inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is it me or is the slang word "Xtreme" starting to be used a lot again?

Written By: VHSfan0101 on 03/21/20 at 11:43 am

I remember the slang word "Xtreme" being used a lot in the early-2000s. Given the fact that slang word was strongly associated with gen X and was used a lot in the 1990s, it is no question that the "Xtreme" slang word usage trend in the early-2000s was a holdover from the '90s. Now, in 2020, I am starting to see the slang word "Xtreme" being used a lot again. Are you guys seeing that happening right now in 2020 too?

Subject: Re: Is it me or is the slang word "Xtreme" starting to be used a lot again?

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/21/20 at 11:49 am

I don't know, where have you seen this or heard it?

Subject: Re: Is it me or is the slang word "Xtreme" starting to be used a lot again?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/21/20 at 12:06 pm

Yeah, same here lol.

I haven't seen anybody use "xtreme" anywhere.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/21/20 at 12:08 pm

It's Xtremely rare to head the Xtreme word any more.

Although a buddy of mine has a company whose name starts with Xtreme.  ;D

Written By: Sman12 on 03/21/20 at 12:12 pm

I remember the slang word "Xtreme" being used a lot in the early-2000s. Given the fact that slang word was strongly associated with gen X and was used a lot in the 1990s, it is no question that the "Xtreme" slang word usage trend in the early-2000s was a holdover from the '90s. Now, in 2020, I am starting to see the slang word "Xtreme" being used a lot again. Are you guys seeing that happening right now in 2020 too?

I haven't.

All I hear nowadays is "vibe check", "social distancing", "simp", and "bruh moment".

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/21/20 at 12:36 pm

I don’t know about now but back in the early 2000s I bought a high flow stainless cat for my car and the brand was Xtreme Flow. It lived up to its name and I took it off after I scrapped the car and I still have it.

Written By: kr37 on 03/21/20 at 12:42 pm

I haven't heard it recently, but I do remember it being somewhat more common in the '00s. Maybe it will make a comeback with '00s nostalgia?

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/21/20 at 12:43 pm

I haven't.

All I hear nowadays is "vibe check", "social distancing", "simp", and "bruh moment".

I hear you, bruh.  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/21/20 at 1:02 pm

I did not hear it the first time round.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/21/20 at 1:03 pm

Add "self isolation" to the list.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/21/20 at 4:11 pm

I don’t know about now but back in the early 2000s I bought a high flow stainless cat for my car and the brand was Xtreme Flow. It lived up to its name and I took it off after I scrapped the car and I still have it.

I did not hear it the first time round.

The slang word "xtreme" or "x-treme" was commonly used in the late '90s and early '00s (from approximately 1996-2003 and peaked during '98-'02).

Written By: VHSfan0101 on 03/23/20 at 6:05 pm

I have been seeing the slang word "Xtreme" being used in a lot of online usernames lately. I have also been seeing some businesses in my part of the world (I live in the U.S.) with the slang word "Xtreme" in their name lately. With that being said, maybe that trend hasn't made it to the rest of the world or to other parts of the U.S. yet.

I forgot to say this but back when everyone was using the slang word "Xtreme" during the 1990s and early 2000s, it was also used when it came to Extreme sports (BMX, skateboarding, offroad racing, etc). Given that kids no longer play outside, I would be surprised if extreme sports (BMX, skateboarding, offroad racing) was to become popular again too if the "Xtreme" word usage trend was to make a comeback.

I should note that out of all the trends that happened during my time on this Earth, the "Xtreme" trend is my favorite one. Great music and videogames came from it. Some of the videogames that were the product of it were the Tony Hawk skateboarding videogames, the Motocross Mania videogames, and the SSX videogames. I think the music genre Nu-Metal was a product of it. I actually tried learning how to skateboard back then and I did not like it. It was the scariest experience in my life. I almost broke my neck. Ever since then, I never stepped foot on a skateboard. Hahahahaha!

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/23/20 at 7:39 pm

I haven't noticed it tbh.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/23/20 at 9:51 pm

I haven't noticed it tbh.

Neither have I. Must not be to…the extreme:

https://12perfecttracks-files-wordpress-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/12perfecttracks.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/to-the-extreme-55829e1009000.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...