly effective vaccine, and they'll probably be out by next year at the earliest.

I miss pre-COVID life, too. I remember people enjoying normal activities without the threat of a deadly disease with no cure or proper treatment. And it was literally months ago.

It takes years and years to develop a vaccine. They still haven't got one for SARS and that was all the way back in 2003. There may not be a vaccine for decades to come so that's not something to hope for. But the case numbers are quite low now (in many parts of Canada) so all that's needed is to prevent a second wave from occurring or to at least minimize the impact. Once you start to see zero cases in 24 hour periods (in BC that's already happening) it will be a good sign. But I don't see the implementations they have being gone for a long time. This is basically what the early 2020s look like and will continue to look like more or less, hand sanitizers and markers on the ground everywhere.

Written By: Howard on 06/30/20 at 7:22 am

If I could go back to June 2019 and enjoy activities, I would.

Written By: Sman12 on 06/30/20 at 9:18 pm

It takes years and years to develop a vaccine. They still haven't got one for SARS and that was all the way back in 2003. There may not be a vaccine for decades to come so that's not something to hope for. But the case numbers are quite low now (in many parts of Canada) so all that's needed is to prevent a second wave from occurring or to at least minimize the impact. Once you start to see zero cases in 24 hour periods (in BC that's already happening) it will be a good sign. But I don't see the implementations they have being gone for a long time. This is basically what the early 2020s look like and will continue to look like more or less, hand sanitizers and markers on the ground everywhere.

You could be right. But with many medical biotech companies working to create multiple vaccines around the world right now, I just hope the virus gets eliminated sooner than later.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/01/20 at 6:55 am

SARS pretty much disappeared after a few months. It's not getting better in the States. They are calling it the second wave but the first one never actually ended. It's just effecting different regions of the country more.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/01/20 at 12:47 pm

SARS pretty much disappeared after a few months. It's not getting better in the States. They are calling it the second wave but the first one never actually ended. It's just effecting different regions of the country more.

What's your point though? Vaccines still take years to develop... Just like the SARS vaccine is still in development. That's my point.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/01/20 at 3:06 pm

What's your point though? Vaccines still take years to develop... Just like the SARS vaccine is still in development. That's my point.

My point is since SARS has disappeared they didn't really need to develop a vaccine. COVID-19 on the other hand is not going anywhere as it has a much worse contagion factor. I didn't think I could be any clearer than that.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/01/20 at 3:56 pm

My point is since SARS has disappeared they didn't really need to develop a vaccine. COVID-19 on the other hand is not going anywhere as it has a much worse contagion factor. I didn't think I could be any clearer than that.

Which still doesn't remove the point that it takes years and years to develop a vaccine and another couple of years to test it to make sure it's safe.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/01/20 at 7:16 pm

Which still doesn't remove the point that it takes years and years to develop a vaccine and another couple of years to test it to make sure it's safe.

I never said it did. Looks like we'll be waiting for awhile and all this will become the new normal.

Written By: Howard on 07/02/20 at 7:49 am

I never said it did. Looks like we'll be waiting for awhile and all this will become the new normal.

wearing masks and carrying hand sanitizers.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/28/22 at 9:49 am

Sadly in retrospect 2020 actually looks like a good year by comparison. I might dare to say I have a slight bit of "nostalgia" for that year. At least the music was upbeat and as long as you didn't have a close loved one pass away from COVID, it wasn't that bad. It was just the interruption of the normal way of life.

I kept having a positive attitude through most of 2020. Also since my wife is Ukrainian so the recent events have especially been hard on us, but has created a somber tone for the rest of the world. I can honestly say I'd rather relive 2020 twice than the past 5 days.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 02/28/22 at 9:57 am

The first half felt rough, the second half was definitely better but still kind of rough. Oddly enough COVID had nothing to do with it, I had depression that year.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/28/22 at 10:07 am

The first half felt rough, the second half was definitely better but still kind of rough. Oddly enough COVID had nothing to do with it, I had depression that year.

Sorry to hear about your depression. Yeah, the second half of 2020 and the first half of 2021 was the best (or more like the least sucky part) of the decade so far.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 02/28/22 at 10:29 am

Sorry to hear about your depression. Yeah, the second half of 2020 and the first half of 2021 was the best (or more like the least sucky part) of the decade so far.

Thanks. It went away in early 2021.

The 2020-2021 school year was alright. I would say the first half of 2021 was probably my favourite part of the decade as well.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/28/22 at 1:02 pm

The first half of 2020 was great but the second half was bad. I remember how optimistic I was when I made this thread in February of that year. You also had awesome songs like this come out during that time:

C5RrNaCfUXE

I'm still sensing the early '20s are around in 2022 but there is definitely change in the air.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/28/22 at 1:04 pm

Thanks. It went away in early 2021.

The 2020-2021 school year was alright. I would say the first half of 2021 was probably my favourite part of the decade as well.

2021 was much worse than 2020. Sure in 2020 masks were mandatory, but in 2021 bodily injections were mandatory and that's a lot worse. The first half didn't have any mandates besides on the businesses. Everything started sucking in 2020 but most definitely it got way worse in 2021.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 02/28/22 at 2:01 pm

2021 was much worse than 2020. Sure in 2020 masks were mandatory, but in 2021 bodily injections were mandatory and that's a lot worse. The first half didn't have any mandates besides on the businesses. Everything started sucking in 2020 but most definitely it got way worse in 2021.

It depends where you live. Over here in the UK covid rules were only strict for the first two months and have been basically dead since june besides the omicron mask mandates in place in the last two months of the year. Vaxx passports are far from being implemented. I'd imagine in Canada it must be much worse with the restrictions because of trudeau.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 02/28/22 at 2:26 pm

It depends where you live. Over here in the UK covid rules were only strict for the first two months and have been basically dead since june besides the omicron mask mandates in place in the last two months of the year. Vaxx passports are far from being implemented. I'd imagine in Canada it must be much worse with the restrictions because of trudeau.

In my part of the states, February 2021 was particularly horrible. The power outages made it to where you had to have your own heater or maybe leave state to stay alive.

The moment my brother started to disrespect our Mom after having to be in the house he and my dad lived in, I wanted him to go through torture. I imagine similar things happened in other households even though that is a snippet of my personal life at the time.

Written By: Howard on 02/28/22 at 2:37 pm

How do you see 2022?

Written By: NightmareFarm on 02/28/22 at 2:43 pm

In my part of the states, February 2021 was particularly horrible. The power outages made it to where you had to have your own heater or maybe leave state to stay alive.

The moment my brother started to disrespect our Mom after having to be in the house he and my dad lived in, I wanted him to go through torture. I imagine similar things happened in other households even though that is a snippet of my personal life at the time.

Damn, that must have been difficult.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 02/28/22 at 3:10 pm

that must have been difficult.

Thanks.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/01/22 at 6:00 pm

The first half of 2020 was great but the second half was bad. I remember how optimistic I was when I made this thread in February of that year. You also had awesome songs like this come out during that time:

C5RrNaCfUXE

I'm still sensing the early '20s are around in 2022 but there is definitely change in the air.

For me it was the opposite. The first half of 2020 (mainly March until the summer) were bad but the second half was much better. But looking back I'll take the worst days of 2020 over the last week.

There was plenty of good music in 2020. My Spotify playlist for that year has about 60 songs. I might just delete my playlist from this year. I will want no memory of it.

Check for new replies or respond here...