inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Social Distancing until 2022?

Written By: exodus08 on 04/14/20 at 6:56 pm

This may be the new normal for quite a while.

The US may have to endure social distancing measures -- such as stay-at-home orders and school closures -- until 2022, researchers projected on Tuesday. That is, unless, a vaccine becomes quickly available.
That's according to researchers from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, who published their findings in the journal Science on Tuesday. Those findings directly contradict research being touted by the White House that suggests the pandemic may stop this summer. The team at the Harvard School of Public Health used what's known about Covid-19 and other coronaviruses to create possible scenarios of the current pandemic. "Intermittent distancing may be required into 2022 unless critical care capacity is increased substantially or a treatment or vaccine becomes available," they wrote in their report.
"Even in the event of apparent elimination, SARS-CoV-2 surveillance should be maintained since a resurgence in contagion could be possible as late as 2024." Another important factor: Whether people become immune to the new coronavirus after they have been infected. That's not yet known.
Potential challenges include finding a reliable test to determine who has antibodies for the coronavirus, establishing the level of immunity conferred by previous infection and how long it lasts, and the capacity of overstretched health systems to carry out reliable, widespread antibody tests in the general population. There's also the difficult social questions around immunity certificates, which have been floated as a possibility in the UK. Would they create a kind of two-tier society, where those who have them can return to a more normal life, while others remain locked down?
The study researchers say they are aware that such prolonged distancing, even if intermittent, would likely have "profoundly negative economic, social, and educational consequences." They hope their research will help identify likely trajectories of the epidemic under alternative approaches, identify complementary ways to fight it, and to spur further thinking about ways to get the pandemic under control. Though coronavirus cases in the US have been soaring, social distancing appears to be effective. Social distancing is "one of the most powerful weapons" against COVID-19, said Robert Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
"If we can just maximize that social distancing, we can limit this virus's ability," he said earlier this month. States across the country have issued stay-at-home orders, allowing only for essential errands or tasks. Penalties for breaking the order vary by state. In Maine, the penalty for breaking the order can be up to six months in jail and up to a $1,000 fine. In Florida, a pastor was arrested last month for continuing to hold large services and is charged with unlawful assembly and violation of public health emergency rules, both second-degree misdemeanors. This week, states on the East and West coasts announced they are forming their own regional pacts to work together on how to reopen after the stay-at-home orders.

Subject: Re: Social Distancing until 2022?

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/14/20 at 7:45 pm

Yeah, that's not gonna happen no matter how bad it gets.  ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/14/20 at 8:27 pm

Social distancing as a mandate will eventually be lifted, but social distancing as force of habit or because people will be skittish after all this will remain as the new normal. Call it "the overlay of social distancing" if you will. It will hang over us like a spectre at the very least until a vaccine is developed. Handshakes are toast, but that should have gone a long time ago anyway. Masks will continue to be worn. Oh, you will have your people that can't wait to rush back into social activities, sporting events, etc, chanting the empty slogan "Dallas Strong" or "Miami Strong" or insert city of your choice. But you know the old saying "fools rush in where angels fear to tread". The fear of this is going to be with people for some time.

Written By: MSP10julia on 04/14/20 at 9:13 pm

Two Years of Social Distancing?  :o This is going to be very difficult unless we need a special cure so we can go freely again or drink a lot of vitamin c for our bodies.

Written By: 2001 on 04/15/20 at 1:06 am

Yeah, that's not gonna happen no matter how bad it gets.  ;D

I have a nagging feeling the second wave of this pandemic that will start around October will be worse than this one. I hope I'm wrong though.

I hope social distancing won't be necessary though. If people washed their damn hands (with SOAP not a 2 second splash of water) that would go a long way in stopping this virus.  ::)

Written By: Dundee on 04/15/20 at 4:29 am

Uhm, once a vaccin is available social distancing won't be needed you know.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/15/20 at 4:59 am

I have a nagging feeling the second wave of this pandemic that will start around October will be worse than this one. I hope I'm wrong though.

I hope social distancing won't be necessary though. If people washed their damn hands (with SOAP not a 2 second splash of water) that would go a long way in stopping this virus.  ::)
There is now a second wave of a coronavirus in Japan, and what makes it worse, it is of a different strain, so if there were vaccines a second one would be need for the second wave.

After a few years, social distancing will be second nature for us.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/15/20 at 5:38 am

Uhm, once a vaccin is available social distancing won't be needed you know.

True, it'll be available by 2021.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/15/20 at 5:46 am

True, it'll be available by 2021.
Sooner, we all hope!

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/15/20 at 5:53 am

There is now a second wave of a coronavirus in Japan, and what makes it worse, it is of a different strain, so if there were vaccines a second one would be need for the second wave.

After a few years, social distancing will be second nature for us.

The current strain is more similar to the one that hit the US and Italy. They never really practiced social distancing until recently or did a lot of testing. They also still allowed travel from the US (and probably Europe too and even China) until recently. It's still lower than even several of the US states alone. Its not so much a first and second wave but rather what started as a slow climb the first few months and then started climbing faster.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/15/20 at 7:26 am

Yikes, 2022? If that's the case, then I hope that heroic scientists find a functional vaccine ASAP.

While I may be an introvert (and enjoy the long breaks  ;D), I also want to get another job and go to college to jumpstart my career.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/15/20 at 7:57 am

Yikes, 2022? If that's the case, then I hope that heroic scientists find a functional vaccine ASAP.

While I may be an introvert (and enjoy the long breaks  ;D), I also want to get another job and go to college to jumpstart my career.
Study to become a bacterial scientist?

Written By: 2001 on 04/15/20 at 8:33 am

Hopefully a bioengineer. If this episode taught us anything it's that vaccine development is a slow, careful process. We need nanotechnology germ zapping robots or something.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/15/20 at 9:14 am

Lol, no. I want to become a graphic designer. Sorry.

Written By: karen on 04/15/20 at 9:32 am

While I think we may have to carry out some of these measures for a while yet I think it is not helpful to speculate over how long social distancing etc will last. Most people can deal with the lockdown measures in place by thinking it will be over in a month or so, while keeping in the back fo their mind that it might last for longer. Thinking that life will carryon like this for several years will be too depressing a thought for many.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/15/20 at 9:39 am

While I think we may have to carry out some of these measures for a while yet I think it is not helpful to speculate over how long social distancing etc will last. Most people can deal with the lockdown measures in place by thinking it will be over in a month or so, while keeping in the back fo their mind that it might last for longer. Thinking that life will carryon like this for several years will be too depressing a thought for many.

Well, I'm sorry to burst their bubbles, but if the virus continues to spread rapidly without any proper treatment or vaccine, then we need to keep social distancing measures intact. So I think the May 1 deadline to "reopen" the US economy could probably be extended.

Written By: karen on 04/15/20 at 11:44 am

Well, I'm sorry to burst their bubbles, but if the virus continues to spread rapidly without any proper treatment or vaccine, then we need to keep social distancing measures intact. So I think the May 1 deadline to "reopen" the US economy could probably be extended.

There has been at least two suicides in the U.K. already, because people couldn’t face the thought of this situation carrying on. I can see that there would be more if it was announced that his is going to carry on for the next two years. Particularly among the young.

I have a son who has been told his final school exams are cancelled. He needs certain grades from these to go to university. The school and exam boards have told him how he will be graded,  but the university hasn’t said it will definitely accept this.

My daughter is at university and was deciding between looking for her first job or possibly staying on to do a masters.

Both of them understand why we are in this situation, but struggle with the sense of limbo they feel. My son in particular finds it hard to stay motivated with his studies.

Written By: piecesof93 on 04/15/20 at 12:03 pm

It says social distancing in intervals until 2022, because they realize no one is going to comply with continuous social distancing. Even then, I doubt people are going to be okay with intermittent social distancing for 2 years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/15/20 at 12:23 pm

I have been thinking, with the social distancing, and only being with only members of your household, could there a baby boom in nine months time?

Written By: Sman12 on 04/15/20 at 12:25 pm

There has been at least two suicides in the U.K. already, because people couldn’t face the thought of this situation carrying on. I can see that there would be more if it was announced that his is going to carry on for the next two years. Particularly among the young.

I have a son who has been told his final school exams are cancelled. He needs certain grades from these to go to university. The school and exam boards have told him how he will be graded,  but the university hasn’t said it will definitely accept this.

My daughter is at university and was deciding between looking for her first job or possibly staying on to do a masters.

Both of them understand why we are in this situation, but struggle with the sense of limbo they feel. My son in particular finds it hard to stay motivated with his studies.

That's awful news. This pandemic will unfortunately have a lasting effect on education here in the US and the UK since most kids are at home until...I don't even know considering the new study being released.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/15/20 at 1:00 pm

Hearing details of this on the radio can be understood well, but when it is closer it is harder, hope there is a light at the end of tunnel, for your daughter and son.

Effects of people not coping has not been reported that well on, at least my radio station, in the media, or is it another cover-up from the stats office and government.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/15/20 at 5:54 pm

We're going to have "measured" social distancing until a vaccine is not only created but WIDELY available (which is 1-2 years away from now),

Also, Americans and other Westerners are going to have to get used to wearing masks and other facial coverings in public (like how it is in East & Southeast Asia).

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/20 at 6:18 am

https://scontent-lhr8-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/92655033_10216962738196903_5205281611477680128_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=_qO68SYh5QcAX-cHD4u&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=698d6e6e28a86bbecc70d3e51c3a8b1e&oe=5EBEC055

Written By: Sman12 on 04/16/20 at 7:00 am

We're going to have "measured" social distancing until a vaccine is not only created but WIDELY available (which is 1-2 years away from now),

Also, Americans and other Westerners are going to have to get used to wearing masks and other facial coverings in public (like how it is in East & Southeast Asia).

This is unfortunately gonna be the norm for now. I knew this would radically change culture in some way, and now here we are.

Written By: Howard on 04/16/20 at 8:12 am

You mean there will be another pandemic?

Written By: Howard on 04/16/20 at 8:13 am

But what about barbershops? I really need a haircut. :(

Written By: Sman12 on 04/16/20 at 9:47 am

Looks like they aren't gonna be open anytime soon in most states.

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/16/20 at 10:26 am

A few guys I work with are not only growing out their hair but their beard too. Guys I haven’t seen grow a beard in the 21 years I’ve worked with them. I could cut mine myself but maybe I’ll use this as a reason to grow my hair out again like I did in my old band days. I just don’t have as much as I used to.

We happen to be at that transition time where there’s not enough snow to plow and the grass isn’t growing yet. Otherwise it would be essential that people who can’t clear their own driveway have to be able to get out. And when the grass starts growing... unless you got your own mower, since you can’t hire it done and can’t have a friend come over.... it might be a jungle out there. It’s gonna be interesting.

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/16/20 at 10:46 am

You mean they'll be another pandemic?

Since nobody has immunity to this from the beginning, the best way to get over this is to have as many people get it as long as we have capacity to treat them, and let’s keep building capacity because this won’t be the last pandemic. A fully open world was too much, but now that some places have more capacity again let’s open some things and see how it goes. California has shipped ventilators to Michigan because they don’t need them now. Even Michigan was going to build a 1000 bed facility but decided on 250 because we don’t need it now. Sure we could hole up everybody forever and keep people safe but the economy will end up nonexistent. Just the government funding and rationing essential services.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/20 at 10:51 am

I have the same problem.

Written By: karen on 04/16/20 at 10:53 am

I used hair clippers to cut my sons hair.  He figured that even if I did a really bad job it would grow out eventually. In the end it didn't look too bad, though I didn't quite manage to keep the same style.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/16/20 at 10:54 am

Since nobody has immunity to this from the beginning, the best way to get over this is to have as many people get it as long as we have capacity to treat them, and let’s keep building capacity because this won’t be the last pandemic. A fully open world was too much, but now that some places have more capacity again let’s open some things and see how it goes. California has shipped ventilators to Michigan because they don’t need them now. Even Michigan was going to build a 1000 bed facility but decided on 250 because we don’t need it now. Sure we could hole up everybody forever and keep people safe but the economy will end up nonexistent. Just the government funding and rationing essential services.

Yeah, but as of now, social distancing, staying sanitary, and staying at home seem to be the best and only treatments out there.

If we plan on "reopening" the economy, then we should definitely start with states with less cases, deaths, and community spread. And the process of reopening businesses should be as meticulous as possible to make sure workers are fully protected from getting infected.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/20 at 10:55 am

I used hair clippers to cut my sons hair.  He figured that even if I did a really bad job it would grow out eventually. In the end it didn't look too bad, though I didn't quite manage to keep the same style.
O0

I have to see what my son's household has in the haircutting department.

Written By: Howard on 04/16/20 at 3:59 pm

Hopefully my barbershop will re-open in New York within the next few weeks.

Written By: Howard on 04/16/20 at 4:01 pm

A few guys I work with are not only growing out their hair but their beard too. Guys I haven’t seen grow a beard in the 21 years I’ve worked with them. I could cut mine myself but maybe I’ll use this as a reason to grow my hair out again like I did in my old band days. I just don’t have as much as I used to.

We happen to be at that transition time where there’s not enough snow to plow and the grass isn’t growing yet. Otherwise it would be essential that people who can’t clear their own driveway have to be able to get out. And when the grass starts growing... unless you got your own mower, since you can’t hire it done and can’t have a friend come over.... it might be a jungle out there. It’s gonna be interesting.

Wagon, I'm not going to attempt to cut my own hair after what I did to my my it back in 1979.

Written By: Howard on 04/16/20 at 4:02 pm

I have the same problem.

I don't even know anyone that will cut my hair at this time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/20 at 4:05 pm

I don't even know anyone that will cut my hair at this time.
I am hoping my family can or know any help.

Written By: wixness on 04/16/20 at 5:35 pm

I'm in the UK and I don't know how to feel about this if this advice would hold weight here too - I'm desperate to move out of my parents' house and the end of the lockdown means I could be ineligible to receive support for a national charity that rehouses certain youth due to how old I would be then. It may buy me time though to prepare moving out in a smoother manner but I don't know; I don't want to be stuck with my parents into my thirties.

Written By: 2001 on 04/16/20 at 5:50 pm

I'm in the UK and I don't know how to feel about this if this advice would hold weight here too - I'm desperate to move out of my parents' house and the end of the lockdown means I could be ineligible to receive support for a national charity that rehouses certain youth due to how old I would be then. It may buy me time though to prepare moving out in a smoother manner but I don't know; I don't want to be stuck with my parents into my thirties.

If you're okay with waiting a couple of years, can you apply for subsidized housing? ???

Written By: wixness on 04/16/20 at 6:21 pm

If you're okay with waiting a couple of years, can you apply for subsidized housing? ???
I'm not sure. The UK seems to be very enamored by Thatcher's legacy these days. I'll have to look around; I just don't think I can find a good source of income soon enough because I lack professional qualifications and I honestly find the professional world both annoying and intimidating.

Written By: 2001 on 04/16/20 at 6:47 pm

I'm not sure. The UK seems to be very enamored by Thatcher's legacy these days. I'll have to look around; I just don't think I can find a good source of income soon enough because I lack professional qualifications and I honestly find the professional world both annoying and intimidating.

Probably better to apply for that than stay in a homeless shelter tbh.

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/16/20 at 6:48 pm

Wagon, I'm not going to attempt to cut my own hair after what I did to my my it back in 1979.

I did before. In 2004 I had to go to my first court appearance after my kid’s mom left and I figured I should look better. It was after hours and nobody was open. So I took a mirror out of one bathroom and hung it on the door with a bungee cord. Lined up 3 mirrors so I could see behind myself. It took awhile but it turned out decent. And I did succeed in court that time.

Written By: wixness on 04/16/20 at 7:14 pm

Probably better to apply for that than stay in a homeless shelter tbh.
I prefer to be prepared for the worst and to live closer to my values, but I'll see what I can do. I want to leave my parents in my thirties.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/16/20 at 8:38 pm

I prefer to be prepared for the worst and to live closer to my values, but I'll see what I can do. I want to leave my parents in my thirties.

Good luck with your goals, man. I hope you do well with your transition to individual freedom.

Written By: 2001 on 04/16/20 at 9:01 pm

Remind me to convert you to capitalism before it's too late.

Written By: Howard on 04/17/20 at 7:25 am

I am hoping my family can or know any help.

My Father would just tell me to wait it out.

Written By: Howard on 04/17/20 at 7:28 am

I did before. In 2004 I had to go to my first court appearance after my kid’s mom left and I figured I should look better. It was after hours and nobody was open. So I took a mirror out of one bathroom and hung it on the door with a bungee cord. Lined up 3 mirrors so I could see behind myself. It took awhile but it turned out decent. And I did succeed in court that time.

If you would like to know I attempted to cut my own hair with a scissor back in 1979 when I was only 5 years old and I butchered it, cut my bangs off and it was shown in my class pictures.  :-[

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/17/20 at 7:43 am

My Father would just tell me to wait it out.
That is my exact plans.

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/17/20 at 9:07 am

If you would like to know I attempted to cut my own hair with a scissor back in 1979 when I was only 5 years old and I butchered it, cut my bangs off and it was shown in my class pictures.  :-[

My daughter did the same thing at about 5. But I have to give her credit, she was trying to fix a hack job that my ex mother in law did, most likely with several beers in her.

Written By: KatanaChick on 04/17/20 at 12:07 pm

I think it won't totally go away, there'll just be on and off spikes in numbers throughout the year.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/17/20 at 12:28 pm

I think it won't totally go away, there'll just be on and off spikes in numbers throughout the year.
In the same way normal flu strains comes back every year?

Written By: Howard on 04/17/20 at 2:16 pm

My daughter did the same thing at about 5. But I have to give her credit, she was trying to fix a hack job that my ex mother in law did, most likely with several beers in her.

My Mother was doing something, she must've been painting and stupid idiot me just grabbed a pair of scissors and cut my own hair, My Mother probably was pissed at me for being how young I was attempted to cut my own hair, If I can go back in time and tell my 5 year old self to not grab a scissor, my young me would've listened.  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...