inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mid-Late '90s Borns; Have you already tuned out from contemporary pop culture?

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 04/11/20 at 12:22 am

For anyone on this board born about 1994-1999, do you still pay attention or show interest towards what music and trends are currently popular, or are you like me and no longer pay attention to any of that? If you're the latter, is it because you've already been out of high school for so long? Were you ever interested in contemporary pop culture to begin with?

While I myself am aware of the existence of things like "mumble rap", "trap rap", and Billie Eilish, I honestly haven't paid attention to contemporary pop culture since I graduated high school in 2016, which is approaching 4 years ago. Granted, I've never been a fan of popular music since I was about 11, but I was still heavily exposed to the music and fashion trends of the early-mid 2010s, due to both being in school, as well as being more social and having more friends that did listen to mainstream music. Not only that, but I'm already getting nostalgic for some popular music from the mid 2010s, particularly for Echosmith songs such as "Bright" and "Let's Love" because those songs remind me of Junior and Senior year respectively so much.
However, since graduating, and since my social life has taken a beating, I've honestly stopped caring about contemporary pop culture altogether, and I've been pretty much listening to music exclusively from the '60s-'00s, plus a few metal songs from the '10s such as those from Five Finger Death Punch and Alestorm.
Granted, pop culture is not the same now as it was in the 2015-16 school year, as back then, the pop culture I would argue would've still been pretty Millennial (albeit cuspy), while today it's solidly Z, but the point still stands regardless.

What do you think of this? Have you also tuned out from contemporary pop culture, and for how long?
Let me know in the comments below.

Subject: Re: Mid-Late '90s Borns; Have you already tuned out from contemporary pop culture?

Written By: Slim95 on 04/11/20 at 3:53 am

Nope. Besides turning on the radio when I drive occasionally I'm completely tuned out from contemporary pop culture. Apperently Tik Tok is the latest thing? That's not my thing... To me it sounds exactly the same as Snap Chat or Musicly or whatever other dumb apps they have. I don't have any interest in it.

Subject: Re: Mid-Late '90s Borns; Have you already tuned out from contemporary pop culture?

Written By: Dundee on 04/11/20 at 4:47 am

Once you're out of high school it's a bit harder to stay in-touch with current pop culture. At least it's less of a demanded/mandatory thing.

I still very much pay attention to what's going around, even if it's in an observatory way instead of an active one, e.g. I don't use Snapchat (Whatsapp suffices me more than enough thank you very much) or TikTok (I know some of its current trends through the intermediary of YouTube channels). On the other hand, I still follow what's going around in the charts. There're still some gems to be found and I like to associate certain years with certain hits. It just gives more perspective on passing time. Plus you will never relive times that are gone, so might as well enjoy what the present offers you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/11/20 at 5:30 am

It's really only chart music that I feel as though i'm no longer actively engaging with. I still look at the Top-40 charts each week being the music nerd that I am, but if i'm being perfectly honest, I feel as though the music on the charts hasn't actually been targeted towards people my age for at least a couple of years. That's part of the reason as to why I don't have the same sort of connection with chart music as I did when I was in high school. The more time goes on, the more 2013-2016 is really beginning to feel as though it was "my era" in pop culture so to speak.

Written By: 97er on 04/11/20 at 6:07 pm

I love feeling young and trendy so I still pay attention to the latest trends tbh.

Written By: shrinkingviolet on 04/11/20 at 8:48 pm

I haven't paid much attention since 2015.

Written By: 2001 on 04/11/20 at 9:02 pm

For anyone on this board born about 1994-1999, do you still pay attention or show interest towards what music and trends are currently popular, or are you like me and no longer pay attention to any of that? If you're the latter, is it because you've already been out of high school for so long? Were you ever interested in contemporary pop culture to begin with?

While I myself am aware of the existence of things like "mumble rap", "trap rap", and Billie Eilish, I honestly haven't paid attention to contemporary pop culture since I graduated high school in 2016, which is approaching 4 years ago. Granted, I've never been a fan of popular music since I was about 11, but I was still heavily exposed to the music and fashion trends of the early-mid 2010s, due to both being in school, as well as being more social and having more friends that did listen to mainstream music. Not only that, but I'm already getting nostalgic for some popular music from the mid 2010s, particularly for Echosmith songs such as "Bright" and "Let's Love" because those songs remind me of Junior and Senior year respectively so much.
However, since graduating, and since my social life has taken a beating, I've honestly stopped caring about contemporary pop culture altogether, and I've been pretty much listening to music exclusively from the '60s-'00s, plus a few metal songs from the '10s such as those from Five Finger Death Punch and Alestorm.
Granted, pop culture is not the same now as it was in the 2015-16 school year, as back then, the pop culture I would argue would've still been pretty Millennial (albeit cuspy), while today it's solidly Z, but the point still stands regardless.

What do you think of this? Have you also tuned out from contemporary pop culture, and for how long?
Let me know in the comments below.

ok boomer

You were practically begging for it...

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/11/20 at 9:10 pm

ok boomer

Tbh, i'm surprised rainbow hasn't posted something like that, lol.

Written By: VHSfan0101 on 04/11/20 at 9:22 pm

I was born in '96. When it comes to music, I want rock music to make a comeback this decade. I remember when I first noticed it being dead six years ago. I remember hearing Hipster music everywhere six years ago and asking myself where are the new rock songs. By the way, my favorite rock genres are pop punk, alternative rock, Nu-metal, and grunge. I am getting tired of hearing Hipster music everywhere. As a member of the YZ cusp generation, I am a member of the final generation to listen to new rock music (The last time new rock songs were released was in 2009.). I wonder if there are other people out there who are tired of hearing Hipster music?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/12/20 at 1:42 am

ehh…. not really not truly since the mid 2010s have I been invested in the mainstream culture that much, ESPECIALLY during the late 2010s when I was getting my bachelors and also grew in my Christian faith. It was just a transitional time in life. Probably THE biggest transitional time in my life EVER, long term wise...

Written By: duenas8 on 04/12/20 at 4:43 pm

I always try to pay attention in the latest trends, I think we’re living in a great time for Series/Movies and video games. The problem is when it comes to music, in the last Top 50 chart from Spotify or Shazam, only 2 or 3 songs I find acceptable  8-P Although the lo-fi and vaporwave scene is amazing

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 04/12/20 at 7:08 pm

ok boomer

http://www.inthe00s.com/avatars_custom/avatar_20545_1586315133.png

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/20 at 7:32 pm

Once you're out of high school it's a bit harder to stay in-touch with current pop culture. At least it's less of a demanded/mandatory thing.

I still very much pay attention to what's going around, even if it's in an observatory way instead of an active one, e.g. I don't use Snapchat (Whatsapp suffices me more than enough thank you very much) or TikTok (I know some of its current trends through the intermediary of YouTube channels). On the other hand, I still follow what's going around in the charts. There're still some gems to be found and I like to associate certain years with certain hits. It just gives more perspective on passing time. Plus you will never relive times that are gone, so might as well enjoy what the present offers you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's really only chart music that I feel as though i'm no longer actively engaging with. I still look at the Top-40 charts each week being the music nerd that I am, but if i'm being perfectly honest, I feel as though the music on the charts hasn't actually been targeted towards people my age for at least a couple of years. That's part of the reason as to why I don't have the same sort of connection with chart music as I did when I was in high school. The more time goes on, the more 2013-2016 is really beginning to feel as though it was "my era" in pop culture so to speak.

You guys summed up my feelings on this. I was born in '99.

I feel completely out of touch with "Tik Tok" and all of that stuff. The only reason why I know about Tik Tok is because of Twitter. Most of the people on Tik Tok were born after 2002 which is weird to me. I don't want to watch a bunch of underage cringey white girls make weird videos 8-P.

I didn't use Vine much but Vine was much better than Tik Tok. Also, I feel that people in my age range were the main demographic of Vine.

Anyways, yeah, I'm still marginally connected to what's going on social media wise but not as much as back in 2013-2017.

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/12/20 at 8:12 pm

I think you guys would be surprised at how many late 90's babies use TikTok. It's only getting more popular, and more older users are starting to join (Hell, I did a TikTok today with my late 1996 born sister and my 1969 born dad LOL).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/20 at 8:41 pm

I think you guys would be surprised at how many late 90's babies use TikTok. It's only getting more popular, and more older users are starting to join (Hell, I did a TikTok today with my late 1996 born sister and my 1969 born dad LOL).

I mean yeah of course there are. However, Tik Tok is primarily for those born 2002-2006.

That's the main demographic of Tik Tok.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 04/13/20 at 12:28 am

Haven't paid any attention to mainstream culture since 2013, at the latest.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/13/20 at 2:03 am

I've said this before, but I believe the main/average age range for contemporary or mainstream pop culture is 11-25 or 14-22, with 18 being the peak. This is what I've noticed from most ppl in my personal life and on the web too. The closer to 18, you're more than likely deep into the contemporary/mainstream pop culture, but the further away from 18, the less & less you are into pop culture. Personally I still keep up with some mainstream music and some crazy trends that go on around news & social media, but not as much as I did during my high school and earlier college years, like I'm not as "hardcore" into it as I used to be. I was most serious about mainstream music when I was about 11-21 TBH (2007-2017), and when Twitter blew up around 2011/2012, I was heavy deep into it for awhile, and when IG and Vine era first got big, I was heavy into those as well. Twitter is never going to go away so I can't really keep myself distance from that. Vine is dead now and when it comes to IG, not as much as I used to. YouTube is completely dead to me. I create my own content on YouTube now instead of following the big YouTube stars.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/13/20 at 7:30 am

I'm not a mid-late 90s born, but I've already tuned out on things like TikTok and e-culture (name for e-boys and e-girls) ever since they were popular. I hate mumble rap, I like trap music, and Billie Eilish's music is pretty good (albeit overhyped).

I use Snapchat sometimes just to check out how my friends that graduated are doing, and I often use Twitter for latest pop culture news and trends.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/14/20 at 1:42 am

I was never "with it" that much. Even during the Electropop Era when stuff like Yoloswag, Kesha, and Harlem Shake was popular I was ambivalent towards that stuff. So me being "out of it" with Fortnite, mumble rap/trap, and TikTok isn't a new development for me.

Written By: 2001 on 04/14/20 at 1:46 am

I was never "with it" that much. Even during the Electropop Era when stuff like Yoloswag, Kesha, and Harlem Shake was popular I was ambivalent towards that stuff. So me being "out of it" with Fortnite, mumble rap/trap, and TikTok isn't a new development for me.

You should join me and play Fortnite and trash Minecraft to trigger the Zoomers.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/388/471/015.png

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/14/20 at 1:52 am

You should join me and play Fortnite and trash Minecraft to trigger the Zoomers.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/388/471/015.png

Yeah, on Reddit and those other sites, 18 year old Zoomers really get upset about Fortnite and pit it against Minecraft (even though they're different genres).

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/14/20 at 2:18 pm

I would say since the mid 2010s or so. I still keep up with the charts, but I'm not as familiar with certain artists as I used to. I listen to a lot of jazz (1920s-1960s), old-school R&B, 90s/early 00s rap, and electronic music now. I'm also still a casual fan of Vaporwave/Future Funk and experimental electronic and alternative music, but that's really about it.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/14/20 at 2:24 pm

I've said this before, but I believe the main/average age range for contemporary or mainstream pop culture is 11-25 or 14-22, with 18 being the peak. This is what I've noticed from most ppl in my personal life and on the web too. The closer to 18, you're more than likely deep into the contemporary/mainstream pop culture, but the further away from 18, the less & less you are into pop culture. Personally I still keep up with some mainstream music and some crazy trends that go on around news & social media, but not as much as I did during my high school and earlier college years, like I'm not as "hardcore" into it as I used to be. I was most serious about mainstream music when I was about 11-21 TBH (2007-2017), and when Twitter blew up around 2011/2012, I was heavy deep into it for awhile, and when IG and Vine era first got big, I was heavy into those as well. Twitter is never going to go away so I can't really keep myself distance from that. Vine is dead now and when it comes to IG, not as much as I used to. YouTube is completely dead to me. I create my own content on YouTube now instead of following the big YouTube stars.

I would say the 'youth' theory, as I like to call it, is from ages 9-24. So technically, we literally exited our youth periods a month or two ago. Once we turned 24, aka entering our mid 20s, we essentially exited our core 'coming of age' years as we are now solidly within adulthood. It surely doesn't feel it though ;D.

Our core years were from roughly 2009-2016, peaking around Late 2012/Early 2013 (during the Dubstep, 'Electropop', Facebook, early Instagram, early Hipster era).

Written By: woahjoey on 04/16/20 at 2:05 am

The closer to 18, you're more than likely deep into the contemporary/mainstream pop culture, but the further away from 18, the less & less you are into pop culture.

'94 born here and I agree. In 2010 when I was 16, Lady Gaga, Kesha, Rihanna, and Katy Perry released their biggest albums and as a gay boy who was still kinda in the closet, I look back at that time as super fun and formative. I learned that I loved club music and the fun pop culture that was erupting.

Turned 18 in 2012 and was all about the pop culture in those days. I went to my first show / concert in 2012 shortly after graduating high school and then saw that same artist (Marina) twice again when I moved up to SF. From 2012 - 2016 I went to soo many shows / concerts because I was more in tune with pop culture back then in my late teens & early twenties.

Of course today I am still following some of my favorite artists and their upcoming projects (prayers for Chromatica!) but not to the extent of early to mid 2010s.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 04/19/20 at 5:45 am

Unfortunately yes, it’s not that I want to it’s just I outgrew it. With that being said, I enjoy underground r&b a lot these days. Brent Faiyaz is amazing. I started listening to him in 2016 when his group sonder released a very underground album on spotify. For the most part I listen to anything from 1999-2005 and feel a magical sense of nostalgia. During these times I have been very nostalgic for that time period.

Written By: karen on 04/19/20 at 5:56 am

I don’t know that either of my kids particularly pay much attention to popular culture. My son was talking about Vine the other day, but I know he doesn’t follow/watch Tik Tok particularly.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/19/20 at 8:18 am

I don’t know that either of my kids particularly pay much attention to popular culture. My son was talking about Vine the other day, but I know he doesn’t follow/watch Tik Tok particularly.

Vine? It's been dead for three years now. But hey, at least he doesn't follow TikTok like I do.  ;D

Written By: Lizardmatum on 04/19/20 at 12:59 pm

I was born in 95, and at 24 years old I feel as though I'm really falling out of the loop when it comes to pop culture.
It actually depresses me slightly because it makes me realise that I'm not a youth anymore. However I do try to listen to new pop songs specific to the year that i'm living in.
I'm just not as up to date and as on top of it as I used to be in around 2011/2012 when I was 15/16.  Which I feel was the peak of my interest in the pop culture going on at the time.

Written By: Shemp97 on 04/19/20 at 9:35 pm

Tuned out of television since 2012. Have kept the radio off since 2014, except for when someone else is in the car.

Still neck deep in the latest video games, tho. Primarily indie titles.

Check for new replies or respond here...