inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will society recover from "social distancing"?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/16/20 at 6:16 pm

When the coronavirus finally runs it's course, whenever that may be, will people feel comfortable being more intimate, and being close to each other in large groups again? Or will there still be a distance kept, consciously or otherwise? As if to think "this could happen again". Is this the tipping point, given that society has been heading into an isolation/cocooning mode for some time now anyway? Think of the typical scenario of two people together, even on a date, who are more engaged with their phones than they are with each other. Face it, we've all seen and complained about that. Even people who do it complain about it, as if they are helpless not to do it. Will social distancing leave it's mark even when the current crisis is over?

Subject: Re: Will society recover from "social distancing"?

Written By: 2001 on 03/16/20 at 6:21 pm

I think life has changed forever. Some things will go back to normal, I'm sure people will still go to restaurants and concerts, but flying over to places for business meetings instead of teleconferencing, going to an office to do a job you can do from home (or at a relaxing coffee shop), or taking a class online instead of having to give up peak working hours, all these things are going to be hard to reverse. Some are for the better, some for the worse.

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/16/20 at 11:30 pm

When the coronavirus finally runs it's course, whenever that may be, will people feel comfortable being more intimate, and being close to each other in large groups again? Or will there still be a distance kept, consciously or otherwise? As if to think "this could happen again". Is this the tipping point, given that society has been heading into an isolation/cocooning mode for some time now anyway? Think of the typical scenario of two people together, even on a date, who are more engaged with their phones than they are with each other. Face it, we've all seen and complained about that. Even people who do it complain about it, as if they are helpless not to do it. Will social distancing leave it's mark even when the current crisis is over?

eh...a lot of people aren't even really taking this crisis seriously. You know how many times I've heard "this is no big deal. Me and mine are healthy! It's all blown out of proportion!"

Oh...and those two people on a date aren't interested in each other.

Written By: Howard on 03/17/20 at 7:34 am

I think once that pandemic is all gone we will go back to "social distancing".

Written By: Mat1991 on 03/17/20 at 11:11 am

Things will return to normal. It's hard enough getting people to practice social distancing even in the midst of a pandemic. People are just hardwired to be social.

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/17/20 at 11:15 am

Some of these teens who stay in their room all day and play on their phone and Xbox are probably saying “I told you so “.  :)

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/17/20 at 11:32 am

Some of these teens who stay in their room all day and play on their phone and Xbox are probably saying “I told you so “.  :)

https://memecrunch.com/meme/7R3OL/yup-thats-me/image.png?w=500&c=1

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/17/20 at 1:20 pm

Things will return to normal. It's hard enough getting people to practice social distancing even in the midst of a pandemic. People are just hardwired to be social.

I agree with that. People won't want to stick to their houses and never get out and do anything again. It's boring if you never go out to dinner, to the movies, for coffee, to an event, etc.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/17/20 at 1:40 pm

Things will mostly be normal, but I'm not so sure about all of the societal results post-coronavirus. How will things change? What will be the new procedures to make sure these pandemics don't happen like this again? ???

Written By: nally on 03/17/20 at 1:45 pm

I think once that pandemic is all gone we will go back to "social distancing".

But we're supposed to be doing it now.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/17/20 at 2:03 pm

Things will return to normal. People will go back to enjoying events in big crowds.

Written By: Howard on 03/17/20 at 2:31 pm

I agree with that. People won't want to stick to their houses and never get out and do anything again. It's boring if you never go out to dinner, to the movies, for coffee, to an event, etc.

I'm not letting a virus stop me from doing the things I love doing.

Written By: Howard on 03/17/20 at 2:32 pm

Things will mostly be normal, but I'm not so sure about all of the societal results post-coronavirus. How will things change? What will be the new procedures to make sure these pandemics don't happen like this again? ???

How about walking around like the bubble boy?

Written By: Sman12 on 03/17/20 at 3:42 pm

How about walking around like the bubble boy?

https://miro.medium.com/max/2880/1*SwkgwDnldK4_eQc_Ah3dBw.jpeg

Lol, yeah, that ain't for me.  ;D

Written By: Ripley on 03/17/20 at 7:47 pm

So many people still go out! People all upset about Disney closing it’s doors. They’re doing it for good reason yet people still went, a lot of people, this past weekend. I’ve seen videos.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/17/20 at 9:25 pm

You guys all realize that unless you're in a "shelter in place" city or state, the quarantine doesn't mean you can't leave your home, right? You can still go for a walk around the neighborhood, you can still drive to the grocery store. It just means you're not going to pop concerts or busy restaurants for a little while, and when you do leave the house you practice social distancing and wash your hands upon your return.

It's really not that hard and does not need to change your life that much (aside from work and school).

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 03/18/20 at 1:36 pm

I think so, although there will be a MASSIVE backlash towards what's happened. Seeing your friends again would be more emotional than ever, but it will ease down in a few days... It's just that people would be more sensitive now with hygiene and maybe some racism could occur, sadly...

Written By: woahjoey on 03/20/20 at 11:21 pm

I've been in a Shelter in Place for a few days here in SF. My boyfriend's bday was yesterday and with social distancing going on, we were able to celebrate with friends via Zoom. But certainly felt a lil dystopian? Would love to give them all hugs again!

Written By: DisneysRetro on 03/21/20 at 3:44 am

I've been in a Shelter in Place for a few days here in SF. My boyfriend's bday was yesterday and with social distancing going on, we were able to celebrate with friends via Zoom. But certainly felt a lil dystopian? Would love to give them all hugs again!

Yeah I’m from SF too. I live in Bernal heights neighborhood. What’s crazy is that people are still out doing their normal routine, although I heard it will get stricter as the days go by (law enforcement,curfew, fines, etc). I work at Starbucks which will be open. Working is the only sense of normalcy I have rn :(.

Written By: Criz on 03/22/20 at 8:35 am

I'm just concerned with people not taking it seriously - I'm a teacher in the UK and we still have to go to work to look after certain kids from tomorrow - even though most students have been told to stay home. We're doing our bit to help by being on a rota and for the other days we will set work from home - which is what I've spent most of my Sunday planning. This is going to forever change the lives of kids because we know how much childhood shapes adulthood.

From this weekend, I will not be leaving the house apart from to go shopping, or to go into work on my designated days - but I keep seeing people on the news flocking to seaside towns, or to rural areas because they don't think it's too serious. It's so selfish. Every teacher I work with could possibly have it but doesn't know yet - we're all a bit under the weather because of the stress, uncertainty and just being completely run down because these are the key weeks before exams. The hours I put in working from 7am until 6pm every eve before the 'school closure' announcement on Thurs to get my GCSE kids through their coursework has made me unwell - plus who knows the germs from being in contact with x30+ different kids x5 lessons per day, plus x20 for form time and them at least coming into close contact with +15 members of staff can do to you!

Ok - I feel this post has taken a turn so I'll zip it now!  :o

Written By: Sman12 on 03/22/20 at 8:48 am

I'm just concerned with people not taking it seriously - I'm a teacher in the UK and we still have to go to work to look after certain kids from tomorrow - even though most students have been told to stay home. We're doing our bit to help by being on a rota and for the other days we will set work from home - which is what I've spent most of my Sunday planning. This is going to forever change the lives of kids because we know how much childhood shapes adulthood.

From this weekend, I will not be leaving the house apart from to go shopping, or to go into work on my designated days - but I keep seeing people on the news flocking to seaside towns, or to rural areas because they don't think it's too serious. It's so selfish. Every teacher I work with could possibly have it but doesn't know yet - we're all a bit under the weather because of the stress, uncertainty and just being completely run down because these are the key weeks before exams. The hours I put in working from 7am until 6pm every eve before the 'school closure' announcement on Thurs to get my GCSE kids through their coursework has made me unwell - plus who knows the germs from being in contact with x30+ different kids x5 lessons per day, plus x20 for form time and them at least coming into close contact with +15 members of staff can do to you!

Ok - I feel this post has taken a turn so I'll zip it now!  :o

Wow. Thank you so much for your service. I hope you get well soon!  :)

Written By: Criz on 03/23/20 at 6:25 am

Wow. Thank you so much for your service. I hope you get well soon!  :)

Thanks - I'm fine though! Just a bit anxious and run down I think... it's all very surreal at the moment. I'm sitting on my bed planning work and emailing students, as my husband is using our only table to take conference calls this morning!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/23/20 at 6:32 am

Thanks - I'm fine though! Just a bit anxious and run down I think... it's all very surreal at the moment. I'm sitting on my bed planning work and emailing students, as my husband is using our only table to take conference calls this morning!
A relative of mine is sharing the dining table with his brother in law as both are working from home.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/23/20 at 11:19 am

Rights and wrongs of Social Distancing form the past:

Wrong:
https://api.time.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/2lb_original.jpg?quality=85&w=838

Right:
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/4b/42/98/4b429875ef9361fe6dbef33e453f1acd.jpg

Written By: karen on 03/23/20 at 12:26 pm

The problem for teachers in the UK (particularly England) has been the speed at which things changed.  At the start of the week teachers were making plans for setting work from home if you had to self isolate and to keep self isolating students engaged and by the end of the week GCSE and A Level exams were cancelled and all the schools shut.  Plus very little information on what is going to happen available from the government.

Back on topic:  I think society will recover from this.  I bet for a while it will be a bit of a joke when someone doesn't want to be too sociable or turns down a night out - "Huh, are you self isolating or what?"

Written By: Sman12 on 03/23/20 at 4:33 pm

The problem for teachers in the UK (particularly England) has been the speed at which things changed.  At the start of the week teachers were making plans for setting work from home if you had to self isolate and to keep self isolating students engaged and by the end of the week GCSE and A Level exams were cancelled and all the schools shut.  Plus very little information on what is going to happen available from the government.

Back on topic:  I think society will recover from this.  I bet for a while it will be a bit of a joke when someone doesn't want to be too sociable or turns down a night out - "Huh, are you self isolating or what?"

I won't be surprised if today's kids say that as a slang term after the pandemic subsides.  ;D

Written By: Criz on 03/24/20 at 5:36 am

Agreed - it all just happened so very quickly. We never thought they would announce school closures and exams in one fell swoop. I was actually with two of my students watching the news at 5pm whilst they were finishing off some Media coursework. We just watched with our mouths wide open - it was insane.

I've actually responded to you on the other thread also! :)

Written By: Howard on 03/24/20 at 7:53 am

It's hard for me to do social distancing when you're a cart attendant since I'm surrounded by people all day.

Written By: karen on 03/24/20 at 2:42 pm

It's hard for me to do social distancing when you're a cart attendant since I'm surrounded by people all day.

You should ask them politely to stay at least six feet away from you.

Consider wearing work gloves as well, rather than touching all those shopping carts with your bare hands.

Written By: Howard on 03/24/20 at 2:54 pm

Consider wearing work gloves as well, rather than touching all those shopping carts with your bare hands.

I do wear gloves to protect me from touching the carts with my bare hands.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/20 at 3:29 pm

...and keep your distance too.

Written By: Howard on 03/25/20 at 4:29 pm

...and keep your distance too.

I'll try.

Check for new replies or respond here...