inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Disney promises LGBT 'commitment': 'We want to represent our audience'

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/20 at 5:23 pm

Disney has promised to continue making films and TV shows with "an increased commitment" to diversity in its output, according to its boss Bob Chapek. "We want to represent our audience," he said at a meeting for the company's shareholders this week. "We want to tell stories that our audience wants to hear, that reflects their lives." He was responding to a question about LGBT characters in their films and pride events at theme parks. There will be a transgender character in a future Marvel film, and upcoming superhero movie The Eternals will introduce Marvel's first openly gay lead character to cinema screens. Marvel Studios is owned by Disney.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-51871026

Subject: Re: Disney promises LGBT 'commitment': 'We want to represent our audience'

Written By: Sman12 on 03/13/20 at 5:31 pm

I just hope the LGBTQ+ characters will be defined by their personality traits and not their sexual orientations.

Subject: Re: Disney promises LGBT 'commitment': 'We want to represent our audience'

Written By: xenzue on 03/15/20 at 10:37 pm

I'm not hopeful tbh... Disney has a bad track record with this kind of stuff.....

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/16/20 at 5:19 am

You can expect the productions to be a modern-day minstrel show, in this case emphasizing the gayness (etc) of the various LBGTQAI+ characters.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/16/20 at 1:30 pm

You can expect the productions to be a modern-day minstrel show, in this case emphasizing the gayness (etc) of the various LBGTQAI+ characters.

That's what I'm exactly fearing. But if there are LGBT stereotypes, I think there'll be several people who will speak out against the shows.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/17/20 at 7:37 pm

That's what I'm exactly fearing. But if there are LGBT stereotypes, I think there'll be several people who will speak out against the shows.

I don’t see them speaking out about the other gratuitous “LTBGIQA+” productions.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/17/20 at 8:02 pm

I'm not hopeful tbh... Disney has a bad track record with this kind of stuff.....

Disney has a shameful track record in general. As late as the 70s and even into the 80s, men with long hair were banned from Disney theme parks. BANNED. They try to sweep it under the rug now, but it's true.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/17/20 at 8:18 pm

So is it going to be legit LGBT characters in movies that have nothing to do with being LGBT, they just so happen to be LGBT? Cause that's the type of representation I feel like we need.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/17/20 at 10:16 pm

I just hope the LGBTQ+ characters will be defined by their personality traits and not their sexual orientations.

Amen! You can smell the stink of pandering from a mile away, but truly respectful representation means portraying these characters just as they are: perfectly normal and natural, and defined just as much by strength and flaws as everyone else.

Check for new replies or respond here...