inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: TV Commercials During The Pandemic

Written By: Sman12 on 04/15/20 at 12:57 pm

For those who still have cable TV in the US (or elsewhere), you may have noticed a shift in TV ads as they are addressing the current coronavirus situation with somber/empowering piano ballads, video montages, and optimistic announcers. Around late March, I started to experience commercials like that with car commercials like Toyota and Nissan. Then the tone quickly expanded to food, phone, social media, insurance, and other commercials/ads up to today.

It's a stark reminder of not only have our lives changed, but the television landscape has as well.

Here are a few examples:

nWwVFywBCeY

LZWG008ZaBI

There are even playlists of coronavirus commercials: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLScGM-Mfou4zHaA2OwOogY3YHvydAPeQV

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfYPG-otSZWpNooKJzYNz6H3lPAX0mM7H

Do you guys know more about ad reactions to the virus? Post them here.

Subject: Re: TV Commercials During The Pandemic

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/15/20 at 6:29 pm

I don’t have cable but I notice just about every commercial has changed for the times. I actually find it surprising when a commercial hasn’t changed.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/15/20 at 6:47 pm

I don’t have cable but I notice just about every commercial has changed for the times. I actually find it surprising when a commercial hasn’t changed.

I just wish they could come up with a way to do it without always using that mournful piano music or sometimes that long, drone synth music (or a combination of the two). It's meant to give the commercials an air of seriousness or gravity, but in actuality it's really cheesy and almost manipulative. Just let the commercial be serious by itself and forget the fake dirge music.

Written By: karen on 04/16/20 at 5:29 am

Can't say I've noticed this in the UK.

There have been some new adverts. The supermarkets have been showing their social distancing measures, special opening times for NHS and social care workers, and the more vulnerable members of society. One store has also included a method of texting a donation to an organisation making up food parcels.  There are also a couple of public service announcements from the government around the Stay Home, Protect the NHS, Save Lives message

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/20 at 6:14 am

It is the same as karen above for me, firstly since the start lockdown and self-isolation I have been watching mainstream television less and listening to the radio more.

Of the ads on the radio, they seem the same as before, even still advertising restaurants, and along with the ads there are the to quote karen "public service announcements from the government around the Stay Home, Protect the NHS, Save Lives messages".

Written By: Sman12 on 04/16/20 at 7:06 am

I just wish they could come up with a way to do it without always using that mournful piano music or sometimes that long, drone synth music (or a combination of the two). It's meant to give the commercials an air of seriousness or gravity, but in actuality it's really cheesy and almost manipulative. Just let the commercial be serious by itself and forget the fake dirge music.

Well, there was a Walmart ad where they played David Bowie's song "Heroes", and I thought the commercial was well put altogether.

Written By: Howard on 04/16/20 at 8:09 am

I know some music can make you feel really depressed.

Check for new replies or respond here...