inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Betas?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/26/20 at 7:55 pm

What’s the name of the generation after Alpha? Is it Beta? Does anyone know?

Subject: Re: Betas?

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/27/20 at 1:52 am

Why worry about something that doesn't exist yet?

Written By: 2001 on 03/27/20 at 2:01 am

Generation Corona. Named after the baby boom that resulted after years of quarantine and self isolation. ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/20 at 2:28 am

Too true?

Generation Corona. Named after the baby boom that resulted after years of quarantine and self isolation. ;D
If need be, spot on!

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/27/20 at 7:26 am

It’s about to exist, if it doesn’t already.

Written By: Dundee on 03/27/20 at 8:40 am

Beta is a dumb name and would imply that the generation is an unfinished precursor to another one.

Imo generations should get a proper name that characterizes them rather than be forced to be named after a tenuously shoehorned order.
So yeah we still haven't a proper name for Generation Z, let alone a generation that still doesn't exist or barely exists like this one.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/27/20 at 8:53 am

Beta is a dumb name and would imply that the generation is an unfinished precursor to another one.

Imo generations should get a proper name that characterizes them rather than be forced to be named after a tenuously shoehorned order.
So yeah we still haven't a proper name for Generation Z, let alone a generation that still doesn't exist or barely exists like this one.

We already do have a proper name. It’s called zoomer.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/27/20 at 9:05 am

Agree!!  This habit of alphabetically naming generations that came after Generation X is absolutely lazy. Generation X was called that for a reason, not because somebody liked the letter "X".  The Boomers weren't "Generation W".  Generation X was called that because of the "unknown factor".  They came of age, they started being noticed as a "generation" in the 80s in the still long and considerable shadow of the Boomers. They were the "unknown generation". It was absolutely lazy (and a misunderstanding of the name) for some dufus to start calling the next generation "Generation Y", as if that had some meaning. It was a placeholder at best and was supplanted by the more accurate Millennial. Yet the foolishness continued with the still unnamed "Generation Z". Some people like "Zoomers" but that's too babyish for words and won't stick. And "Alpha" is just compounding the mistake and needs to be nipped in the bud. Either that or we just legitimately start numbering or lettering generations if people insist on using this alphabetical method, which, as I pointed out, was based on a mistake in the first place.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/27/20 at 9:12 am

We already do have a proper name. It’s called zoomer.

So, Zoomers come after Alphas?  ???

Written By: Sman12 on 03/27/20 at 9:45 am

What’s the name of the generation after Alpha? Is it Beta? Does anyone know?

Who knows? I think both "Alpha" and "Beta" terms are really dumb, especially for boys that are probably gonna be called "Alpha and beta males".

The only generational terms that I like are Greatest Generation (WWII), Silent, X, Baby Boomers and Millennials. "Zoomer" ain't bad, though.

I think it's a great term. I'm gonna call them Gen C for short.  ;D

Written By: mc98 on 03/27/20 at 9:47 am

Beta is a stupid name for a generation that doesn't even exist yet.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/27/20 at 10:09 am

Beta is a stupid name for a generation that doesn't even exist yet.

They will exist before the 2020s are over.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/27/20 at 11:32 am

They will exist before the 2020s are over.

Yeah, but "Beta" though? I think generations need to be defined by a major event in history they were born in or after.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/27/20 at 12:43 pm

Yeah, but "Beta" though? I think generations need to be defined by a major event in history they were born in or after.

That’s not how it works. The 2020s will be the childhood years for Generation Beta.

Written By: 2001 on 03/27/20 at 9:28 pm

Beta is very offensive. I don't want to sound too politically correct but I call them Electrons or Positrons.

Karma to anyone who gets the joke @nally

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/27/20 at 9:54 pm

In all seriousness, the 2020s will be the childhood years for the Betas.

Written By: whistledog on 03/27/20 at 10:46 pm

It's not Beta, its VHS

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/20 at 10:19 am

It's not Beta, its VHS
...to follow, CD, then DVD?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/28/20 at 10:28 am

It's not Beta, its VHS

Beta never really took off as a format. I think I only ever knew one person in the 80s who had a betamax player. Everybody went right to VHS when home video took off.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/28/20 at 10:31 am

Beta never really took off as a format. I think I only ever knew one person in the 80s who had a betamax player. Everybody went right to VHS when home video took off.

We had Beta and were very happy with it.  The problem came in when it became harder and harder to get videos and blanks.  Then we were more or less "forced" to go VHS  :-\\

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/28/20 at 11:07 am

We had Beta and were very happy with it.  The problem came in when it became harder and harder to get videos and blanks.  Then we were more or less "forced" to go VHS  :-\\

Doing a little research I see a parallel between Beta/VHS and Myspace/Facebook in a way, the way one suddenly and overwhelmingly rendered the other obsolete.

Here's some interesting info from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videotape_format_war

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/20 at 11:08 am

We had Betamax, and on them we have lots of family recordings.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/28/20 at 11:35 am

So, will Generation Beta be born to Gen Zer parents?

Written By: Sman12 on 03/28/20 at 11:55 am

So, will Generation Beta be born to Gen Zer parents?

Probably, but it's still too early to tell.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/28/20 at 12:58 pm

Another format, concurrent with Beta that REALLY never took off were laserdiscs.  They were the size of albums and came in big, thick plastic things the size of giant film cans. Very unwieldy.

Written By: karen on 03/28/20 at 1:03 pm

Another format, concurrent with Beta that REALLY never took off were laserdiscs.  They were the size of albums and came in big, thick plastic things the size of giant film cans. Very unwieldy.

I worked in a university teaching laboratory from the mid-80s to the late 90s. I remember at some point having to set up a laser disc player and be responsible for all the discs we had. We bought a set of about 20 discs featuring various lectures and demonstrations for use with our foundation course. Fairly sure this was in the nineties, whereas I think of the Betamax versus VHS as an eighties thing.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/28/20 at 1:10 pm

I worked in a university teaching laboratory from the mid-80s to the late 90s. I remember at some point having to set up a laser disc player and be responsible for all the discs we had. We bought a set of about 20 discs featuring various lectures and demonstrations for use with our foundation course. Fairly sure this was in the nineties, whereas I think of the Betamax versus VHS as an eighties thing.

Were they big? The ones I saw were definitely in the 80s and they were big clunky things. The packaging anyway. Like a combination film can and flatted out laundry detergent bottle. The discs themselves looked like LP size thick CDs. I can't remember what the device that played these monstrosities looked like. Maybe the technology got better later.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/20 at 1:14 pm

Do I remember a laserdisc player being on the large size to accommodate the size of the disc?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/28/20 at 1:32 pm

Probably, but it's still too early to tell.

When do you predict Betas will be born?

Written By: Sman12 on 03/28/20 at 1:41 pm

When do you predict Betas will be born?

I honestly have no idea.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/28/20 at 5:33 pm

I honestly have no idea.

Did any famous Gen Zers have children last year?

Written By: muppethammer26 on 03/28/20 at 7:27 pm

I honestly have no idea.

Maybe in the late 2020s or early 2030s?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/28/20 at 7:43 pm

Maybe in the late 2020s or early 2030s?

I heard 2025 somewhere online.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/28/20 at 10:26 pm

Were they big? The ones I saw were definitely in the 80s and they were big clunky things. The packaging anyway. Like a combination film can and flatted out laundry detergent bottle. The discs themselves looked like LP size thick CDs. I can't remember what the device that played these monstrosities looked like. Maybe the technology got better later.

I remember those 80's laser discs.  You're right, the size of the discs was close to the size of LPs.  One thing that struck me about it was, the picture was gorgeous.  But sometimes the disc had to be flipped midway through the movie.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/28/20 at 10:53 pm

I remember those 80's laser discs.  You're right, the size of the discs was close to the size of LPs.  One thing that struck me about it was, the picture was gorgeous.  But sometimes the disc had to be flipped midway through the movie.

One of the first laser disc I remember seeing in the store, I think it was Bradlees (remember Bradlees?) aside from some cheesy b-movie action films was "Bob Welch & Friends Live at the Roxy" filmed in 1981 and featuring Stevie Nicks, Christine McVie, Mick Fleetwood and Ann Wilson of Heart. Sometime later MTV or VH-1 aired an edited version of it as well. The disc caught my eye because I always liked Bob Welch and his era of Fleetwood Mac. I don't remember how much it cost but I'm sure it was pricey.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/28/20 at 10:55 pm

What kind of children’s shows, toys, movies, books, and games do you think Betas will grow up with?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/20 at 3:23 am

What kind of children’s shows, toys, movies, books, and games do you think Betas will grow up with?
With the current situation the world is suffering from, television and film production has been halted, so at the moment, we may never know.

Written By: 2001 on 03/29/20 at 9:14 pm

https://www.psychics4today.com/how-to-use-crystal-ball/

https://www.psychics4today.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/using-a-crystal-ball-281x300.jpg

Here’s How To Use A Crystal Ball

Place the crystal ball on a table in front of you.
    Sit down and relax, focusing on your breathing.
    For 2 minutes, place your hands on the crystal ball and focus your energy on it.
    Visualize your question for the psychic ball or say it out loud.
    Now take your hands off the crystal.
    Take a good look at the ball, allowing your eyes to relax and become unfocused.
    Once you see the smoke forming inside of the crystal, give it enough time until you see an image starting to form.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/30/20 at 6:07 am

Who cares?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/30/20 at 8:38 am

Who cares?

It will be one way to define the 2020s in the future, so I care.

Written By: mc98 on 03/30/20 at 10:14 am

They are not even born yet lol.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/30/20 at 11:32 am

One of the first laser disc I remember seeing in the store, I think it was Bradlees (remember Bradlees?) aside from some cheesy b-movie action films was "Bob Welch & Friends Live at the Roxy" filmed in 1981 and featuring Stevie Nicks, Christine McVie, Mick Fleetwood and Ann Wilson of Heart. Sometime later MTV or VH-1 aired an edited version of it as well. The disc caught my eye because I always liked Bob Welch and his era of Fleetwood Mac. I don't remember how much it cost but I'm sure it was pricey.

It will be one way to define the 2020s in the future, so I care.

This thread has gotten so derailed.  ;D

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/30/20 at 1:05 pm

They are not even born yet lol.

Still, their childhood will be one thing we know the 2020s for in the future.

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/30/20 at 2:03 pm

Agreed. It's laziness and it's stupid. Children growing up in this current decade will have unique experiences while coming of age that shape the way they see the world and so on. I mean if people keep going with the current naming trend and it gets all the way back to X the second time, what will they call people? X2? Y2? Z2? Idiocy I tell you.

Written By: karen on 03/30/20 at 3:01 pm

This thread has gotten so derailed.  ;D

And that’s what’s so good about these boards

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/30/20 at 5:21 pm

And that’s what’s so good about these boards

Not for the OP. I’m locking it.

Check for new replies or respond here...