inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2020s is already starting to feel diferent than the 2010s....

Written By: StrangeShape on 03/12/20 at 12:53 pm

And it has just been 3 months and it doesn't feel anything like 2010-2019 already.

> The whole coronavirus histeria
> E3 cancelled due the coronavirus, big chance E3 is never held again.
> PS5 and Xbox Series X will launch this year.
> WW3 scare because of that commander getting killed.
> Coronavirus might affect pop culture

And that's just in 3 months.... :\'(

Subject: Re: 2020s is already starting to feel diferent than the 2010s....

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/12/20 at 12:57 pm

And it has just been 3 months and it doesn't feel anything like 2010-2019 already.

> The whole coronavirus hysteria

With many outdoor events, conferences, and concerts being cancelled.

Written By: StrangeShape on 03/12/20 at 1:22 pm

With many outdoor events, conferences, and concerts being cancelled.

Also economy is crashing.... :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/12/20 at 1:27 pm

Also economy is crashing.... :-\\
...many people not going out

Written By: Slim95 on 03/12/20 at 5:55 pm

It's a transitional year. Or as many like to call it a "shift" year.

Written By: Dundee on 03/12/20 at 6:01 pm

Transitional in the worst way possible I guess

Written By: Sman12 on 03/12/20 at 6:19 pm

I thought it would be transitional because of the UK exiting the EU, a re-election or a new president, and the upcoming ninth generation of video games.

Not like this.  :-\\

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/12/20 at 8:00 pm

Right. It brings us into the 2020s. I guess there will be hand sanitizer in most stores in the 2020s.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/12/20 at 8:23 pm

I feel like this decade is going to be the exact opposite of how the 2010’s played out. Right now everything’s a complete mess. I feel like by the end of this decade, we might return to a more upbeat, more calm atmosphere like we had in the early 2010’s. In other words, the 2020’s are going to start badly but end on a good note, which is the exact opposite of how the 2010’s played out.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/12/20 at 9:32 pm

I feel like this decade is going to be the exact opposite of how the 2010’s played out. Right now everything’s a complete mess. I feel like by the end of this decade, we might return to a more upbeat, more calm atmosphere like we had in the early 2010’s. In other words, the 2020’s are going to start badly but end on a good note, which is the exact opposite of how the 2010’s played out.

I hope you're right. My gut feeling is it's going to go from bad to worse. It's pretty bad when the 2010's (even the mid and late parts) are starting to feel like the good ol days.

Written By: StrangeShape on 03/12/20 at 10:25 pm

I think when the coronavirus is under control it will get better.... which i think by May we will return to normal pop culture.

Written By: Howard on 03/13/20 at 8:04 am

...many people not going out

And staying home.

Written By: temaichi on 03/13/20 at 10:49 am

I think when the coronavirus is under control it will get better.... which i think by May we will return to normal pop culture.

I hope it will! I hope this is all just some seasonal illness and that the temperature can contribute to slowing down the virus while the CDC can come up with some type of treatment for it, but even that will take about 12-18 months before they can identify what is going on and an another year after that just to sell it to everyone.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/15/20 at 1:36 am

The early 2010s didn't start on a positive note... The great recession and the swine flu was a very depressing time. It started out dark and finished dark...

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/15/20 at 8:37 am

I did want to chime in to say E3 was likely to be cancelled this year even if it hadn't been for the coronavirus pandemic. The trade show has been on the decline for years, and many of the biggest developers have started holding their own conferences anyway. This may have just accelerated the inevitable is all.

Subject: Re: 2020s is already starting to feel diferrent than the 2010s....

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/15/20 at 9:11 am

With the chance of mass gatherings being banned (in the UK), there will be a big difference... ?

Written By: Sman12 on 03/15/20 at 10:12 am

I did want to chime in to say E3 was likely to be cancelled this year even if it hadn't been for the coronavirus pandemic. The trade show has been on the decline for years, and many of the biggest developers have started holding their own conferences anyway. This may have just accelerated the inevitable is all.

Agreed. I also feel like all game and console reveals are gonna go in the way of digital Nintendo Directs.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/15/20 at 10:35 am

Agreed. I also feel like all game and console reveals are gonna go in the way of digital Nintendo Directs.

Yeah, basically.

Written By: StrangeShape on 03/15/20 at 11:42 am

Yeah, E3 is likely dead  :-\\.

I also think working at home and online schools will get a big boost in popularity because of the virus.

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/15/20 at 2:15 pm

> The whole coronavirus histeria

E3 is going to be a digital conference this year from what I read. I doubt they'll never hold one again IRL. Just this is precuationary measures.

Written By: Dundee on 03/16/20 at 7:48 am

I don't think living life in the last 60 years has been as dramatically different between two adjacent years as 2020 is to 2019.

Y'all wanted a decade-related change, y'all getting it ;D.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/16/20 at 8:25 am

I don't think living life in the last 60 years has been as dramatically different between two adjacent years as 2020 is to 2019.

I can't believe that I'm witnessing this.

For the 2000s, it was 9/11.

For the 2010s, it was the global recession and Arab Spring.
For the 2020s, it's this.  :o

Written By: Dundee on 03/16/20 at 1:46 pm

I can't believe it I'm witnessing this.

For the 2000s, it was 9/11.

For the 2010s, it was the global recession and Arab Spring.
For the 2020s, it's this.  :o

Neither did 9/11, the Arab spring or even the global recession impact people's lives to such levels at such widespread scale.

This is an event of catastrophic levels we're witnessing, my people.

Written By: The Master on 03/16/20 at 2:10 pm

2020 is basically 2019 Part II so far... I don’t really get what’s so different other than this virus.

Written By: The Master on 03/16/20 at 2:22 pm

The early 2010s didn't start on a positive note... The great recession and the swine flu was a very depressing time. It started out dark and finished dark...

I think what Rainbowz means is that despite stuff like Swine Flu, Haiti Earthquake and the recession there was a more ‘upbeat’ vibe to the early 10s, it reflected in the bright clothes, the corny electro pop and corny pop culture in general. Obama was a sign of hope for many (not all obviously) and the killing of Osama Bin Laden...

Whereas the late 10s/now everything feels way more intense/gloomy and a bit hopeless and it’s reflected also in the garbage music like Billie Eilish and those drug addicted trap rappers.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/16/20 at 2:27 pm

StrangeShape you forgot to add Kobe's tragic death along with his daughter Gigi and the other victims who crashed with them.

2020 is basically 2019 Part II so far... I don’t really get what’s so different other than this virus.

No, this year so far is NOTHING like 2019, not even close. Don't even put 2020 in the same as 2019. This year has been worse than any other year I can remember my whole lifetime and that's saying a lot. Going by the first 3 months.

Written By: Dundee on 03/16/20 at 2:28 pm

Maybe that you could live a normal life in 2019 and not everything was cancelled and paranoia wasn't as rampant??????????

What a mind-blowing post to read

Written By: xenzue on 03/16/20 at 2:38 pm

Literally 4 of my twitter mutuals got laid off and basically have no way to feed themselves, my brother is excepted to lose his job too as they’ve not had a single customer in 3 days. Entire businesses are closing down. No, this is not 2019 part 2. This is the start of a whole new era.

Hell entire cultures are changing, like in Latin America some ppl started bowing their head instead of handshakes, and traditionally Italians are very touchy people but social distancing is the absolute norm now

Written By: StrangeShape on 03/16/20 at 2:41 pm

I can't believe there's people who still think the coronavirus isn't a big deal and it will be forgoten in 2021.... :-\\

This event will probably change society and economy in a lot of ways, we're likely just starting...just wait until it hits Brasil, India and all those countries full force.... :\'(

This is more big than 9/11 and the great recession of the past decade, i'd say this event will go down in story as the event that kicked off the automatization of jobs, work-in-home, online classes and delivery revolution.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/16/20 at 2:43 pm

Imagine thinking 2019 and 2020 are the same LMFAOO

He's literally nothing but a troll.

Written By: xenzue on 03/16/20 at 2:54 pm

I can't believe there's people who still think the coronavirus isn't a big deal and it will be forgoten in 2021.... :-\\

This event will probably change society and economy in a lot of ways, we're likely just starting...just wait until it hits Brasil, India and all those countries full force.... :\'(

This is more big than 9/11 and the great recession of the past decade, i'd say this event will go down in story as the event that kicked off the automatization of jobs, work-in-home, online classes and delivery revolution.

In East Asia, Latin America, and parts of Africa, universal delivery apps are booming, I expect this virus to make it an vital part of the global economy. Think UberEats except you can deliver anything from medicine, pet food, clothes, tools, furniture, and groceries, etc. Idk why these apps aren’t popular in the west.

Written By: xenzue on 03/16/20 at 3:01 pm

🤡🤡🤡

Written By: StrangeShape on 03/16/20 at 3:12 pm

Someone please kick this troll, he's spaming the thread.  :-\\

Written By: Slim95 on 03/16/20 at 3:22 pm

It's the shift I've been trying to tell people about for the last two months.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/16/20 at 3:41 pm

4chan-addicted teenage gamer-level edginess ewwwww

Is there a way to block a user so I can't see their posts and not waste my time/braincells?

He's most likely going to get banned anyway. So I ain't gonna worry about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/16/20 at 5:08 pm

Oh please, broken clock. Etc. etc.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/21/20 at 5:32 am

Actually May get launched back to 2021, cause of this virus! DANG. It's straight up eerie bruh! :o :o :o

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/21/20 at 8:46 am

This virus is a historic event. but people are already really forgetting how sh*tty the mid 2010s were. There is hysteria and people are being encouraged to stay in by the government. In the mid 2010s,  you had hysteria about ISIS murdering people at any given time during big gatherings. People were afraid to go out, but the U.S. government did not encourage "lockdown" mentality because that would mean ISIS had accomplished their goal; which was to scare, terrorize, and disrupt American life.

Obama, had to specifically tell Americans  not to be afraid of going out and enjoying life. Don't allow ISIS to make you live in fear everyday. However, had the U.S. government taken a different route and encouraged Americans to stay in or go on lockdown so that ISIS could no longer kill any innocent Americans, I suspect the hysteria would be on the level it is today.

That's not a comparison of the two events, but a comparison of why Americans people think more hysteria right now than the 2010s.

Plus you had a whole myriad of other issues during the mid 2010s, mass shootings in and outside schools every other month, violence between people every week, or people possibly getting bombed by N. Korea, people are really forgetting how crappy that time was due to a new hysteria talking about they're nostalgic for the 2010s lol.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/21/20 at 9:29 am

This virus is a historic event. but people are alrrady really forgetting how sh*tty the mid 2010s were. There is hysteria and people are encouraged being encouraged to stay in by the government. In the mid 2010s,  you had hysteria about ISIS murdering people at any given time during big gatherings. People were afraid to go out, but the U.S. government did not encourage that mentality because that would mean ISIS had accomplished their goal, which is to scare, terrorize, and disrupt American life. Obama, had to specifically tell Americans to not be afraid to go out and enjoy your life. Don't allow ISIS to make you live in fear everyday. However, had the U.S. government taken a different route and encouraged Americans to stay in or went on lockdown so that ISIS could no longer kill any innocent Americans, I suspect the hysteria would be on the level it is today. That's not a comparison of the two events, but a comparison of why Americans people think more hysteria right now than the 2010s.

Plus you had a whole myriad of other issues during the mid 2010s, mass shootings in and outside schools every other month, violence between people every week, or people possibly getting bombed by N. Korea, people are really forgetting how crappy that time was due to a new hysteria talking about they're nostalgic for the 2010s lol.

Well, the early 2010s was also tumultuous, with events like the Arab Spring, which led to the Syrian Civil War and ISIS, and the Occupy movement, which set off the progressive movements and protests later on in the decade.

But I guess my memories of the early 2010s were clouded by the fact that a bevy of entertainment distracted me from what was going on in the world as a kid.  ;D

The 2010s IN GENERAL were tumultuous, especially with the proliferation of protests.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/21/20 at 9:51 am

Well this kind of shift is nothing to be happy and excited about, or to gloat by saying "I told you so".

Written By: Slim95 on 03/21/20 at 12:24 pm

Well this kind of shift is nothing to be happy and excited about, or to gloat by saying "I told you so".

Yes it is. A shift is happening and I told people that. No one listened.

Written By: wixness on 03/21/20 at 1:07 pm

It feels different from most other decades, period.

The 1950s dealt with the Red Scare, 1980s had to deal with the New Left dying, the 2000s had to deal with 9/11 and pop culture that people prefer to forget, the 2010s dealt with meme culture and social media, all of them you could still have a decent chance of living through them and deaths would not have been intentionally caused by another human.

Had the coronavirus not been a thing though I'd say otherwise - it seems to be like the 2010s and the 1980s but getting worse and worse.

Check for new replies or respond here...