inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2020 is a surreal year already

Written By: Dundee on 03/12/20 at 11:44 am

From the first few diagnoses on new year's day to a world pandemic that caused entire countries to close off, pop culture to mostly stay still and economies nearing collapse... in 3 months time.

Wow, just wow.

Subject: Re: 2020 is a surreal year already

Written By: Sman12 on 03/12/20 at 12:08 pm

What a way to change the cultural atmosphere.

And it looks like most college basketball tournaments have been cancelled.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/12/20 at 12:40 pm

What a way to change the cultural atmosphere.

And it looks like most college basketball tournaments have been cancelled.

Many holidays/vacations have been cancelled too.

Written By: 2001 on 03/12/20 at 12:52 pm

To think we started off this year with Australia burning at the stakes, Brexit and WW3. How quaint.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/12/20 at 2:23 pm

To think we started off this year with Australia burning at the stakes, Brexit and WW3. How quaint.

Most of those have been forgotten about. Now it's all about the Coronavirus.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/12/20 at 2:25 pm

Most of those have been forgotten about. Now it's all about the Coronavirus.
Both Brexit and Coronavirus have the degree of uncertainty.

Written By: temaichi on 03/13/20 at 10:33 am

Even music festivals! Some artists are forced to cancel all their tour dates because of the corona virus.
It scares me to wake up everyday and hearing news about such horrible tragedies around the world.

The world's biggest gaming show "E3" was cancelled too. Pretty much all communities are being affected during this time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/20 at 10:47 am

Even music festivals! Some artists are forced to cancel all their tour dates because of the corona virus.
It scares me to wake up everyday and hearing news about such horrible tragedies around the world.

The world's biggest gaming show "E3" was cancelled too. Pretty much all communities are being affected during this time.

The whole world is changing, so quickly too.

Written By: Howard on 03/13/20 at 1:58 pm

The whole world is changing, so quickly too.

I'm not letting a virus stop me from doing the things I enjoy doing!

Written By: Sman12 on 03/13/20 at 2:27 pm

This is definitely a life-altering event similar to the JFK assassination, Pearl Harbor, and 9/11.

We have a world before Covid-19, and then a world after Covid-19, but it won't be the same.

Written By: Dundee on 03/16/20 at 5:59 pm

Due to the corona virus spreading, this thread will be closed until further notice.

Written By: Dundee on 03/22/20 at 6:04 pm

We won't let the coronavirus win!

Keep posting some random facts about why this garbage year is so goddang surreal

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/23/20 at 6:42 am

To be fair, as I said in another thread, E3 has long been on a trajectory of decline anyway. There was a 50/50 chance it was going to be cancelled this year even before the virus struck.

Written By: Elor on 03/23/20 at 7:51 am

And this is the attitude that makes the virus spread.... ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/23/20 at 8:31 am

From the first few diagnoses on new year's day to a world pandemic that caused entire countries to close off, pop culture to mostly stay still and economies nearing collapse... in 3 months time.

Wow, just wow.
Lockdown can happen here any day now!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/23/20 at 8:40 am

And this is the attitude that makes the virus spread.... ::)
Ideally, keep away from outdoor activities.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/23/20 at 9:10 am

Keep posting some random facts about why this garbage year is so goddang surreal

Lmao. Well, for one thing, there are stay-at-home concerts with celebrities like Keith Urban and Chris Martin of Coldplay. There are also people staying at home and finding other activities to do as more parents are getting furloughed and children are out of school until whenever.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/23/20 at 9:14 am

Somewhere on social media there is a face off between the British composer Andrew Lloyd Webber and (I think) Lin-Manuel Miranda, the American composer, each battling out songs on the piano to beat the other. If anyone finds the link I will be much appreciative,

Written By: imrane on 03/23/20 at 10:25 am

Lmao. Well, for one thing, there are stay-at-home concerts with celebrities like Keith Urban and Chris Martin of Coldplay. There are also people staying at home and finding other activities to do as more parents are getting furloughed and children are out of school until whenever.

Yep, a former classmate of mine used the lockdown to record some instrumental music: https://soundcloud.com/user-681162994/sets/mihails-ep
:)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/23/20 at 11:03 am

I can imagine the publication of many first time authors publishing new books, with many a person stuck at home, seeking for something to do.

Written By: Howard on 03/24/20 at 7:57 am

Ideally, keep away from outdoor activities.

Sorry I should try to do that.

Written By: Shemp97 on 03/25/20 at 7:28 pm

I remember back in the 00's how people used to fantasize about the year 2020 and what we would accomplish by then. It's surreal how dystopian this year has truly become.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/26/20 at 9:24 am

I remember back in the 00's how people used to fantasize about the year 2020 and what we would accomplish by then. It's surreal how dystopian this year has truly become.

I thought 2020 would start off more optimistic after the tumultuous late 2010s years we've faced around the world. But nope, we started off this decade with a new era of despondency.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/26/20 at 10:03 am

I thought 2020 would start off more optimistic after the tumultuous late 2010s years we've faced around the world. But nope, we started off this decade with a new era of despondency.

The late 10's were great by comparison. It was like the calm before the storm. It's pretty bad when it seemed things were "better" when the news was a mass shooting every week. This year literally started from day one and it's been nonstop, and I don't think things will get better in 2021 or any part of this decade for that matter.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/26/20 at 10:54 am

The late 10's were great by comparison. It was like the calm before the storm. It's pretty bad when it seemed things were "better" when the news was a mass shooting every week. This year literally started from day one and it's been nonstop, and I don't think things will get better in 2021 or any part of this decade for that matter.

Must admit, I’m starting to miss the late 10s a little bit.

Written By: Dundee on 03/28/20 at 8:50 am

A bit of sunshine in the dark days, but this new style of living has definitely triggered the ingenuity of people, making 2020 a really unique year in history:

xdw7WEMe9AI

Written By: Sman12 on 03/29/20 at 9:32 am

A bit of sunshine in the dark days, but this new style of living has definitely triggered the ingenuity of people, making 2020 a really unique year in history:

xdw7WEMe9AI

The worst of times bring out the best of humanity, and that's a major example.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/30/20 at 3:09 am

I remember a couple years ago some people predicted on this site the 2020s would be apocalyptic and dark. I remember people were annoyed they were being so pessimistic but it turns out they may have been right!  :o That is if this whole corona virus thing doesn't get contained and things don't go back to normal. I predicted there would be a flu pandemic in 2019 but I was off by one year.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/30/20 at 3:11 am

The worst of times bring out the best of humanity, and that's a major example.

I was also thinking about how it's good for the environment everyone staying home and stuff there is less pollution in the air worldwide right now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/30/20 at 3:19 am

I was also thinking about how it's good for the environment everyone staying home and stuff there is less pollution in the air worldwide right now.
It has been reported in the media, the air pollution in parts of India is at a minial level, and the air smelt fresher here when I was out just now.

Written By: Howard on 03/30/20 at 3:38 pm

People are a lot more friendlier.

Written By: 2001 on 03/30/20 at 8:41 pm

People are a lot more friendlier.

Not me. If I see you outside imma smack you with my gloves on.

Written By: Dundee on 03/31/20 at 6:15 am

Keep your distances with people!

Written By: Sman12 on 03/31/20 at 7:29 am

https://media.giphy.com/media/110MZt5qYxdrH2/giphy.gif

Written By: Howard on 03/31/20 at 7:43 am

You'll give someone a virus with the gloves on.

Written By: Howard on 03/31/20 at 7:44 am

Keep your distances with people!

6 feet!

Written By: Howard on 04/02/20 at 8:11 am

I think the first 3 months of 2020 have been so surreal from Kobe's death to the coronavirus pandemic and who knows the next 3 months will bring!  :o

Written By: Sman12 on 04/02/20 at 10:44 am

I think the first 3 months of 2020 have been so surreal from Kobe's death to the coronavirus pandemic and who knows the next 3 months will bring!  :o

And there were the tornadoes in Arkansas and Tennessee and the recent Idaho earthquake.  2020 is just a crazy year for the wrong reasons.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/20 at 11:03 am

And there were the tornadoes in Arkansas and Tennessee and the recent Idaho earthquake.  2020 is just a crazy year for the wrong reasons.
Also, there was the volcano eruption that displaced many people in the Philippines.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/02/20 at 11:11 am

Also, there was the volcano eruption that displaced many people in the Philippines.

Has a year ever been this chaotic before in modern times??? Because imo, 2020's a contender for being one of the worst years in history in terms of current events.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/02/20 at 11:15 am

Has a year ever been this chaotic before in modern times??? Because imo, 2020's a contender for being one of the worst years in history in terms of current events.

The days of WW2 was a lot worse. I think the Spanish Flu and Great Depression era was probably worse too.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/02/20 at 11:50 am

The days of WW2 was a lot worse. I think the Spanish Flu and Great Depression era was probably worse too.

Oh, those are definitely worse. I agree that we have it better nowadays, but everything that happened thus far in the year is just depressing.

Written By: Howard on 04/02/20 at 2:41 pm

2020 is supposed to a year for looking towards the future, 2020 seems dark and disturbing but maybe things will get better, hopefully.

Written By: Howard on 04/02/20 at 2:42 pm

I guess with year that comes along, there always seems to be some sort of bad news.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/02/20 at 3:22 pm

2020 is supposed to a year for looking towards the future, 2020 seems dark and disturbing but maybe things will get better, hopefully.

It could just set the tone for how the entire decade is going to be.

Written By: Kairosan117 on 04/02/20 at 3:50 pm

The culture is already changing. Social distancing wasn’t in the lexicon last year but certainly is the new phrase. Well contagion actually had a similar phrase in their 2013 movie.

Commercial on TV cater to the new changes the coronavirus has led us to live. Curbside, takeout and Uber eats is even bigger than before.  With new mantras like “ we’re all in this together” or “let’s get thru this”
Y’all? Those are the early 2020 style commercials!!!!!

Also apparently, social distancing is the new normal and that “nothing will be the same” after the coronavirus pandemic.

I predict that after this Pandemic dies down, Bill Gates and his roadies will have some magnificent tattoo implantable Real ID chips/vaccine for all global citizens to take to detect whether or not we’re sick with the coronavirus or not. You’ll have to be scanned by the flu gun before entering the store.

Shaking hands will no longer be allowed or socially acceptable and having an inplantable chip in your body will be as normal as carrying around an iPhone or android.

Universal Basic Income  will be possible through a blockchain digital ID program embedded on the chip. Hospitals will just need to scan your hand to find out who your doctor is or medical records, medication doses, etc..most of the world will be introduced to digital centralized Cryptocurrency(Facebook libra or other forms of crypto) through the microchip in your hand will be a safer and cleaner way to do transactions. While paper cash will be dirty
What we are witnessing or living through right now is the early 2020s and what we known so well as the 2010s is definitely going to be behind us by the fall. And most definitely during the early to mid months of 2021.

Even more so, as the 2020s progress, watch out for Amazon drone flying package shipping and wearable technology such as augmented glasses Apple Microsoft and other companies will release to the public.Work from home companies will be the norm since most retailer stores will be on their way out the door or closed indefinitely as we are seeing right now and this time frame. Go ahead, read this  Forum 3 years from now and tell me if I was wrong. Go ahead and check time stamp.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/02/20 at 4:46 pm

The culture is already changing. Social distancing wasn’t in the lexicon last year but certainly is the new phrase. Well contagion actually had a similar phrase in their 2013 movie.

Commercial on TV cater to the new changes the coronavirus has led us to live. Curbside, takeout and Uber eats is even bigger than before.  With new mantras like “ we’re all in this together” or “let’s get thru this”
Y’all? Those are the early 2020 style commercials!!!!!

Also apparently, social distancing is the new normal and that “nothing will be the same” after the coronavirus pandemic.

I predict that after this Pandemic dies down, Bill Gates and his roadies will have some magnificent tattoo implantable Real ID chips/vaccine for all global citizens to take to detect whether or not we’re sick with the coronavirus or not. You’ll have to be scanned by the flu gun before entering the store.

Shaking hands will no longer be allowed or socially acceptable and having an inplantable chip in your body will be as normal as carrying around an iPhone or android.

Universal Basic Income  will be possible through a blockchain digital ID program embedded on the chip. Hospitals will just need to scan your hand to find out who your doctor is or medical records, medication doses, etc..most of the world will be introduced to digital centralized Cryptocurrency(Facebook libra or other forms of crypto) through the microchip in your hand will be a safer and cleaner way to do transactions. While paper cash will be dirty
What we are witnessing or living through right now is the early 2020s and what we known so well as the 2010s is definitely going to be behind us by the fall. And most definitely during the early to mid months of 2021.

Even more so, as the 2020s progress, watch out for Amazon drone flying package shipping and wearable technology such as augmented glasses Apple Microsoft and other companies will release to the public.Work from home companies will be the norm since most retailer stores will be on their way out the door or closed indefinitely as we are seeing right now and this time frame. Go ahead, read this  Forum 3 years from now and tell me if I was wrong. Go ahead and check time stamp.

I agree with your post except for the bold predictions. I think it's too far-fetched for Americans to get implanted chips on their bodies for the government to track them. It's directly a violation of the 4th Amendment of unwanted searches and seizures.

Written By: Kairosan117 on 04/02/20 at 5:38 pm

Yes that’s true, but with fear, people might submit. Others will flee

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 04/02/20 at 7:01 pm

REALLY hope our privacy isn't invaded with compulsory ID chips.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/02/20 at 7:14 pm

^They're not putting anything into my body, I can assure you that.

Written By: Howard on 04/03/20 at 7:58 am

It could just set the tone for how the entire decade is going to be.

There needs to be at least some good news.

Written By: Howard on 04/03/20 at 8:00 am

I agree with your post except for the bold predictions. I think it's too far-fetched for Americans to get implanted chips on their bodies for the government to track them. It's directly a violation of the 4th Amendment of unwanted searches and seizures.

But where will they be implanted?

Written By: rapplepop on 04/03/20 at 8:59 pm

^They're not putting anything into my body, I can assure you that.

Same here. I'm a Christian, the Bible warned us about that.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/04/20 at 8:58 am

The Mark of the Beast. They said it's better to starve, be without resources than to have it implanted. It's supposed to be when we have a global government, the Anti-Christ.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/04/20 at 11:28 am

I'm not a Christian, but even then, I don't want the government to track my every move.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/04/20 at 11:58 am

REALLY hope our privacy isn't invaded with compulsory ID chips.
Since seeing "A Beautiful Mind", I regarded as a futuristic form of ID Cards. But, Google seem to know a lot about you?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/12/20 at 1:59 am

The Mark of the Beast. They said it's better to starve, be without resources than to have it implanted. It's supposed to be when we have a global government, the Anti-Christ.

Yup. it will come eventually regardless of how we feel and I think this virus could be a sneak preview of what's to come...

Written By: muppethammer26 on 04/15/20 at 7:22 pm

In the future, March 11, 2020 will probably be looked back as the day that everything changed. On that day, the WHO declared COVID-19 to be a pandemic, which caused most events to be canceled (such as the Monaco Grand Prix and E3 2020) or postponed (such as the 2020 Olympics and the UEFA Euro 2020 (both of which were postponed to 2021)), schools and some businesses to be closed, people buying so many things that caused most shelves to be almost empty, etc. By the end of March, most of the streets were more empty than it was in the beginning of March. Future children will learn about how this pandemic changed the world via history books in school and their parents will tell them how this pandemic affected their lives.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/20 at 4:51 am

In the future, March 11, 2020 will probably be looked back as the day that everything changed. On that day, the WHO declared COVID-19 to be a pandemic, which caused most events to be canceled (such as the Monaco Grand Prix and E3 2020) or postponed (such as the 2020 Olympics and the UEFA Euro 2020 (both of which were postponed to 2021)), schools and some businesses to be closed, people buying so many things that caused most shelves to be almost empty, etc. By the end of March, most of the streets were more empty than it was in the beginning of March. Future children will learn about how this pandemic changed the world via history books in school and their parents will tell them how this pandemic affected their lives.
It was that date, March 11th 2020, I woke feeling iffy, automatically rest in bed, and turned out to be something else. From then on I have been in self-isolation, and a week and a few days later it was declared that the UK was on lockdown, only essential shops oen, and "stay at home".

Yes, you are right, with no sport what is there to pay attention to?

Written By: Sman12 on 04/16/20 at 7:39 am

I think January 20, 2020 will also be a significant date, because both the U.S. and South Korea had their first presumptive cases of the coronavirus on that day, and they did radically different courses of action. South Korea quickly started to ramp up testing, do extensive contract tracing, and quarantine those who were sick. And they're doing mostly well with contacting the virus so far.

What the U.S. did was supply little amounts of testing, ban travel from China to the U.S. to foreigners, downplaying the virus as "the same as the flu" and "the risk remains low", declared a public health emergency on January 31 (but life remained normal at the time), declared a national emergency on March 13, ban foreigners from Europe (but not England), and we're planning on reopening the economy by May 1 (after the Easter plan obviously failed). We have the most confirmed cases in the world.

Written By: Howard on 04/16/20 at 7:57 am

It was that date, March 11th 2020, I woke feeling iffy, automatically rest in bed, and turned out to be something else. From then on I have been in self-isolation, and a week and a few days later it was declared that the UK was on lockdown, only essential shops oen, and "stay at home".

Yes, you are right, with no sport what is there to pay attention to?

People are anxious to go back to playing sports.

Written By: Howard on 04/16/20 at 7:59 am

Some days I feel like I stepped into a Sci-Fi film and the film Groundhog Day with Bill Murray where he wakes up and sees the same day over and over but in our case it's the pandemic and everyone is sporting gloves and masks.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/20 at 8:04 am

Some days I feel like I stepped into a Sci-Fi film and the film Groundhog Day with Bill Murray where he wakes up and sees the same day over and over but in our case it's the pandemic and everyone is sporting gloves and masks.
Have you seen "Contagion"? It is on Netflix over here, also "Groundhog Day" is too.

Written By: Howard on 04/16/20 at 8:45 am

Have you seen "Contagion"? It is on Netflix over here, also "Groundhog Day" is too.

I'm might see it when I get a chance to.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/20 at 9:43 am

I'm might see it when I get a chance to.
There is "Outbreak" too, that is on Netflix as well, I saw it some time back, but under the circumstances of today, I do not mind seeing it again.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/16/20 at 9:46 am

Same! I wish that the coronavirus was a nightmare, but unfortunately it's real, and we have to live through it.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/16/20 at 10:24 am

I was thinking of starting a thread titled "If 2020 was a movie", and those are exactly the two movies I would have mentioned.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/20 at 10:31 am

I was thinking of starting a thread titled "If 2020 was a movie", and those are exactly the two movies I would have mentioned.
Add " Outbreak" too.

Written By: Howard on 04/16/20 at 4:09 pm

Same! I wish that the coronavirus was a nightmare, but unfortunately it's real, and we have to live through it.

But it is a nightmare.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/16/20 at 4:15 pm

It feels like I'm in a different decade everything feels different and operates different outside

Written By: Howard on 04/16/20 at 4:24 pm

It feels like I'm in a different decade everything feels different and operates different outside

I feel like I entered a Science Fiction film!

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/16/20 at 6:02 pm

I feel like I entered a Science Fiction film!

One of those dystopian/post-apocalyptic films.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/16/20 at 6:05 pm

Add " Outbreak" too.

We watched Contagion and Outbreak back to back one night. One thing I realized, Contagion was released in 2011 and Outbreak was released in 1995, so they were able to maintain a 16 year parallel with those two movies, lol.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/20/20 at 12:59 pm

We watched Contagion and Outbreak back to back one night. One thing I realized, Contagion was released in 2011 and Outbreak was released in 1995, so they were able to maintain a 16 year parallel with those two movies, lol.
I am trying to work out any other pandemic related films there are, its OK to find them, how are we to watch them?

Written By: muppethammer26 on 04/20/20 at 7:38 pm

Will the first event post-lockdown please turn on the lights?  :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/21/20 at 4:57 am

I am trying to work out any other pandemic related films there are, its OK to find them, how are we to watch them?

I imagine this coronavirus craze has pretty much put a stop to producing new porno flicks.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/21/20 at 7:41 am

I imagine this coronavirus craze has pretty much put a stop to producing new porno flicks.

Or movies in general.

Written By: Howard on 04/21/20 at 7:45 am

That too may be put on hold as well.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/21/20 at 10:58 am

many a television and movie production has been put on hold.

Written By: Howard on 04/21/20 at 2:24 pm

They have to wait till this is completely gone.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/21/20 at 2:34 pm

And that's why The Batman is delayed from June to October 2021. You can see from my username why that matters to me, lol.

Written By: 2001 on 04/21/20 at 2:39 pm

Homemade porno is probably surging at the moment. It was already rising before this, people feel they have a more "intimate" relationship with porn stars that have Instagram accounts who send you personalized pics, videos and messages. "Gamer girl bath water" (exactly what it sounds like) selling for $30 a bottle was one of the biggest gaming news stories in 2019.

Written By: Howard on 04/21/20 at 2:49 pm

Homemade porno is probably surging at the moment. It was already rising before this, people feel they have a more "intimate" relationship with porn stars that have Instagram accounts who send you personalized pics, videos and messages. "Gamer girl bath water" (exactly what it sounds like) selling for $30 a bottle was one of the biggest gaming news stories in 2019.

You can actually buy dirty bath water?  :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/21/20 at 3:18 pm

And that's why The Batman is delayed from June to October 2021. You can see from my username why that matters to me, lol.
I understand. I always look forward to "The Apprentice (UK)" everyy year and that is recorded in May and June for the year, and shown in the weeks leading up to Christmas, we are in the same boat.

Written By: 2001 on 04/21/20 at 9:00 pm

You can actually buy dirty bath water?  :P

I just checked and the price has gone up to $250! And her pee is going for $1,000. Now that's what I call a golden shower :o

Written By: Sman12 on 04/21/20 at 10:39 pm

I just checked and the price has gone up to $250! And her pee is going for $1,000. Now that's what I call a golden shower :o

Stories like that make me question humanity.  8-P

Written By: 2001 on 04/21/20 at 11:16 pm

Stories like that make me question humanity.  8-P

I don't kinkshame but there were dudes that bought her bath water and then demanded she give them unlimited attention for being such die-hard fans of hers, and that's just not how it works. If you want the nudes you still gotta pay like everyone else.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/22/20 at 2:04 am

I do not wish to know... ?

Written By: Howard on 04/22/20 at 4:23 am

I don't understand people sometimes!  ::)

Written By: Sman12 on 04/22/20 at 10:04 am

She also sells her own piss?! That's not a kink; that's a sign that she needs mental help

Written By: 2001 on 04/22/20 at 10:05 am

I do not wish to know... ?

Sorry about that  ;D :-X

Check for new replies or respond here...