inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Early 2020s Music

Written By: Slim95 on 02/26/20 at 2:39 pm

This is the style of music for the early 2020s.

(sorry couldn't link the videos so here is a list.)

Alessia Cara - October
Post Malone - Circles
Delaney Jane - Safe With You
The Man - Taylor Swift
SZA, Justin Timberlake - The Other Side
Billie Eilish - Everything I Wanted

It's this gloomy pop sound. It has a depressing and dark vibe to it with a hint of hope. There's also a hint of alt rock in there as well.

Subject: Re: Early 2020s Music

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/26/20 at 3:32 pm

Billie Eilish is the singer for the next James Bond film "No Time To Die", with the song due for release on April 2nd this year.

Written By: MSP10julia on 02/26/20 at 4:47 pm

This is the style of music for the early 2020s.

(sorry couldn't link the videos so here is a list.)

Alessia Cara - October
Post Malone - Circles
Delaney Jane - Safe With You
SZA, Justin Timberlake - The Other Side
Billie Eilish - Everything I Wanted

It's this gloomy pop sound. It has a depressing and dark vibe to it with a hint of hope. There's also a hint of alt rock in there as well.

The Other Side sounds too groovy and happy instead of gloomy for an early 2020's release.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/26/20 at 5:05 pm

Either way a transition is happening right now we are going through a shift right now as we speak or at least the culture is being solidified in 2020. 2016 and 2017 are both part of late 2010s culture and it isn't feeling a too much like like 2016 and 2017 anymore.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/26/20 at 8:12 pm

Either way a transition is happening right now we are going through a shift right now as we speak or at least the culture is being solidified in 2020. 2016 and 2017 are both part of late 2010s culture and it isn't feeling a too much like like 2016 and 2017 anymore.

Most people won’t understand that the transition is happening now until it’s time for them to reflect on what happened in the early 2020s. That could happen in 2022 or 2023, but true pop culturalists will have their fall preview TV Guide issues out when it’s September of 2020.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/28/20 at 2:33 am

The old school vibe is also very popular now in pop music too. Music is either depressing or funky. The new Dua Lipa song has that old school sound.

Nj2U6rhnucI

Trap is still popular in the charts where rap is concerned but I can see that declining soon it's already declining in terms of general pop music.

Early '20s music is probably just an extension of all this and I don't mind that! I like the old school funky vibe.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/28/20 at 12:27 pm

The old school vibe is also very popular now in pop music too. Music is either depressing or funky. The new Dua Lipa song has that old school sound.

Nj2U6rhnucI

Trap is still popular in the charts where rap is concerned but I can see that declining soon it's already declining in terms of general pop music.

Early '20s music is probably just an extension of all this and I don't mind that! I like the old school funky vibe.

For now, it seems like 70s and 80s retro revivals are popular. I don't mind them as well.  :)

Written By: Slim95 on 03/30/20 at 2:10 am

I think trap is getting slowly replaced with the '80s sounds now in the charts. I saw the latest Billboard charts and on the whole there are less trap songs popular and more retro pop songs. I think that's good, music is slowly improving. There's also some more alt-rock songs and indie pop too. The charts are more diverse now than they were a year ago, that's for sure and that's a good thing. 2020 is most definitely a transitional year for music too. 

Written By: Sman12 on 03/30/20 at 7:11 am

I think trap is getting slowly replaced with the '80s sounds now in the charts. I saw the latest Billboard charts and on the whole there are less trap songs popular and more retro pop songs. I think that's good, music is slowly improving. There's also some more alt-rock songs and indie pop too. The charts are more diverse now than they were a year ago, that's for sure and that's a good thing. 2020 is most definitely a transitional year for music too.

Looks like you're right. Despite the music scene being inactive thanks to the virus, I have noticed the change to more 80s synth-driven music. But trap still has a heavy presence.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/31/20 at 8:06 am

Looks like you're right. Despite the music scene being inactive thanks to the virus, I have noticed the change to more 80s synth-driven music. But trap still has a heavy presence.

With the movie lineup scheduled for this summer, sequels to classic 80's films and the new Wonderwoman set in 1984, there were hints of 80's nostalgia. The artists have been recording songs for awhile, so the 80's nostalgia was happening regardless. Meanwhile, Dua Lipa has been performing live concerts at her home for everyone in quarantine, so that's a new concept in itself.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/31/20 at 8:36 am

As soon as this is all over, there's likely to be an explosion.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/31/20 at 9:06 am

As soon as this is all over, there's likely to be an explosion.

I genuinely hope so, too. There has to be some sort of a pop culture explosion after artists are released from their homes after being enclosed for so long. But we could be wrong and the music scene stays the same.  :-\\

But like I've said before, trap, the most popular genre currently, has been oversaturated to the point where everything's been done before, like how hair metal got redundant back in the late 80s/early 90s and gave way to grunge and alternative rock. So something should change in the music industry post-coronavirus.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/31/20 at 9:36 am

I genuinely hope so, too. There has to be some sort of a pop culture explosion after artists are released from their homes after being enclosed for so long. But we could be wrong and the music scene stays the same.  :-\\

But like I've said before, trap, the most popular genre currently, has been oversaturated to the point where everything's been done before, like how hair metal got redundant back in the late 80s/early 90s and gave way to grunge and alternative rock. So something should change in the music industry post-coronavirus.

I think it will. Music probably won't continue to be the same after this. It may be more creative given everyone's inside and bored so it makes artists more creative and more time to create more quality music.

This would probably make the underground indie music scene flourish too. As indie artists have their own studios in their own houses and just upload their material on their own computer so more underground indie songs may be more popular because mainstream songs would be put on hold.

Written By: LooseBolt on 04/01/20 at 8:09 pm

Even outside of music, I can see this resulting in a real revolution of creativity in visual arts, film, and more. Kind of like the Great Depression.

Written By: Dundee on 04/03/20 at 6:16 am

All this funky, retro pop music seems really creatively bankrupt to me...

There's been tons of amazing experimental electronic and surreal pop projects released in the late 2010s that are hard to even label and I'm really disappointed none of it is making the charts or even influencing the pop landscape despite being extremely accessible. Instead people are jumping on stuff that has been done hundreds of time before. :(

Written By: Kairosan117 on 04/03/20 at 8:42 am

Saw them in that car lol on the first scene of the video.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/03/20 at 8:57 am

There's been tons of amazing experimental electronic and surreal pop projects released in the late 2010s that are hard to even label and I'm really disappointed none of it is making the charts or even influencing the pop landscape despite being extremely accessible. Instead people are jumping on stuff that has been done hundreds of time before. :(

Well, that's the mainstream for you. Label A&Rs are usually looking for artists that have the same or similar style of trendy pop music. The artists are more marketable that way.

All it takes is for one artist to change the pop landscape with a single that catapults him or her to fame and the pop music trends will soon follow. It happened with Lorde back in 2013, and there were subsequent artists that were similar to her all over the place (Daya, Tove Lo, Halsey, Billie Eilish, etc).

Written By: Slim95 on 04/03/20 at 10:54 am

I'm not disappointed at all. It sounds good. It's better than what we had. And it's not like it's been totally done before they can add some new sounds in there as well.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/13/20 at 8:13 pm

loOWKm8GW6A

Written By: mc98 on 05/27/20 at 12:17 pm

Between Don't Start Now and Rain On Me, we could see a revival of late 90s/early 00s Nu-Disco tracks throughout the early 2020s. Roses is a song from the sub-genre of EDM called Future House, which could be the sound of EDM in the early 2020s.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/30/20 at 3:10 pm

I think we'll hear the official sound of the early 2020s later in the fall of this year. Because remember just like 2013 was a unique year in music, it was a year where they had a lot of throwback songs and it was transitioning to the new sound of the mid 2010s. We're still transitioning and the same is happening in 2020 where people got tired of trap and there is a lot of throwback fun funky songs but the official sound of the early '20s will be unraveled later this year probably. So 2020 will be looked back as a unique and transitional year just like 2013 was I think. Unless the sound we currently have now continue on into next year but I think it's just short and it will transition into the official sound of the early 2020s later this year in the fall like what happened in 2013.

Written By: XYkid on 05/30/20 at 3:39 pm

I agree, it’s like the main stream doesn’t realise that synthwave has been a thing for almost a decade now.

Written By: Dundee on 05/30/20 at 5:11 pm

And it's still basically all trap and retro pop, very watered down feeling too.

Hopefully something will come up to shake things off in this bland monotony

Written By: Sman12 on 05/30/20 at 6:01 pm

And it's still basically all trap and retro pop, very watered down feeling too.

Hopefully something will come up to shake things off in this bland monotony

Yeah, throwback pop is good, but it does leave the 2020s without a unique identity.

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/03/20 at 7:28 pm

I’m enjoying the throwback style I’m hearing lately. The Weeknd, Doja Cat, Harry Styles, Dua Lipa. I just heard one that reminded me of Need You Tonight by INXS. Another one that started with an Oberheim synth like mid 80s Van Halen (or duplicating one).

Written By: Slim95 on 06/05/20 at 8:38 pm

This gives me early 2000s vibes

lEIqjoO0-Bs

I think early 2000s nostalgia is already here.

Written By: XYkid on 06/05/20 at 9:15 pm

loOWKm8GW6A
They ripped off the band STRFKR!!

Written By: Slim95 on 06/05/20 at 10:19 pm

2000s nostalgia is definitely here
wSdT-SArM2Q

Written By: xenzue on 06/05/20 at 10:33 pm

I feel like pop culture is essentially on pause. I’ve always said it but I feel like the current Pop culture landscape is very temporary, there are a lot of shifts that are happening to people in their day to day lives. Quarantine is making people like escape and miss the small things in life, Police brutality against peaceful protesters is radicalizing a lot of moderates . I’ve not seen this level of young angst in my lifetime. Obviously this will have deep effects in pop culture once everything settles.

Written By: 1997days on 06/06/20 at 12:08 am

I juat have this weird feeling that music wont really start changing into something fresh until like 2022 or 2023 which is still kinda far.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/06/20 at 8:46 am

I juat have this weird feeling that music wont really start changing into something fresh until like 2022 or 2023 which is still kinda far.

I'm thinking 2021. Another thought that came to mind is with all the support for the #blm movement, rap and R&B might be the dominant genre of the year. It already is anyway (mainly trap artists like Travis Scott and Roddy Ricch), but it will probably be even more so. The synth pop like Dua Lipa, Ariana Grande, and Lady Gaga will be a close secondary.

Written By: Sman12 on 06/06/20 at 10:03 am

I'm thinking 2021. Another thought that came to mind is with all the support for the #blm movement, rap and R&B might be the dominant genre of the year. It already is anyway (mainly trap artists like Travis Scott and Roddy Ricch), but it will probably be even more so. The synth pop like Dua Lipa, Ariana Grande, and Lady Gaga will be a close secondary.

I believe trap music will die out soon. It's been going on for decades (think of the T.I. and Young Jeezy days), and it has already peaked with its sound imo. I'm already tired of it.  ;D

I also see a house music revival happening in the coming years, if the albums Chromatica and Future Nostalgia are of any indication.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/06/20 at 11:32 am

Music is already changing now though.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/07/20 at 2:43 pm

The throwback trend is really big now

WrpBgN_iUnA

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/08/20 at 7:28 am

The throwback trend is really big now

WrpBgN_iUnA

I love it. I don’t care if it lacks a new identity. It’s better than it was at least to me. I’ve been waiting and hoping for a long time for an 80s music revival. Not covers but actually feeling the style and incorporating it into new stuff.

Right in the opener it first sounds like the intro to The Voice by Moody Blues, then the end of Head Over Heels by Tears For Fears.

Written By: passthegabagool on 06/11/20 at 1:04 pm

"Everything I Wanted" by Billie Eilish actually reminds me of early 2000s indie pop.

Written By: mc98 on 06/27/20 at 5:36 pm

So far, early 2020s music could be split into four categories:

Second-wave Throwbacks
Rain On Me
Say So
Blinding Lights
Don't Start Now

Chill indie-inspired pop
Circles
Watermelon Sugar
Sunday Best
Death Bed(This is more Lo-Fi but still chill)
Adore You
Everything I Wanted
Supalonely

Bassy/airy trap
Rockstar
The Box
Blueberry Faygo
Savage
Life Is Good

Future House
Breaking Me
Roses
Piece Of Your Heart

Written By: TheKid99 on 06/27/20 at 6:09 pm

I do think a more modern new new wave could become more mainstream this year into next.... The 1975's If You’re Too Shy (Let Me Know) is a big example of this. Seeing odd 5 second Geico commercials of like this 80's feel. I think we could see a bit of an 80s new wave inspired undertone to this decade similar to the 70s funk inspiration for many of the top songs in the 2010s(Get Lucky, Happy, Blurred Lines, Uptown Funk, 24K Magic)

Written By: Slim95 on 06/27/20 at 6:13 pm

I do think a more modern new new wave could become more mainstream this year into next.... The 1975's If You’re Too Shy (Let Me Know) is a big example of this. Seeing odd 5 second Geico commercials of like this 80's feel. I think we could see a bit of an 80s new wave inspired undertone to this decade similar to the 70s funk inspiration for many of the top songs in the 2010s(Get Lucky, Happy, Blurred Lines, Uptown Funk, 24K Magic)

I hope so. I wouldn't even mind if they incorporate newer elements in it to make it sound more fresh. But I am liking the '80s throwback vibe of this decade. It's something I didn't expect because I thought 1980s nostalgia is done away with but apparently not.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/28/20 at 7:16 am

I hope so. I wouldn't even mind if they incorporate newer elements in it to make it sound more fresh. But I am liking the '80s throwback vibe of this decade. It's something I didn't expect because I thought 1980s nostalgia is done away with but apparently not.

We're in the 2nd wave of 80's nostalgia, which started around 2013. The first wave was from the late 90's to mid 00's.

Written By: Sman12 on 06/28/20 at 5:28 pm

We're in the 2nd wave of 80's nostalgia, which started around 2013. The first wave was from the late 90's to mid 00's.

I didn't realize that. But it's another testament of how 80s synth and retrofuturistic aesthetic rules.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/28/20 at 7:41 pm

So far, early 2020s music could be split into four categories:

Second-wave Throwbacks
Rain On Me
Say So
Blinding Lights
Don't Start Now

Chill indie-inspired pop
Circles
Watermelon Sugar
Sunday Best
Death Bed(This is more Lo-Fi but still chill)
Adore You
Everything I Wanted
Supalonely

Bassy/airy trap
Rockstar
The Box
Blueberry Faygo
Savage
Life Is Good

Future House
Breaking Me
Roses
Piece Of Your Heart

I agree but you're forgetting 2010s style EDM. That Mashmello and Halsey song is huge now I always hear it on the radio and it sounds like it's something straight out of 2017. EDM is apparently still lingering on as well as trap, but clearly fading away at the same time.

Written By: mc98 on 06/28/20 at 7:43 pm

I agree but you're forgetting 2010s style EDM. That Mashmello and Halsey song is huge now I always hear it on the radio and it sounds like it's something straight out of 2017. EDM is apparently still lingering on as well as trap, but clearly fading away at the same time.

The song only reached at #29. Not that huge if you ask me.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/28/20 at 7:44 pm

The song only reached at #29. Not that huge if you ask me.

Oh ok I wasn't keeping up with the charts I just heard it on the radio a bunch of times.

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/03/20 at 2:34 pm

I still don’t really hear any change in music. Binding Lights and Physical did give me some hope in the beginning, but now I’m not really sure.

I just want something different, danceable and upbeat like it was in the early 2010’s. I feel like every song just sounds the same and sounds so generic. Like there’s just no creativity. At least songs back in 2010 actually made you want to get up and dance.

I will say that I love “Savage” by Megan Thee Stallion and “Say So” by Doja Cat. The former song actually gets you turnt and makes you want to dance. The latter sounds different from generic mainstream pop and actually has creativity to it IMO.

Written By: mc98 on 07/03/20 at 3:07 pm

I still don’t really hear any change in music. Binding Lights and Physical did give me some hope in the beginning, but now I’m not really sure.

I just want something different, danceable and upbeat like it was in the early 2010’s. I feel like every song just sounds the same and sounds so generic. Like there’s just no creativity. At least songs back in 2010 actually made you want to get up and dance.

I will say that I love “Savage” by Megan Thee Stallion and “Say So” by Doja Cat. The former song actually gets you turnt and makes you want to dance. The latter sounds different from generic mainstream pop and actually has creativity to it IMO.

I really like Watermelon Sugar and Rain On Me which are both unique. The former isn't a dance song but it has a nice vibe to it. Blueberry Faygo also has a nice summery sound to it.

Written By: Dundee on 07/04/20 at 1:34 pm

2020 kind of reverted back to 2018's music which is a shame because 2019 made me hopeful that pop music would move into an acoustic direction and that bedroom made feeling and hip hop starts mixing loads of odd inspirations.

Hopefully 2021 will kick this year's butt and its blandness and unorginality out of the window.

Written By: Sman12 on 07/05/20 at 9:13 am

2020 kind of reverted back to 2018's music which is a shame because 2019 made me hopeful that pop music would move into an acoustic direction and that bedroom made feeling and hip hop starts mixing loads of odd inspirations.

Hopefully 2021 will kick this year's butt and its blandness and unorginality out of the window.

I hope so, too. Trap music can't last forever, and it's already gotten stale.

Check for new replies or respond here...